Always activate Flash

Is there any way of always activating an out-of-date Flash player? I 
have Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.577 installed, and the only option FF 
gives me is "Never activate" or "Ask to activate", as "Always activate" 
is greyed out. I know that FF is trying to protect me from malware, but 
it is getting tiring having to tell it to let the flashplayer run each 
time I go to a new webpage.

I'm using FF 50.1.0 under Mint 17.3. Unfortunately, I have tried without 
success to update the flashplayer to 24.0.0.186 in Mint (I have 
dual-boot with Ubuntu 16.04 and have updated Flash in that without 
problem). Even when running as root I apparently do not have permission 
to delete the 11.2 libflashplayer.so and replace it with the 24.0 version.

-- 

Jeff
0
Jeff
1/7/2017 12:59:07 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 23910 articles. 6 followers. Post Follow

16 Replies
259 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 41

On 2017-01-07 7:59 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
> Is there any way of always activating an out-of-date Flash player? I
> have Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.577 installed, and the only option FF
> gives me is "Never activate" or "Ask to activate", as "Always activate"
> is greyed out. I know that FF is trying to protect me from malware, but
> it is getting tiring having to tell it to let the flashplayer run each
> time I go to a new webpage.
>
> I'm using FF 50.1.0 under Mint 17.3. Unfortunately, I have tried without
> success to update the flashplayer to 24.0.0.186 in Mint (I have
> dual-boot with Ubuntu 16.04 and have updated Flash in that without
> problem). Even when running as root I apparently do not have permission
> to delete the 11.2 libflashplayer.so and replace it with the 24.0 version.

I think it would be better to figure out why you can't update Flash on 
Mint.

Another thing to try: Setting Flash to never activate. Reason: When set 
to Never Activate, website will think you don't have Flash installed, 
and provide HTML5 video instead. So many websites have switched, I 
uninstalled Flash during the Christmas break.

-- 
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Mailing list/Newsgroup moderator
0
Chris
1/7/2017 8:29:34 PM
Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 2017-01-07 7:59 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> Is there any way of always activating an out-of-date Flash player? I
>> have Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.577 installed, and the only option FF
>> gives me is "Never activate" or "Ask to activate", as "Always activate"
>> is greyed out. I know that FF is trying to protect me from malware, but
>> it is getting tiring having to tell it to let the flashplayer run each
>> time I go to a new webpage.
>>
>> I'm using FF 50.1.0 under Mint 17.3. Unfortunately, I have tried without
>> success to update the flashplayer to 24.0.0.186 in Mint (I have
>> dual-boot with Ubuntu 16.04 and have updated Flash in that without
>> problem). Even when running as root I apparently do not have permission
>> to delete the 11.2 libflashplayer.so and replace it with the 24.0 version.
>
> I think it would be better to figure out why you can't update Flash on Mint.
>
> Another thing to try: Setting Flash to never activate. Reason: When set to Never Activate,
> website will think you don't have Flash installed, and provide HTML5 video instead. So
> many websites have switched, I uninstalled Flash during the Christmas break.

Have to be careful on getting rid of flash.  I've found that most US Fed, State, and Local 
Govt, and US industry (not retail or entertainment) sites use flash and not html5.
No flash = no NOAA weather.  No flash = no City of Houston zoning and planning info.
My own employer uses flash, no flash = no fuel to run your industrial and transportation 
equipment.

0
Paul
1/7/2017 10:51:44 PM
On 07/01/17 20:29, Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 2017-01-07 7:59 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
>> Is there any way of always activating an out-of-date Flash player? I
>> have Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.577 installed, and the only option FF
>> gives me is "Never activate" or "Ask to activate", as "Always activate"
>> is greyed out. I know that FF is trying to protect me from malware, but
>> it is getting tiring having to tell it to let the flashplayer run each
>> time I go to a new webpage.
>>
>> I'm using FF 50.1.0 under Mint 17.3. Unfortunately, I have tried without
>> success to update the flashplayer to 24.0.0.186 in Mint (I have
>> dual-boot with Ubuntu 16.04 and have updated Flash in that without
>> problem). Even when running as root I apparently do not have permission
>> to delete the 11.2 libflashplayer.so and replace it with the 24.0 version.
>
> I think it would be better to figure out why you can't update Flash on
> Mint.

Mint hasn't offered it on their repo (unlike Ubuntu). Attempts to 
install 24.0 by other means results in it being installed in a different 
folder (/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so) from 11.2 
(/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so). Firefox insists on using 
the latter folder - it just can't see the 24.0 file.

> Another thing to try: Setting Flash to never activate. Reason: When set
> to Never Activate, website will think you don't have Flash installed,
> and provide HTML5 video instead. So many websites have switched, I
> uninstalled Flash during the Christmas break.

Well, many websites in the USA may have changed, but not here in the UK. 
As far as I can tell, none of the TV companies have changed - BBC, ITV, 
Channel4 all tell me I need Flash to play any of their videos. Flash is, 
unfortunately, far from dead.

-- 

Jeff
0
Jeff
1/7/2017 11:09:45 PM
On 07/01/17 23:09, Jeff Layman wrote:

> As far as I can tell, none of the TV companies have changed - BBC,
> ITV, Channel4 all tell me I need Flash to play any of their videos.


I have just tried with Flash removed.
ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5: Yes.
*BBC*, Channel 4 News: *NO*!


> Flash is, unfortunately, far from dead.

Encouraged by the BBC, I'm hoping for early extinction - Flash will not
be mourned.

-- 
Regards,
Chris Luck
0
Chris
1/8/2017 5:29:57 AM
Chris Luck wrote:

> Jeff Layman wrote:
>
>> As far as I can tell, none of the TV companies have changed - BBC,
>> ITV, Channel4 all tell me I need Flash to play any of their videos.
>
> I have just tried with Flash removed.
> *BBC*, Channel 4 News: *NO*!

BBC news and iPlayer have been almost* flash-free for a year or more, 
any particular section you're seeing that claims it needs flash?

[*] You get an occasional video which claims you need flash, bizarrely 
sometimes a video will play fine as html5, but if you try to re-play it 
will say it needs flash, I find that faking the user agent to be a 
mobile device soon changes its mind and it then plays.

0
Andy
1/8/2017 10:07:45 AM
On 08/01/17 05:29, Chris Luck wrote:
> On 07/01/17 23:09, Jeff Layman wrote:
>
>> As far as I can tell, none of the TV companies have changed - BBC,
>> ITV, Channel4 all tell me I need Flash to play any of their videos.
>
>
> I have just tried with Flash removed.
> ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5: Yes.

I just tried again with ITV hub, selecting a programme at random (Family 
Guy on ITV2). All I got was a popup box telling me I had to Update 
Flash. Clicking on "More Info" led me to this page:
<http://www.itv.com/help/web/web-how-to#_what-software-do-i-need-to-view-shows-on-the-itv-hub>
.....
You'll need flash player version 10.2+ to use the ITV Hub.
.....

I have no idea why I get that and you can access ITV without Flash.

Similar problem with Ch4 - I need Flash. (Not sure about Ch5 as it seems 
I have to register to get anywhere.)

> *BBC*, Channel 4 News: *NO*!
>
>
>> Flash is, unfortunately, far from dead.
>
> Encouraged by the BBC, I'm hoping for early extinction - Flash will not
> be mourned.

If it's on the way out, why did Adobe update it on *all* platforms? That 
includes Linux, which it hasn't bothered with for a couple of years.

-- 

Jeff
0
Jeff
1/8/2017 10:08:46 AM
On 08/01/17 10:07, Andy Burns wrote:
> Chris Luck wrote:
>
>> Jeff Layman wrote:
>>
>>> As far as I can tell, none of the TV companies have changed - BBC,
>>> ITV, Channel4 all tell me I need Flash to play any of their videos.
>>
>> I have just tried with Flash removed.
>> *BBC*, Channel 4 News: *NO*!
>
> BBC news and iPlayer have been almost* flash-free for a year or more,
> any particular section you're seeing that claims it needs flash?

What do you see if you try to play the UK Forecast Video here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

> [*] You get an occasional video which claims you need flash, bizarrely
> sometimes a video will play fine as html5, but if you try to re-play it
> will say it needs flash, I find that faking the user agent to be a
> mobile device soon changes its mind and it then plays.

I've heard that is one way to get round the problem.

-- 

Jeff
0
Jeff
1/8/2017 10:24:56 AM
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 10:24:56 +0000, Jeff Layman
<jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 08/01/17 10:07, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Chris Luck wrote:
>>
>>> Jeff Layman wrote:
>>>
>>>> As far as I can tell, none of the TV companies have changed - BBC,
>>>> ITV, Channel4 all tell me I need Flash to play any of their videos.
>>>
>>> I have just tried with Flash removed.
>>> *BBC*, Channel 4 News: *NO*!
>>
>> BBC news and iPlayer have been almost* flash-free for a year or more,
>> any particular section you're seeing that claims it needs flash?
>
>What do you see if you try to play the UK Forecast Video here:
>http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

Works for me. Mint 18.1 & FF 50.1.0  Shockwave Flash 24.0.r0 updated
on 10 December 2016.
>
>> [*] You get an occasional video which claims you need flash, bizarrely
>> sometimes a video will play fine as html5, but if you try to re-play it
>> will say it needs flash, I find that faking the user agent to be a
>> mobile device soon changes its mind and it then plays.
>
>I've heard that is one way to get round the problem.
-- 
Pete
 
0
pete
1/8/2017 11:01:16 AM
Jeff Layman wrote:

> What do you see if you try to play the UK Forecast Video here:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

Yep, that is one of the pages that says I "need" flash.

But if I set the user agent to Safari7/Windows7 it plays the video quite 
happily as html5, so I see that as BBC laziness ...



0
Andy
1/8/2017 11:04:08 AM
On 08/01/17 11:01, pete@never.here wrote:
>>
>> What do you see if you try to play the UK Forecast Video here:
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/
>
> Works for me. Mint 18.1 & FF 50.1.0  Shockwave Flash 24.0.r0 updated
> on 10 December 2016.

Thanks for that. Can you remember if Mint offered 24.0.r0 as an update 
to 18.1 via its Update Manager, or did you install it separately? It 
hasn't been offered on 17.3 Update Manager as far as I am aware.

--

Jeff
0
Jeff
1/8/2017 11:41:27 AM
On 01/08/2017 11:07 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> Chris Luck wrote:
>> Jeff Layman wrote:
>>> As far as I can tell, none of the TV companies have changed - BBC,
>>> ITV, Channel4 all tell me I need Flash to play any of their videos.
>>
>> I have just tried with Flash removed.
>> *BBC*, Channel 4 News: *NO*!
> 
> BBC news and iPlayer have been almost* flash-free for a year or more,
> any particular section you're seeing that claims it needs flash?

This one requires Flash for me.
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35384769

The BBC still requiring Flash at all is just ridiculous.
0
Christian
1/8/2017 12:16:42 PM
On 01/08/2017 05:08 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 08/01/17 05:29, Chris Luck wrote:
>> On 07/01/17 23:09, Jeff Layman wrote:
>>
>>> As far as I can tell, none of the TV companies have changed - BBC,
>>> ITV, Channel4 all tell me I need Flash to play any of their videos.
>>
>>
>> I have just tried with Flash removed.
>> ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5: Yes.
>
> I just tried again with ITV hub, selecting a programme at random 
> (Family Guy on ITV2). All I got was a popup box telling me I had to 
> Update Flash. Clicking on "More Info" led me to this page:
> <http://www.itv.com/help/web/web-how-to#_what-software-do-i-need-to-view-shows-on-the-itv-hub> 
>
> ....
> You'll need flash player version 10.2+ to use the ITV Hub.
> ....
>
> I have no idea why I get that and you can access ITV without Flash.
>
> Similar problem with Ch4 - I need Flash. (Not sure about Ch5 as it 
> seems I have to register to get anywhere.)
>
>> *BBC*, Channel 4 News: *NO*!
>>
>>
>>> Flash is, unfortunately, far from dead.
>>
>> Encouraged by the BBC, I'm hoping for early extinction - Flash will not
>> be mourned.
>
> If it's on the way out, why did Adobe update it on *all* platforms? 
> That includes Linux, which it hasn't bothered with for a couple of years.
>

> Because this change is primarily a security initiative, some features 
> (like GPU 3D acceleration and premium video DRM) will not be fully 
> implemented.

REF: 
https://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2016/08/beta-news-flash-player-npapi-for-linux.html#sthash.v72T7bng.dpbs

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/12/18/after-ignoring-linux-for-years-adobe-releases-flash-24-for-linux/


-- 
Visit Pittsburgh <http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/>
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

0
WaltS48
1/8/2017 2:22:11 PM
On 01/07/2017 03:09 PM, Jeff Layman wrote:
>>> I'm using FF 50.1.0 under Mint 17.3.
> ...
> Attempts to
> install 24.0 by other means results in it being installed in a different
> folder (/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so)

I run Mint 17.3 xfce, 32-bit, and that is where my flash plugin is.

> from 11.2 (/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so).

In that folder I have a symlink,
   (flashplugin-alternative.so),
which points to another symlink,
   (/etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin),
which points to the real plugin.

> Firefox insists on using the latter folder - it just can't see the 24.0 file.

I had no trouble drag/drop an updated libflashplayer.so file into 
/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/ after renaming the old one there.
0
prairiesky
1/9/2017 2:01:54 AM
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 11:41:27 +0000, Jeff Layman
<jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 08/01/17 11:01, pete@never.here wrote:
>>>
>>> What do you see if you try to play the UK Forecast Video here:
>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/
>>
>> Works for me. Mint 18.1 & FF 50.1.0  Shockwave Flash 24.0.r0 updated
>> on 10 December 2016.
>
>Thanks for that. Can you remember if Mint offered 24.0.r0 as an update 
>to 18.1 via its Update Manager, or did you install it separately? It 
>hasn't been offered on 17.3 Update Manager as far as I am aware.

I can't remember knowingly updating it but I did update from 18 to
18.1 on December 19th.  Looking in the "Update manager > view >
History of update" it isn't listed there, for either 10th or 19th of
December.

Searching for "Shockwave Flash 24.0.r0" on the Linux Mint forums
the results suggest that you will have to update to 18 or 18.1 to get
the latest version. That's my reading of it - I could be wrong
though..

Sorry I can't be more help.
-- 
Pete
 
0
pete
1/9/2017 11:21:42 AM
On 09/01/17 11:21, pete@never.here wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 11:41:27 +0000, Jeff Layman
> <jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 08/01/17 11:01, pete@never.here wrote:
>>>>
>>>> What do you see if you try to play the UK Forecast Video here:
>>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/
>>>
>>> Works for me. Mint 18.1 & FF 50.1.0  Shockwave Flash 24.0.r0 updated
>>> on 10 December 2016.
>>
>> Thanks for that. Can you remember if Mint offered 24.0.r0 as an update
>> to 18.1 via its Update Manager, or did you install it separately? It
>> hasn't been offered on 17.3 Update Manager as far as I am aware.
>
> I can't remember knowingly updating it but I did update from 18 to
> 18.1 on December 19th.  Looking in the "Update manager > view >
> History of update" it isn't listed there, for either 10th or 19th of
> December.
>
> Searching for "Shockwave Flash 24.0.r0" on the Linux Mint forums
> the results suggest that you will have to update to 18 or 18.1 to get
> the latest version. That's my reading of it - I could be wrong
> though..
>
> Sorry I can't be more help.

That /was/ of help. It led me to look through forum posts again, and I 
found someone had got 24.0 to work under Mint 17.3. That led me to try 
again to remove the old libflashplayer.so and replace it with the new 
one. Last time Mint wouldn't allow me to *delete* the old file as I 
didn't have permission (although I was running as root), but this time 
it allowed me to *move* it to trash! I've no idea why. Then I just 
replaced it with the 24.0 libflashplayer.so.

When I ran FF and checked in add-ons, the 24.0 Flashplayer was there and 
worked perfectly.

-- 

Jeff
0
Jeff
1/9/2017 6:20:37 PM
On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 18:20:37 +0000, Jeff Layman
<jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 09/01/17 11:21, pete@never.here wrote:
>> On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 11:41:27 +0000, Jeff Layman
>> <jmlayman@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> On 08/01/17 11:01, pete@never.here wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> What do you see if you try to play the UK Forecast Video here:
>>>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/
>>>>
>>>> Works for me. Mint 18.1 & FF 50.1.0  Shockwave Flash 24.0.r0 updated
>>>> on 10 December 2016.
>>>
>>> Thanks for that. Can you remember if Mint offered 24.0.r0 as an update
>>> to 18.1 via its Update Manager, or did you install it separately? It
>>> hasn't been offered on 17.3 Update Manager as far as I am aware.
>>
>> I can't remember knowingly updating it but I did update from 18 to
>> 18.1 on December 19th.  Looking in the "Update manager > view >
>> History of update" it isn't listed there, for either 10th or 19th of
>> December.
>>
>> Searching for "Shockwave Flash 24.0.r0" on the Linux Mint forums
>> the results suggest that you will have to update to 18 or 18.1 to get
>> the latest version. That's my reading of it - I could be wrong
>> though..
>>
>> Sorry I can't be more help.
>
>That /was/ of help. It led me to look through forum posts again, and I 
>found someone had got 24.0 to work under Mint 17.3. That led me to try 
>again to remove the old libflashplayer.so and replace it with the new 
>one. Last time Mint wouldn't allow me to *delete* the old file as I 
>didn't have permission (although I was running as root), but this time 
>it allowed me to *move* it to trash! I've no idea why. Then I just 
>replaced it with the 24.0 libflashplayer.so.
>
>When I ran FF and checked in add-ons, the 24.0 Flashplayer was there and 
>worked perfectly.

Glad to hear you've got it sorted.
-- 
Pete
 
0
pete
1/10/2017 3:19:16 PM
Reply: