Replacement for Lightning when TB 60+ arrives

I read that TB60 will be the last version where Lightning as it stands today will work.
I have been relying on Lightning for the past 6+ years so this is very disappointing
news, even if it is not a surprise (it was announced sometime last year).

So what are Lightning users supposed to switch to? Assuming Lightning will not be
converted to a restartless add-on.

Pierre
0
Pierre
7/25/2018 7:09:19 PM
mozilla.support.calendar 2589 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 07/25/2018 09:09 PM, Pierre D wrote:
> I read that TB60 will be the last version where Lightning as it stands
> today will work.
> I have been relying on Lightning for the past 6+ years so this is very
> disappointing news, even if it is not a surprise (it was announced
> sometime last year).
>
> So what are Lightning users supposed to switch to? Assuming Lightning
> will not be converted to a restartless add-on.

What exactly have you been reading? Please post a link.

0
Christian
7/25/2018 8:05:06 PM
Pierre D wrote:
> I read that TB60 will be the last version where Lightning as it stands
> today will work.
> I have been relying on Lightning for the past 6+ years so this is very
> disappointing news, even if it is not a surprise (it was announced
> sometime last year).
>
> So what are Lightning users supposed to switch to? Assuming Lightning
> will not be converted to a restartless add-on.
>
> Pierre
see
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Calendar/Calendar_Versions
0
Millwood
7/25/2018 9:43:14 PM
On 7/25/18 3:09 PM, Pierre D wrote:
> I read that TB60 will be the last version where Lightning as it stands
> today will work.
> I have been relying on Lightning for the past 6+ years so this is very
> disappointing news, even if it is not a surprise (it was announced
> sometime last year).
>
> So what are Lightning users supposed to switch to? Assuming Lightning
> will not be converted to a restartless add-on.
>
> Pierre

Lightning 6.2 works just fine for my usage in Thunderbird 60.0 release
candidate (build 3).

When your 52.9.1 updates, that version of Lightning will ride along with
the update.

I think it is Provider for Google Calendar that hasn't had a release
build built, but version 4.1b6 is working just fine for my usage.

RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
7/25/2018 11:08:13 PM
On 07/25/18 16:05, Christian Riechers wrote:
> On 07/25/2018 09:09 PM, Pierre D wrote:
>
> What exactly have you been reading? Please post a link.

I cannot recall where I saw it and cannot find it by googling). I remember reading
that because Lightning is not a restartless add-on, it will stop working when TB 62
rolls out. I assume this is similar to the migration for Firefox when many add-ons
stopped working in the new platform (FF 57 or 58, can't recall).

Pierre
0
Pierre
7/27/2018 4:40:19 AM
On 7/27/2018 12:40 AM, Pierre D wrote:
> On 07/25/18 16:05, Christian Riechers wrote:
>> On 07/25/2018 09:09 PM, Pierre D wrote:
>>
>> What exactly have you been reading? Please post a link.
>>
> I cannot recall where I saw it and cannot find it by googling). I
> remember reading that because Lightning is not a restartless add-on, it
> will stop working when TB 62 rolls out. I assume this is similar to the
> migration for Firefox when many add-ons stopped working in the new
> platform (FF 57 or 58, can't recall).
>
> Pierre
I suspect that that is correct, that the old Lightning will have to be
drastically modified to run on Version 62.

But Lightning has become, for most people, an integral part of
Thunderbird, that, for most people, it would be a death sentence if it
was not part of post 62 Thunderbird.

With Lightning Thunderbird can complete with something like the current
version of MS Outlook.   With out it, it can not.

Personally if I loose Lightning I will be looking for a replacement for
my email program as email generates most of my calendar entries. I don't
want a krudged system that may not work.
0
Keith
7/27/2018 11:18:00 AM
On 7/27/18 6:40 AM, Pierre D wrote:
> On 07/25/18 16:05, Christian Riechers wrote:
>> On 07/25/2018 09:09 PM, Pierre D wrote:
>>
>> What exactly have you been reading? Please post a link.
>>
> I cannot recall where I saw it and cannot find it by googling). I
> remember reading that because Lightning is not a restartless add-on, it
> will stop working when TB 62 rolls out.

This is not true. Lightning has been integrated into Thunderbird for
quite some time, and no new Thunderbird version is being released
without a working version of Lightning.
Beyond that, TB62 won't be a TB release version, there will only be a
beta. TB follows the FF ESR release cycle.

> I assume this is similar to the
> migration for Firefox when many add-ons stopped working in the new
> platform (FF 57 or 58, can't recall).

This isn't correct either. Thunderbird will continue to support legacy
add-ons for the time being and until further notice.

I don't know how and why people continuously come up with rumors and
speculations, and when asked, cannot provide a source of it.
So I'm not going to comment on this any further.

0
Christian
7/27/2018 6:06:01 PM
This seems pretty typical of Mozilla.  I updated Thunderbird to Version 60 =
and poof -  no more calendar.  Who in their right mind decides that a calen=
dar is not a useful capability for a mail client and provides no help or gu=
idance?  =20

Here one indication of the problem
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1229874

The solution says=20
"After Thunderbird has been relaunched, Lightning will be back and you will=
 have access to your calendar data again. "

NO I DONT (OS X 10.9.5)=20

For me this is not a rumour. This is a clear fact.
see
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/24/thunderbird-60-and-extensions-support/

It says
"The change is disastrous for Thunderbird's extension ecosystem. If you che=
ck the first two pages of extensions that have the most users on the Thunde=
rbird Add-ons site, you will find out that only eight of the 40 Thunderbird=
 extensions with the most users are compatible at this point in time."

Further in the page it says
"    Open Thunderbird if it is not open already.
    Tap on the Alt-key to display the menubar and select Tools > Options fr=
om the menu. Alternative: click on the new menu icon (the three horizontal =
bars) and select options when it opens.
    Switch to the Advanced tab.
    Click on the Config Editor button under General (it opens by default).
    Confirm that you will be careful.
    Search for extensions.strictCompatibility.
    Double-click on the preference."

Not for me -  I can get to Tools--> Options because in my OS and Version th=
ere is no Options sub menu.

A pox on this incompetence...

On Friday, July 27, 2018 at 2:06:39 PM UTC-4, Christian Riechers wrote:
> On 7/27/18 6:40 AM, Pierre D wrote:
> > On 07/25/18 16:05, Christian Riechers wrote:
> >> On 07/25/2018 09:09 PM, Pierre D wrote:
> >>
> >> What exactly have you been reading? Please post a link.
> >>
> > I cannot recall where I saw it and cannot find it by googling). I
> > remember reading that because Lightning is not a restartless add-on, it
> > will stop working when TB 62 rolls out.
>=20
> This is not true. Lightning has been integrated into Thunderbird for
> quite some time, and no new Thunderbird version is being released
> without a working version of Lightning.
> Beyond that, TB62 won't be a TB release version, there will only be a
> beta. TB follows the FF ESR release cycle.
>=20
> > I assume this is similar to the
> > migration for Firefox when many add-ons stopped working in the new
> > platform (FF 57 or 58, can't recall).
>=20
> This isn't correct either. Thunderbird will continue to support legacy
> add-ons for the time being and until further notice.
>=20
> I don't know how and why people continuously come up with rumors and
> speculations, and when asked, cannot provide a source of it.
> So I'm not going to comment on this any further.
0
parry
8/31/2018 3:34:58 AM
On 8/30/18 11:34 PM, parry wrote:
> This seems pretty typical of Mozilla.  I updated Thunderbird to Version 60 and poof -  no more calendar.  Who in their right mind decides that a calendar is not a useful capability for a mail client and provides no help or guidance?
>
> Here one indication of the problem
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1229874
>
> The solution says
> "After Thunderbird has been relaunched, Lightning will be back and you will have access to your calendar data again."
>
> NO I DONT (OS X 10.9.5)
>
> For me this is not a rumour. This is a clear fact.
> see
> https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/24/thunderbird-60-and-extensions-support/
>
> It says
> "The change is disastrous for Thunderbird's extension ecosystem. If you check the first two pages of extensions that have the most users on the Thunderbird Add-ons site, you will find out that only eight of the 40 Thunderbird extensions with the most users are compatible at this point in time."
>
> Further in the page it says
> "    Open Thunderbird if it is not open already.
>      Tap on the Alt-key to display the menubar and select Tools > Options from the menu. Alternative: click on the new menu icon (the three horizontal bars) and select options when it opens.
>      Switch to the Advanced tab.
>      Click on the Config Editor button under General (it opens by default).
>      Confirm that you will be careful.
>      Search for extensions.strictCompatibility.
>      Double-click on the preference."
>
> Not for me -  I can get to Tools--> Options because in my OS and Version there is no Options sub menu.
>
> A pox on this incompetence...

I don't know anything about Mac's, but have you gone to Tools > Add-ons
and looked in the Extensions tab to see if Lightning is installed and
enabled? It should be version 6.2.

No need to change any "extensions.strictCompatibility" preference.

Bookmark this link for future reference.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Menu_differences_in_Windows,_Linux,_and_Mac

RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

0
WaltS48
8/31/2018 1:56:59 PM
Walt please read this link
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/24/thunderbird-60-and-extensions-support/
which says

"In plain English: any extension that is not explicitly compatible with Thu=
nderbird 60 will be disabled. Attempts to install incompatible Thunderbird =
extensions are blocked and users get the "could not be installed because it=
 is not compatible with Thunderbird" error message."

essage which says that the lightning addon is not compatible with the curre=
nt Thunderbird.  The actual only way of making it work is to force the rela=
xation of the strict compatability policy. =20

The site I just quoted says
"There is a way out, however, at this point in time. The Thunderbird develo=
pment team added an option to opt-out of the strict extension compatible ch=
ecking enforcement. While that does not necessarily mean that extensions wi=
ll work if they are not listed as compatible, chance is good that they do i=
f they have been updated recently."

HOWEVER, the important step that provides me access to the internal configu=
ration of Thunderbird (not written for a mac since it quotes the use of an =
Alt key to reveal the menu, while on the Mac the menu is always visibel)

"2.Tap on the Alt-key to display the menubar and select Tools > Options fro=
m the menu. Alternative: click on the new menu icon (the three horizontal b=
ars) and select options when it opens."

My menu does not have a tools-->options submenu so I can't get to the confi=
guration of the client.

Nett, I appreciate your response, but I would have appreciated it somewhat =
more if you had read what I had written.  Especially the comment from ghack=
s.

So again, I say a pox on Mozilla and on the thoughtlessness with which it c=
hanges critical parts of its usability without warning or apparent forethou=
ght.

I am willing to admit, nay happy to do so, if someone can prove that I am a=
n idiot and do not know what I am talking about.  But until then a pox on M=
ozilla.

Rant off

On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 9:57:09 AM UTC-4, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 8/30/18 11:34 PM, parry wrote:
> > This seems pretty typical of Mozilla.  I updated Thunderbird to Version=
 60 and poof -  no more calendar.  Who in their right mind decides that a c=
alendar is not a useful capability for a mail client and provides no help o=
r guidance?

> > Here one indication of the problem
> > https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1229874
> >
> > The solution says
> > "After Thunderbird has been relaunched, Lightning will be back and you =
will have access to your calendar data again."

> > NO I DONT (OS X 10.9.5)
> >
> > For me this is not a rumour. This is a clear fact.
> > see
> > https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/24/thunderbird-60-and-extensions-support=
/

> > It says
> > "The change is disastrous for Thunderbird's extension ecosystem. If you=
 check the first two pages of extensions that have the most users on the Th=
underbird Add-ons site, you will find out that only eight of the 40 Thunder=
bird extensions with the most users are compatible at this point in time."

> > Further in the page it says
> > "    Open Thunderbird if it is not open already.
> >      Tap on the Alt-key to display the menubar and select Tools > Optio=
ns from the menu. Alternative: click on the new menu icon (the three horizo=
ntal bars) and select options when it opens.
> >      Switch to the Advanced tab.
> >      Click on the Config Editor button under General (it opens by defau=
lt).
> >      Confirm that you will be careful.
> >      Search for extensions.strictCompatibility.
> >      Double-click on the preference."
> >
> > Not for me -  I can get to Tools--> Options because in my OS and Versio=
n there is no Options sub menu.

> > A pox on this incompetence...
> >

>=20
> I don't know anything about Mac's, but have you gone to Tools > Add-ons=
=20
> and looked in the Extensions tab to see if Lightning is installed and=20
> enabled? It should be version 6.2.
>=20
> No need to change any "extensions.strictCompatibility" preference.
>=20
> Bookmark this link for future reference.
>=20
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Menu_differences_in_Windows,_Linux,_and_Mac
>=20
> --=20
> CPU: 3.2 Ghz AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 Processor
> RAM: 8 GiB
> Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
> OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

0
jurij
8/31/2018 6:51:23 PM
On 8/30/2018 11:34 PM, parry wrote:
> This seems pretty typical of Mozilla.  I updated Thunderbird to Version 60 and poof -  no more calendar.  Who in their right mind decides that a calendar is not a useful capability for a mail client and provides no help or guidance?

> NO I DONT (OS X 10.9.5)
>
> For me this is not a rumour. This is a clear fact.
> see
> https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/24/thunderbird-60-and-extensions-support/
>
> It says
> "The change is disastrous for Thunderbird's extension ecosystem. If you check the first two pages of extensions that have the most users on the Thunderbird Add-ons site, you will find out that only eight of the 40 Thunderbird extensions with the most users are compatible at this point in time."

If you read the link in the section of the your message above, it does
not say Lightning is incompatible.

The picture is of the Addon page shows Lightning installed properly.
The red warning says Password Exporter could not be installed because it
is incompatible with Thunderbird 60.0.

You are right that to make Lightning an incompatible with out updating
would be stupid.  However the people at who work on Thunderbird are not
stupid and it is being updated.

As it says other addons may not be compatible, but we will learn to live
without them as we did when Firefox did the same thing.  However like
Firefox, after a time there will be as many addons doing the function
you need for Thunderbird, as there were before the change.  They may not
be the familiar addons titles you are use to.

Most of my addons were lost when Firefox made the change, BUT I have
more addons now doing more things than I did before the change.
0
Keith
8/31/2018 7:04:11 PM
On 2018-08-31 2:51 p.m., jurij@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Walt please read this link
> https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/24/thunderbird-60-and-extensions-support/
> which says
>
> "In plain English: any extension that is not explicitly compatible with Thunderbird 60 will be disabled. Attempts to install incompatible Thunderbird extensions are blocked and users get the "could not be installed because it is not compatible with Thunderbird" error message."
>
> In response to your question the answer is that on my Mac, I got an error message which says that the lightning addon is not compatible with the current Thunderbird.  The actual only way of making it work is to force the relaxation of the strict compatability policy.
>
> The site I just quoted says
> "There is a way out, however, at this point in time. The Thunderbird development team added an option to opt-out of the strict extension compatible checking enforcement. While that does not necessarily mean that extensions will work if they are not listed as compatible, chance is good that they do if they have been updated recently."
>
> HOWEVER, the important step that provides me access to the internal configuration of Thunderbird (not written for a mac since it quotes the use of an Alt key to reveal the menu, while on the Mac the menu is always visibel)
>
> "2.Tap on the Alt-key to display the menubar and select Tools > Options from the menu. Alternative: click on the new menu icon (the three horizontal bars) and select options when it opens."
>
> My menu does not have a tools-->options submenu so I can't get to the configuration of the client.
>
> Nett, I appreciate your response, but I would have appreciated it somewhat more if you had read what I had written.  Especially the comment from ghacks.
>
> So again, I say a pox on Mozilla and on the thoughtlessness with which it changes critical parts of its usability without warning or apparent forethought.
>
> I am willing to admit, nay happy to do so, if someone can prove that I am an idiot and do not know what I am talking about.  But until then a pox on Mozilla.
>
> Rant off

Hi Parry,
Extension compatibility documentation should not apply to Lightning,
because Thunderbird comes with a compatible version of Lightning already
installed. :)
In other words, when I updated to Thunderbird 60 (on Mac ;) ), the
update came with an updated version of Lightning.

If, for some reason, your version of Lightning is saying that it is not
compatible, something went wrong during the update.
Could you try the solutions in the following article, and see if any of
them help:
<https://support.mozilla.org/kb/calendar-updates-issues-thunderbird>.

--
<http://ilias.ca/links>
Chris
On 8/31/2018 2:51 PM, jurij@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Walt please read this link
> https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/24/thunderbird-60-and-extensions-support/
> which says

>> I don't know anything about Mac's, but have you gone to Tools > Add-ons
>> and looked in the Extensions tab to see if Lightning is installed and
>> enabled? It should be version 6.2.
>>
>> No need to change any "extensions.strictCompatibility" preference.
>>
>> Bookmark this link for future reference.
>>
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Menu_differences_in_Windows,_Linux,_and_Mac
>>
>> --
>> CPU: 3.2 Ghz AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 Processor
>> RAM: 8 GiB
>> Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
>> OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

jurij@us.ibm.com

  Please answer the question asked in an effort to help you.

What version of Lightning are you trying to add to TB 60.0?

The only way you can get the release TB 60 is to download it and install
it manually.  This seems like a good move on Mozilla's part as it
prevents the automatic up grade.  If there are problems found in TB 60.0
they will be somewhat controlled.

Since Lightning is now considered an integrated part of TB the only way
you can get 6.2 is  with the install package for TB 60.0.

Also you are quoting a 5 month old article, which in computer time is
quite obsolete.

While I lost some addons, all of the important addon were updated with
the TB 60.0 install.  For another there was an update, that had not
worked through the Mozilla system.

0
Keith
9/1/2018 2:51:55 PM
On 8/30/2018 11:34 PM, parry wrote:
> This seems pretty typical of Mozilla.  I updated Thunderbird to Version 60 and poof -  no more calendar.  Who in their right mind decides that a calendar is not a useful capability for a mail client and provides no help or guidance?

This complaint was sent by Parry as Parry

Also post nearly the same complaint
jurij@us.ibm.com

Which is Parry email address

Since it is obvious he is just complaining not looking for a solutions,
I will no longer respond and  try to help him.
0
Keith
9/1/2018 2:57:26 PM
On Wednesday, 25 July 2018 20:09:58 UTC+1, Pierre D  wrote:
> I read that TB60 will be the last version where Lightning as it stands today will work.
> I have been relying on Lightning for the past 6+ years so this is very disappointing
> news, even if it is not a surprise (it was announced sometime last year).
>
> So what are Lightning users supposed to switch to? Assuming Lightning will not be
> converted to a restartless add-on.
>
> Pierre

Hi Guys,
Lightning calendar has disapeared on my Linux 18.04 after I installed the Mozilla team "next" version 60.0 for Linux.
None of the recommended hacks worked, including the strict compatibility off...

+1 for the desire to find a solution...
victoria
10/7/2018 6:03:23 PM
On 10/7/18 2:03 PM, victoria@caffe-parigi.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 July 2018 20:09:58 UTC+1, Pierre D  wrote:
>> I read that TB60 will be the last version where Lightning as it stands today will work.
>> I have been relying on Lightning for the past 6+ years so this is very disappointing
>> news, even if it is not a surprise (it was announced sometime last year).
>>
>> So what are Lightning users supposed to switch to? Assuming Lightning will not be
>> converted to a restartless add-on.
>>
>> Pierre
>
> Hi Guys,
> Lightning calendar has disapeared on my Linux 18.04 after I installed the Mozilla team "next" version 60.0 for Linux.
> None of the recommended hacks worked, including the strict compatibility off...
>
> +1 for the desire to find a solution...
> Thanks

By disappeared you mean you don't see it in the Add-ons Manager at all?

What hacks?
0
WaltS48
10/8/2018 4:41:53 PM
Same here, all gone. No mentioning of a calendar in any menu.

I just removed Lightning - then obtained lightning-5.4-sm+tb-linux.xpi, which then cannot be installed b/c not compatible.

I am running TB on two Linux mint systems.

This is really dab!

On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 4:47:44 PM UTC+13, vict...@caffe-parigi.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 July 2018 20:09:58 UTC+1, Pierre D  wrote:
> > I read that TB60 will be the last version where Lightning as it stands today will work.
> > I have been relying on Lightning for the past 6+ years so this is very disappointing
> > news, even if it is not a surprise (it was announced sometime last year).
> >
> > So what are Lightning users supposed to switch to? Assuming Lightning will not be
> > converted to a restartless add-on.
> >
> > Pierre
>
> Hi Guys,
> Lightning calendar has disapeared on my Linux 18.04 after I installed the Mozilla team "next" version 60.0 for Linux.
> None of the recommended hacks worked, including the strict compatibility off...
>
> +1 for the desire to find a solution...
> Thanks

0
blucap
10/16/2018 5:51:00 AM
Hi!

This made it work for me in Linux Mint 18.3:
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/calendar/lightning/candidates/6.2b6-candidates/build1/

In my case:
linux-x86_64/
lightning-6.2b6.de.xpi

Regards
Manfred

Am 16.10.18 um 07:51 schrieb blucap@gmail.com:
> Same here, all gone. No mentioning of a calendar in any menu.
>
> I just removed Lightning - then obtained lightning-5.4-sm+tb-linux.xpi, which then cannot be installed b/c not compatible.
>
> I am running TB on two Linux mint systems.
>
> This is really dab!
>
> On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 4:47:44 PM UTC+13, vict...@caffe-parigi.com wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 25 July 2018 20:09:58 UTC+1, Pierre D  wrote:
>>> I read that TB60 will be the last version where Lightning as it stands today will work.
>>> I have been relying on Lightning for the past 6+ years so this is very disappointing
>>> news, even if it is not a surprise (it was announced sometime last year).
>>>
>>> So what are Lightning users supposed to switch to? Assuming Lightning will not be
>>> converted to a restartless add-on.
>>>
>>> Pierre
>>
>> Hi Guys,
>> Lightning calendar has disapeared on my Linux 18.04 after I installed the Mozilla team "next" version 60.0 for Linux.
>> None of the recommended hacks worked, including the strict compatibility off...
>>
>> +1 for the desire to find a solution...
>> Thanks

0
Manfred
10/16/2018 9:25:58 AM
Bonjour/Hi,

J'ai essay=C3=A9 d'installer le fichier .xpi de lightning 6.2b6-candidates =
pour Ubuntu 18.04. J'ai tent=C3=A9 toute les versions de 6.2b1 jusqu'=C3=A0=
 6.2b6 et aucune n'a voulue s'installer dans TB. Ce que je n'arrive pas =C3=
=A0 comprendre c'est que hier encore le 15 octobre j'ai consult=C3=A9 mon a=
genda lightning dans TB et il fonctionnait !!!
Pas de MAJ entre hier et aujourd'hui, comme ci subitement il avait "d=C3=A9=
cid=C3=A9" de ne plus fonctionner ! Hallucinant...

I tried install .xpi lightning file from 6.2b1 to 6.2b6 and neither work ! =
What i cannot explain it's that lightning extension worked yesterday evenin=
g. No Updating between yesterday and now !!! It's amazing...

Besoin d'aide/Need help

Merci/thank
0
indwist
10/16/2018 10:38:41 AM
On 10/16/18 6:38 AM, indwist@gmail.com wrote:
> I tried install .xpi lightning file from 6.2b1 to 6.2b6 and neither work ! What i cannot explain it's that lightning extension worked yesterday evening. No Updating between yesterday and now !!! It's amazing...

Why are you using a beta version of Lightning?

What version of Thunderbird?

If you are using Thunderbird 60.2.1 on Ubuntu try opening a terminal and
type: sudo apt-get install xul-ext-lightning.

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
WaltS48
10/16/2018 1:56:30 PM
On Tuesday, 16 October 2018 16:56:41 UTC+3, WaltS48  wrote:
> On 10/16/18 6:38 AM,  wrote:
> > I tried install .xpi lightning file from 6.2b1 to 6.2b6 and neither work ! What i cannot explain it's that lightning extension worked yesterday evening. No Updating between yesterday and now !!! It's amazing...
>
> Why are you using a beta version of Lightning?
>
> What version of Thunderbird?
>
> If you are using Thunderbird 60.2.1 on Ubuntu try opening a terminal and
> type: sudo apt-get install xul-ext-lightning.
>
> --
> OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
> https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/get-involved/

Thanks for the advise!! So I have just done the update as per your suggestion - all went well, now - where do I see it in TB (I did restart TB about 5 times after the installation)?
# thunderbird is already the newest version (1:60.2.1+build1-0ubuntu0.18.04.2).
# xul-ext-lightning is already the newest version (1:60.2.1+build1-0ubuntu0.18.04.2).
0
thebatevladi
10/16/2018 2:48:44 PM
On 16.10.2018 11:25, Manfred Schwarz wrote:
> This made it work for me in Linux Mint 18.3:
> https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/calendar/lightning/candidates/6.2b6-candidates/build1/

Don't use it. It is old and contains bugs that were resolved in later
releases. Try the xpi package that is shipped with Thunderbird. You can
get one by downloading and extracting the thunderbird*.tar.bz2 from
mozilla website.
0
Stefan
10/16/2018 4:09:59 PM
On 10/16/18 10:48 AM, thebatevladi@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, 16 October 2018 16:56:41 UTC+3, WaltS48  wrote:
>> On 10/16/18 6:38 AM,  wrote:
>>> I tried install .xpi lightning file from 6.2b1 to 6.2b6 and neither work ! What i cannot explain it's that lightning extension worked yesterday evening. No Updating between yesterday and now !!! It's amazing...
>> Why are you using a beta version of Lightning?
>>
>> What version of Thunderbird?
>>
>> If you are using Thunderbird 60.2.1 on Ubuntu try opening a terminal and
>> type: sudo apt-get install xul-ext-lightning.
>>
>> --
>> OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
>> https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/get-involved/
> Thanks for the advise!! So I have just done the update as per your suggestion - all went well, now - where do I see it in TB (I did restart TB about 5 times after the installation)?
> # thunderbird is already the newest version (1:60.2.1+build1-0ubuntu0.18.04.2).
> # xul-ext-lightning is already the newest version (1:60.2.1+build1-0ubuntu0.18.04.2).

You don't see it in your Add-ons Manager?

You may have to enable it, restart and then use Events and Tasks >
Calendar to load the calendar tab.

--
Get Involved <https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/get-involved/>
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
0
WaltS48
10/16/2018 6:24:43 PM
Done
Thank you.

Am 16.10.18 um 18:09 schrieb Stefan Sitter:
> On 16.10.2018 11:25, Manfred Schwarz wrote:
>> This made it work for me in Linux Mint 18.3:
>> https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/calendar/lightning/candidates/6.2b6-candidates/build1/
>

> Don't use it. It is old and contains bugs that were resolved in later
> releases. Try the xpi package that is shipped with Thunderbird. You can
> get one by downloading and extracting the thunderbird*.tar.bz2 from
> mozilla website.

0
Manfred
10/16/2018 10:06:55 PM
On Tuesday, 16 October 2018 21:24:53 UTC+3, WaltS48  wrote:
> On 10/16/18 10:48 AM, thebate....@gmail.com wrote:
> >> Why are you using a beta version of Lightning?
> >>
> >> What version of Thunderbird?
> >>
> >> If you are using Thunderbird 60.2.1 on Ubuntu try opening a terminal and
> >> type: sudo apt-get install xul-ext-lightning.
> >>
> >> --
> >> OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
> >> https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/get-involved/
> > Thanks for the advise!! So I have just done the update as per your suggestion - all went well, now - where do I see it in TB (I did restart TB about 5 times after the installation)?
> > # thunderbird is already the newest version (1:60.2.1+build1-0ubuntu0.18.04.2).
> > # xul-ext-lightning is already the newest version (1:60.2.1+build1-0ubuntu0.18.04.2).
>
> You don't see it in your Add-ons Manager?
>
> You may have to enable it, restart and then use Events and Tasks >
> Calendar to load the calendar tab.
>
> --
> Get Involved <https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/get-involved/>
> OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

Thank you @WaltS48 - nope, just like George below, I only saw the disabled old version of the extension. But as per his method, once the old extension is removed and TB restarted the new one comes to live with all calendar settings as before.

Thanks @Geroge!
0
thebatevladi
10/17/2018 6:10:44 AM
Well, thanks all. It's work for me now

i made the correction in five steps:

1) uninstall the old lightning module 5.4 incompatible with TB 60.2.1
2) install the last xul-ext-lightning from your deposits, than restart and you'll find lightning in english
3) for those who want a translation, you can download the lightning-6.2b6.xpi from TB FTP (choose your language)
4) install it with the module menu in TB
5) restart TB to find lightning in your language

ps. it's appear that you don't need install xul-ext-lightning for use lightning in TB. Only the lightning-6.2b6.xpi is required
0
indwist