Firefox 2.0.0.4 Automatic Update installation in Limited User account auto up-date installation bug (previously reported in earlier FireFox versions)

Name:    Dave, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Product: Firefox

Comments:
The bug already discussed at length in Bug Reports 374900, 370280,
303595, 340535 and perhaps others, still exists in FireFox version 2.0.0.4.

While operating FireFox from a Limited User account in Windows XP, SP2,
I received the message from the FireFox up-dater that the 2.0.0.4
up-date had been downloaded and FireFox needed to be restarted. Fool
that I am, I decided to try to install it from the Limited User account,
rather than logging out and signing on to the Admin account (I probably
sub-consciously expected FireFox to abort the installation and tell me
to install from the Admin account. It turns out that the problem in the
Limited User account still occurs even after going into the Admin
account, downloading the up-date to 2.0.0.4 and/or starting FireFox from
the Admin account).

Gory details:

Upon restarting FireFox from the Limited Account, the installation
process began, only to subsequently display the message that one or more
files could not be installed. (It would have been helpful if FireFox
specified which files couldn't be installed and to what
directory/folder, to save me checking permissions on my account profiles
(i.e. applications folder under the account name) and Firefox profiles.

Bottom line, the problem with the up-dater and its operation on Limited
User Windows accounts that has been previously documented, still exists
in version 2.0.0.4.

I even did a full download of version 2.0.0.4 from the Mozilla web site,
to see if that made any difference, since there was never any problem
up-dating/restarting FireFox from within the Admin account. No
improvement - the error from FireFox start-up when in the Limited
Account still occurred.

Finally, I went searching through the maze of bug reports and came
across the above noted bug reports and from the discussions, gleaned one
work around seemed to be to temporarily give the Limited User account,
Modify permissions to the FireFox main program folder, then go back into
the Limited User account and restart FireFox to complete the install on
that account (then go back into the Admin account to remove the Modify
permissions from the Limited User account. Pain, but it worked.

I hope the developers can resolve this bug/anomaly soon.

Dave

Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4
0
Dave

Firefox 2.0.0.10 closes automatically to install update to 2.0.0.11
Hi, who on earth implemented this stupid thing that Firefox 2.0.0.10 closes automatically without any warning to install an update to 2.0.0.11. I might appreciate an automatic update feature but I hate that an update is done without any user pre-warning. I can not accept that Firefox shutdowns itself to install an update. I was just accessing my mailbox to write an email and this was gone due to the unexpected shutdown. Please avoid such stupid things in future! Stefan On 8/12/2007 12:25, sw.nospam@gmx.net wrote: > Hi, > > who on earth implemented this stupi...

firefox 2.0.0.4 installs realplayer and old firefox version
Name: Andreas Email: andreasatpartysaarfaridotde Product: Firefox Summary: firefox 2.0.0.4 installs realplayer and old firefox version Comments: I went on this page: http://video.tu-clausthal.de/vorlesungen/iee/et1-ws0304/27102003/et1-27102003.html and clicked on a symbol on the left part of this side to install additional plugin. It's realplayer 10 Okay it installed it, and after installation, firefox wasn't version 2.0.0.4 anymore - it was 1.5.0.6 ! But I had never installed that version 1.5.0.6 on my computer, because it's a fresh system. Whats w...

Installing Firefox V. 2.0.0.4 (over 2.0.0.3) has disabled Skype
Name: Norman MacLeod Email: norshmacattalktalkdotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Installing Firefox V. 2.0.0.4 (over 2.0.0.3) has disabled Skype Comments: I used Skype successfully before installing the 2.0.0.4 update. After that Skype (V 2.0.0.6) booted up but would not function. None of the contact icons light up and if you do try to make contact, "Misc Error" appears. Is there a cure or have I to uninstall Firefox? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4 ...

Windows update will not let me update after installing firefox 2.0.0.4
Name: Tim Email: twhitehouseatnotifycorpdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Windows update will not let me update after installing firefox 2.0.0.4 Comments: I upgraded to the new firefox 2.0.0.4. Then, I went to update windows and it is telling me the following: Please change your Internet Explorer security settings To save changes to your settings for this website, you need to enable userdata persistence for Internet Explorer. Complete the steps below, and then click Change settings to the left and try saving your changes again. In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, ...

upgrade from 4.0.1 install version to 4.0.2 install version, how?
Hi, I have a workable, clean 4.0.1 installed version of DNN running and am trying to upgrade to 4.0.2. i tried to follow the instruction on the documentation unzip the DNN_402_Install and put in corresponding directory in 4.0.1's website, run up the website and upgrade it. but it keeps hung up on the upgrade screen and going nowhere.  what files exactly should i extract and place in where, any special commands for running this upgrade? thank you very much in advance.  ...

Firefox version 2.0.0.3 is being updated to 2.0.0.2?
Name: Russell Nelson Email: rnelsonatgenedotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox version 2.0.0.3 is being updated to 2.0.0.2? Comments: I am currently using a version of Firefox with the version number of 2.0.0.3. This is the second time that I have been told that it has now been updated to a newer version of Firefox with a version number of 2.0.0.2. I assume that 2.0.0.3 is newer (and better) than version 2.0.0.2. How can I stop this "update"? Russ Nelson 650-225-7212 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070...

Firefox 2.0.0.4 installed but updates come every day
Name: Walt Weintz Email: waltwwatcruziodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 2.0.0.4 installed but updates come every day Comments: For a few weeks the update software for Firefox 2.0.0.4 automatically tries to install an update to my already installed Firefox 2.0.0.4 browser. This update software is relentless retrying almost immediately after I cancel it from my computer. I have no idear what is causing this and would appreciate any suggestions. I believe I have a satisfactory brower version installed as I have no problems using it but don't know how to stop the ha...

Firefox update keeps downloading 1.5.0.10 even though I installed 2.0.0.2
Name: Richard Hirsh Email: irichardatflashdotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox update keeps downloading 1.5.0.10 even though I installed 2.0.0.2 Comments: Usually occurs when Firefox is auto-loaded from Thunderbird. I have already deleted version 1.5.0.9 of Firefox and emptied trash. I don't know where it is finding the older version, but it loads and then queries whether I want to install 1.5.0.10 immediately. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2 ...

Cannot open update or addons for Firefox since 2.0..0.16 and Firefox 3.01 installed
Name: biochemist795 Email: biochemical795atgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Cannot open update or addons for Firefox since 2.0..0.16 and Firefox 3.01 installed Comments: Automatic update and addon link doesn't work Cannot enter and open addon or update links manually Cannot find any reason or source of these problems Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Firefox recommends Update 2.0.0.7 but the update is not installed
Name: dirk.amtsberg@gmx.de Email: dirkdotamtsbergatgmxdotde Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox recommends Update 2.0.0.7 but the update is not installed Comments: Firefox recommends Update 2.0.0.7 with a pop up. Despite clicking on update several times (including restart of Firefox and the Compute) the update is not installed so that I receive the same request for an update every day. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070725 Firefox/2.0.0.6 ...

Firefox 2.0.0.4 and Thunderbird 2.0.0.4
Name: Steven C. Stacy Email: bigmosteve_57atwildbluedotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 2.0.0.4 and Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 Comments: I have been a programmer for 30 years. I just upgraded to the versions on Firefox and Thunderbird listed in the subject line. I think these versions are very buggy. Firefox's password manager doesn't work and even with the link "http://hendrix.mozilla.org" work around link to "force autocomplete=off doesn't do the trick. Thunderbird can get my e-mail but keeps asking for one on the accounts password. When I ca...

Firefox 2.0.0.4 Installation
Name: Ward Phillips Email: wardphillipsatacmdotorg Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 2.0.0.4 Installation Comments: Your web page for installation instructions for firefox 2.0.0.4 Linux contains NO installation instructions whatsoever. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4 ...

Firefox 2.0.0.4 and Firefox 1.5.0.12 Security and Stability Update
As part of Mozilla Corporation=92s ongoing stability and security =20 update process, Firefox 1.5.0.12 and Firefox 2.0.0.4 are now =20 available for Windows, Mac, and Linux for free download from http://=20 getfirefox.com. Due to the security fixes, we strongly recommend that all Firefox =20 users upgrade to these latest releases. Note: We anticipate this to be the last release in the Firefox =20 1.5.0.x series. Mozilla typically maintains support for previous =20 releases for six months after a major release. Mozilla has previously =20= extended the planned end of life for the ...

Continually keeps re-installing Firefox 2.0.0.2 Update
Name: Rowland Parker Email: rowlanddotparkeratinternode.on.net Product: Firefox Summary: Continually keeps re-installing Firefox 2.0.0.2 Update Comments: Latest Firefox Version (2.0.0.2) keeps re-installing the Update (2.0.0.2). Now up to 6 times over the last 2 days. System Using Windows XP Pro. Browser Details: ShonenScape ...

Web resources about - Firefox 2.0.0.4 Automatic Update installation in Limited User account auto up-date installation bug (previously reported in earlier FireFox versions) - mozilla.feedback

List of United States Army installations in Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blink Twice video installation at Summer Set Festival: 3D motion faces projected on trees - YouTube
Blink Twice is a video installation that transforms trees into huge 3D faces that smile, move, gesticulate and even follow the viewer's gaze. ...