Unrevoked/unexpired certificate with Debian Weak Key

Hi,

Yesterday was the 10y anniversary of the Debian OpenSSL random number
generator bug.

A few days ago I did a re-check of the CT logs for vulnerable keys.

I found one unexpired, unrevoked certificate issued by a CA called
"QuoVadis". I reported it and it's been revoked, they told me they'll
check their systems why this certificate issuance wasn't blocked.

https://crt.sh/?id=3D308235142

I also found an unrevoked Wosign cert that I had already reported last
year. The abuse contact of wosign bounces mails.

(My check was semi-thorough, I didn't have access to all the possible
key combinations that could be generated with the Debian bug. There may
be more certs in the logs.)

--=20
Hanno B=C3=B6ck
https://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: hanno@hboeck.de
GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42
0
Hanno
5/14/2018 8:42:45 AM
mozilla.dev.security.policy 1314 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

On 14/05/2018 10:42, Hanno Böck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday was the 10y anniversary of the Debian OpenSSL random number
> generator bug.
>
> A few days ago I did a re-check of the CT logs for vulnerable keys.
>
> I found one unexpired, unrevoked certificate issued by a CA called
> "QuoVadis". I reported it and it's been revoked, they told me they'll
> check their systems why this certificate issuance wasn't blocked.
>
> https://crt.sh/?id=308235142
>
> I also found an unrevoked Wosign cert that I had already reported last
> year. The abuse contact of wosign bounces mails.
>
> (My check was semi-thorough, I didn't have access to all the possible
> key combinations that could be generated with the Debian bug. There may
> be more certs in the logs.)

You could try the openssl-blacklist package distributed by Debian in
both source and prepackaged form.  If you use the packaged form, be sure
to include the openssl-blacklist-extra package which contains the lists
of RSA-4096 and RSA-512 keys.

Their included checking program (in the .diff file) is in Python.

Enjoy

Jakob
Jakob
5/14/2018 10:39:27 AM
On 14/05/18 11:39, Jakob Bohm via dev-security-policy wrote:
> On 14/05/2018 10:42, Hanno Böck wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yesterday was the 10y anniversary of the Debian OpenSSL random number
>> generator bug.
>>
>> A few days ago I did a re-check of the CT logs for vulnerable keys.
>>
>> I found one unexpired, unrevoked certificate issued by a CA called
>> "QuoVadis". I reported it and it's been revoked, they told me they'll
>> check their systems why this certificate issuance wasn't blocked.
>>
>> https://crt.sh/?id=308235142
>>
>> I also found an unrevoked Wosign cert that I had already reported last
>> year. The abuse contact of wosign bounces mails.
>>
>> (My check was semi-thorough, I didn't have access to all the possible
>> key combinations that could be generated with the Debian bug. There may
>> be more certs in the logs.)
>>

> You could try the openssl-blacklist package distributed by Debian in
> both source and prepackaged form.  If you use the packaged form, be sure
> to include the openssl-blacklist-extra package which contains the lists
> of RSA-4096 and RSA-512 keys.
>
> Their included checking program (in the .diff file) is in Python.

Today I've added a Debian weak key check feature to crt.sh.  I augmented
Debian's original blacklists with some other blacklists I generated
~10yrs ago for a few less common key sizes [1].

I'm currently running the check against all of the certs on the crt.sh
DB.  I'll report back once this has completed.

[1] https://secure.comodo.com/debian_weak_keys/

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist