Mozilla fiddles while Mozilla burns

Today I contacted three people that I had in the past convinced to switch from IE or Chrome to FF. I persuaded them to uninstall FF because of your culture of politically correct bigotry. After reading this list today, I think I'll keep doing that as a hobby. Why? Because after the politically correct witch hunt that resulted in Eich being out and radical gays being appeased, all I see here are what come across as smug attempts to deflect blame and just weather the storm. FF is the new IE, the boorish clod that wants to just dissemble or stomp over any opposition in the style of Gates.

Yes, I've seen the aggravatingly repetitive "Eich wasn't forced out, he quit" replies which only come across as being deliberately misleading. The fact will always remain that he is gone because radical gays wanted him gone over his personal beliefs.

There is also the disingenuous refusal to acknowledge that we live in a era of politically correct witch hunts, which is why people are finally fed up. This episode did not occur in a vacuum. Mozilla is Cracker Barrel part 2.

There are the ever present double-standards of political correctness, such as the calls in the moderation thread that any opposition to gay marriage should be censored from this list. But in another thread, any employees who called for Eich's purging should not suffer any negative consequences, because that is presumably the good kind of intolerance on their part.

Then we have the claims that Mozilla statements didn't mean what they said. The chairwomans' statement that everyone reasonably interprets as "we're so eagerly sorry that we didn't purge the intolerant bigot sooner" didn't really mean that after all. Sure, sure... Since the tidal wave of negative backlash, she makes no statement wanting to communicate on that, much less apologize on that part of the 'community', does she? That makes her original meaning doubly clear.

Some particular examples:

Here's a statement that merges two very wrong approaches: "On the one hand, someone from Engagement should talk to the petitioners and explain that we did not fire Brendan or coerce him to resign. On the other hand, if it's not really affecting usage, is it worth it?  -Sheeri Cabral" So much for being principled, huh? It's just a matter of what Mozilla can get away with after all.

Or this:
"If I understand correctly what you write, you are changing browser
because 4 employees of Mozilla have asked for the resignation of
Brendan? Or am I misunderstanding?

Best regards,
 David "

which comes across as condescendingly mocking.

Then there are the inevitable "let's move on" exhortations because Mozilla is the supposed great repository of fairness and equality and tolerance of diverse speech. That's entirely laughable, considering that the CEO was just purged to appease radical gays. (Sure, sure... he "volunteered to be purged!")

But wait, Eich was also encouraged to accept a humiliating demotion, so that makes everything all right. Then there's the outright falsehood that he's still an active part of Mozilla.

Through it all, while many, many thousands (and growing) are infuriated over what happened, not one person from Mozilla is. Not from the top to the bottom, none that have overtly said so anyway. Quite a disconnect.

So keep fiddlling, Mozilla. People are coming to believe that you are even less trustworthy than the deceptive spies of megacorporation google. You are making enemies and enemies have a way of multiplying. That's the same maxim that Micro$oft arrogantly ignored all those years ago.
0
Big
4/10/2014 2:34:07 AM
mozilla.governance 734 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Hi:  This is the first time I have seen a discussion forum on Firefox, I wa=
s just curious about any comments that might be posted about this Eich busi=
ness.  I don't really care about an employee of FF having contributed to so=
me political campaign some years ago.=20
I do not know a single person who has ever given a thought to the political=
 concerns of a browser CEO, or of a browser company.  I got FF because I go=
t an Apple Mac and Safari was having trouble when Yahoo made some improveme=
nt.  And I got Chrome so I could use 2 Yahoo mail accounts.=20
2 days ago I had to get a new Java applet and Chrome failed to install it, =
Java suggested FF because it had 64 bit instead of 32 bit something and so =
I got it with FF.=20
I had no idea that FF or Mozilla had put together gradeschool training pack=
ages.  Sounds great.  I have no idea what they are.=20
It sounds stupid to have fired the guy for contributing to some political c=
ampaign that has nothing to do with his job.  I gather he was a capable emp=
loyee.  Maybe the marriage activist lobby is a critical market share and he=
 was a public figure, I doubt it.
I say give me a good browser and I will use it and keep the technology curr=
ent so you can attract people away from Chrome.=20
And it is funny that this forum is hosted by Google.=20
P.
0
Peter
4/10/2014 11:05:38 PM
I couldn't agree more with this eloquent post. I have already taken down FF=
 from my office computers, company smart phones and company tablets. I will=
 NOT be a party to bullying bigots who espouse one particular ideology as b=
eing "correct" and all others as being "wrong."

In your culture, Mozilla, do you only accept monies and support from those =
who agree with your collective mindset? If so, please clarify your stance o=
n your corporate landing page so that the rest of us will be able to look e=
lsewhere for our browser needs. Sic Semper Tyrannus...
0
heykevin55

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 2:05 AM, Peter Smith <peterjsmithatty@gmail.com> wrote:
> It sounds stupid to have fired the guy for contributing to some political campaign that has nothing to do with his job.

He was not fired. He resigned under outside pressure. Please see
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/05/faq-on-ceo-resignation/

> I gather he was a capable employee.

Indeed.

> And it is funny that this forum is hosted by Google.

It looks rather weird these days, sure. This forum originated on
Usenet and was archived by a company called Deja News. Google bought
that company and has been hosting the archive ever since--since way
before Google became a browser competitor of Mozilla. The forum is
also available as a Mozilla-hosted mailing list that's two-way bridged
to the Usenet group. Google additionally provides its own mailing list
bridge for the Usenet group.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@hsivonen.fi

Thanks for reaching out with your concern. I assume that your question
is asked tongue in cheek, but I will answer anyway: of course not. We do
not expect people to agree with Mozilla on anything, although we hope
that they realize that our objective is to defend free speech, privacy
and education through the open web.

Now, if I understand correctly, you believe that Brendan Eich was fired
from Mozilla, and even worse, that he was fired for his political views.
While we are saddened by Brendan's departure, this is fortunately not
what happened. As you are not the only person who came forward on this
topic, we have put together a page that I hope can allay your concerns:

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/05/faq-on-ceo-resignation/

If you have any question, do not hesitate to ask, we will do our best to
answer.

Best regards,
 David

On 11/04/14 10:56, heykevin55@gmail.com wrote:
> I couldn't agree more with this eloquent post. I have already taken dow=
n FF from my office computers, company smart phones and company tablets. =
I will NOT be a party to bullying bigots who espouse one particular ideol=
ogy as being "correct" and all others as being "wrong."
>=20
> In your culture, Mozilla, do you only accept monies and support from th=
ose who agree with your collective mindset? If so, please clarify your st=
ance on your corporate landing page so that the rest of us will be able t=
o look elsewhere for our browser needs. Sic Semper Tyrannus...
>=20

--=20
David Rajchenbach-Teller, PhD
 Performance Team, Mozilla

--XPaixNLAK8TWtPcVDQ9Tf0JTfttop8vpe

--XPaixNLAK8TWtPcVDQ9Tf0JTfttop8vpe--
0
David
4/11/2014 2:15:40 PM
On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 6:56 PM,  <heykevin55@gmail.com> wrote:

> In your culture, Mozilla, do you only accept monies and support from thos=
e who agree with your collective mindset? If so, please clarify your stance=
 on your corporate landing page so that the rest of us will be able to look=
 elsewhere for our browser needs. Sic Semper Tyrannus...

The Mozilla community participation guidelines are here:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/governance/policies/participation/.

They were created specifically so that people with different views
about topics such as marriage equality can work constructively
together on the Mozilla mission, which is described here:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/manifesto/

Finally, note that "Mozilla" is a word with multiple meanings. There
is the Mozilla corporation, which is what Brendan was the CEO of, and
there is the wider Mozilla project, whose community consists of both
employees of the corporation, as well as thousands of volunteers
spread all over the world.

Thanks.

Nick
0
Nicholas
4/11/2014 10:29:03 PM
Peter, this is an aside but I'm sending it to the list instead of to you personally so that you will (hopefully) see that I'm not contradicted: it's unsafe as far as hacking goes to use Java on the web, so I'd consider either not using it or else coming up with some procedure to have Java active *only* when absolutely necessary.

11.04.2014, 17:10, "Peter Smith" <peterjsmithatty@gmail.com>:
> Hi: �This is the first time I have seen a discussion forum on Firefox, I was just curious about any comments that might be posted about this Eich business. �I don't really care about an employee of FF having contributed to some political campaign some years ago.
> I do not know a single person who has ever given a thought to the political concerns of a browser CEO, or of a browser company. �I got FF because I got an Apple Mac and Safari was having trouble when Yahoo made some improvement. �And I got Chrome so I could use 2 Yahoo mail accounts.
> 2 days ago I had to get a new Java applet and Chrome failed to install it, Java suggested FF because it had 64 bit instead of 32 bit something and so I got it with FF.
> I had no idea that FF or Mozilla had put together gradeschool training packages. �Sounds great. �I have no idea what they are.
> It sounds stupid to have fired the guy for contributing to some political campaign that has nothing to do with his job. �I gather he was a capable employee. �Maybe the marriage activist lobby is a critical market share and he was a public figure, I doubt it.
> I say give me a good browser and I will use it and keep the technology current so you can attract people away from Chrome.
> And it is funny that this forum is hosted by Google.
> P.
Big
4/12/2014 5:52:46 PM
Somebody needs to go through all Mozilla sites and burn at the stake any calls to ajax.googleapis, and jquery at google and so on. Why not put out an open request for volunteers to report any instances? That'd be an honorable witch hunt to be proud of. Put up a public statement about doing do. Privacy advocates could point to such a statement. People might start to get the idea that they don't look cool and savvy by saying "google it".

11.04.2014, 17:37, "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@hsivonen.fi>:

>> �And it is funny that this forum is hosted by Google.
>
> It looks rather weird these days, sure. This forum originated on
> Usenet and was archived by a company called Deja News. Google bought
> that company and has been hosting the archive ever since--since way
> before Google became a browser competitor of Mozilla. The forum is
> also available as a Mozilla-hosted mailing list that's two-way bridged
> to the Usenet group. Google additionally provides its own mailing list
> bridge for the Usenet group.
>
> --
> Henri Sivonen
> hsivonen@hsivonen.fi
> https://hsivonen.fi/
Big
4/12/2014 6:04:01 PM
Thank you, Kevin. I'll add that I haven't seen anything yet from Mozillans about righting the wrong, it's only been about not blaming Mozilla.

Also, I hope that Mozilla has considered that a relatively small number of radical gays could have spent a lot of time using various accounts etc to sign petitions, thereby over representing their numbers.

Also if the user agent string from Pale Moon gets counted as being FF, since they only add some text at the end. That would apply to looking at usage stats.

11.04.2014, 17:09, "heykevin55@gmail.com" <heykevin55@gmail.com>:
> I couldn't agree more with this eloquent post. I have already taken down FF from my office computers, company smart phones and company tablets. I will NOT be a party to bullying bigots who espouse one particular ideology as being "correct" and all others as being "wrong."
>
> In your culture, Mozilla, do you only accept monies and support from those who agree with your collective mindset? If so, please clarify your stance on your corporate landing page so that the rest of us will be able to look elsewhere for our browser needs. Sic Semper Tyrannus...
Big

My Government's Dumber Than Your Government
Nah-nah-nee-Nah-nah! :-p -- Jeff, The "Jeff Rhodes" <jefferio.remove.this@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:93928@forums.codegear.com... > Nah-nah-nee-Nah-nah! :-p Defo was with Bush 1&2 the new guy will somehow walk into one gaff after another, money rules. Then the world wants him to do well and everyone would cry setup, so whatever happens the trap or real gaff he will get away with it. Assasination will see him off I just cant see him getting through his full term. Hope I'am wrong but some red-neck is thinking about it somewhere. Rita 4 presid...

Burn the Heart burn with natural heartburn remedies
Millions of people suffer from heart burn occasionally(once a month) or chronically(2 to3 times a week), sometimes we get eager to seek natural remedies for this painful disease, there are drug treatments available for this disease too drugs like antacids, H2 blockers, and proton pump inhibitors(PPI) also can be a great help. It is always advisable to get yourself checked by the doctor for such type of diseases as they are usually under diagnosed by the doctors. For information please visit :- http://www.brendawatson.com/digestive-conditions/heartburn/ ...

governance

Burned again
Another perspective on 64. http://blogs.synergex.com/gm_blog/2010/08/30/burned-again/ These guys used to use a number of Delphi components for their UI. They needed to upgrade their grid to 64-bit several years ago, just as Borland announced upcoming 64-bit support. I was on their advisory board and recommended they just wait. Not waste any of their time on it, They decided to go ahead and write their own, and have been glad ever since that they didn't follow my advice. Now, they tease me about still using Delphi every chance they get. Brad. -- "Einste...

government spying
Name: pat Product: Firefox Summary: government spying Comments: i understand that a number of internet servers have been spying on US citizens by allowing the Bush administration to monitor people's emails. I would like to know what Firefox's thoughts and policies are about this. Thank you. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.13) Gecko/20080311 Firefox/2.0.0.13 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

CD burning
Hi all, Is CD burning possible in Netware OS. If so ,what are the steps. Regards, JG JG, > Is CD burning possible in Netware OS. If so ,what are the steps. some applications can write to a CD writer - eg Portlock can image a server to CD - but there is no native support for CD Writing. -- Hamish Speirs Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop. http://haitch.net (Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will probably be ignored) ...

burn outs
I have my burnouts as well, in 2 yrs time 10 times in psych clinic, i am bipolar type 1, look at http://abilify.com -- GJ ...

Governing EV
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------040003090906070403070402 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi All, The extended validation (EV) criteria requires yearly re-auditing of the CA. Without this requirement a CA does not conform to the EV criteria. I wanted to ask, how we at Mozilla govern this requirement, which procedures are in place for receiving and reviewing the yearly audit reports. If no such procedure is defined yet, I want to suggest to define that now, since we have already included and u...

Burning too early
http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/08/28/burning-man-comes-early-this-year/?hp -- Marcel Cox http://support.novell.com/forums Good grief, an arsonist at Burning Man. Isn't that sort of ironic? : ) Susan Novell Community Chat Moderator http://support.novell.com/forums/faq_rules.html http://www.ncci.org NCCIrregulars Web Site Susan wrote: > Good grief, an arsonist at Burning Man. Isn't that sort of ironic? : ) > Well one would think so :) I went to BM in '91 and it was pretty crazy. Now when I read stuff about BM they make it like it's ...

Burn() problem
I've been given a lot of very useful help on burning a CD but I've come to a halt with Burn(). I get a message that it is 'not defined' so I suppose I need a header. I have included the one stated in the help files but it still doesn't work. Any further assistance would be much appreciated. Cheers, David Hello David, > I've been given a lot of very useful help on burning a CD but I've > come to a halt with Burn(). I get a message that it is 'not defined' You are trying to use it the wrong way. I just answered this same question in...

Burning on POSIX
Porters, What's going on w/ POSIX and FreeBSD? Making POSIX (dynamic) Processing hints file hints/freebsd.pl Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lposix Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lcposix Writing Makefile for POSIX cp POSIX.pod ../../lib/POSIX.pod cp POSIX.pm ../../lib/POSIX.pm AutoSplitting ../../lib/POSIX.pm (../../lib/auto/POSIX) /usr/home/dankogai/work/perl-current/miniperl "-I../../lib" "-I../../lib" ../../lib/ExtUtils/xsubpp -noprototypes -typemap ..../../lib/ExtUtils/typemap -typemap typemap POSIX.xs ...

Burning error
Hey guys, I've been trying to burn Suse 11.2 to a DVD now for a couple of days but I keep running into trouble. When verifying a disk after burning Suse on it it keeps giving me errors. I've tried Nero and ImgBurn, different burners, different ISOs, different burning speeds (downloaded via torrent and http) but it keeps giving me the verification error. The only thing I haven't tried is a different brand of DVDs but until now I've never had any problems with this brand. Does anyone have any ideas? -- Menthus -----------------------------------------------...

crash and burn
Name: Jana Pace Email: jmpstuffatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: crash and burn Comments: Each time I updated Firefox it got worse and worse and worse. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything else I can use JUST YET! FIREFOX IS A PIECE OF CRAP, SLOWSLOWSLOWCRASHCRASHCRASH. HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY BE PROUD OF THIS PRODUCT. Oh, and if I happen to figure out your humanness code below, I want you to know that it is IMPOSSIBLE TO READ! Guess that is your way of keeping from seeing the bad feedback. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10.4; en-US;...

Resource Governing
We have users on our data warehouse that are initiating queries that get out of control. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can identify these queries and then stop them or limit the result set? We are using ASE 12.5.01 EBF 9982 on Solaris 2.8. My colleague thinks she saw a feature in 12 or 12.5 that allowed us to do this. Thanks :,D Yes, see chapter 6 of the 12.5 ASE System Administration Guide. http://manuals.sybase.com:80/onlinebooks/group-as/asg1250e/sag/@Generic__BookView -bret Dan Servin wrote: > > We have users on our data warehouse that are init...

Wonkaland burned!
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_10183827 Firefighters extinguish three-alarm blaze at Apple's Cupertino campus Craig: Wow, a 3-alarm fire that burned for 3 hours. That's more than just a smouldering wastepaper basket! : ) Susan Novell Community Chat Moderator http://support.novell.com/forums/faq_rules.html http://www.ncci.org NCCIrregulars Web Site I know! Big news around here! The news crews were forbidden from standing near the building, ostensibly because of R&D inside. That's why it made me think of Charlie, with Steve Jobs as Wonka. :) ...

Web resources about - Mozilla fiddles while Mozilla burns - mozilla.governance

Mozilla Labs
Popcorn lets users link social media, news feeds, data visualizations and other content directly to moving images. The result is a new form of ...

Mozilla Tips
Mozilla’s Firefox is one of the most popular browsers in the digital market today. The ongoing commitment of Mozilla to performance, privacy ...

Mozilla — Home of the Mozilla Project — mozilla.org
Mozilla Mission About Projects Get Involved We are Non-profit, for the good of the Web Different by Design Proudly non-profit Innovating for ...

Mozilla Festival - Open web developers, journalists and educators coming together to reinvent media on ...
Here’s a curated selection of #MozFest tweets and media, filtered for links, demos, interviews and documentation created by Mozilla Festival ...

Mozilla Ignite
Design and build apps for the faster, smarter internet of the future . Mozilla and the National Science Foundation invite you to take part in ...

Mozilla Links
Recent Firefox nightlies feature more bits from Australis, the new major theme update. This time, toolbar buttons have gone flat, featuring no ...

Mozilla Popcorn - Making video work like the web
mozilla Home Popcorn.js Popcorn Maker Learn Popcorn Blog What is POPCORN? Popcorn makes video work like the web. We create tools and programs ...

The Mozilla Blog - News, notes and ramblings from the Mozilla project
News, notes and ramblings from the Mozilla project