56.0.1 and 64-Bit!

I checked my FF this morning as I always do (Help|About Firefox), and was
automagically updated to 56.0.1, 64-Bit!

I don't see or feel any differences yet, just a FYI...

Neil ��D

Neil
10/9/2017 4:24:20 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 23878 articles. 6 followers. Post Follow

On 10/9/2017 12:24 PM, Neil Turkenkopf wrote:
> I checked my FF this morning as I always do (Help|About Firefox), and
> was automagically updated to 56.0.1, 64-Bit!
>
> I don't see or feel any differences yet, just a FYI...
>

> Neil ¦¬D
I have been running 56.0 (64-bit) and a previous version for some time.
  I have found it works well and seems a little faster.

Some of that addons need to be updated, but with Vernon 57 that will
mean nothing as current addons will no longer work anyway.  So it may be
a good time to update to the  64-bit version
0
Keith
10/9/2017 4:42:11 PM
On 10/9/17 12:42 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
> On 10/9/2017 12:24 PM, Neil Turkenkopf wrote:
>> I checked my FF this morning as I always do (Help|About Firefox), and
>> was automagically updated to 56.0.1, 64-Bit!
>>
>> I don't see or feel any differences yet, just a FYI...
>>

>> Neil ¦¬D
> I have been running 56.0 (64-bit) and a previous version for some time.
>   I have found it works well and seems a little faster.
>
> Some of that addons need to be updated, but with Vernon 57 that will
> mean nothing as current addons will no longer work anyway.  So it may be
> a good time to update to the  64-bit version

My current extensions in 56.0 work in 57.0 Beta and 58.0 Nightly.

Time to start being proactive instead of reactive and replace what
legacy extensions that you can now.

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
10/9/2017 5:23:55 PM
On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 10:24:20 -0600, Neil Turkenkopf wrote:

> I checked my FF this morning as I always do (Help|About Firefox), and was
> automagically updated to 56.0.1, 64-Bit!
>
> I don't see or feel any differences yet, just a FYI...

Wasn't it announced that they would do this (install 64-bit instead
32-bit) starting from version 56.x ?

--
s|b
On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 19:40:43 +0200, "s|b" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 10:24:20 -0600, Neil Turkenkopf wrote:
>
>> I checked my FF this morning as I always do (Help|About Firefox), and =
was=20
>> automagically updated to 56.0.1, 64-Bit!
>>=20
>> I don't see or feel any differences yet, just a FYI...
>
>Wasn't it announced that they would do this (install 64-bit instead
>32-bit) starting from version 56.x ?

I upgraded to 56 yesterday, and it's still 32-bit, as it always was.
0
Ken
10/9/2017 6:12:05 PM
On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 11:12:05 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 19:40:43 +0200, "s|b" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 10:24:20 -0600, Neil Turkenkopf wrote:
>>
>>> I checked my FF this morning as I always do (Help|About Firefox), and was
>>> automagically updated to 56.0.1, 64-Bit!
>>>
>>> I don't see or feel any differences yet, just a FYI...
>>
>>Wasn't it announced that they would do this (install 64-bit instead
>>32-bit) starting from version 56.x ?
>

>I upgraded to 56 yesterday, and it's still 32-bit, as it always was.

I upgraded to 56 last week, but I did it as a manual de-install,
re-install.

I'm running 56.0 64 bit now.

I had to leave on add-on behind (a download manager) as it did not appear
to like the 64-bit FF.
0
Fred
10/9/2017 6:24:53 PM
Ken Blake wrote on 10/9/2017 12:12 PM:
> On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 19:40:43 +0200, "s|b" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 10:24:20 -0600, Neil Turkenkopf wrote:
>>
>>> I checked my FF this morning as I always do (Help|About Firefox), and was
>>> automagically updated to 56.0.1, 64-Bit!
>>>
>>> I don't see or feel any differences yet, just a FYI...
>>
>> Wasn't it announced that they would do this (install 64-bit instead
>> 32-bit) starting from version 56.x ?
>

> I upgraded to 56 yesterday, and it's still 32-bit, as it always was.

See subject of this thread. (It's 56.0.1, not 56 that's auto upgrade to
64 bit.)
--
Jeff Barnett
0
On 10/9/2017 1:12 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 19:40:43 +0200, "s|b" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 10:24:20 -0600, Neil Turkenkopf wrote:
>>
>>> I checked my FF this morning as I always do (Help|About Firefox), and was
>>> automagically updated to 56.0.1, 64-Bit!
>>>
>>> I don't see or feel any differences yet, just a FYI...
>>
>> Wasn't it announced that they would do this (install 64-bit instead
>> 32-bit) starting from version 56.x ?
>

> I upgraded to 56 yesterday, and it's still 32-bit, as it always was.

56.0.1 is supposed to roll people over to 64-bit.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/56.0.1/releasenotes/
0
TCW
10/9/2017 7:11:01 PM
On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 12:28:28 -0600, Jeff Barnett <jbbrus@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Ken Blake wrote on 10/9/2017 12:12 PM:
>> On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 19:40:43 +0200, "s|b" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>>=20

>>> Wasn't it announced that they would do this (install 64-bit instead
>>> 32-bit) starting from version 56.x ?
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> I upgraded to 56 yesterday, and it's still 32-bit, as it always was.
>>=20
>See subject of this thread. (It's 56.0.1, not 56 that's auto upgrade to=20
>64 bit.)

Thanks for the info. I hadn't realized that. I'm of course running
56.0, but note that the message I replied to said it was 56.x.
0
Ken
10/9/2017 7:14:35 PM
On 10/9/2017 3:14 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 12:28:28 -0600, Jeff Barnett <jbbrus@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Ken Blake wrote on 10/9/2017 12:12 PM:

>>> I upgraded to 56 yesterday, and it's still 32-bit, as it always was.
>>>
>> See subject of this thread. (It's 56.0.1, not 56 that's auto upgrade to
>> 64 bit.)
>

> Thanks for the info. I hadn't realized that. I'm of course running
> 56.0, but note that the message I replied to said it was 56.x.

Is 56.0.1 for Windows 64 bit?

I have a 64 bit cpu and Windows 10 but when I check if my version of
Firefox is current it returns it is up to date, but the version is 56.0
0
Keith
10/9/2017 8:33:31 PM
On 10/9/2017 9:24 AM, Neil Turkenkopf wrote:
> I checked my FF this morning as I always do (Help|About Firefox), and
> was automagically updated to 56.0.1, 64-Bit!
>
> I don't see or feel any differences yet, just a FYI...

What was fixed?
--
"It is certain that there may be extraordinary mental activity with an
extremely small absolute mass of nervous matter: thus the wonderfully
diversified instincts, mental powers, and affections of ants are
notorious, yet their cerebral ganglia are not so large as the quarter of
a small pin's head. Under this point of view, the brain of an ant is one
of the most marvelous atoms of matter in the world, perhaps more so than
the brain of a man." --Charles Darwin (from The Origin of Species, 1859)
this signature correctly.
  | |o   o| |
      ( )               Axe ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
0
Ant
10/9/2017 9:24:26 PM
In article <mailman.1067.1507570874.16832.support-
firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, me@privacy.invalid says...
> Wasn't it announced that they would do this (install 64-bit instead
> 32-bit) starting from version 56.x ?

Yes, if you are on 56.0, the 56.0.1 upgrade will install the 64-bit
version instead of the 32-bit version on a 64-bit Windows if there is
more than 2GB of RAM installed. This will be a one-time only switching
of users from 32-bit to 64-bit.

The reason why it's one-time only is because some systems may have
software that is 32-bit only and interacts with Firefox, so those users
could uninstall the 64-bit 56.0.1 point upgrade, then use a full
installer to install the 32-bit 56.0.1 point upgrade, and not worry
about Firefox upgrades doing an unwanted change to 64-bit in the future.

The stub installers have been installing new installs as 64-bit builds
for 64-bit Windows since August.
0
Mark12547
10/9/2017 10:59:25 PM
In article <mailman.1142.1507581243.16833.support-
firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net says...
> Is 56.0.1 for Windows 64 bit?

56.0.1 has more fixes; it's not just switching 32-bit Firefox installs
on Windows to 64-bit.

Mozilla normally does "staged rollouts", checking for problems
(telemetry, crash reports, support questions) before rolling out the
release to everyone.

So, if there are no new problems, I expect we all will see our 56.0
installs to automatically upgrade to 56.0.1 within a few days.
0
Mark12547
10/9/2017 11:04:46 PM
On 10/9/17 5:24 PM, Ant wrote:
> On 10/9/2017 9:24 AM, Neil Turkenkopf wrote:
>> I checked my FF this morning as I always do (Help|About Firefox), and
>> was automagically updated to 56.0.1, 64-Bit!
>>
>> I don't see or feel any differences yet, just a FYI...
>
> What was fixed?

Block D3D11 when using Intel drivers on Windows 7 systems with partial
AVX support (bug 1403353)