'Close X Tabs?' Inconsistency

When I close Firefox by clicking on the X in the top right-hand corner, 
I _sometimes_ get a message asking if I wish to close X tabs. I only 
seem to have the options to do so, or not close at all!

What determines the number of tabs which can be closed, and when the 
message appears?

Windows 10
Firefox 60.0.2 64-bit


-- 
Peter Lawson
021-797-4493

0
Peter
6/11/2018 6:57:16 AM
mozilla.support.firefox 24272 articles. 7 followers. Post Follow

7 Replies
17 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 56

In message 
<mailman.901.1528700276.2161.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org>, Peter 
Lawson <lawsonp@telkomsa.net> writes:
>When I close Firefox by clicking on the X in the top right-hand corner, 
>I _sometimes_ get a message asking if I wish to close X tabs. I only 
>seem to have the options to do so, or not close at all!
>
>What determines the number of tabs which can be closed, and when the 
>message appears?
>
>Windows 10
>Firefox 60.0.2 64-bit
>
>
AFAIK, the number is always the total number of tabs you have open; I've 
always taken the message as meaning "did you really intend to close 
Firefox rather than just one tab?", I think I _always_ get it when 
clicking the top-right X (at least when I have several tabs open, but I 
do have Firefox [with Tab Mix Plus, if that makes any difference] set to 
re-open with the tabs I had when I closed it, so that's always).
-- 
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Stop calling unmarried people "single" as if they are incomplete. I prefer
spouse-free. It is not a coincidence we are the new majority.
- Scott Adams, 2015
0
J
6/11/2018 12:31:14 PM
On 6/11/18 8:57 AM, Peter Lawson wrote:
> When I close Firefox by clicking on the X in the top right-hand corner, 
> I _sometimes_ get a message asking if I wish to close X tabs. I only 
> seem to have the options to do so, or not close at all!
> 
> What determines the number of tabs which can be closed, and when the 
> message appears?
> 
> Windows 10
> Firefox 60.0.2 64-bit
> 
> 

The number is all tabs you have open, you can disable the message:
Uncheck "Warn you when closing multiple tabs" in Options > General.
0
dillinger
6/11/2018 5:37:06 PM
On 11-Jun-2018 13:37, dillinger wrote:
> On 6/11/18 8:57 AM, Peter Lawson wrote:
>> When I close Firefox by clicking on the X in the top right-hand
>> corner, I _sometimes_ get a message asking if I wish to close X tabs.
>> I only seem to have the options to do so, or not close at all!
>>
>> What determines the number of tabs which can be closed, and when the
>> message appears?
>>
>> Windows 10
>> Firefox 60.0.2 64-bit
>>
>>
>
> The number is all tabs you have open, you can disable the message:
> Uncheck "Warn you when closing multiple tabs" in Options > General.


Looks like this option has been removed from FF, maybe have to modify 
about:config to disable�.
Doesn't exist in Firefox 60.0.2 64bit in Windows 8.1
0
EnDeeGee
6/11/2018 6:42:39 PM
On 6/11/18 2:42 PM, EnDeeGee wrote:
> On 11-Jun-2018 13:37, dillinger wrote:
>> On 6/11/18 8:57 AM, Peter Lawson wrote:
>>> When I close Firefox by clicking on the X in the top right-hand
>>> corner, I _sometimes_ get a message asking if I wish to close X tabs.
>>> I only seem to have the options to do so, or not close at all!
>>>
>>> What determines the number of tabs which can be closed, and when the
>>> message appears?
>>>
>>> Windows 10
>>> Firefox 60.0.2 64-bit
>>>
>>>
>>
>> The number is all tabs you have open, you can disable the message:
>> Uncheck "Warn you when closing multiple tabs" in Options > General.
> 
> 
> Looks like this option has been removed from FF, maybe have to modify 
> about:config to disable�.
> Doesn't exist in Firefox 60.0.2 64bit in Windows 8.1

Right.
The popup warning panel itself now has a check box to disable the warning.
0
Retired
6/11/2018 6:51:54 PM
On 11-Jun-2018 14:51, "\"Retired"@home.com wrote:
> On 6/11/18 2:42 PM, EnDeeGee wrote:
>> On 11-Jun-2018 13:37, dillinger wrote:
>>> On 6/11/18 8:57 AM, Peter Lawson wrote:
>>>> When I close Firefox by clicking on the X in the top right-hand
>>>> corner, I _sometimes_ get a message asking if I wish to close X tabs.
>>>> I only seem to have the options to do so, or not close at all!
>>>>
>>>> What determines the number of tabs which can be closed, and when the
>>>> message appears?
>>>>
>>>> Windows 10
>>>> Firefox 60.0.2 64-bit
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> The number is all tabs you have open, you can disable the message:
>>> Uncheck "Warn you when closing multiple tabs" in Options > General.
>>
>>
>> Looks like this option has been removed from FF, maybe have to modify
>> about:config to disable�.
>> Doesn't exist in Firefox 60.0.2 64bit in Windows 8.1
>
> Right.
> The popup warning panel itself now has a check box to disable the warning.

To re-activate set  "browser.tabs.warnOnClose" in about:config to "true"
0
EnDeeGee
6/11/2018 7:29:30 PM
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------4566529DEFD060762933EFF1
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

On 11/06/2018 07:57, Peter Lawson wrote:
>
> What determines the number of tabs which can be closed, and when the 
> message appears?
>
>

It is the settings in your browser.  To close a tab, you need to click 
on the X icon for that tab.  If you click on the top right X icon then 
it will close Firefox.

However, if you are always clicking that X icon on the top right corner 
then you can change the settings of your browser so that when it starts 
it always reopens all your closed tabs.  It works on my machine so it 
should work on yours as well.

See this picture where this settings is located:

http://img4.imagetitan.com/img4/7xwYrCTVnJ2RoB0/18/18_2018-06-11_21-37-58.png 
<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img4/7xwYrCTVnJ2RoB0/18/18_2018-06-11_21-37-58.png>

In the picture the letters are dimmed because my settings is for Private 
browsing  but on your machine it should be active.


https://i.imgur.com/M0hW83A.png <https://i.imgur.com/M0hW83A.png>

-- 
With over 600 million devices now running Windows 10, customer 
satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

--------------4566529DEFD060762933EFF1
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  </head>
  <body text="#000000" bgcolor="#FCFBE3">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 11/06/2018 07:57, Peter Lawson
      wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:mailman.901.1528700276.2161.support-firefox@lists.mozilla.org"><br>
      What determines the number of tabs which can be closed, and when
      the message appears?
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    It is the settings in your browser.  To close a tab, you need to
    click on the X icon for that tab.  If you click on the top right X
    icon then it will close Firefox.<br>
    <br>
    However, if you are always clicking that X icon on the top right
    corner then you can change the settings of your browser so that when
    it starts it always reopens all your closed tabs.  It works on my
    machine so it should work on yours as well.<br>
    <br>
    See this picture where this settings is located:<br>
    <br>
    <a
href="http://img4.imagetitan.com/img4/7xwYrCTVnJ2RoB0/18/18_2018-06-11_21-37-58.png"><img
        moz-do-not-send="true"
src="http://img4.imagetitan.com/img4/7xwYrCTVnJ2RoB0/18/18_2018-06-11_21-37-58.png"
alt="http://img4.imagetitan.com/img4/7xwYrCTVnJ2RoB0/18/18_2018-06-11_21-37-58.png"
        height="350" width="1061" border="10"></a><br>
    <br>
    In the picture the letters are dimmed because my settings is for
    Private browsing  but on your machine it should be active.<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <a href="https://i.imgur.com/M0hW83A.png"><img
        moz-do-not-send="true" src="https://i.imgur.com/M0hW83A.png"
        alt="https://i.imgur.com/M0hW83A.png" height="350" width="1061"
        border="10"></a><br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-signature">-- <br>
      <div style="width: 330px; background-color: blue; color:
        yellow;font-weight: bolder; font-size:150%; text-align: center;
        margin: 30px 5px 30px 5px;">With over 600 million devices now
        running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any
        previous version of windows.</div>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

--------------4566529DEFD060762933EFF1--
0
UTF
6/11/2018 8:48:04 PM
On 6/11/18 4:48 PM, 😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:
> On 11/06/2018 07:57, Peter Lawson wrote:
>>
>> What determines the number of tabs which can be closed, and when the 
>> message appears?
>>
>>
> 
> It is the settings in your browser.  To close a tab, you need to click 
> on the X icon for that tab.  If you click on the top right X icon then 
> it will close Firefox.
> 
> However, if you are always clicking that X icon on the top right corner 
> then you can change the settings of your browser so that when it starts 
> it always reopens all your closed tabs.  It works on my machine so it 
> should work on yours as well.
> 
> See this picture where this settings is located:
> 
> http://img4.imagetitan.com/img4/7xwYrCTVnJ2RoB0/18/18_2018-06-11_21-37-58.png 
> <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img4/7xwYrCTVnJ2RoB0/18/18_2018-06-11_21-37-58.png>
> 
> In the picture the letters are dimmed because my settings is for Private 
> browsing  but on your machine it should be active.
> 
> 
> https://i.imgur.com/M0hW83A.png <https://i.imgur.com/M0hW83A.png>
> 

Anybody going to address the issue of why Peter sometimes gets the 
warning when closing multiple tabs, and doesn't get it when closing 
multiple tabs other times?

I always get the warning, and have no idea what determines the number of 
tabs which can be closed. I get it with only 2 tabs open.

-- 
CPU: 3.2 Ghz AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 Processor
RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
6/11/2018 11:39:35 PM
Reply: