Problem with loading security module in firefox..

Hi
I am a new member to this group.
I am developing a firefox addon for which i am using smart card bundle
and the opensc.dll
The addon that i am creating has the opensc.dll in the components folder
of the extension and everytime the extension is installed, the security
module gets loaded into the firefox browser. This works fine during
every new installation. But when i close firefox window and try
reopening it, i can only see the place holder for the security module
but the actual module is missing, which doesn't let me use the smart card.

Can i someone help me figure out where the problem is? I was wondering
if any flag has to be set in the dll to make the loaded module
persistent. However, if i try to load the opensc.dll from C:\program
files or any other stable location, it persists and doesn't get removed.
But i don't want the module to exist when the firefox extension is
removed and hence want to load the module from the extension folder.

Hoping to receive a reply..
Thanks in advance

0
Akkshayaa
6/2/2008 10:20:29 PM
mozilla.dev.tech.crypto 2003 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Hi Akkshayaa,
The Device Manager in Mozilla PSM registers the PKCS#11 module
persistently with the browser's Module-DB.
You might want to compare your code with Mozilla PSM Device Manager code
for loading PKCS#11 module  :

http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/security/manager/pki/resources/content/device_manager.js#459

http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/security/manager/ssl/src/nsCrypto.cpp#3017

BTW, once PKCS#11 module is registered, browser will automatically load
the module every time you open the browser.
Your add-on need not load it.
--
Subrata Mazumdar

Akkshayaa Venkatram wrote:
> Hi
> I am a new member to this group.
> I am developing a firefox addon for which i am using smart card bundle
> and the opensc.dll
> The addon that i am creating has the opensc.dll in the components
> folder of the extension and everytime the extension is installed, the
> security module gets loaded into the firefox browser. This works fine
> during every new installation. But when i close firefox window and try
> reopening it, i can only see the place holder for the security module
> but the actual module is missing, which doesn't let me use the smart
> card.
>
> Can i someone help me figure out where the problem is? I was wondering
> if any flag has to be set in the dll to make the loaded module
> persistent. However, if i try to load the opensc.dll from C:\program
> files or any other stable location, it persists and doesn't get
> removed. But i don't want the module to exist when the firefox
> extension is removed and hence want to load the module from the
> extension folder.
>
> Hoping to receive a reply..
> Thanks in advance

0
Subrata
6/3/2008 5:21:26 AM
Hi Subrata,
	Thanks for responding. I checked the links you sent. I am calling the
function pkcs11.addmodule(modname, path, 0,0); for loading the module.
The path of the dllfile is the extension folder say for eg:
C:\Users\AKS\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\oiy8ehzb.default\extensions\{22e46b7c-3348-11dc-8314-0800200c9a66}\components\acospkcs11.dll

When i install the extension,restart firefox,  the module gets loaded
and i am able to use it. But if i close the browser and reopen it, i am
not able to find the module. Do you have any idea why this happens?

If the path is C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\components\acospkcs11.dll
it loads without any problem and is available persistently.

But i want the path to be the former one.
I would appreciate your help, i have been stuck on this for more than 2
months..

Thanks,
Akkshayaa

Subrata Mazumdar wrote:
> Hi Akkshayaa,
> The Device Manager in Mozilla PSM registers the PKCS#11 module
> persistently with the browser's Module-DB.
> You might want to compare your code with Mozilla PSM Device Manager code
> for loading PKCS#11 module  :
>
> http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/security/manager/pki/resources/content/device_manager.js#459
>
> http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/security/manager/ssl/src/nsCrypto.cpp#3017
>
> BTW, once PKCS#11 module is registered, browser will automatically load
> the module every time you open the browser.
> Your add-on need not load it.
> --
> Subrata Mazumdar
>
> Akkshayaa Venkatram wrote:
>> Hi
>> I am a new member to this group.
>> I am developing a firefox addon for which i am using smart card bundle
>> and the opensc.dll
>> The addon that i am creating has the opensc.dll in the components
>> folder of the extension and everytime the extension is installed, the
>> security module gets loaded into the firefox browser. This works fine
>> during every new installation. But when i close firefox window and try
>> reopening it, i can only see the place holder for the security module
>> but the actual module is missing, which doesn't let me use the smart
>> card.
>>
>> Can i someone help me figure out where the problem is? I was wondering
>> if any flag has to be set in the dll to make the loaded module
>> persistent. However, if i try to load the opensc.dll from C:\program
>> files or any other stable location, it persists and doesn't get
>> removed. But i don't want the module to exist when the firefox
>> extension is removed and hence want to load the module from the
>> extension folder.
>>
>> Hoping to receive a reply..
>> Thanks in advance

Akkshayaa
6/6/2008 12:37:03 AM
Hi Akkshayaa,
I have  a suggestion - it may may or may not work.
Try to put the PKCS#11 DLL in a directory that is not name 'components'.
The 'components' directory is for add-on related files.
Browser will automatically  load any DLL in that directory. My guess is
that the DLL is loaded  before the security device module is initialized.

--
Subrata

Akkshayaa Venkatram wrote:

> Hi Subrata,
>     Thanks for responding. I checked the links you sent. I am calling
> the function pkcs11.addmodule(modname, path, 0,0); for loading the
> module.
> The path of the dllfile is the extension folder say for eg:
> C:\Users\AKS\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\oiy8ehzb.default\extensions\{22e46b7c-3348-11dc-8314-0800200c9a66}\components\acospkcs11.dll
>

> When i install the extension,restart firefox,  the module gets loaded
> and i am able to use it. But if i close the browser and reopen it, i
> am not able to find the module. Do you have any idea why this happens?
>
> If the path is C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\components\acospkcs11.dll
> it loads without any problem and is available persistently.
>
> But i want the path to be the former one.
> I would appreciate your help, i have been stuck on this for more than
> 2 months..
>
> Thanks,
> Akkshayaa
>
> Subrata Mazumdar wrote:
>> Hi Akkshayaa,
>> The Device Manager in Mozilla PSM registers the PKCS#11 module
>> persistently with the browser's Module-DB.
>> You might want to compare your code with Mozilla PSM Device Manager
>> code for loading PKCS#11 module  :
>>
>> http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/security/manager/pki/resources/content/device_manager.js#459
>>

>> http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/security/manager/ssl/src/nsCrypto.cpp#3017
>>
>> BTW, once PKCS#11 module is registered, browser will automatically
>> load the module every time you open the browser.
>> Your add-on need not load it.
>> --
>> Subrata Mazumdar
>>
>> Akkshayaa Venkatram wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> I am a new member to this group.
>>> I am developing a firefox addon for which i am using smart card
>>> bundle and the opensc.dll
>>> The addon that i am creating has the opensc.dll in the components
>>> folder of the extension and everytime the extension is installed,
>>> the security module gets loaded into the firefox browser. This works
>>> fine during every new installation. But when i close firefox window
>>> and try reopening it, i can only see the place holder for the
>>> security module but the actual module is missing, which doesn't let
>>> me use the smart card.
>>>
>>> Can i someone help me figure out where the problem is? I was
>>> wondering if any flag has to be set in the dll to make the loaded
>>> module persistent. However, if i try to load the opensc.dll from
>>> C:\program files or any other stable location, it persists and
>>> doesn't get removed. But i don't want the module to exist when the
>>> firefox extension is removed and hence want to load the module from
>>> the extension folder.
>>>
>>> Hoping to receive a reply..
>>> Thanks in advance

Subrata
6/7/2008 4:57:33 AM
Hi Subrata,
	You are right!! It works now..
	phewww!!! I was struggling with this for more than 2 months..
	I am very glad it works now. Thank you very much for the
	patience and guidance.. My professor will also be very happy.
	So finally, i can proceed further on the project.

Thanks
Akkshayaa

Akkshayaa