A Medicare.gov Site Doesn't Display Properly (FF 58.0.2)

Running FF 58.0.2 on Win 10 Home (fully up to date).  Even when using FF
in Safe Mode, it does not display the following URL properly:
https://www.medicare.gov/physiciancompare/

Works fine with chrome and edge.

Am I the only one?
0
Peter
2/8/2018 7:57:49 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 24216 articles. 7 followers. Post Follow

On 2/8/18 2:57 PM, Peter wrote:
> Running FF 58.0.2 on Win 10 Home (fully up to date).� Even when using
> FF in Safe Mode, it does not display the following URL properly:
> https://www.medicare.gov/physiciancompare/
>
> Works fine with chrome and edge.
>
> Am I the only one?

Failing here on Mac OS X with FF 56.0.2

OK in Safari
0
Reed
2/8/2018 8:08:41 PM
On 2/8/2018 2:57 PM, Peter wrote:
> Running FF 58.0.2 on Win 10 Home (fully up to date).� Even when using FF in
> Safe Mode, it does not display the following URL properly:
> https://www.medicare.gov/physiciancompare/
>
> Works fine with chrome and edge.
>
> Am I the only one?

Can you give a better description than 'does not display properly'? That
doesn't give much to go on and any anomaly you are noticing might not be
noticeable to anyone else even if it is there.

I looked at the URL using 59.0b7 (64-bit) under W10 1709 and it seem to
look OK and what I've tried worked.
0
John
2/8/2018 8:20:26 PM
On 8-2-2018 20:57, Peter wrote:
> Running FF 58.0.2 on Win 10 Home (fully up to date).  Even when using FF
> in Safe Mode, it does not display the following URL properly:
> https://www.medicare.gov/physiciancompare/
>
> Works fine with chrome and edge.
>
> Am I the only one?

Fine here (XP PRO FF ESR 45.9.0)
0
Sjouke
2/8/2018 8:25:59 PM
On 2/8/2018 3:20 PM, John McGaw wrote:
> On 2/8/2018 2:57 PM, Peter wrote:
>> Running FF 58.0.2 on Win 10 Home (fully up to date).  Even when
>> using FF in Safe Mode, it does not display the following URL
>> properly: https://www.medicare.gov/physiciancompare/
>>
>> Works fine with chrome and edge.
>>
>> Am I the only one?
>
> Can you give a better description than 'does not display properly'?
> That doesn't give much to go on and any anomaly you are noticing
> might not be noticeable to anyone else even if it is there.
>
> I looked at the URL using 59.0b7 (64-bit) under W10 1709 and it seem
> to look OK and what I've tried worked.

With FF, only the top gray title bar area (with Medicare.gov, Physician
Compare, home, about, resources, etc) and the bottom gray area (with
about medicare | medicare glossary and the additional text that appears
below that) display.  The entire body of the page, starting with the
words "share  print" on the right side of a large black area down to and
including the blue bar with the words "have questions or comments?" are
not displayed.  Also, at the very bottom right of the page, the "Back to
top" box superimposed on the seal is missing.

There's probably something wrong with the coding of this page because
all the other pages on the medicare.gov web site seem to display OK with
FF.  My layman's conclusion is that FF is super-sensitive to page coding
and the browsers that display the page properly (so far, chrome, edge,
and safari have been mentioned) are more forgiving.
0
Peter
2/8/2018 8:34:21 PM
Peter wrote:

> Running FF 58.0.2 on Win 10 Home (fully up to date).  Even when using FF
> in Safe Mode, it does not display the following URL properly:
> https://www.medicare.gov/physiciancompare/
>
> Works fine with chrome and edge.
>
> Am I the only one?

Firefox 58.0.2
Windows 7 Home x64 SP-1

Display okays for me ... AFTER allowing several off-domain resources in
uMatrix (configured only to block off-domain scripts) and uBlock Origin.
One was ticdn.com. CDNs (Content Delivery Networks supply ad content and
why they get blocked, by default.  Once I allowed ticdn in both
blockers, a whole bunch more off-domain resources showed up, including
digitalgov.gov.  The other off-domain resources that showed up after
allowing ticdn were for tracking.  Wasn't going to bother drilling
through the rest for a web site that is obviously riddled with ads and
multiple tracking methods (optimizely, chartbeat, Google analytics).
You'll have to decide for yourself if you are willing to enable all the
ads and tracking of that site in Firefox.

In Google Chrome, the site doesn't demand digitalgov or other ad and
tracking content.  So the page paints okay in that web browser.  You'll
have to ask the site why they deliver different content to Firefox
visitors than for their Google Chrome visitors.  The site it testing
which client and perhaps the version of the client that is connecting to
it and alters its content.

Did you retry with Firefox in its safe mode (to eliminate interference
caused by any extensions you installed into Firefox)?  Might help but
won't alter the site delivers different content based on the client.
0
VanguardLH
2/8/2018 8:46:24 PM
On 02/08/2018 02:57 PM, Peter wrote:
> Running FF 58.0.2 on Win 10 Home (fully up to date).  Even when using FF
> in Safe Mode, it does not display the following URL properly:
> https://www.medicare.gov/physiciancompare/
>
> Works fine with chrome and edge.
>
> Am I the only one?

Fine here with FF58.01, Ubuntu16.04

--
Caver1
0
On 02/08/2018 03:34 PM, Peter wrote:
> On 2/8/2018 3:20 PM, John McGaw wrote:
>> On 2/8/2018 2:57 PM, Peter wrote:
>>> Running FF 58.0.2 on Win 10 Home (fully up to date).  Even when
>>> using FF in Safe Mode, it does not display the following URL
>>> properly: https://www.medicare.gov/physiciancompare/
>>>
>>> Works fine with chrome and edge.
>>>
>>> Am I the only one?
>>
>> Can you give a better description than 'does not display properly'?
>> That doesn't give much to go on and any anomaly you are noticing
>> might not be noticeable to anyone else even if it is there.
>>
>> I looked at the URL using 59.0b7 (64-bit) under W10 1709 and it seem
>> to look OK and what I've tried worked.
>
> With FF, only the top gray title bar area (with Medicare.gov, Physician
> Compare, home, about, resources, etc) and the bottom gray area (with
> about medicare | medicare glossary and the additional text that appears
> below that) display.  The entire body of the page, starting with the
> words "share  print" on the right side of a large black area down to and
> including the blue bar with the words "have questions or comments?" are
> not displayed.  Also, at the very bottom right of the page, the "Back to
> top" box superimposed on the seal is missing.
>
> There's probably something wrong with the coding of this page because
> all the other pages on the medicare.gov web site seem to display OK with
> FF.  My layman's conclusion is that FF is super-sensitive to page coding
> and the browsers that display the page properly (so far, chrome, edge,
> and safari have been mentioned) are more forgiving.

Do you have javascript blocked?

--
Caver1
0
On 08-Feb-2018 14:57, Peter wrote:
> Running FF 58.0.2 on Win 10 Home (fully up to date).� Even when using FF
> in Safe Mode, it does not display the following URL properly:
> https://www.medicare.gov/physiciancompare/
>
> Works fine with chrome and edge.
>
> Am I the only one?

Yep.

Windows 10 Home and Firefox 58.0.2 64 bits and everything working fine
on that site.
0
Endegee
2/8/2018 9:34:24 PM
On 2/8/18 3:56 PM, Caver1 wrote:
> On 02/08/2018 03:34 PM, Peter wrote:

>>> Can you give a better description than 'does not display properly'?
>>> That doesn't give much to go on and any anomaly you are noticing
>>> might not be noticeable to anyone else even if it is there.
>>>
>>> I looked at the URL using 59.0b7 (64-bit) under W10 1709 and it seem
>>> to look OK and what I've tried worked.
>>
>> With FF, only the top gray title bar area (with Medicare.gov, Physician
>> Compare, home, about, resources, etc) and the bottom gray area (with
>> about medicare | medicare glossary and the additional text that appears
>> below that) display.  The entire body of the page, starting with the
>> words "share  print" on the right side of a large black area down to
>> and
>> including the blue bar with the words "have questions or comments?" are
>> not displayed.  Also, at the very bottom right of the page, the
>> "Back to
>> top" box superimposed on the seal is missing.
>>
>> There's probably something wrong with the coding of this page because
>> all the other pages on the medicare.gov web site seem to display OK
>> with
>> FF.  My layman's conclusion is that FF is super-sensitive to page
>> coding
>> and the browsers that display the page properly (so far, chrome, edge,
>> and safari have been mentioned) are more forgiving.
>>

> Do you have javascript blocked?

With JS DISabled, I get different error, as follows

The page could not be loaded. This application currently does not
support browsers with "JavaScript" disabled. Please enable JavaScript
and refresh the page to view this application.

With JS enabled, only get header and footer of page, no content.
0
Reed
2/8/2018 9:37:18 PM
On 02/08/2018 04:37 PM, Reed wrote:
> On 2/8/18 3:56 PM, Caver1 wrote:

>>> With FF, only the top gray title bar area (with Medicare.gov, Physician
>>> Compare, home, about, resources, etc) and the bottom gray area (with
>>> about medicare | medicare glossary and the additional text that appears
>>> below that) display.  The entire body of the page, starting with the
>>> words "share  print" on the right side of a large black area down to
>>> and
>>> including the blue bar with the words "have questions or comments?" are
>>> not displayed.  Also, at the very bottom right of the page, the
>>> "Back to
>>> top" box superimposed on the seal is missing.
>>>
>>> There's probably something wrong with the coding of this page because
>>> all the other pages on the medicare.gov web site seem to display OK
>>> with
>>> FF.  My layman's conclusion is that FF is super-sensitive to page
>>> coding
>>> and the browsers that display the page properly (so far, chrome, edge,
>>> and safari have been mentioned) are more forgiving.
>>>

>> Do you have javascript blocked?
>>

> With JS DISabled, I get different error, as follows
>
> The page could not be loaded. This application currently does not
> support browsers with "JavaScript" disabled. Please enable JavaScript
> and refresh the page to view this application.
>
> With JS enabled, only get header and footer of page, no content.

Try a new profile and see what happens.

--
Caver1
0
On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 14:57:49 -0500, Peter <pkent@netzero.com> wrote:

>Running FF 58.0.2 on Win 10 Home (fully up to date).  Even when using FF
>in Safe Mode, it does not display the following URL properly:
>https://www.medicare.gov/physiciancompare/
>
>Works fine with chrome and edge.
>
>Am I the only one?

You might be the only one. It looks fine with 58.0.2 here.
0
Ken
--------------020705060602090301070304

On 08/02/2018 19:57, Peter wrote:
> Running FF 58.0.2 on Win 10 Home (fully up to date). Even when using
> FF in Safe Mode, it does not display the following URL properly:
> https://www.medicare.gov/physiciancompare/
>
> Works fine with chrome and edge.
>
> Am I the only one?

Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies to see if it makes any
difference?  Sometimes your cache might be corrupted and this has an
impact on other sites.

--------------020705060602090301070304

  <head>
  </head>
      cite="mid:mailman.113.1518119900.2179.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org"
      type="cite">Running FF 58.0.2 on Win 10 Home (fully up to date).
      <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://www.medicare.gov/physiciancompare/">https://www.medicare.gov/physiciancompare/</a>
      Works fine with chrome and edge.
      Am I the only one?
    Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies to see if it makes
    any difference?  Sometimes your cache might be corrupted and this
    has an impact on other sites.<br>
          yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align:
          center; margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 600 million
          devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is
          higher than any previous version of windows.</div>

--------------020705060602090301070304--
0
Good
2/9/2018 1:49:02 AM
On 2/8/2018 3:56 PM, Caver1 wrote:
> On 02/08/2018 03:34 PM, Peter wrote:

>>> Can you give a better description than 'does not display
>>> properly'? That doesn't give much to go on and any anomaly you
>>> are noticing might not be noticeable to anyone else even if it is
>>> there.
>>>
>>> I looked at the URL using 59.0b7 (64-bit) under W10 1709 and it
>>> seem to look OK and what I've tried worked.
>>
>> With FF, only the top gray title bar area (with Medicare.gov,
>> Physician Compare, home, about, resources, etc) and the bottom gray
>> area (with about medicare | medicare glossary and the additional
>> text that appears below that) display.  The entire body of the
>> page, starting with the words "share  print" on the right side of a
>> large black area down to and including the blue bar with the words
>> "have questions or comments?" are not displayed.  Also, at the very
>> bottom right of the page, the "Back to top" box superimposed on the
>> seal is missing.
>>
>> There's probably something wrong with the coding of this page
>> because all the other pages on the medicare.gov web site seem to
>> display OK with FF.  My layman's conclusion is that FF is
>> super-sensitive to page coding and the browsers that display the
>> page properly (so far, chrome, edge, and safari have been
>> mentioned) are more forgiving.
>>

> Do you have javascript blocked?

I don't know.  As I said, I tried it in Safe Mode and it still didn't
display properly.  Does FF 58 block javascript by default?  How can I
check that?
0
Peter
2/9/2018 1:54:30 PM

On 2/8/2018 8:49 PM, Good Guy wrote:
> On 08/02/2018 19:57, Peter wrote:
>> Running FF 58.0.2 on Win 10 Home (fully up to date). Even when
>> using FF in Safe Mode, it does not display the following URL
>> properly: https://www.medicare.gov/physiciancompare/
>>
>> Works fine with chrome and edge.
>>
>> Am I the only one?
>
> Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies to see if it makes any
>  difference?  Sometimes your cache might be corrupted and this has an
>  impact on other sites.

Clearing cache and cookies made no difference.  Some here have reported
that that page displays properly using the same FF version and OS that
I'm using.  It may be a profile issue, but as I can easily use Chrome
for that page, I see no reason to go through the bother of starting a
clean profile and going through all the personalization issues when
every other web site I use (including all the other pages on the
medicare web site) seem to work properly.  Thanks to all who have
provided feedback and made suggestions.  Perhaps one of the experts can
determine what it is about this specific page on the medicare.gov web
site that is anomalous compared to all the other pages.

0
Peter
2/9/2018 2:02:56 PM
On 02/09/2018 09:02 AM, Peter wrote:
> On 2/8/2018 8:49 PM, Good Guy wrote:
>> On 08/02/2018 19:57, Peter wrote:
>>> Running FF 58.0.2 on Win 10 Home (fully up to date). Even when
>>> using FF in Safe Mode, it does not display the following URL
>>> properly: https://www.medicare.gov/physiciancompare/
>>>
>>> Works fine with chrome and edge.
>>>
>>> Am I the only one?
>>
>> Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies to see if it makes any
>>   difference?  Sometimes your cache might be corrupted and this has an
>>   impact on other sites.
>>

> Clearing cache and cookies made no difference.  Some here have reported
> that that page displays properly using the same FF version and OS that
> I'm using.  It may be a profile issue, but as I can easily use Chrome
> for that page, I see no reason to go through the bother of starting a
> clean profile and going through all the personalization issues when
> every other web site I use (including all the other pages on the
> medicare web site) seem to work properly.  Thanks to all who have
> provided feedback and made suggestions.  Perhaps one of the experts can
> determine what it is about this specific page on the medicare.gov web
> site that is anomalous compared to all the other pages.

When it seems that no one else here is having the same problem as you
how is anybody else going to solve this problem if you don't try the
suggestions that are given. It looks as though this is something
particular to your setup.
Trying a new empty  profile will show if it's something in your set up
or maybe in your install.

--
Caver1
0
On 02/09/2018 08:54 AM, Peter wrote:
> On 2/8/2018 3:56 PM, Caver1 wrote:

>>> With FF, only the top gray title bar area (with Medicare.gov,
>>> Physician Compare, home, about, resources, etc) and the bottom gray
>>> area (with about medicare | medicare glossary and the additional
>>> text that appears below that) display.  The entire body of the
>>> page, starting with the words "share  print" on the right side of a
>>> large black area down to and including the blue bar with the words
>>> "have questions or comments?" are not displayed.  Also, at the very
>>> bottom right of the page, the "Back to top" box superimposed on the
>>> seal is missing.
>>>
>>> There's probably something wrong with the coding of this page
>>> because all the other pages on the medicare.gov web site seem to
>>> display OK with FF.  My layman's conclusion is that FF is
>>> super-sensitive to page coding and the browsers that display the
>>> page properly (so far, chrome, edge, and safari have been
>>> mentioned) are more forgiving.
>>>

>> Do you have javascript blocked?
>>

> I don't know.  As I said, I tried it in Safe Mode and it still didn't
> display properly.  Does FF 58 block javascript by default?  How can I
> check that?

Do you use the Noscipt addon or anything similar? From the sounds of it
you don't.

--
Caver1
0
On 2/9/18 11:03 AM, Caver1 wrote:
> On 02/09/2018 09:02 AM, Peter wrote:

>>> Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies to see if it makes any
>>>   difference?  Sometimes your cache might be corrupted and this has an
>>>   impact on other sites.
>>>

>> Clearing cache and cookies made no difference.  Some here have reported
>> that that page displays properly using the same FF version and OS that
>> I'm using.  It may be a profile issue, but as I can easily use Chrome
>> for that page, I see no reason to go through the bother of starting a
>> clean profile and going through all the personalization issues when
>> every other web site I use (including all the other pages on the
>> medicare web site) seem to work properly.  Thanks to all who have
>> provided feedback and made suggestions.  Perhaps one of the experts can
>> determine what it is about this specific page on the medicare.gov web
>> site that is anomalous compared to all the other pages.
>>

> When it seems that no one else here is having the same problem as you
> how is anybody else going to solve this problem if you don't try the
> suggestions that are given. It looks as though this is something
> particular to your setup.
> Trying a new empty  profile will show if it's something in your set up
> or maybe in your install.

FYI, as posted here yesterday at 3:08 ET:

"Failing here on Mac OS X with FF 56.0.2

OK in Safari"

Also tried with JS disabled, got error message saying JS required.

FWIW, I'm not comfortable fiddling with Profiles when everything else
works, and there is an alternative way to access this one webpage.

0
Reed
2/9/2018 5:41:56 PM
On 2/9/2018 12:06 PM, Caver1 wrote:
> On 02/09/2018 08:54 AM, Peter wrote:

>>> Do you have javascript blocked?
>>>

>> I don't know.  As I said, I tried it in Safe Mode and it still
>> didn't display properly.  Does FF 58 block javascript by default?
>> How can I check that?
>>

> Do you use the Noscipt addon or anything similar? From the sounds of
> it you don't.

In normal (non-safe mode) use, I have Privacy Badger and uBlock origin
installed.  However, I assume they (as well as Noscript - even if I had
it installed, which I don't) would not be loaded in safe-mode. And, as
I've mentioned before, the page doesn't display properly even in safe
mode.  VanguardLH recently posted an interesting analysis of which
javascripts are invoked on the medicare web page in question, depending
upon which browser (FF or Chrome) is being used.  I suspect that
difference holds the key to why the page is not being properly displayed
- at least for me.
0
Peter
2/9/2018 6:02:32 PM
On 2/9/2018 12:06 PM, Caver1 wrote:
> On 02/09/2018 08:54 AM, Peter wrote:

>>> Do you have javascript blocked?
>>>

>> I don't know.  As I said, I tried it in Safe Mode and it still
>> didn't display properly.  Does FF 58 block javascript by default?
>> How can I check that?
>>

> Do you use the Noscipt addon or anything similar? From the sounds of
> it you don't.

In normal (non-safe mode) use, I have Privacy Badger and uBlock origin
installed.  However, I assume they (as well as Noscript - even if I had
it installed, which I don't) would not be loaded in safe-mode. And, as
I've mentioned before, the page doesn't display properly even in safe
mode.  VanguardLH recently posted an interesting analysis of which
javascripts are invoked on the medicare web page in question, depending
upon which browser (FF or Chrome) is being used.  I suspect that
difference holds the key to why the page is not being properly displayed
- at least for me.
0
Peter
2/9/2018 6:02:32 PM
On 2/9/2018 12:06 PM, Caver1 wrote:
> On 02/09/2018 08:54 AM, Peter wrote:

>>> Do you have javascript blocked?
>>>

>> I don't know.  As I said, I tried it in Safe Mode and it still
>> didn't display properly.  Does FF 58 block javascript by default?
>> How can I check that?
>>

> Do you use the Noscipt addon or anything similar? From the sounds of
> it you don't.

In normal (non-safe mode) use, I have Privacy Badger and uBlock origin
installed.  However, I assume they (as well as Noscript - even if I had
it installed, which I don't) would not be loaded in safe-mode. And, as
I've mentioned before, the page doesn't display properly even in safe
mode.  VanguardLH recently posted an interesting analysis of which
javascripts are invoked on the medicare web page in question, depending
upon which browser (FF or Chrome) is being used.  I suspect that
difference holds the key to why the page is not being properly displayed
- at least for me.
0
Peter
2/9/2018 6:02:32 PM
On 02/09/2018 07:54 AM, Peter wrote:

[snip]

>> Do you have javascript blocked?
>>

> I don't know.� As I said, I tried it in Safe Mode and it still didn't
> display properly.� Does FF 58 block javascript by default?� How can I
> check that?

With Javascript blocked, you get nothing but a plain white page.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Bad command. Bad, bad, command! Sit! Bark! Stay!"
0
Mark
2/9/2018 6:23:47 PM
On 02/09/2018 01:02 PM, Peter wrote:
> On 2/9/2018 12:06 PM, Caver1 wrote:

>>> I don't know.  As I said, I tried it in Safe Mode and it still
>>> didn't display properly.  Does FF 58 block javascript by default?
>>> How can I check that?
>>>

>> Do you use the Noscipt addon or anything similar? From the sounds of
>> it you don't.
>>

> In normal (non-safe mode) use, I have Privacy Badger and uBlock origin
> installed.  However, I assume they (as well as Noscript - even if I had
> it installed, which I don't) would not be loaded in safe-mode. And, as
> I've mentioned before, the page doesn't display properly even in safe
> mode.  VanguardLH recently posted an interesting analysis of which
> javascripts are invoked on the medicare web page in question, depending
> upon which browser (FF or Chrome) is being used.  I suspect that
> difference holds the key to why the page is not being properly displayed
> - at least for me.

If you don't have any addons that block javascript I doubt if that's
your problem.
ublock Origin can block inline javascript but only if you are using it
as an advanced user.

--
Caver1
0
On 02/09/2018 08:54 AM, Peter wrote:
> On 2/8/2018 3:56 PM, Caver1 wrote:

>>> With FF, only the top gray title bar area (with Medicare.gov,
>>> Physician Compare, home, about, resources, etc) and the bottom gray
>>> area (with about medicare | medicare glossary and the additional
>>> text that appears below that) display.  The entire body of the
>>> page, starting with the words "share  print" on the right side of a
>>> large black area down to and including the blue bar with the words
>>> "have questions or comments?" are not displayed.  Also, at the very
>>> bottom right of the page, the "Back to top" box superimposed on the
>>> seal is missing.
>>>
>>> There's probably something wrong with the coding of this page
>>> because all the other pages on the medicare.gov web site seem to
>>> display OK with FF.  My layman's conclusion is that FF is
>>> super-sensitive to page coding and the browsers that display the
>>> page properly (so far, chrome, edge, and safari have been
>>> mentioned) are more forgiving.
>>>

>> Do you have javascript blocked?
>>

> I don't know.  As I said, I tried it in Safe Mode and it still didn't
> display properly.  Does FF 58 block javascript by default?  How can I
> check that?

No, you have to change the default behavior in about:config. The default
is to allow.

--
Caver1
0
On 9/2/2018 03:57, Peter wrote:
> Running FF 58.0.2 on Win 10 Home (fully up to date).  Even when using FF
> in Safe Mode, it does not display the following URL properly:
 >
> <https://www.medicare.gov/physiciancompare/ >

Add-ons? Did you try safe mode?

--
   @~@   Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty!
On 02/09/2018 02:51 PM, Caver1 wrote:
> On 02/09/2018 08:54 AM, Peter wrote:

>>> Do you have javascript blocked?
>>>

>> I don't know.  As I said, I tried it in Safe Mode and it still didn't
>> display properly.  Does FF 58 block javascript by default?  How can I
>> check that?
>>

> No, you have to change the default behavior in about:config. The default
> is to allow.

Sorry to answer how to check;
Type about:config in the address bar, Check that you will be careful,
then in the search bar of the page that loads type > javascript.enabled
 >  the value shown should be true, if not double click on it to change
it's value.

--
Caver1
0
On 2/8/2018 2:57 PM, Peter wrote:
> Running FF 58.0.2 on Win 10 Home (fully up to date).� Even when using FF
> in Safe Mode, it does not display the following URL properly:
> https://www.medicare.gov/physiciancompare/
>
> Works fine with chrome and edge.
>
> Am I the only one?

It appears you are, except for the user using 56.0.2 on a Mac.

The page displays fine here using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64;
x64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/58.0 Version 58.0.2 Build ID
20180206200532 with extensions enabled and in safe mode.

I get a door hanger asking me to Allow Location Access. Did you allow or
select "Don't Allow". I always select "Don't Allow" and enable "Remember
this decision".

The only other option for you is to test in a new profile.

Type about:profiles into the address bar, click the "Create a New
Profile" button, click "Next", give the profile a name, click "Finish",
then select the profile and click "Launch profile in new browser".

Test the site and report back. You may need to do a "Refresh Firefox".
0
WaltS48
2/10/2018 2:56:47 PM
On 2/9/2018 3:34 PM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
> On 9/2/2018 03:57, Peter wrote:
>> Running FF 58.0.2 on Win 10 Home (fully up to date).  Even when using FF
>> in Safe Mode, it does not display the following URL properly:
>  >
>> <https://www.medicare.gov/physiciancompare/ >
>
> Add-ons? Did you try safe mode?

Yes Peter did as stated in the post you replied to.

"Even when using FF in Safe Mode, it does not display the following URL
properly:"
0
WaltS48
2/10/2018 3:00:23 PM
On 2/9/2018 4:17 PM, Caver1 wrote:
> On 02/09/2018 02:51 PM, Caver1 wrote:

>>> I don't know.  As I said, I tried it in Safe Mode and it still
>>> didn't display properly.  Does FF 58 block javascript by default?
>>> How can I check that?
>>>

>> No, you have to change the default behavior in about:config. The
>> default is to allow.
>>

> Sorry to answer how to check; Type about:config in the address bar,
> Check that you will be careful, then in the search bar of the page
> that loads type > javascript.enabled
>> the value shown should be true, if not double click on it to change
>>
> it's value.

All javascript entries in about:config are default.  As I suspected, at
least using safe mode, javascript is enabled in my current profile using
58.0.2 (64-bit), where that medicare page is not displaying properly.
0
Peter
2/10/2018 3:40:11 PM
On 2/10/2018 9:56 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 2/8/2018 2:57 PM, Peter wrote:
>> Running FF 58.0.2 on Win 10 Home (fully up to date).  Even when
>> using FF in Safe Mode, it does not display the following URL
>> properly: https://www.medicare.gov/physiciancompare/
>>
>> Works fine with chrome and edge.
>>
>> Am I the only one?
>
> It appears you are, except for the user using 56.0.2 on a Mac.
>
> The page displays fine here using Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0;
> Win64; x64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/58.0 Version 58.0.2 Build
> ID 20180206200532 with extensions enabled and in safe mode.
>
> I get a door hanger asking me to Allow Location Access. Did you allow
> or select "Don't Allow". I always select "Don't Allow" and enable
> "Remember this decision".
>
> The only other option for you is to test in a new profile.
>
> Type about:profiles into the address bar, click the "Create a New
> Profile" button, click "Next", give the profile a name, click
> "Finish", then select the profile and click "Launch profile in new
> browser".
>
> Test the site and report back. You may need to do a "Refresh
> Firefox".

Walt,  Thanks for your patience and explicit instructions.  I followed
what you said, and as usual, your hunch was correct.  With a new, clean
profile, the site displays and functions properly.  I guess something in
my default profile must have become corrupted, or previously used (and
deleted) add-ons from earlier versions may have left crumbs of code
behind that created the problem.  In any case, thanks, and I believe,
problem solved and issue closed.  Thanks again!    Peter
0
Peter
2/10/2018 3:55:34 PM

On 02/10/2018 10:40 AM, Peter wrote:
> On 2/9/2018 4:17 PM, Caver1 wrote:

>>> No, you have to change the default behavior in about:config. The
>>> default is to allow.
>>>

>> Sorry to answer how to check; Type about:config in the address bar,
>> Check that you will be careful, then in the search bar of the page
>> that loads type > javascript.enabled
>>> the value shown should be true, if not double click on it to change
>>>
>> it's value.
>>

> All javascript entries in about:config are default.  As I suspected, at
> least using safe mode, javascript is enabled in my current profile using
> 58.0.2 (64-bit), where that medicare page is not displaying properly.

Then I would suggest again, as Walt also has, try a new profile to see
if it works.

--
Caver1
0
On 10/2/2018 23:00, WaltS48 wrote:

> Yes Peter did as stated in the post you replied to.
>
> "Even when using FF in Safe Mode, it does not display the following URL
> properly:"

Sorry... missed that part.

--
   @~@   Remain silent! Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper!!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty!
   ^ ^   (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10)  Linux 2.6.39.3
Mr
2/11/2018 6:27:00 AM
On 10/2/2018 23:55, Peter wrote:
> Walt,  Thanks for your patience and explicit instructions.  I followed
> what you said, and as usual, your hunch was correct.  With a new, clean
> profile, the site displays and functions properly.  I guess something in
> my default profile must have become corrupted, or previously used (and
> deleted) add-ons from earlier versions may have left crumbs of code
> behind that created the problem.  In any case, thanks, and I believe,
> problem solved and issue closed.  Thanks again!    Peter

Then it's not the profile, but some options in about:config. Maybe you
dump settings of both the new and old profiles to 2 text files and do a
comparison.

Safe mode should have skipped all these add-ons things EXCEPT
about:config? Not impossible... :)