"save as" and "save link as" dialog flickers

On a new Mandriva 2007.1 system Firefox 2.0.0.3 and Seamonkey 1.1.1
both have a glitch in the "save as" (for an open page) and "save link 
as" (Firefox)/  "save link target as" (Seamonkey) for right click on a 
link dialogs.  When the dialog comes up it's like there are two copies 
and it is flickering back and forth between them rapidly.  Or possibly 
the dialog is resizing itself quickly.  The "two" dialogs are vertically
aligned but the right edge jumps back and forth.  Identical copies of
these two browsers did NOT do this on Mandriva 2006 or on any other OS
I've tried so far.  The glitch also occurs when the browser is viewed
over an ssh tunnel to a remote X11 server (however, all graphics cards
were by Nvidia, so I cannot rule out some subtle driver interaction.)

Firefox was downloaded from www.mozilla.com and installed in /usr/local. 
  The firefox that came with Mandriva 2007.1 was removed.  However one 
related package could not be removed because there were too many 
dependencies:  libmozilla-firefox2.0.0.3-2.0.0.3-2mdv2007.1

Anybody else seen this?  Is there some workaround to make it stop?  It's
really annoying not being able to save anything from the browser!

Thanks,

David Mathog
0
David
5/18/2007 10:59:30 PM
mozilla.support.firefox 24319 articles. 10 followers. Post Follow

4 Replies
733 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 39

"David Mathog" <mathog@caltech.edu> wrote in message news:o5idnTnYSaVMstPbnZ2dnUVZ_jadnZ2d@mozilla.org...
> On a new Mandriva 2007.1 system Firefox 2.0.0.3 and Seamonkey 1.1.1
> both have a glitch in the "save as" (for an open page) and "save link
> as" (Firefox)/  "save link target as" (Seamonkey) for right click on a
> link dialogs.  When the dialog comes up it's like there are two copies
> and it is flickering back and forth between them rapidly.  Or possibly
> the dialog is resizing itself quickly.  The "two" dialogs are vertically
> aligned but the right edge jumps back and forth.  Identical copies of
> these two browsers did NOT do this on Mandriva 2006 or on any other OS
> I've tried so far.  The glitch also occurs when the browser is viewed
> over an ssh tunnel to a remote X11 server (however, all graphics cards
> were by Nvidia, so I cannot rule out some subtle driver interaction.)
>
> Firefox was downloaded from www.mozilla.com and installed in /usr/local.
>   The firefox that came with Mandriva 2007.1 was removed.  However one
> related package could not be removed because there were too many
> dependencies:  libmozilla-firefox2.0.0.3-2.0.0.3-2mdv2007.1
>
> Anybody else seen this?  Is there some workaround to make it stop?  It's
> really annoying not being able to save anything from the browser!

Don't know if it is your problem or not but it is simple to delete
your localstore.rdf file and let Firefox recreated it.  You will have
to recustomize your toolbars afterward (right-click on toolbars,
then customize, OR  View, Toolbars, Customize).  It would be
a good idea to take a picture of your toolbars so you can put
them back as you want them.
  http://kb.mozillazine.org/Corrupt_localstore.rdf
which you can see has some similarities.
-- 
David McRitchie, most questions have been asked before.
 Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see
 http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm




0
David
5/18/2007 11:18:35 PM
David McRitchie wrote:
> "David Mathog" <mathog@caltech.edu> wrote in message news:o5idnTnYSaVMstPbnZ2dnUVZ_jadnZ2d@mozilla.org...
>> On a new Mandriva 2007.1 system Firefox 2.0.0.3 and Seamonkey 1.1.1
>> both have a glitch in the "save as" (for an open page) and "save link
>> as" (Firefox)/  "save link target as" (Seamonkey) for right click on a
>> link dialogs.  When the dialog comes up it's like there are two copies
>> and it is flickering back and forth between them rapidly.  Or possibly
>> the dialog is resizing itself quickly.  The "two" dialogs are vertically
>> aligned but the right edge jumps back and forth.  Identical copies of
>> these two browsers did NOT do this on Mandriva 2006 or on any other OS
>> I've tried so far.  The glitch also occurs when the browser is viewed
>> over an ssh tunnel to a remote X11 server (however, all graphics cards
>> were by Nvidia, so I cannot rule out some subtle driver interaction.)
>>
>> Firefox was downloaded from www.mozilla.com and installed in /usr/local.
>>   The firefox that came with Mandriva 2007.1 was removed.  However one
>> related package could not be removed because there were too many
>> dependencies:  libmozilla-firefox2.0.0.3-2.0.0.3-2mdv2007.1
>>
>> Anybody else seen this?  Is there some workaround to make it stop?  It's
>> really annoying not being able to save anything from the browser!
> 
> Don't know if it is your problem or not but it is simple to delete
> your localstore.rdf file and let Firefox recreated it. 

Nope.  I deleted the entire .mozilla directory and let it recreate and 
the problem remained.  There were problems with some other applications
that required this in .bashrc:

LC_ALL=en_US
XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
export LC_ALL XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS

and I unset those and the problem remained.  I also verified that the
Firefox 2.0.0.3 distributed with Mandriva 2007.1 does the same thing.

Also Firefox 2.0.0.3 on Mandriva 2007.0 does NOT do this (that system
is an older Athlon, the problem systems is an Athlon64 3700+).  However
Firefox 2.0.0.3 does not do this on the 3700+ system under Mandriva 
2006.0.  Seems like some sort of problem with one of the libraries 
Firefox/Seamonkey use under Mandriva 2007.1 rather than a problem
with the browser itself.

Thanks,

David Mathog
0
David
5/21/2007 4:33:10 PM
David Mathog wrote:
> On a new Mandriva 2007.1 system Firefox 2.0.0.3 and Seamonkey 1.1.1
> both have a glitch in the "save as" (for an open page) and "save link 
> as" (Firefox)/  "save link target as" (Seamonkey) for right click on a 
> link dialogs.  When the dialog comes up it's like there are two copies 
> and it is flickering back and forth between them rapidly.  Or possibly 
> the dialog is resizing itself quickly.  The "two" dialogs are vertically
> aligned but the right edge jumps back and forth.  Identical copies of
> these two browsers did NOT do this on Mandriva 2006 or on any other OS
> I've tried so far.  

Other info...

1. Removing ~/.mozilla and starting again does not eliminate the problem.
2. The display does not need to be an Nvidia card to see the glitch, a 
SIS based X11 server showed the glitch when Firefox was run on it over 
an ssh tunnel from the Mandriva 2007.1 system.
3. firefox -safe-mode    does not eliminate the problem.
4.  firefox --sync    eliminates the problem for the FIRST "save link 
as" but it returns for subsequent ones.
5.  firefox --sync -safe-mode  is like (4).
6.  firefox --sync -safe-mode --no-xshm is also like (4).

Thanks,

David Mathog

0
David
5/21/2007 6:36:32 PM
David Mathog wrote:
> On a new Mandriva 2007.1 system Firefox 2.0.0.3 and Seamonkey 1.1.1
> both have a glitch in the "save as" (for an open page) and "save link 
> as" (Firefox)/  "save link target as" (Seamonkey) for right click on a 
> link dialogs.  When the dialog comes up it's like there are two copies 
> and it is flickering back and forth between them rapidly.  Or possibly 
> the dialog is resizing itself quickly. 

There is a work around: expand the "browse for other folders" and the 
flicker / resizing stops.  Leave it expanded and the flicker will not 
come back. However if you ever turn this option off then the _next_ time 
a "save" dialog comes up it will once again flicker.

Regards,

David Mathog

0
David
5/21/2007 9:38:12 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Not working in Firefox 3.1b2: "Save Image As", "Save Link As", and "Save Page As"
Name: Thaddeus Polit Email: ThaddeusdotPolitatlmcodotcom Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Not working in Firefox 3.1b2: "Save Image As", "Save Link As", and "Save Page As" Comments: Firefox 3.1b2 - When I click "Save Image As", "Save link As", or "Save Page As", nothing happens. The "Save As" dialog does not appear. Due to this problem, I have been forced to start using I.E. Yuck! Please help! Sincerely, Thaddeus Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b2) G...

Linking Ability with "Save As" or "Save As PDF"
Name: STUART HASSEL Email: StuartHasselatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Linking Ability with "Save As" or "Save As PDF" Comments: The reason I mostly use Safari is that it has the ability of linking anything that I save to my desktop. If I'm, say, doing a search using something like Google, I can click on various links at the moment but if I want to be able to do that later I can't so I copy my search word(s) or phrase onto Google using Safari and then just make the search page into a "document" and park it on my desktop. I can a...

"save session", "don´t save"... "abort"!
Name: lumpi Product: Firefox Summary: "save session", "don´t save"... "abort"! Comments: There should be a third "abort/cancel" button in the "save session" dialog for tabbed browsing. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a2) Gecko/20070206 GranParadiso/3.0a2 ...

while saving the file "Save as Type" in SaveDialogBox shows "MicrosoftExcelSheet" and "AllFiles", how can i restrict "AllFiles" and show only "MicrosoftExcelSheet" ..
Below is code written for opening XLFile.  HttpContext.Current.Response.Clear();HttpContext.Current.Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "attachment; filename=" + astr_FileName); HttpContext.Current.Response.AddHeader("Content-Length", abyte_Data.Length.ToString()); HttpContext.Current.Response.ContentType = astr_ContentType; //octet-stream"; or //"application/vnd.ms-excel"; HttpContext.Current.Response.BinaryWrite(abyte_Data);    Udaya.M...

superreview requested: [Bug 416063] "Save this password?" dialog has "Never Save" focused instead of "Don't Save" with FKA on (again!) : [Attachment 304041] fix
Stuart Morgan <stuart.morgan@alumni.case.edu> has asked Mike Pinkerton (not reading bugmail) <mikepinkerton@mac.com> for superreview: Bug 416063: "Save this password?" dialog has "Never Save" focused instead of "Don't Save" with FKA on (again!) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=416063 Attachment 304041: fix https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=304041&action=edit ...

superreview granted: [Bug 416063] "Save this password?" dialog has "Never Save" focused instead of "Don't Save" with FKA on (again!) : [Attachment 304041] fix
Mike Pinkerton (not reading bugmail) <mikepinkerton@mac.com> has granted Stuart Morgan <stuart.morgan@alumni.case.edu>'s request for superreview: Bug 416063: "Save this password?" dialog has "Never Save" focused instead of "Don't Save" with FKA on (again!) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=416063 Attachment 304041: fix https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=304041&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Mike Pinkerton (not reading bugmail) <mikepinkerton@mac.com> sr=pink ...

Save or open file download dialog should include "Save in default location" and "Save somewhere else" options
Name: Eric Carter Email: mozillafeedback Product: Firefox Summary: Save or open file download dialog should include "Save in default location" and "Save somewhere else" options Comments: When i click a download link I'm presented with the choice to open that file with a program on my computer, or save it to a location. After that, depending on my configuration I either get a second dialog asking where i want to save that file, or it goes to the default download location. Most of the time i want to save to my default downloads location, but sometime...

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")
Do you know anyway for me to exclude a subset of columns returned by this function. We have two columns (rec_user and rec_datetime) which are in all of our tables, but when generating triggers I want automatically generate a script which does not include those two columns but does include all other columns in that table. Bruce I should add that I am using PD 9.0.0.580. Bruce "Bruce Lamb" <lamb.bruce@mayo.edu> wrote in message news:6HgI315nCHA.155@forums.sybase.com... > Do you know anyway for me to exclude a subset of columns returned by this > function. ...

Precedence of "where" ("of", "is", "will")?
Nobody on #perl6 today could answer this one. Is: Str | Int where { $_ } the same as: (Str | Int) where { $_ } or: Str | (Int where { $_ }) ? Followup questions, Mr. President: What kind of operators are "where", "of", "is", and "will"? Is there a reason that S03 doesn't list them? What are their precedence(s)? -- Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <chip@pobox.com> Open Source is not an excuse to write fun code then leave the actual work to others. Chip Salzenberg writes: &...

Save or open file download dialog should include "Save in default location" and "Save somewhere else" options #2
Name: Eric Carter Email: mozillafeedback Product: Firefox Summary: Save or open file download dialog should include "Save in default location" and "Save somewhere else" options Comments: When i click a download link I'm presented with the choice to open that file with a program on my computer, or save it to a location. After that, depending on my configuration I either get a second dialog asking where i want to save that file, or it goes to the default download location. Most of the time i want to save to my default downloads location, but sometime...

Catching "Save..." and "Save As..." from other applications (Office suite)
Hello, I would like to create an app with delphi (RadXE) that: - catch the "save..." and "save as..." from other applications, in particular MS-Office suites (but also other apps) - get some data from a dialog form before saving etc... - then going quiescent waiting for the next "save" or "save as..." event... I thought a way could be launching the external app by my delphi application getting handles to it, but I don't know how to catch events. Anybody can help me? (I am sure of yes! :) thanks in advance, Filippo __________________ ...

Why does opening of "Save" or "Save As" window take so long?
Name: Mike Cleven Email: mikecleven_at_gmail.com Product: Firefox Summary: Why does opening of "Save" or "Save As" window take so long? Comments: Unlike other programs, which bring up the whole contents of a directory quickly, Firefox (and Mozilla in its raw state) takes its time adding one directory item after another; such that you can wait quite a while to actually hit the "save" button, especially if you have to scroll to the right for any reason (e.g. looking for a subdirectory etc). Wondering why this is....I had a look at your bugs and p...

"Append to" instead of "Save to"
Hi, When saving a message to a file, the file will be overwritten if it already exists. Does any one know a way to append to the file instead of overwriting it? Thanks. J. J. Cagnol wrote: > Hi, > > When saving a message to a file, the file will be overwritten if it > already exists. Does any one know a way to append to the file instead > of overwriting it? > > Thanks. > J. No, but you could just set up a temporary folder within Mozilla if you wanted to save multiple messages to a file. The mbox format which Mozilla uses simply has multiple m...

quotes, quotes, quotes...
I am getting this error and I know what is causing it, but I have no idea how to fix it, any help would be great. The script steps through the /var/log/messages file on a linux server and puts The entries into a mysql database. However when it gets to the 'hlt' line in the messages file it just barfs. The single quotes are freaking it out. I know about quotes but not how to use in this situation. Thanks, Paul Error: May 27 17:53:00 localhost kernel: Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK. <----- doesn't like this in the messages file DBD::mysql::st exec...

Web resources about - "save as" and "save link as" dialog flickers - mozilla.support.firefox

Resources last updated: 12/3/2015 7:35:39 AM