UTF8 support in the Firefox certificate store

--------------060200000708000308000907

I have created a X.509 v3 client certificate using OpenSSL.

The CN and OU field contain UTF8 characters, in this case Thai
characters for testing purposes.

When I import this certificate into the Windows certificate store it
shows all fields correctly, ie I can actually see the Thai characters I
used.

However when I import the certificate into Firefox (3.04) and view the
certificate subject from Firefox (tools->options->advanced->view
certificates->view->details) then the UTF8 characters are not shown
correctly.

Serverside the certificate subject is interpreted correctly for
authentication purposes, when I use Firefox to go to a server to
authenticate against.

Does anybody know if there is a fix or perhaps an add-on for this, since
it appears to be a lack of UTF8 support in the browser.

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Michael

--------------060200000708000308000907--
mozilla.dev.tech.crypto 2018 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

UTF8 support in the Firefox certificate store?
Initially I posted this on another support forum, but was kindly requested to post here instead: I have created a X.509 v3 client certificate using OpenSSL. The CN and OU field contain UTF8 characters, in this case Thai characters for testing purposes. When I import this certificate into the Windows certificate store it shows all fields correctly, ie I can actually see the Thai characters I used. However when I import the certificate into Firefox (3.04) and view the certificate subject from Firefox (tools->options->advanced->view certificates->view->details) th...

x-posting from dev-tech-crypto: web crypto APIs and resources
Hello Security Enthusiasts: I just started a conversation on Web Crypto APIs (low-level, high-level) and the resources to implement in Gecko. https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/mozilla.dev.tech.crypto/rQeNHJsYKoM Cheers, David ...

I have signed CAB file. How to verify the certificate from programatically from .NET web service, certificates are stored in machine certificate store.
I have signed CAB file. How to verify the certificate from programatically from .NET web service, certificates are stored in machine certificate store. Create the ASP.NET Web Application loadTOCNode(2, 'summary'); In this section, you create a simple ASP.NET application. In the sections to follow, you will use client-side certificate authentication to secure this application. Start Visual Studio .NET, and then create a new ASP.NET Web Application project named SecureSite. Drag a Label control from the toolbox onto the WebForm1.aspx Web form...

Certificates are not displayed/selectable from certificates stored on smartcard with Omnikey Smartcard Reader/Safenet DKCK201 PKCS#11 modules sinces FireFox 3.02
Certificates are not displayed/selectable from certificates Manager, for certificates that are stored on a smartcard with Omnikey Smartcard Reader/Safenet DKCK201 PKCS#11 module. They are displayed in Firefox 2.0.0.20 and they were displayed in Firefox 3.0.1. FF 3.0.2 and higer doesn't display the certificates anymore. In the Security Devices, the PKCS#11 module was installed succesfully and on this screen the Certificate name on the smartcard can be shown. The Certificate name has one particular extension to the X.500 name of the Certificate (the 2.5.50.1.0.0 added field)...

automate firefox certificate store
we currently have a process which uses and embedded windows control and the .net security libraries to automate the installation of the client x.509 certificate into the windows store. I had run across some code snippets for doing this in firefox but now for the life of me i can't find the websites. Does anyone have any ideas how we can accomplish this or know of some websites that i can look at for some ideas? thanks ...

Trouble with dev-tech-crypto
I'm having trouble posting to this list. I'm trying to get an announcement posted, but the messages simply disappear without errors. If you end up seeing my messages multiple times, please apologize. This issue is being tracked in bugzilla at mozilla dot org number 839245. (Not including a link, just in case links are the reason why mails are being filtered.) Kai ...

Supporting the Windows Certificate Store
I know that there are probably well thought out reasons that this isn't a features already...BUT! Lot's of US Government users can't use Firefox because it doesn't use the Windows certificate store. Would anyone be totally opposed to adding this feature and having it enabled via group policy? That would allow some IT shops to roll it out with their preferred smart card middleware...like ActivClient. Thoughts? On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 9:17 AM, <joshua.toon@gmail.com> wrote: > I know that there are probably well thought out reasons that this isn't a > f...

How to get into Firefox certificate store
Hey Reps, I just got an email from Po=C5=A1ta Slovenije, a fully state-owned Post of Slovenia. They are a certification authority (CA) and would like to get included in the Firefox certificate store. Does anyone know who should they talk to about it? I thought the answer to this question might help other Reps when dealing with local CAs, which is why I'm posting to this ML. -Matja=C5=BE I believe the process is documented at https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA. Kathleen Wilson is a good point of contact, as well: https://mozillians.org/en-US/u/e976078f3a Cheers, Josh ...

[moderator] testing dev-tech-crypto
I haven't seen any mail on this list for about two weeks. I'm wondering if subscribers have been trying to send mail and have been seeing it fail. If you ever send emails to the list and find that they don't go through, please send an email to me, the moderator. -- Nelson B ...

dev-tech-crypto moderation changes
Since its origin a few months ago, the dev-tech-crypto@lists.mozilla.org list has been moderated, in an effort to keep spam out of the list. The rules have been rather simple: mail sent by list members gets right through, the rest goes into a moderation queue where it is reviewed daily. The occasional on-topic message from a non-subscriber address gets manually passed through, and the rest is discarded. Spam filters (are intended to) recognize most spam and discard it outright, so that the moderator need not review hundreds of spams daily to find the occasional rare nuggets. Un...

Can firefox use personal certificates from the Windows store
Our windows users have personal certificates that enable them to authenticate to web sites that accept certificates. However, firefox does not recognize those certificates nor present them to web sites. The certificates are auto enrolled and are replaced every month. We don't wish for our 3500 users (even 10% of them) to have to export and import the certificates for Firefox. Moreover, the certificates are marked non-exportable to keep them more secure. I understand that it would take a custom pkcs11 plugin to get the browser to obtain certs from the Windows certificat...

Anti-spam changes to dev-tech-crypto mailing list
Dear readers of dev-tech-crypto mailing list, and mozilla.dev.tech.crypto newsgroup: As you have probably noticed, in the past 7 days we've seen a number of emails that have gotten through the list's meager grep-based spam filters. I have been increasing the rules trying to trap more spam, but the spam grows faster than I can create rules for it. I apologize for that. The situation has simply become intolerable, so as your list moderator, I have taken steps to cut it off, and am prepared to take more steps. Consequently, there are some changes to the list moderation that h...

How to get Firefox to not permanently store invalid SSL certificates as a default?
Name: Saujanya Patel Email: sdotpatelataucklanddotacdotnz Product: Firefox Summary: How to get Firefox to not permanently store invalid SSL certificates as a default? Comments: When Firefox is presented with an invalid SSL certificate (i.e. the certificate has expired, the CA is not trusted, etc). It warns the user that certificate is invalid and forces the user to retrieve (and presumably review) the certificate. How ever by default after accepting the certificate it has a check in the box marked 'Permanently Store this Certificate'. It would be great to be able ...

dev-tech-crypto News->email gateway re-enabled
I have not seen any new spam in the mozilla.dev.tech.crypto newsgroup since May 1, and in the last week, there have been numerous on-topic messages posted to the newsgroup that have not been gatewayed to the list, so today I have re-enabled the News->email gateway between mozilla.dev.tech.crypto and the dev-tech-crypto mailing list. If the spam resumes, I will disable the gateway again, but hopefully that will not happen soon. I invite any comments you may have about the relative merits of keeping all spam out of the mailing list (which closing the news->mail gateway accompl...

Web resources about - UTF8 support in the Firefox certificate store - mozilla.dev.tech.crypto

Wildcard certificate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In addition, wildcards themselves can have subjectAltName extensions, including other wildcards. For example: The wildcard certificate *.wikipedia.org ...

Birth certificate mix-up sparks identity fraud fears
Parents of newborn children have been mailed birth certificates for other peoples' babies in a mix-up described as a major privacy breach.

Birth certificate mix-up sparks identity fraud fears
Human error has led to nine parents being sent&nbsp;birth certificates for other peoples' babies, in what has been described&nbsp;as a major ...

Doctor-assisted dying should be listed on death certificates: law professor
Provincial and territorial death certificates should indicate when a patient's life was ended with the help of a doctor, says an analysis published ...

Google considers following Mozilla, Microsoft, and dropping SHA-1 certificates early
Last month Microsoft said that it was considering ending support for TLS and SSL certificates that used the SHA-1 hashing algorithm, after Mozilla ...

Xbox Live certificate keys exposed according to Microsoft
... necessarily mean you've been hacked, but the possibility is there. In a new security bulletin the company claims that the SSL/TLS digital certificate ...

China's Use of Derivatives to Hide Capital Flight Comes Unglued; Reserves Fall by Record Amount; "Worthless" ...
... for a while, using swap derivatives. Things looked better, until December and January, when suddenly they didn't. About Those "Worthless" Certificates ...

Exclusive: Birth Certificate for Ted Cruz’s Mother
Eleanor Darragh, mother of Ted Cruz, was born in Delaware on Nov. 23, 1934, establishing her citizenshipand, later, his, though he was born in ...

MSNBC's Chris Matthews confronted Donald Trump about Obama's birth certificate after the debate
... , MSNBC host Chris Matthews confronted Donald Trump over the real-estate mogul's past questioning of President Barack Obama's birth certificate. ...

Cruz releases mother's birth certificate amid citizenship debate
The Republican presidential candidate has faced mounting questions over his eligibility to run for the White House