Mozilla Hacks metrics, June 2014

Hi everyone,

Here are the metrics for Mozilla Hacks for June, together with visitor =
segments. Short story: almost highest number of visitors in a long time! =
:-) We've had over 200,00 unique visitors two months in a row now! I can =
also give a heads-up and say that it will be lower in July, due to =
vacation times, fewer posts, announcements and more.

June 2014

204,559 Unique Visitors (previous month 208,406)
324,756 Pageviews (previous month 326,617)

In June, we had 12 posts (just as in May), where two got a lot of =
attention: WebIDE announcement and Firefox OS Apps run on Android. Other =
posts on the Web Audio Editor, The Flame phone and ServiceWorkers also =
got a good amount of exposure.

I'm happy to see the ongoing and returning visitors to the Hacks blog =
and happy to see the content staying versatile. If you have =
developer-focused content, please consider the Hacks blog since it =
reaches a wide audience, has great credibility and you also get support =
with writing, moderation and more.

Attached reports

- June 2014
- June 2014, with visitor segments
- June 2014 vs. May 2014

I've highlighted interesting bits from June below:

- Robert

0
Robert
7/8/2014 5:06:22 PM
mozilla.engagement.developers 983 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

2014 developer program goals & metrics
In August we met to discuss the developer program. We agreed on a vision statement and metrics that would track them. A team led by Patrick Finch took the vision statement and the draft metrics defined the metrics along with a way to measure them. Attached are the metrics and how they will be measured. Metrics are tricky and there is a balance between measuring exactly what you want and measuring something that you can consistently measure over time. Constructive comments welcome. :) Stormy ...

Feedback channel metrics, Developer Tools, May 2014
Hi all, Here's the first report for the feedback channel for Firefox Developer = Tools on UserVoice: https://ffdevtools.uservoice.com/ These numbers cover May 2014, when we launched it and it got a lot of = extra attention. Coming months, I'm sure these numbers will go down, but = as long as we have a steady flow of ideas and, more importantly, people = reading and voting, it shows there's an ongoing interest in the progress = we make and an extra benefit with this direct interaction with = developers and our transparency around it I'm also quite happy to see the...

Firefox Developer Tools Meeting, Thursday, June 12, 2014
Our weekly Firefox Developer Tools meeting is tomorrow, Thursday June 12, 2014. https://etherpad.mozilla.org/devtools-meeting3 - Thursdays at 9:00am Pacific (PST), 12:00pm Eastern (EST), 17:00 UTC, 18:00 CET - Vidyo room: Devtools - Vidyo room link: https://v.mozilla.com/flex.html?roomdirect.html&key=kJp7HpENLMjj - 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99459 - 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99459 (US) - #devtools on irc.mozilla.org for backchannel SF: Justice League Portland: Hair of the Dog Vancouver: Siwash Toronto: 5F Paris: Ouhlala! Please add items to the Roun...

Feedback channel metrics, Developer Tools on UserVoice, July 2014
Hi all, Here comes the July report for the feedback channel for =46irefox Develop= er Tools on UserVoice:=C2=A0 http://mzl.la/devtools I'm very happy to see that we still get a good consistent attention with = inspiring and constructive ideas for making the Developer Tools even bett= er. We have also how shipped two versions of =46irefox Aurora with featur= e suggestions from developers through UserVoice baked into the product. =46irefox 32: https://hacks.mozilla.org/2014/06/toolbox-inspector-scratch= pad-improvements-firefox-developer-tools-episode-32/ =46irefox 33: http...

Next Websites & Developer Engagement Meeting on June 6th
We'll hold the next Websites & Developer Engagement Meeting on June 6th at 8am PT. It will be a 30 minute meeting held via Vidyo with an audio only option as well as an irc backchannel. Please add any agenda items you have to the wiki. You are welcome to add anything you'd like to update the team on as well as anything you'd like to know more about. https://wiki.mozilla.org/Engagement/Developer_Engagement/Meetings/2012-06-06 Stormy ...

Feedback channel metrics, Developer Tools & Open Web Apps on UserVoice, November 2014
Hi all, Here comes the November report for the feedback channels for Firefox = Developer Tools & Open Web Apps on UserVoice:=20 http://mzl.la/devtools <http://mzl.la/devtools> http://mzl.la/openwebapps <http://mzl.la/openwebapps> In short: massive success for the Developer Tools one, still ongoing = interest in the Open Web apps one, although it basically hasn't been = promoted at all for the last two months. This will be the last report from me. For future references, Jeff = Griffiths will run the Developer Tools channel and Andrew Overholt the = Open Web...

Feedback channel metrics, Developer Tools & Open Web Apps on UserVoice, October 2014
Hi all, Here comes the October report for the feedback channels for Firefox = Developer Tools & Open Web Apps on UserVoice:=20 http://mzl.la/devtools <http://mzl.la/devtools> http://mzl.la/openwebapps <http://mzl.la/openwebapps> October 2014, Developer Tools feedback channel Visitors: 993 Unique visitors (996 prev. period) 76.8% New Visitors, 23.2% Returning Visitors (78.1% New Visitors, 21.9% = Returning Visitors prev. period) 70.64% Bounce Rate (67.03% prev. period - single page visits) 2.67% of the visitors came from MDN (4.15% prev. period) 1.92% o...

Feedback channel metrics, Developer Tools & Open Web Apps on UserVoice, August 2014
Hi all, I hope you like numbers=21 Here comes the August report for the feedback = channels for =46irefox Developer Tools & Open Web Apps on UserVoice:=C2=A0= http://mzl.la/devtools http://mzl.la/openwebapps I'm very happy that we during this period launched an additional feedback= channel around Open Web Apps, and that it performs about as good as the = one about Developer Tools. The Open Web Apps channel also had a=C2=A0100% response rate=C2=A0to all = the ideas we got, which is being manned collaboratively by the WebAPI tea= m (Andrew Overholt & more), Partn...

Feedback channel metrics, Developer Tools & Open Web Apps on UserVoice, September 2014
Hi all, Numbers, lessons, things to learn! Here comes the September report for = the feedback channels for Firefox Developer Tools & Open Web Apps on = UserVoice:=20 http://mzl.la/devtools http://mzl.la/openwebapps September 2014, Developer Tools feedback channel Visitors: 996 Unique visitors (1121 prev. period) 78.1% New Visitors, 21.9% Returning Visitors (74.7% New Visitors, 25.3% = Returning Visitors prev. period - Seeing the number of New Visitors go = up is a good thing, reaching more people) 67.03% Bounce Rate (66.01% prev. period - single page visits, a good ...

When a hack is not a hack...
and it's my fault ;) Just thought I'd share an amusing little story with you to a) highlight the danger of careless page security setting, and b) highlight my stupidity in this matter ;) Yesterday I made a custom module live on my site which required Edit rights on the module. Silly old me (in my defense it was 12:00 am and I was tired and annoyed) - I gave edit rights to the PAGE instead of just a module on the page, decided that I was so damn good I didn't need to test the new stuff (all I was doing was replicating my dev server after all ;) and went to sleep... Wo...

Web Development Metrics
Greetings, I'm trying to find some useful metrics to collect for web development projects. We're required, by corporate and SEI CMM policies, to collect metrics for our development projects and I'm struggling to come up with something that is useful to track. Anyone have any suggestions for metrics that you collect on your projects that are actually useful and not one of those "process for the sake of process" type of things? Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide. Zack ...

Developer Engagement Etherpad
I created a Developer Engagement Etherpad: https://devengage.etherpad.mozilla.org My main reason for creating a team etherpad is to create a place to collaborate where it lists all the etherpad documents, not to make etherpad's private. Once information from an etherpad document is "finalized", I think it should be moved over to the wiki, or at least a link should be added there. I don't know how to make the whole pad open to everyone by default, but all new pages should be public. Let me know if you need a user or admin account or a new page created. (There is...

Hacking our hack days
Having just run the MDN hack day in London I found that the way we organised this one especially was not efficient and also a bit heavy on the speaking/showing side of things. All in all we had 3.5 hours of talks/demos which is not a hack day but a small conference. 9:00 Welcome Remarks 9:15 Christian Heilmann - The New Web Challenge 9.45 Rob Hawkes - B2G 10:15 Chloe Varelidi - Catch Them Young - Meet the Web Arcade 10:45 Rob Hawkes - Games 11:15 Break 11:30 Heather Arthur - DevTools 12:00 Jean Yves Perrier - BrowserID 12:30 Brad Lassey - Fennec Goes Native 1.00 Paul Lewis - ...

[Engagement Developers] 2015 Planning
Hi Developer Engagement folks, 2015 Planning Underway Mozilla=E2=80=99s 2015 planning process is underway and I wanted to make su= re you know about it and know that you are welcome to join us if you=E2=80=99d lik= e! I=E2=80=99d also like to call out that the way we set goals for this group will be a bit different than in 2015 as both Mozilla=E2=80=99s process and internal organization have changed. In this note I=E2=80=99m going to focus specific= ally on DevRel/MDN updates and team goals. As reference, our 2014 goals are at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Engagement/Developer_Eng...

No Developer Engagement meeting this week
This week is Mozilla meeting free week, so there will be no developer engagement meeting! Our next meeting will be December 3rd at 9am PT, 17:00 UTC. Robert Nyman will lead the meeting. Enjoy a week with fewer meetings! Stormy ...

Web resources about - Mozilla Hacks metrics, June 2014 - mozilla.engagement.developers

Mozilla Labs
Popcorn lets users link social media, news feeds, data visualizations and other content directly to moving images. The result is a new form of ...

Mozilla Tips
Mozilla’s Firefox is one of the most popular browsers in the digital market today. The ongoing commitment of Mozilla to performance, privacy ...

Mozilla — Home of the Mozilla Project — mozilla.org
Mozilla Mission About Projects Get Involved We are Non-profit, for the good of the Web Different by Design Proudly non-profit Innovating for ...

Mozilla Festival - Open web developers, journalists and educators coming together to reinvent media on ...
Here’s a curated selection of #MozFest tweets and media, filtered for links, demos, interviews and documentation created by Mozilla Festival ...

Mozilla Ignite
Design and build apps for the faster, smarter internet of the future . Mozilla and the National Science Foundation invite you to take part in ...

Mozilla Links
Recent Firefox nightlies feature more bits from Australis, the new major theme update. This time, toolbar buttons have gone flat, featuring no ...

Mozilla Popcorn - Making video work like the web
mozilla Home Popcorn.js Popcorn Maker Learn Popcorn Blog What is POPCORN? Popcorn makes video work like the web. We create tools and programs ...

The Mozilla Blog - News, notes and ramblings from the Mozilla project
News, notes and ramblings from the Mozilla project