SSL Security on the SeaMonkey 1.0.x and Firefox 1.0.x and 1.5.x

Sir:

You really need to know that SSL 2 has been broken for most uses.  In
your Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> SSL tab look to see if
SSL 2 is enabled and disable it.  Then look at the EDIT CIPHERS for SSL
3 and TSL and uncheck all the 40-bit and 56-bit cyphers.  This includes
the extra Ciphers tab.  This change has already been done for the trunk,
but you need to manually make the change in your current browser.  Only
re-enable SSL 2 if your bank requires it, but I'd be complaining to them.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!

HI William

Thanks for that, I was going to post a note regarding  not being
able to log into yahoo, but can now using your suggestion, I can with
mozilla 1.7, sea monkey as well as the beta Firefox (bon echo..) with
ssl 3 enabled)

regards

Adrian

L. Hartzell wrote:
> Sir:
>
> You really need to know that SSL 2 has been broken for most uses.  In
> your Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> SSL tab look to see if
> SSL 2 is enabled and disable it.  Then look at the EDIT CIPHERS for SSL
> 3 and TSL and uncheck all the 40-bit and 56-bit cyphers.  This includes
> the extra Ciphers tab.  This change has already been done for the trunk,
> but you need to manually make the change in your current browser.  Only
> re-enable SSL 2 if your bank requires it, but I'd be complaining to them.

0
adrian
6/14/2006 5:30:31 PM
sorry meant to say the problem was with firefox 1.5.0.4
adrian suri wrote:
> HI William
>
> Thanks for that, I was going to post a note regarding  not being
> able to log into yahoo, but can now using your suggestion, I can with
> mozilla 1.7, sea monkey as well as the beta Firefox (bon echo..) with
> ssl 3 enabled)
>
> regards
>
> Adrian
>

> L. Hartzell wrote:
>> Sir:
>>
>> You really need to know that SSL 2 has been broken for most uses.  In
>> your Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> SSL tab look to see
>> if SSL 2 is enabled and disable it.  Then look at the EDIT CIPHERS for
>> SSL 3 and TSL and uncheck all the 40-bit and 56-bit cyphers.  This
>> includes the extra Ciphers tab.  This change has already been done for
>> the trunk, but you need to manually make the change in your current
>> browser.  Only re-enable SSL 2 if your bank requires it, but I'd be
>> complaining to them.

0
adrian
6/14/2006 6:46:15 PM
Sir:

adrian suri wrote:
> sorry meant to say the problem was with firefox 1.5.0.4
> adrian suri wrote:
>> HI William
>>
>> Thanks for that, I was going to post a note regarding  not being
>> able to log into yahoo, but can now using your suggestion, I can with
>> mozilla 1.7, sea monkey as well as the beta Firefox (bon echo..) with
>> ssl 3 enabled)
><snip>

It is possible that you had another problem.  When I said broke, I meant
that hackers (and other bad guys--you name the government) have broken
the cypher(s) and can read the contents of your message if they
intercept it (what is the NSA program that does this, carnivore?).  Even
still, the several remaining algorithms use SHA 1 as digest and
signature block.  It is not any longer secure, but the powers to be have
not authorized SHA 256 as a replacement yet.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!
"SSL Security on the SeaMonkey 1.0.x and Firefox 1.0.x and 1.5.x"

> You really need to know that SSL 2 has been broken for most uses.  In
> your Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> SSL tab look to see
> if SSL 2 is enabled and disable it.  Then look at the EDIT CIPHERS
> for SSL 3 and TSL and uncheck all the 40-bit and 56-bit cyphers.
> This includes the extra Ciphers tab.  This change has already been
> done for the trunk, but you need to manually make the change in your
> current browser.  Only re-enable SSL 2 if your bank requires it, but
> I'd be complaining to them.
                                 -oOo-

In this version of Tb 1.5.0.2, I have disabled SSL2 via 'Options', but
there is no tab or item called "Edit Ciphers", so I must rely on the
extension "Tab Preferential".  Therefore, with my meagre knowledge of
security, I presume that preferences under "security.ssl3." containing
"rc2_40", "rc4_40" & "rc4_56" must be disabled regardless of the prefix,
such as "rsa_" or "rsa_1024_".  Is this presumption correct?

I do not see any similar entry for TLS, i.e. "security.tls". although
"security.enable_tls" is set to "true".  How does one disable the 40 &
56-bit cyphers for TLS -- another extension?

Perhaps a switch to Seamonkey is advisable, just for the ease of setting
these preferences if nothing else.

--
Chimo,
       Kenn

  Always act as if life is a joyous journey. - K.A. Yuill
Kenn
6/14/2006 8:51:10 PM
Sir:

Kenn Yuill wrote:
> On 10/06/06 at 00:16, William L. Hartzell wrote about the subject of
> "SSL Security on the SeaMonkey 1.0.x and Firefox 1.0.x and 1.5.x"
>>
>> You really need to know that SSL 2 has been broken for most uses.  In
>> your Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> SSL tab look to see
>> if SSL 2 is enabled and disable it.  Then look at the EDIT CIPHERS
>> for SSL 3 and TSL and uncheck all the 40-bit and 56-bit cyphers.
>> This includes the extra Ciphers tab.  This change has already been
>> done for the trunk, but you need to manually make the change in your
>> current browser.  Only re-enable SSL 2 if your bank requires it, but
>> I'd be complaining to them.
>                                 -oOo-
>
> In this version of Tb 1.5.0.2, I have disabled SSL2 via 'Options', but
> there is no tab or item called "Edit Ciphers", so I must rely on the
> extension "Tab Preferential".  Therefore, with my meagre knowledge of
> security, I presume that preferences under "security.ssl3." containing
> "rc2_40", "rc4_40" & "rc4_56" must be disabled regardless of the prefix,
> such as "rsa_" or "rsa_1024_".  Is this presumption correct?
>
> I do not see any similar entry for TLS, i.e. "security.tls". although
> "security.enable_tls" is set to "true".  How does one disable the 40 &
> 56-bit cyphers for TLS -- another extension?
>
> Perhaps a switch to Seamonkey is advisable, just for the ease of setting
> these preferences if nothing else.

I am not a Thunderbird or Firefox user, thus don't know the layout of
those applications.  I presume that the about:config url would allow you
to edit these preferences in Firefox.  When I look in my about:config,
sorted on SSL, these SSL 3 cyphers have been set to false as a result of
my deselecting the short key cyphers: security.ssl3.dhe_dss_des_sha,
security.ssl3.rsa_1024_rc4_56_sha, security.ssl3.rsa_1024_des_cbc_sha,
security.ssl3.rsa_1024_rc4_56_sha, security.ssl3.rsa_rc4_40_md5.  I am
over paranoid about this and may deselected these unnecessarily.

I also had deselected these short key cyphers in SSL2, before I just
disable the whole level: security.ssl2.des_64, security.ssl2.rc2_40,
security.ssl2.rc4_40, security.ssl2.rc4_40, security.ssl2.rc2_40,
security.ssl2.des_64.

There are no entries per cypher for TLS.  There should be.  Peter?
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!
"SSL Security on the SeaMonkey 1.0.x and Firefox 1.0.x and 1.5.x"

> Kenn Yuill wrote:
>> On 10/06/06 at 00:16, William L. Hartzell wrote about the subject
>> of "SSL Security on the SeaMonkey 1.0.x and Firefox 1.0.x and
>> 1.5.x"
>>>
>>> You really need to know that SSL 2 has been broken for most uses.
>>> In your Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> SSL tab look
>>> to see if SSL 2 is enabled and disable it.  Then look at the EDIT
>>> CIPHERS for SSL 3 and TSL and uncheck all the 40-bit and 56-bit
>>> cyphers. This includes the extra Ciphers tab.  This change has
>>> already been done for the trunk, but you need to manually make
>>> the change in your current browser.  Only re-enable SSL 2 if your
>>> bank requires it, but I'd be complaining to them.
>> 			-oOo-
>>
>> In this version of Tb 1.5.0.2, I have disabled SSL2 via 'Options',
>> but there is no tab or item called "Edit Ciphers", so I must rely
>> on the extension "Tab Preferential".  Therefore, with my meagre
>> knowledge of security, I presume that preferences under
>> "security.ssl3." containing "rc2_40", "rc4_40" & "rc4_56" must be
>> disabled regardless of the prefix, such as "rsa_" or "rsa_1024_".
>> Is this presumption correct?

The actual name of this extension is "Preferential", which gives an
"Advanced Preferences" entry under "Options".

>> I do not see any similar entry for TLS, i.e. "security.tls".
>> although "security.enable_tls" is set to "true".  How does one
>> disable the 40 & 56-bit cyphers for TLS -- another extension?
>>
>> Perhaps a switch to Seamonkey is advisable, just for the ease of
>> setting these preferences if nothing else.
>>

> I am not a Thunderbird or Firefox user, thus don't know the layout of
> those applications.  I presume that the about:config url would allow
> you to edit these preferences in Firefox.  When I look in my
> about:config, sorted on SSL, these SSL 3 cyphers have been set to
> false as a result of my deselecting the short key cyphers:
> security.ssl3.dhe_dss_des_sha, security.ssl3.rsa_1024_rc4_56_sha,
> security.ssl3.rsa_1024_des_cbc_sha,
> security.ssl3.rsa_1024_rc4_56_sha, security.ssl3.rsa_rc4_40_md5.  I
> am over paranoid about this and may deselected these unnecessarily.

Thanks William, I missed the 1st & 3rd ones in your list, not being
familiar with all of the acronyms involved.  IMHO, it is better to be
proactive in this area.  Should 'security.ssl3.dhe_dss_des_ede3_sha' be
disabled as well?

> I also had deselected these short key cyphers in SSL2, before I just
> disable the whole level: security.ssl2.des_64, security.ssl2.rc2_40,
> security.ssl2.rc4_40, security.ssl2.rc4_40, security.ssl2.rc2_40,
> security.ssl2.des_64.

Got all of these cyphers in Ff & Tb.

> There are no entries per cypher for TLS.  There should be.  Peter?

                                 -oOo-

As time allows, I will dig around mozilla.org to find out more about TLS
wrt Firefox & Thunderbird.

--
Chimo,
       Kenn

  Always act as if life is a joyous journey. - K.A. Yuill
Kenn
6/16/2006 4:43:05 PM
Sir:

Kenn Yuill wrote:

> On 15/06/06 at 08:17, William L. Hartzell wrote about the subject of
> "SSL Security on the SeaMonkey 1.0.x and Firefox 1.0.x and 1.5.x"
>
>> Kenn Yuill wrote:
>>> On 10/06/06 at 00:16, William L. Hartzell wrote about the subject
>>> of "SSL Security on the SeaMonkey 1.0.x and Firefox 1.0.x and
>>> 1.5.x"

>>>             -oOo-
>>>
>>> In this version of Tb 1.5.0.2, I have disabled SSL2 via 'Options',
>>> but there is no tab or item called "Edit Ciphers", so I must rely
>>> on the extension "Tab Preferential".  Therefore, with my meagre
>>> knowledge of security, I presume that preferences under
>>> "security.ssl3." containing "rc2_40", "rc4_40" & "rc4_56" must be
>>> disabled regardless of the prefix, such as "rsa_" or "rsa_1024_".
>>> Is this presumption correct?
>
> The actual name of this extension is "Preferential", which gives an
> "Advanced Preferences" entry under "Options".
>
>>> I do not see any similar entry for TLS, i.e. "security.tls".
>>> although "security.enable_tls" is set to "true".  How does one
>>> disable the 40 & 56-bit cyphers for TLS -- another extension?
>>>
>>> Perhaps a switch to Seamonkey is advisable, just for the ease of
>>> setting these preferences if nothing else.
>>>

>> I am not a Thunderbird or Firefox user, thus don't know the layout of
>> those applications.  I presume that the about:config url would allow
>> you to edit these preferences in Firefox.  When I look in my
>> about:config, sorted on SSL, these SSL 3 cyphers have been set to
>> false as a result of my deselecting the short key cyphers:
>> security.ssl3.dhe_dss_des_sha, security.ssl3.rsa_1024_rc4_56_sha,
>> security.ssl3.rsa_1024_des_cbc_sha,
>> security.ssl3.rsa_1024_rc4_56_sha, security.ssl3.rsa_rc4_40_md5.  I
>> am over paranoid about this and may deselected these unnecessarily.
>
> Thanks William, I missed the 1st & 3rd ones in your list, not being
> familiar with all of the acronyms involved.  IMHO, it is better to be
> proactive in this area.  Should 'security.ssl3.dhe_dss_des_ede3_sha' be
> disabled as well?

This last is DES3, which is using DES to crypt with key A, decrypt with
key B, and crypt with key C (ede3)1.  I don't know.  Many banks are
using it, those that not adopted AES based algorithms, yet.
>> I also had deselected these short key cyphers in SSL2, before I just
>> disable the whole level: security.ssl2.des_64, security.ssl2.rc2_40,
>> security.ssl2.rc4_40, security.ssl2.rc4_40, security.ssl2.rc2_40,
>> security.ssl2.des_64.
>
> Got all of these cyphers in Ff & Tb.
>
>> There are no entries per cypher for TLS.  There should be.  Peter?
>
>                                 -oOo-
>
> As time allows, I will dig around mozilla.org to find out more about TLS
> wrt Firefox & Thunderbird.

TLS is the IETF replacement for OpenSSL.  Think the RFC moves the whole
SSL business into the transport layer.  I'll be looking this up some
time next two weeks.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!

espn.com crashes Firefox 1.0.x and 1.5.x on OS X
Name: Thad Email: buzolich_at_gmail.com Product: Firefox Summary: espn.com crashes Firefox 1.0.x and 1.5.x on OS X Comments: Going to espn.com causes my processor to spike. It's been happening for a few weeks and eventually (right away, sometimes a few minutes) firefox will crash. OS X 10.3.9 This doesn't happen on my winxp laptop with firefox. Thanks. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050908 Firefox/1.4 ...

enigmail-1.0.1 for TB-3.0.x and enigmail-1.1.2 for TB-3.1.x available
Hi, enigmail-1.0.1 (TB-3.0.x) and enigmail-1.1.2 (TB-3.1.x) are available at http://enigmail.mozdev.org. Note for Seamonkey-2.0.x you can download and install enigmail-1.0.1. Have fun, Walter ...

Firefox 1.5.x.x to 2.0.x.x
Name: David Kalish Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 1.5.x.x to 2.0.x.x Comments: I had Firefox 1.5 and I knew that 2.0 was out. I went to Help > Check for Updates, and it indicates that there was no newer version available. I think this will cause some confusion, and may result in people not installing 2.0 If 1.5 can't be updated to 2.0, I suggest at least adding a link to the main download page. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1 ...

SeaMonkey 1.1.x/Firefox 2.0.0.x/et al. Xrender version dependency
I'm not sure where to post this (the old .unix group is gone). If these are the wrong groups, I apologize. I'm having problems building SeaMonkey 1.1.1 on Solaris 9. (I'm sure the same error will strike me when trying to build Firefox 2.0.0.3 or Thunderbird 2.0beta2.) First I had to give up using Forte 6 Update 2 due to Template support issues. I've installed Sun Studio 11 to deal with that, and have gotten much further. The problem now is that there is code in the 1.8 branches that now introduces an Xrender version dependency on UNIX/Linux platforms. Spe...

Page Navigation Bug with SM 1.0.x and 1.1.x? Working with Firefox 2, Konquerer 3.5 and IE6
Hi all, I seem to having been hit a bug in SeaMonkey which exhibit itself when visiting the following Knowledgebase web page at ZyXEL: http://www.zyxel.com/web/support_knowledgebase_list.php?pid=20070115144001 If you visit that page, or any other of their Knowledgebase pages, you will be presented with a list of articles. Whenever the list is longer as to fit in one page, you are given navigation controls that allow you to proceed to to the next # of items e.g. by selecting 2, 3, Next or Last. Unfortunately these navigation controls don't seem to work when visiting these ...

Firefox 1.5.0.9, Firefox 2.0.0.1 and Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 Security & Stability Updates
As part of Mozilla Corporation�s ongoing stability and security update process, Firefox 1.5.0.9, Firefox 2.0.0.1 and Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 are now available for Windows, Mac, and Linux for free download from getfirefox.com (http://www.getfirefox.com) & getthunderbird.com (http://www.getthunderbird.com). We strongly recommend that all Firefox users upgrade to this latest release. This update is available immediately in 41 languages including Spanish, Japanese, Arabic, Hungarian and more. Note: Firefox 1.5.0.x will be maintained with security and stability updates until Apr...

Firefox 1.5.0.9, Firefox 2.0.0.1 and Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 Security & Stability Updates
As part of Mozilla Corporation�s ongoing stability and security update process, Firefox 1.5.0.9, Firefox 2.0.0.1 and Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 are now available for Windows, Mac, and Linux for free download from getfirefox.com (http://www.getfirefox.com) & getthunderbird.com (http://www.getthunderbird.com). We strongly recommend that all Firefox users upgrade to this latest release. This update is available immediately in 41 languages including Spanish, Japanese, Arabic, Hungarian and more. Note: Firefox 1.5.0.x will be maintained with security and stability updates until Apr...

Window/Tab Selection with Firefox 2.0.0.x Compared with 1.5.0.x
Name: Lawrence Savlov Email: lawrence_savlovatyahoodotca Product: Firefox Summary: Window/Tab Selection with Firefox 2.0.0.x Compared with 1.5.0.x Comments: Firefox 1.5 "tabs" options allowed the following selections: A) Open links from other applications in: the most recent tab/window. B) Force links that open new windows to open in: the same tab/window as the link. I like those options. How can I get them with Firefox 2.0.0.7 ? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.7) Gecko/20070914 Firefox/2.0.0.7 ...

Enigmail-1.0.1 for OS/2 TB-3.0.x and SM-2.0.x available at enigmail.mozdev.org
I'm glad to announce that after a while, where some smaller quirks had to be ironed out, enigmail-1.0.1 can be downloaded from enigmail.mozdev.org. Thanks to the developers for the upload to their site. Enigmail-1.0.1 works only with Thunderbird-3.0.x and Seamonkey-2.0.x. If you still use TB-2.0.0.x or SM-1.1.x you should stick to enigmail-0.95.7. In case of trouble please post to this list here. Have Fun, Walter ...

Major update 1.5.0.x --> 2.0.0.x inactive?
Hi guys, there are some reports in the German mozilla mailnews newsgroup (de.comm.software.mozilla.mailnews) that a major update from TB 1.5.0.x to a recent TB 2.0.0.x release is not possible. I just verified this with TB 1.5.0.14. I found an old post in mozilla.announce from August 2007 announcing that a major update (1.5.0.12 -> 2.0.0.6) will be pushed to users on the beta channel, but I couldn't find an announcement for users on the release channel. If this turns out to be true, this is a serious issue as we are leaving people out in the open unprotected. Simon -- ...

Differences between 1.0.x and 1.1
The release notes are always nice and succinct at listing what's new in a new major release, but don't really provide a complete list of user-end differences. I don't really have the time to create an in-depth list of differences, like I did with <http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/#SeaMonkeyvsMozilla17>. I'd like this thread to be for people to list all the differences they've found between SeaMonkey 1.0.x and 1.1. I'll post the list on seamonkey.ilias.ca, and include a link to this thread. -- Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca> List-owner: support-firefo...

SeaMonkey 1.0.1 and Firefox 1.5, 2.0, 3.0 version can be said to be a same at code level
Dear, I am pursuing my research in the field of sotware maintainence at preventive level. i had published some of my research paper in ACM SIGSOFT SEN. As per my research i designed the metrics model for smelly classes with the help of firefox three versions and then i had validated or tested the metrics model with the one version of SeaMonkey. I got the review upon my research that SeaMonkey and Firefox are same at the code level. These cannot be treated as two different data set. But what i had read is they both only usage the same Gecko engine from your website. Some more from yo...

Firefox 1.0.8 Released and End-of-Life for 1.0.x
We're announcing the general availability of Firefox 1.0.8 as the final update to the 1.0.x product line. Please see the release announcement for further details: http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2006/04/13/firefox-108-security-and-stability-release-and-end-of-life-for-10x/ --- cbeard@mozilla.com On 14.04.2006 00:16, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused christopher.beard@gmail.com to generate the following:? : >We're announcing the general availability of Firefox 1.0.8 as the final >update to the 1.0.x product line. > >Please see the r...

superreview cancelled: [Bug 335028] Firefox 1.5.0.2 Linux topcrash [@ IM_get_input_context] : [Attachment 219454] Patch rv1.1 for 1.8.x
Robert O'Callahan (Novell) <roc@ocallahan.org> has cancelled superreview: Bug 335028: Firefox 1.5.0.2 Linux topcrash [@ IM_get_input_context] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=335028 Attachment 219454: Patch rv1.1 for 1.8.x https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=219454&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Robert O'Callahan (Novell) <roc@ocallahan.org> Actually, let's wait until we can verify that this fixes the real issue. Do we know anyone who can reproduce the crash here? ...

Web resources about - SSL Security on the SeaMonkey 1.0.x and Firefox 1.0.x and 1.5.x - mozilla.dev.ports.os2

The Hawaiian Seamonkey
Diving, eating, gardening, loving the Big Island of Hawaii

The SeaMonkey® Project
The SeaMonkey project is a community effort to develop the SeaMonkeyall-in-one internet application suite (see below).Such a software suite was ...

SeaMonkey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
cross-platform Internet suite . It is the continuation of the former Mozilla Application Suite , based on the same source code. Core Mozilla ...

Review: SeaMonkey 1.1.8 for the Mac
SeaMonkey 1.1.8, the Mozilla Foundation's all-in-one Internet application, combines browsing, e-mail, HTML editing, and IRC chat.

SeaMonkey 2.3 Beta 1 arrives for testing
Based on the same Gecko browser engine as Firefox 6, SeaMonkey 2.3 Beta 1 has been released for testing. It offers improvements to WebGL that ...

SeaMonkey Offers Browser, E-Mail, and Chat
... resuscitated a group of Internet tools built by Netscapewhose spin-off, Mozilla, brought out the popular Firefox Web browser. Renamed SeaMonkey ...

SeaMonkey, Mozilla's all-in-one Internet suite, releases new beta
The SeaMonkey Project has released SeaMonkey 2.1 Beta 3 , a version that makes a lot of new functionality available to a wide audience for the ...

SeaMonkey review
Browse the web, work with mail, chat in IRC and edit HTML

SeaMonkey 2.33
... advanced e-mail, newsgroup and feed client, IRC chat, and HTML editing made simple, all your Internet needs in one application. The SeaMonkey ...

Seamonkey 1.1 Released
stuuf writes "Version 1.1 of the Seamonkey Internet Application Suite is now available, with quite a few improvements over the 1.0 series. Some ...