"save as" and "save link as" dialog flickers

On a new Mandriva 2007.1 system Firefox 2.0.0.3 and Seamonkey 1.1.1
both have a glitch in the "save as" (for an open page) and "save link
as" (Firefox)/  "save link target as" (Seamonkey) for right click on a
link dialogs.  When the dialog comes up it's like there are two copies
and it is flickering back and forth between them rapidly.  Or possibly
the dialog is resizing itself quickly.  The "two" dialogs are vertically
aligned but the right edge jumps back and forth.  Identical copies of
these two browsers did NOT do this on Mandriva 2006 or on any other OS
I've tried so far.  The glitch also occurs when the browser is viewed
over an ssh tunnel to a remote X11 server (however, all graphics cards
were by Nvidia, so I cannot rule out some subtle driver interaction.)

Firefox was downloaded from www.mozilla.com and installed in /usr/local.
  The firefox that came with Mandriva 2007.1 was removed.  However one
related package could not be removed because there were too many
dependencies:  libmozilla-firefox2.0.0.3-2.0.0.3-2mdv2007.1

Anybody else seen this?  Is there some workaround to make it stop?  It's
really annoying not being able to save anything from the browser!

Thanks,

David Mathog
0
David

"David Mathog" <mathog@caltech.edu> wrote in message news:o5idnTnYSaVMstPbnZ2dnUVZ_jadnZ2d@mozilla.org...
> On a new Mandriva 2007.1 system Firefox 2.0.0.3 and Seamonkey 1.1.1
> both have a glitch in the "save as" (for an open page) and "save link
> as" (Firefox)/  "save link target as" (Seamonkey) for right click on a
> link dialogs.  When the dialog comes up it's like there are two copies
> and it is flickering back and forth between them rapidly.  Or possibly
> the dialog is resizing itself quickly.  The "two" dialogs are vertically
> aligned but the right edge jumps back and forth.  Identical copies of
> these two browsers did NOT do this on Mandriva 2006 or on any other OS
> I've tried so far.  The glitch also occurs when the browser is viewed
> over an ssh tunnel to a remote X11 server (however, all graphics cards
> were by Nvidia, so I cannot rule out some subtle driver interaction.)
>
> Firefox was downloaded from www.mozilla.com and installed in /usr/local.
>   The firefox that came with Mandriva 2007.1 was removed.  However one
> related package could not be removed because there were too many
> dependencies:  libmozilla-firefox2.0.0.3-2.0.0.3-2mdv2007.1
>
> Anybody else seen this?  Is there some workaround to make it stop?  It's
> really annoying not being able to save anything from the browser!

Don't know if it is your problem or not but it is simple to delete
your localstore.rdf file and let Firefox recreated it.  You will have
to recustomize your toolbars afterward (right-click on toolbars,
then customize, OR  View, Toolbars, Customize).  It would be
a good idea to take a picture of your toolbars so you can put
them back as you want them.
  http://kb.mozillazine.org/Corrupt_localstore.rdf
which you can see has some similarities.
--
David McRitchie, most questions have been asked before.
 Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see

0
David
5/18/2007 11:18:35 PM
David McRitchie wrote:
> "David Mathog" <mathog@caltech.edu> wrote in message news:o5idnTnYSaVMstPbnZ2dnUVZ_jadnZ2d@mozilla.org...
>> On a new Mandriva 2007.1 system Firefox 2.0.0.3 and Seamonkey 1.1.1
>> both have a glitch in the "save as" (for an open page) and "save link
>> as" (Firefox)/  "save link target as" (Seamonkey) for right click on a
>> link dialogs.  When the dialog comes up it's like there are two copies
>> and it is flickering back and forth between them rapidly.  Or possibly
>> the dialog is resizing itself quickly.  The "two" dialogs are vertically
>> aligned but the right edge jumps back and forth.  Identical copies of
>> these two browsers did NOT do this on Mandriva 2006 or on any other OS
>> I've tried so far.  The glitch also occurs when the browser is viewed
>> over an ssh tunnel to a remote X11 server (however, all graphics cards
>> were by Nvidia, so I cannot rule out some subtle driver interaction.)
>>
>> Firefox was downloaded from www.mozilla.com and installed in /usr/local.
>>   The firefox that came with Mandriva 2007.1 was removed.  However one
>> related package could not be removed because there were too many
>> dependencies:  libmozilla-firefox2.0.0.3-2.0.0.3-2mdv2007.1
>>
>> Anybody else seen this?  Is there some workaround to make it stop?  It's
>> really annoying not being able to save anything from the browser!
>
> Don't know if it is your problem or not but it is simple to delete
> your localstore.rdf file and let Firefox recreated it.

Nope.  I deleted the entire .mozilla directory and let it recreate and
the problem remained.  There were problems with some other applications
that required this in .bashrc:

LC_ALL=en_US
XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
export LC_ALL XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS

and I unset those and the problem remained.  I also verified that the
Firefox 2.0.0.3 distributed with Mandriva 2007.1 does the same thing.

Also Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Mandriva 2007.0 does NOT do this (that system
is an older Athlon, the problem systems is an Athlon64 3700+).  However
Firefox 2.0.0.3 does not do this on the 3700+ system under Mandriva
2006.0.  Seems like some sort of problem with one of the libraries
Firefox/Seamonkey use under Mandriva 2007.1 rather than a problem
with the browser itself.

Thanks,

David Mathog
0
David
5/21/2007 4:33:10 PM
David Mathog wrote:
> On a new Mandriva 2007.1 system Firefox 2.0.0.3 and Seamonkey 1.1.1
> both have a glitch in the "save as" (for an open page) and "save link
> as" (Firefox)/  "save link target as" (Seamonkey) for right click on a
> link dialogs.  When the dialog comes up it's like there are two copies
> and it is flickering back and forth between them rapidly.  Or possibly
> the dialog is resizing itself quickly.  The "two" dialogs are vertically
> aligned but the right edge jumps back and forth.  Identical copies of
> these two browsers did NOT do this on Mandriva 2006 or on any other OS
> I've tried so far.

Other info...

1. Removing ~/.mozilla and starting again does not eliminate the problem.
2. The display does not need to be an Nvidia card to see the glitch, a
SIS based X11 server showed the glitch when Firefox was run on it over
an ssh tunnel from the Mandriva 2007.1 system.
3. firefox -safe-mode    does not eliminate the problem.
4.  firefox --sync    eliminates the problem for the FIRST "save link
as" but it returns for subsequent ones.
5.  firefox --sync -safe-mode  is like (4).
6.  firefox --sync -safe-mode --no-xshm is also like (4).

Thanks,

David Mathog

0
David
5/21/2007 6:36:32 PM
David Mathog wrote:
> On a new Mandriva 2007.1 system Firefox 2.0.0.3 and Seamonkey 1.1.1
> both have a glitch in the "save as" (for an open page) and "save link
> as" (Firefox)/  "save link target as" (Seamonkey) for right click on a
> link dialogs.  When the dialog comes up it's like there are two copies
> and it is flickering back and forth between them rapidly.  Or possibly
> the dialog is resizing itself quickly.

There is a work around: expand the "browse for other folders" and the
flicker / resizing stops.  Leave it expanded and the flicker will not
come back. However if you ever turn this option off then the _next_ time
a "save" dialog comes up it will once again flicker.

Regards,

David Mathog

0
David