Representing yourself as a Rep

Hi all,

I wanted to write to you today about one of the sections in the agreement
we all signed when we became Reps.

>From Section 3 of the Mozilla reps agreement:

   - You can use your role as a Mozilla Rep only to benefit the Mozilla
   Project and mission and the Mozilla community and programs

   - You are not an employee or agent of Mozilla and cannot represent
   yourself as such.

It is important that we don't misrepresent our roles in the Mozilla
Community. In many cases the reasons why, and how to represent ourselves
properly are obvious, but in some cases it's not so clear. For example,
there is a difference between using your role as a Mozilla Rep on a resume
and using it on your website to promote a business or project.

Interestingly, the Mayor of my city is in the middle of a Conflict of
Interest legal suit and while reading about it I have been thinking about
the similarities. He runs a football foundation and has used his City
business card and letterhead when raising funds for the charity. Elected
officials shouldn't use their political status outside of government
business. People might think that by contributing to the charity they get
extra political consideration, or that it is somehow a government
initiative. Similarly, people may think your other projects are backed by
Mozilla if you use your status as a Rep to promote them. Even if you make
it clear that's not the case, connections and benefits can still be assumed.

In some situations you can accidentally misrepresent yourself. For example
on Facebook it allows you to show you worked with a community organization
which would presumably be on a volunteer basis, but on your profile it can
end up showing that organization as an employer. The newly formed Social
Media Task Force is working on guides that will show you how to and how not
to represent yourself on these sites. In the mean time If you have any
questions please ask on this list and we'll take a look.

In the case that someone is obviously violating this section of the
agreement, or have ignored notices that they are violating the agreement,
the consequence is removal from the Reps program. When in doubt, take it
down and ask for help.

If you see someone violating this (or any) section of the Reps Agreement,
please notify council at reps-council@mozilla.com so we can help them
correct the problem.

On behalf of your council,
Majken "Kensie" Connor
0
Majken
10/25/2012 5:13:08 PM
mozilla.reps.general 1858 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Hi Majken,

Hope you are doing great!

I totally agree with your reminding us of this agreement. I still remember somebody from an event partner asking me whether I am paid to do that!

It's always a good idea to keep remembering about this agreement. Don't you think  that 'Volunteer' should be somewhere on the Reps card? and also clearly shows that this comes from Mozilla Foundation! to avoid confusion!

Best,

Sandraghassen [Ganesh]
Mauritius

On Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:13:13 PM UTC+4, Majken Connor wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I wanted to write to you today about one of the sections in the agreement
>
> we all signed when we became Reps.
>

> >From Section 3 of the Mozilla reps agreement:
>

>    - You can use your role as a Mozilla Rep only to benefit the Mozilla
>
>    Project and mission and the Mozilla community and programs
>

>    - You are not an employee or agent of Mozilla and cannot represent
>
>    yourself as such.
>

> It is important that we don't misrepresent our roles in the Mozilla
>
> Community. In many cases the reasons why, and how to represent ourselves
>
> properly are obvious, but in some cases it's not so clear. For example,
>
> there is a difference between using your role as a Mozilla Rep on a resume
>
> and using it on your website to promote a business or project.
>

> Interestingly, the Mayor of my city is in the middle of a Conflict of
>
> Interest legal suit and while reading about it I have been thinking about
>
> the similarities. He runs a football foundation and has used his City
>
> business card and letterhead when raising funds for the charity. Elected
>
> officials shouldn't use their political status outside of government
>
> business. People might think that by contributing to the charity they get
>
> extra political consideration, or that it is somehow a government
>
> initiative. Similarly, people may think your other projects are backed by
>
> Mozilla if you use your status as a Rep to promote them. Even if you make
>
> it clear that's not the case, connections and benefits can still be assumed.
>

> In some situations you can accidentally misrepresent yourself. For example
>
> on Facebook it allows you to show you worked with a community organization
>
> which would presumably be on a volunteer basis, but on your profile it can
>
> end up showing that organization as an employer. The newly formed Social
>
> Media Task Force is working on guides that will show you how to and how not
>
> to represent yourself on these sites. In the mean time If you have any
>
> questions please ask on this list and we'll take a look.
>

> In the case that someone is obviously violating this section of the
>
> agreement, or have ignored notices that they are violating the agreement,
>
> the consequence is removal from the Reps program. When in doubt, take it
>
> down and ask for help.
>

> If you see someone violating this (or any) section of the Reps Agreement,
>
> please notify council at reps-council@mozilla.com so we can help them
>
> correct the problem.
>

> On behalf of your council,
>
> Majken "Kensie" Connor

0
ganesh
3/16/2013 3:01:57 AM
Hi all,
I have usually experienced some confusion about being a Rep/volunteer when
I talk to people about Mozilla. Very often, I sense that they don't take
you seriously when you tell them you are a volunteer. But only when you
tell them Mozilla is non-profit and is based on values, they then
understand. But it is not understood right away.
The Rep status is not clear to most people I speak to and when I start
explaining, then things become more confising!! ;-)

We have only a business card (or maybe a button!) to really make ourselves
credible. I think the business card should not just include our name and a
few web adresses but also complete Mozilla contact information maybe
at the back
of the card. I usually have to give another business card with my phone
contact when meeting local authorities like the mayor (I spoke to yesterday!).
Credibility is very important when meeting education and council
authorities and anything that can reinforce that should be done. Cause as a
rep, people do not come to you but it's you that goes to meet them. And you
sometimes have just a few minutes to approach people, attract attention and
be listened to!
For me it is very clear I am a volunteer (not an employee) but it is not
obvious people we meet and talk you will understand we are serious
representatives
of Mozilla.
That is of course my very personal view.

Regards
Ibrahima SARR.

2013/3/16 <ganesh.ssp@gmail.com>

> [...]
> >
> > on Facebook it allows you to show you worked with a community
> organization
> >
> > which would presumably be on a volunteer basis, but on your profile it
> can
> >
> > end up showing that organization as an employer. The newly formed Social
> >
> > Media Task Force is working on guides that will show you how to and how
> not
> >
> > to represent yourself on these sites. In the mean time If you have any
> >
> > questions please ask on this list and we'll take a look.
> >

> > In the case that someone is obviously violating this section of the
> >
> > agreement, or have ignored notices that they are violating the agreement,
> >
> > the consequence is removal from the Reps program. When in doubt, take it
> >
> > down and ask for help.
> >

> > If you see someone violating this (or any) section of the Reps Agreement,

Ibraahiima