What are the benefits of Lightning, compared with Google Calendar?

I'm considering switching from Lightning to Google Calendar, because:

a) Google Calendar offers instant synchronisation between devices, 
without the need for a third-party application such as BirdieSync, and

b) I can't help feeling that Lightning may be quite a "burden" on 
Thunderbird (in terms or RAM usage/responsiveness).

Are there any convincing arguments in favour or Lightning?

Thank you.

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk
0
Herb
2/8/2017 12:29:28 PM
mozilla.support.calendar 2499 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

8 Replies
75 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 39

On 08/02/2017 12:29, Herb@UK wrote:
> I'm considering switching from Lightning to Google Calendar, because:
>
> a) Google Calendar offers instant synchronisation between devices,
> without the need for a third-party application such as BirdieSync, and
>
> b) I can't help feeling that Lightning may be quite a "burden" on
> Thunderbird (in terms or RAM usage/responsiveness).
>
> Are there any convincing arguments in favour or Lightning?
>
> Thank you.
>
I'm not sure that I follow you. Are you using a local calender in 
Lightning and syncing that to your other devices with the third party app?

For what it is worth, I use Google Calendar to provide the linked 
calender between all my devices and use Lightning to access my Google 
Calender on this PC.

I'm not conscious of any significant overhead from running Lightning.

-- 

Michael
0
Brighton
2/8/2017 5:23:20 PM
On 02/08/2017 05:29 AM, Herb@UK wrote:
> I'm considering switching from Lightning to Google Calendar, because:
> 
> Are there any convincing arguments in favour or Lightning?
>
  I do not think a comparison is particularly valid.
  Lightning is a personal, single user type of calendar. It can access
other calendars, of course. And it is basically just a calendar.
  Google calendar, OTOH, scales nicely for multi-user collaboration.

  IOW it depends on your use case.

-- 
James Moe
jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com
Think.
0
James
2/8/2017 6:49:27 PM
On 08.02.2017 17:23, Brighton Rock wrote:
> On 08/02/2017 12:29, Herb@UK wrote:
>> I'm considering switching from Lightning to Google Calendar, because:
>>
>> a) Google Calendar offers instant synchronisation between devices,
>> without the need for a third-party application such as BirdieSync, and
>>
>> b) I can't help feeling that Lightning may be quite a "burden" on
>> Thunderbird (in terms or RAM usage/responsiveness).
>>
>> Are there any convincing arguments in favour or Lightning?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
> I'm not sure that I follow you. Are you using a local calender in
> Lightning and syncing that to your other devices with the third party app?
>
> For what it is worth, I use Google Calendar to provide the linked
> calender between all my devices and use Lightning to access my Google
> Calender on this PC.
>
> I'm not conscious of any significant overhead from running Lightning.
>

Thanks for you feedback.

I didn't realise one can use Lightning to access the Google Calendar. 
What do you see as the advantage(s) of doing this, compared with 
accessing the Google Calendar directly via a browser?

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk
0
Herb
2/9/2017 1:48:47 AM
On 08.02.2017 18:49, James Moe wrote:
> On 02/08/2017 05:29 AM, Herb@UK wrote:
>> I'm considering switching from Lightning to Google Calendar, because:
>>
>> Are there any convincing arguments in favour or Lightning?
>>
>   I do not think a comparison is particularly valid.
>   Lightning is a personal, single user type of calendar. It can access
> other calendars, of course. And it is basically just a calendar.
>   Google calendar, OTOH, scales nicely for multi-user collaboration.
>
>   IOW it depends on your use case.
>

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't understand why you regard the comparison I'm making as not 
particularly valid. As per subject line, what do you see as the benefits 
of Lightning, compared with Google Calendar?

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk
0
Herb
2/9/2017 1:54:55 AM
On 09/02/2017 01:48, Herb@UK wrote:
> On 08.02.2017 17:23, Brighton Rock wrote:
>> On 08/02/2017 12:29, Herb@UK wrote:
>>> I'm considering switching from Lightning to Google Calendar, because:
>>>
>>> a) Google Calendar offers instant synchronisation between devices,
>>> without the need for a third-party application such as BirdieSync, and
>>>
>>> b) I can't help feeling that Lightning may be quite a "burden" on
>>> Thunderbird (in terms or RAM usage/responsiveness).
>>>
>>> Are there any convincing arguments in favour or Lightning?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>> I'm not sure that I follow you. Are you using a local calender in
>> Lightning and syncing that to your other devices with the third party
>> app?
>>
>> For what it is worth, I use Google Calendar to provide the linked
>> calender between all my devices and use Lightning to access my Google
>> Calender on this PC.
>>
>> I'm not conscious of any significant overhead from running Lightning.
>>
>
> Thanks for you feedback.
>
> I didn't realise one can use Lightning to access the Google Calendar.
> What do you see as the advantage(s) of doing this, compared with
> accessing the Google Calendar directly via a browser?
>
Benefit of using Thunderbird + Lightning rather than browser? 
Familiarity and convenience; the calender is available very quickly when 
I need it in a format that I am used to. I have never used the web 
interface although, I imagine, logging in etc. there can be semi-automated.

I think that the key issue here is that I have found that using Google 
Calender is a very effective way of maintaining the same calender on 
several devices. I think that is where you too are starting. My feeling 
is that, starting there, if you are used to using Lightning (as I was, 
and you are), stay with it.

-- 

Michael
0
Brighton
2/9/2017 9:02:15 AM
On 2/8/17 1:29 PM, Herb@UK wrote:
> I'm considering switching from Lightning to Google Calendar, because:
> 
> a) Google Calendar offers instant synchronisation between devices,
> without the need for a third-party application such as BirdieSync, and
> 
> b) I can't help feeling that Lightning may be quite a "burden" on
> Thunderbird (in terms or RAM usage/responsiveness).
> 
> Are there any convincing arguments in favour or Lightning?
> 
> Thank you.
> 

Hi Herb,

I think this is partially a matter of preference. While there are many
users that prefer a simple web-based interface like Google Calendar,
others may prefer something that is always available on their computer.
Tasks and Events are available offline, and especially if you interface
with multiple calendaring systems aside from Google Calendar, you might
want to have everything in one place.

If you are happy with the web interface and don't see any additional
value after using Thunderbird+Lightning for a while, I think it is fair
to keep using the web interface afterwards.

Philipp
0
Philipp
2/9/2017 11:26:18 AM
On 09.02.2017 11:26, Philipp Kewisch wrote:
> On 2/8/17 1:29 PM, Herb@UK wrote:
>> I'm considering switching from Lightning to Google Calendar, because:
>>
>> a) Google Calendar offers instant synchronisation between devices,
>> without the need for a third-party application such as BirdieSync, and
>>
>> b) I can't help feeling that Lightning may be quite a "burden" on
>> Thunderbird (in terms or RAM usage/responsiveness).
>>
>> Are there any convincing arguments in favour or Lightning?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>
> Hi Herb,
>
> I think this is partially a matter of preference. While there are many
> users that prefer a simple web-based interface like Google Calendar,
> others may prefer something that is always available on their computer.
> Tasks and Events are available offline, and especially if you interface
> with multiple calendaring systems aside from Google Calendar, you might
> want to have everything in one place.
>
> If you are happy with the web interface and don't see any additional
> value after using Thunderbird+Lightning for a while, I think it is fair
> to keep using the web interface afterwards.
>
> Philipp
>

Good summary, thanks.

I'll use the two in parallel for a while before I make a decision.

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk
0
Herb
2/9/2017 3:51:06 PM
On 09.02.2017 09:02, Brighton Rock wrote:
> On 09/02/2017 01:48, Herb@UK wrote:
>> On 08.02.2017 17:23, Brighton Rock wrote:
>>> On 08/02/2017 12:29, Herb@UK wrote:
>>>> I'm considering switching from Lightning to Google Calendar, because:
>>>>
>>>> a) Google Calendar offers instant synchronisation between devices,
>>>> without the need for a third-party application such as BirdieSync, and
>>>>
>>>> b) I can't help feeling that Lightning may be quite a "burden" on
>>>> Thunderbird (in terms or RAM usage/responsiveness).
>>>>
>>>> Are there any convincing arguments in favour or Lightning?
>>>>
>>>> Thank you.
>>>>
>>> I'm not sure that I follow you. Are you using a local calender in
>>> Lightning and syncing that to your other devices with the third party
>>> app?
>>>
>>> For what it is worth, I use Google Calendar to provide the linked
>>> calender between all my devices and use Lightning to access my Google
>>> Calender on this PC.
>>>
>>> I'm not conscious of any significant overhead from running Lightning.
>>>
>>
>> Thanks for you feedback.
>>
>> I didn't realise one can use Lightning to access the Google Calendar.
>> What do you see as the advantage(s) of doing this, compared with
>> accessing the Google Calendar directly via a browser?
>>
> Benefit of using Thunderbird + Lightning rather than browser?
> Familiarity and convenience; the calender is available very quickly when
> I need it in a format that I am used to. I have never used the web
> interface although, I imagine, logging in etc. there can be semi-automated.
>
> I think that the key issue here is that I have found that using Google
> Calender is a very effective way of maintaining the same calender on
> several devices. I think that is where you too are starting. My feeling
> is that, starting there, if you are used to using Lightning (as I was,
> and you are), stay with it.
>

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, sure, I'm familiar with Lightning, but Google Calendar doesn't seem 
too different, so probably not particularly difficult to get used to.

I'll use the two in parallel for a while before I make a decision.

-- 
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk

0
Herb
2/9/2017 3:53:08 PM
Reply: