Firefox 3.5 Beta 4: Closing last tab with CTRL-F4 closes Firefox

Name:    Timo Lehmann
Product: Other (please state)

Comments:
When pressing CTRL-F4 to close the last tab I expect to get a blank
tab-page. Instead of this the whole application is shutting down...
Tested with Firefox 3.5 Beta4 German language.

Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; de; rv:1.9.1b4) Gecko/20090423 Firefox/3.5b4 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/

see it.
0
Timo

The same in Linux with the newest 3.5b99.

Thats annoying and should be changed/fixed.

0
Proper
6/5/2009 8:26:05 AM
Found a solution here

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1160335&hilit=single+tab

Use the following in your file user.js

// Don't close firefox when closing the last tab
user_pref("browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab", false);

0
Proper

In the 3.5 beta, when you have multiple tabs open and use ctrl+f4 to close them it allows you to close the final tab open (which closes the browser).
Name: Joshua Product: Firefox Summary: In the 3.5 beta, when you have multiple tabs open and use ctrl+f4 to close them it allows you to close the final tab open (which closes the browser). Comments: In the 3.5 beta, when you have multiple tabs open and use ctrl+f4 to close them it allows you to close the final tab open (which closes the browser). Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b4) Gecko/20090423 Firefox/3.5b4 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this...

Firefox 3.1beta2 closing last tab closes Firefox
Name: Michael Bower Product: Shiretoko Summary: Firefox 3.1beta2 closing last tab closes Firefox Comments: I noticed on the Beta 2 that when you use the Close Tab (right click on tab and select Close Tab) feature when there is only one tab open, it slams shut Firefox. It used to close that tab and start a new tab... This was nice since it cleared all the BACK links and basically started Firefox over for you... Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b2) Gecko/20081201 Firefox/3.1b2 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: H...

3.5.4 beta 3 ctrl-F4 closes two tabs
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: 3.5.4 beta 3 ctrl-F4 closes two tabs Comments: Using 3.5.4 Beta 3 for Windows, ctrl-F4 to close the current tab closes it and the previous tab as well. Tab-related extensions installed: Tab Kit 0.5.8 TabRenamizer 0.9.6 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.4) Gecko/20091007 Firefox/3.5.4 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to ...

Close last tab closes Firefox 3.5.x??
In earlier versions of Firefox, if there was a single tab it had a close button, "x", and if you used it (or used the "Close Tab" option on the File menu), Firefox did not close. It just displayed a blank window. With this version of Firefox, there is no close button on the last/only tab. And if you use "Close tab" from the File menu then Firefox closes. Since I skipped several versions of Firefox 3.x I do not know when this behavior changed. Is there some way to customize Firefox so it uses the old behavior in this regard? -- John Sm...

closing tab issue with Firefox 3.5 Beta 4
Name: Eric Jang Email: ericjang2004atgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: closing tab issue with Firefox 3.5 Beta 4 Comments: If I have one window open and an untitled tab open, ctrl-w will not close the untitled tab. The tab merely flashes like it is about to close, but remains there. I have experimented with multiple untitled tabs, and this issue appears to only occur with single untitled tabs. I would appreciate it if this minor bug were fixed. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.1b4) Gecko/20090423 Firefox/3.5b4 From URL: h...

firefox 3.5 RC 4
Name: Paul Steier Email: psteieratprolificsdotcom Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: firefox 3.5 RC 4 - I would like a way of closing the last tab Comments: Unlike Firefox 3, there so no way of just closing the last tab. Also, I would like to get rid no the new Open Window button on the tab bar. Also, I would like a Close Tab button that I can put on the tool bar. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1b4) Gecko/20090423 Firefox/3.5b4 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a respo...

Firefox 3.5 Beta 4
Name: Raoul Pinto Email: raoulpintoatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 3.5 Beta 4 - Why on Earth do you leave out "close tab on double click" Comments: Why on Earth do you leave out "close tab on double click"? O.O Mozilla is supposed to be improving this version, and it has greatly improved by being quicker and more responsive, great job on that. But then to not provide the "close on doible click" feature shows that you guys still have trouble understanding your customers, though not to the extent that Microsoft does. :thumbsup: A...

Closing Tab-Preview closes Firefox 3 RC3, OS X 10.5.3
Name: Dude Email: pfennigfuchseratgmxdotde Product: Firefox Summary: Closing Tab-Preview closes Firefox 3 RC3, OS X 10.5.3 Comments: Start FF, open 4 tabs from the bookmark bar. open tab preview. press green button of tab preview to maximize it, press green button again. press red button to close it - firefox closes too. reproducable here. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; de; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008061004 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

In 3.5 Beta 4, closing a single tab closes the program rahtethan leaving a blank tab
Name: Alan S. Kay Email: askatwelldotcom Product: Firefox Summary: In 3.5 Beta 4, closing a single tab closes the program rahtethan leaving a blank tab Comments: I note that closing a single tab closes the program rather than leaving a blank tab. Is this intended behavior? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b4) Gecko/20090423 Firefox/3.5b4 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the send...

Firefox 3.5 you removed the close tab buton for the last active tab
Name: Shawn McCrum Email: powersofgoodatmsndotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 3.5 you removed the close tab buton for the last active tab Comments: The close tab "X" for the remaining active tab is gone with the upgrade to 3.5. Please put it back. Really please, please, please and pretty please. Thank you in advance. Thank you for all of the work that you all do. Yours, Shawn Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to rea...

Last single tab removal without closing firefox 3.5; returned to 3.0
Name: Joyce Faler Email: joycefatuidahodotedu Product: Firefox Summary: Last single tab removal without closing firefox 3.5; returned to 3.0 Comments: I frequently use the 3.0 ability to remove (wipe clean) a single tab, without closing firefox. I use it so much I have removed 3.5 & returned to 3.0. Looking forward to your re-incorporating this feature into 3.5, which I will then be more than happy to use. Thank you for firefox! Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11 From URL: http://hendrix.mozi...

Ctrl+w on the last tab closes the window in 3.5.2. Only closed the tab in earler release (leaving an empty window).
Name: Rick Zevin Email: rzevinataustindotrrdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Ctrl+w on the last tab closes the window in 3.5.2. Only closed the tab in earler release (leaving an empty window). Comments: Ctrl+w on the last tab closes the window in 3.5.2. I preferred the behavior in prior releases. I would frequently close the last tab if it was one of those many sites that constantly updated. This Ctrl+w would leave the window open. I could always use Crtl+Shift+W if I wanted the window closed (or Alt+F4 in Windows). Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT ...

Firefox 3.5 Beta release. When closing programm process remains active and prevents restart of Firefox under Windows Vista. Memory intenese flash caused firefox to freeze
Name: Sebastian Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 3.5 Beta release. When closing programm process remains active and prevents restart of Firefox under Windows Vista. Memory intenese flash caused firefox to freeze Comments: The problem stated above happend quite often after Firefox was running for some time 3-4 Hours. When restarting Firefox a message that firefox was already running popped of, and the process had to be stopped via task manager (ctrl alt del). Second thing I recognized was when starting 2-3 memory intense Flash-Applications in tabs firefox would freeze (games f...

Firefox 3.5 Beta 4
Name: David Twinley Email: davidattwinleydotmedotuk Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 3.5 Beta 4 - Process not closing Comments: When closing Firefox it disappears from the desktop but does not completely close. On looking at the task manager I see that the process is still active. I have to close the process before I can re-start Firefox. I also had the same problem with 3.1 Beta 3. I'm running Vista 32, all patches applied. I'm also using the latest beta of Thunderbird 3.0b2 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1b4) Gecko/2009...

Web resources about - Firefox 3.5 Beta 4: Closing last tab with CTRL-F4 closes Firefox - mozilla.feedback

Firefox Affiliates

Firefox OS
The latest news about Firefox OS

Techarger Firefox

Firefox Flicks : Winners

Firefox Beta Launches Social API With Facebook Messenger As Initial Partner
As originally announced earlier this month by Firefox parent Mozilla , the beta test of the Web browser’s Social API launched Monday with Facebook ...