Mozilla Hacks Blog Metrics, December 2014

Hi everyone,

Here are the metrics for the Mozilla Hacks blog for December 2014. Note
that November was an exceptional month for Hacks, best month ever since we
started tracking, due in part to the high-visibility launch of Firefox
Developer Edition browser as part of the Fx 10th birthday campaign.

Big thanks to Growth wizards Gareth Cull & Chris More for helping me
consolidate Robert's grab bag of attachments into one comprehensive Hacks
dashboard. If you have any questions, or if there's a particular view or
metric that you'd like to see, or that seems to be missing, please let me
know.

Also, as you may already know, in late November the Hacks blog migrated to
the mozilla.org instance of Wordpress from an unsupported standalone
instance. Thanks to Chris Turra and Craig Cook for making this as painless
as possible. (Details:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/HacksPostMigrationUserDetails). Authors will want
to verify their logins.

And, if you're interested in writing a technical post for the Hacks blog or
have ideas for topics we should be covering, please send them my way.
Let's keep rocking the Hacks blog with great Mozilla
content/product/technology for developers on the Open Web!

Thanks for your kind attention.

Havi

*December 2014*

*132,345 *Users (*243,302* Nov*, *which was Hacks' best month ever*)*
*205,469 *Pageviews (*383,806 *Nov,* 248,910* previous month)
*85.88%* Bounce Rate (*73.53% *Nov*, 82.85*% previous month)
*10* posts (11 previous month)

The most popular posts were:

   - Introducing the JavaScript Internationalization API:
   https://hacks.mozilla.org/2014/12/introducing-the-javascript-internationalization-api/
   - Firefox Developer Edition (Nov):
https://hacks.mozilla.org/2014/11/mozilla-introduces-the-first-browser-built-for-developers-firefox-developer-edition/

   - Firebug 3 & Multiprocess Firefox (e10s):
   https://hacks.mozilla.org/2014/12/firebug-3-multiprocess-firefox-e10s/
   <https://hacks.mozilla.org/2014/06/webide-lands-in-nightly/>
   - Firefox 4: Hardware Acceleration:
   https://hacks.mozilla.org/2010/09/hardware-acceleration/
   - Mozilla and Web Components: An Update:
   https://hacks.mozilla.org/2014/12/mozilla-and-web-components/
0
Havi
1/14/2015 11:17:58 PM
mozilla.engagement.developers 983 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

blogs, blog, blogs
What is a blog? How would I go about creating one in asp.net? Does anyone have any resources they could shed some light on? thanks Hi, take a look at the following links: All About Blogs and RSS Syndicating Your Web Site's Content with RSS and ASP.NET RSS Grz, Kris.Read my blog. Handy Firefox plugins for web developers.Workaround for non working Mark as answer buttons. See also The History of Weblogs. Scotthttp://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/...

2014 developer program goals & metrics
In August we met to discuss the developer program. We agreed on a vision statement and metrics that would track them. A team led by Patrick Finch took the vision statement and the draft metrics defined the metrics along with a way to measure them. Attached are the metrics and how they will be measured. Metrics are tricky and there is a balance between measuring exactly what you want and measuring something that you can consistently measure over time. Constructive comments welcome. :) Stormy ...

Feedback channel metrics, Developer Tools, May 2014
Hi all, Here's the first report for the feedback channel for Firefox Developer = Tools on UserVoice: https://ffdevtools.uservoice.com/ These numbers cover May 2014, when we launched it and it got a lot of = extra attention. Coming months, I'm sure these numbers will go down, but = as long as we have a steady flow of ideas and, more importantly, people = reading and voting, it shows there's an ongoing interest in the progress = we make and an extra benefit with this direct interaction with = developers and our transparency around it I'm also quite happy to see the...

Feedback channel metrics, Developer Tools on UserVoice, July 2014
Hi all, Here comes the July report for the feedback channel for =46irefox Develop= er Tools on UserVoice:=C2=A0 http://mzl.la/devtools I'm very happy to see that we still get a good consistent attention with = inspiring and constructive ideas for making the Developer Tools even bett= er. We have also how shipped two versions of =46irefox Aurora with featur= e suggestions from developers through UserVoice baked into the product. =46irefox 32: https://hacks.mozilla.org/2014/06/toolbox-inspector-scratch= pad-improvements-firefox-developer-tools-episode-32/ =46irefox 33: http...

Feedback channel metrics, Developer Tools & Open Web Apps on UserVoice, September 2014
Hi all, Numbers, lessons, things to learn! Here comes the September report for = the feedback channels for Firefox Developer Tools & Open Web Apps on = UserVoice:=20 http://mzl.la/devtools http://mzl.la/openwebapps September 2014, Developer Tools feedback channel Visitors: 996 Unique visitors (1121 prev. period) 78.1% New Visitors, 21.9% Returning Visitors (74.7% New Visitors, 25.3% = Returning Visitors prev. period - Seeing the number of New Visitors go = up is a good thing, reaching more people) 67.03% Bounce Rate (66.01% prev. period - single page visits, a good ...

Feedback channel metrics, Developer Tools & Open Web Apps on UserVoice, November 2014
Hi all, Here comes the November report for the feedback channels for Firefox = Developer Tools & Open Web Apps on UserVoice:=20 http://mzl.la/devtools <http://mzl.la/devtools> http://mzl.la/openwebapps <http://mzl.la/openwebapps> In short: massive success for the Developer Tools one, still ongoing = interest in the Open Web apps one, although it basically hasn't been = promoted at all for the last two months. This will be the last report from me. For future references, Jeff = Griffiths will run the Developer Tools channel and Andrew Overholt the = Open Web...

Feedback channel metrics, Developer Tools & Open Web Apps on UserVoice, October 2014
Hi all, Here comes the October report for the feedback channels for Firefox = Developer Tools & Open Web Apps on UserVoice:=20 http://mzl.la/devtools <http://mzl.la/devtools> http://mzl.la/openwebapps <http://mzl.la/openwebapps> October 2014, Developer Tools feedback channel Visitors: 993 Unique visitors (996 prev. period) 76.8% New Visitors, 23.2% Returning Visitors (78.1% New Visitors, 21.9% = Returning Visitors prev. period) 70.64% Bounce Rate (67.03% prev. period - single page visits) 2.67% of the visitors came from MDN (4.15% prev. period) 1.92% o...

Feedback channel metrics, Developer Tools & Open Web Apps on UserVoice, August 2014
Hi all, I hope you like numbers=21 Here comes the August report for the feedback = channels for =46irefox Developer Tools & Open Web Apps on UserVoice:=C2=A0= http://mzl.la/devtools http://mzl.la/openwebapps I'm very happy that we during this period launched an additional feedback= channel around Open Web Apps, and that it performs about as good as the = one about Developer Tools. The Open Web Apps channel also had a=C2=A0100% response rate=C2=A0to all = the ideas we got, which is being manned collaboratively by the WebAPI tea= m (Andrew Overholt & more), Partn...

When a hack is not a hack...
and it's my fault ;) Just thought I'd share an amusing little story with you to a) highlight the danger of careless page security setting, and b) highlight my stupidity in this matter ;) Yesterday I made a custom module live on my site which required Edit rights on the module. Silly old me (in my defense it was 12:00 am and I was tired and annoyed) - I gave edit rights to the PAGE instead of just a module on the page, decided that I was so damn good I didn't need to test the new stuff (all I was doing was replicating my dev server after all ;) and went to sleep... Wo...

blog development
Hello ! Give me please a steer about this - how can i write a simple blog service ? What technologies, way etc already exist ? Also is You want - give me a link on the net articles :) Thanks Though I fail to see why people write these things when there are good ones available, look at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/10/Blogging/ Google would have found that for you quicker than waiting for you post to get moderated by the way.... JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post ...

[Project Meeting] It's beginning to look a lot like the end of 2014! 15 December 2014
Hope everyone had a lovely weekend- the Project Meeting is coming up soon! Add your glad tidings to the wiki if you haven't yet: https://wiki.mozilla.org/WeeklyUpdates/2014-12-15 Be well! ~potch ...

Web Development Metrics
Greetings, I'm trying to find some useful metrics to collect for web development projects. We're required, by corporate and SEI CMM policies, to collect metrics for our development projects and I'm struggling to come up with something that is useful to track. Anyone have any suggestions for metrics that you collect on your projects that are actually useful and not one of those "process for the sake of process" type of things? Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide. Zack ...

Developer Engagement Etherpad
I created a Developer Engagement Etherpad: https://devengage.etherpad.mozilla.org My main reason for creating a team etherpad is to create a place to collaborate where it lists all the etherpad documents, not to make etherpad's private. Once information from an etherpad document is "finalized", I think it should be moved over to the wiki, or at least a link should be added there. I don't know how to make the whole pad open to everyone by default, but all new pages should be public. Let me know if you need a user or admin account or a new page created. (There is...

Hacking our hack days
Having just run the MDN hack day in London I found that the way we organised this one especially was not efficient and also a bit heavy on the speaking/showing side of things. All in all we had 3.5 hours of talks/demos which is not a hack day but a small conference. 9:00 Welcome Remarks 9:15 Christian Heilmann - The New Web Challenge 9.45 Rob Hawkes - B2G 10:15 Chloe Varelidi - Catch Them Young - Meet the Web Arcade 10:45 Rob Hawkes - Games 11:15 Break 11:30 Heather Arthur - DevTools 12:00 Jean Yves Perrier - BrowserID 12:30 Brad Lassey - Fennec Goes Native 1.00 Paul Lewis - ...

Reuters blogging platform hacked
Presumably more evidence of governmental hacking: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/03/net-us-reuters-syria-hacking-idUSBRE8721B420120803 ...

Web resources about - Mozilla Hacks Blog Metrics, December 2014 - mozilla.engagement.developers

Category:Articles to be expanded from December 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Car park rage: December the peak time for car park crashes in Melbourne
Reversing, it seems to be the main problem for drivers in shopping centre car parks.

Sunday Show Ratings: December 13
CBS’ Face the Nation with John Dickerson was the top-rated Sunday public affairs program in both total viewers and the key A25-54 demo on December ...

Strong December expected to push 2015 sales to all-time U.S. record
... monthly U.S. sales coverage. U.S. auto sales are on pace to break the industry’s single-year record by more than 100,000 vehicles, with December ...

The Daily Agenda for Friday, December 18
TODAY’S AGENDA is brought to you by: From The Calendar (San Antonio, TX), December 18, 1987, page 7. ( Source .) TODAY IN HISTORY: ► 35 YEARS ...

The Archives: December 17
Especially worth noting: 1. "Secular stagnation" is overwhelmingly [about the equity premium](http://www.bradford-delong.com/2014/12/over-at ...

Apple is offering free next-day delivery on December 23 in the US
Apple is helping out those who have left Christmas shopping a bit late by offering free next-day delivery for online orders made on December ...

Kansas City Fed: Regional Manufacturing Activity "declined moderately" in December
From the Kansas City Fed: Tenth District Manufacturing Activity Declined Moderately The Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City released the December ...

Beijing issues second smog red alert for December
China's capital Beijing issued its second smog red alert of the month on Friday, triggering vehicle restrictions and forcing schools to close. ...

Surface Book to become available to China consumers on December 24
Microsoft China has announced that its new Surface Books will become available for pre-order online on December 24 in China and the retail channel ...