Monitoring software being installed on performance test machines

--425Rl06E0qFj6mmMT9W9cKhRFp5Vosime

tl:dr: We recently installed system monitoring software on our buildbot
masters, build-not-test slaves, and various other RelEng machines. IT
want to continue this rollout, deploying monitoring software onto RelEng
production test machines, which raises a concern about possible impact
to performance numbers. If you see any production impact, please let us
know.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

We are being asked by IT to deploy monitoring tools onto all build,
unittest and performance testing machines. These are to help gather
system level statistics about CPU, memory, disk utilization, etc. This
is so IT can monitor efficiency of production jobs run on these systems.

This monitoring software has already been installed on buildbot masters,
linux+mac builders, and some misc other servers. As those changes were
zero-risk to production, we didn't need to forewarn these newsgroups.
However, installing this software on production win32/64 builders and
win/mac/linux performance testers has a small-but-non-zero risk that the
act of running these tools will change the timing results in performance
test jobs. Hence this advance notice.

Exact timing of this rollout is waiting on some unrelated win64
toolchain builder fixes to finish being deployed into production. We all
agreed that adding these monitoring tools *at the same time* as doing
windows toolchain upgrade, would unnecessarily complicate problem detecti=
on.

Once everything is ready for final deploy, another post will be sent to
newsgroup (and sheriffs), to help with any possible after-the-fact
regression range hunting. If there are any performance result wobble
because of these changes, I've been told we can tolerate minor
performance result disruption for a week or so, without impacting
releases. Currently, this experiment is slated to run for 2 weeks, but
obviously, if this monitoring introduces larger disruption, we will
disable them asap. Sheriffs and RelEng buildduty will be monitoring
closely, but as always, if you see anything weird, please make sure they
know asap.

No downtime is required, as our systems will pick up these changes
between test runs as machines reboot.

The curious can follow along in bug#920626 (deploy collectd to RelEng
mac+linux test systems) and bug#920629 (deploy graphite client to RelEng
Windows build and test systems).

If you've any questions, or concerns, please let me know.
John.

--425Rl06E0qFj6mmMT9W9cKhRFp5Vosime

--425Rl06E0qFj6mmMT9W9cKhRFp5Vosime--
0
John
10/17/2013 4:00:44 PM
mozilla.dev.platform 6621 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Login control 'Remember me next time' work on dev machine, on test machine, fails on live machine. What gives?
I'm using the asp.net membership and the login control remember me function works on my local machine while I'm testing, it works on the test machine that I publish to, but it absolutely will not work on the live machine.  At all.  Not working. I've done some initial research.  Suggestions about a <machineKey not in the machine.config file on the server did not solve my problem.  Changing the web.config to So now what?   EDIT:  It figures I would find out the reason after I made a post.  The default document in IIS was set to login.aspx ...

Basic Install/virt-install to test out changes, it can be done from the source directory: ./virt-manager To install the software into /usr/local (usually), you can do: python setup.py insta
Basic Install ============= For starters, if you just want to run virt-manager/virt-install to test out changes, it can be done from the source directory: ./virt-manager To install the software into /usr/local (usually), you can do: python setup.py install To build an RPM, you can run: python setup.py rpm setup.py generally has all the build and install commands, for more info see: python setup.py --help-commands python setup.py install --help http://docs.python.org/inst/standard-install.html -- Vink ...

test test test test test test
test test test test test test test test test test test ...

TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST
from forums 11:55 AM PST 02/12/2008 ...

performance testing with Test::
--0016e64c1e8ea2b2ec04716f2353 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I was pondering a perl-core todo-item =head2 A decent benchmark C<perlbench> seems impervious to any recent changes made to the perl core. It would be useful to have a reasonable general benchmarking suite that roughly represented what current perl programs do, and measurably reported whether tweaks to the core improve, degrade or don't really affect performance, to guide people attempting to optimise the guts of perl. Gisle would welcome new tests for perlbench...

Is dev-platform for platform users or platform developers?
So since dev-tech-xpcom closed, there's been an awful lot of traffic on dev-platform from platform users. I don't really have time to read this, and it probably means I'll be paying less attention to the platform developer traffic on dev-platform (if any at all; I'd long since unsubscribed to dev-tech-xpcom until told to resubscribe to follow the XPCOM memory management discussion). Does this discussion belong on dev-platform, or should it be redirected elsewhere? -David -- L. David Baron http://dbaron.org/ Mozilla Corporation ...

install software on remote machine
 i have a application developed by .net . i want install remote (or) target machine from my pc .if any free tool available or any coding available Look at MSDeploy, at www.iis.net.  JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

Software installation monitoring utilities
Can anyone recommend a good software installation tracking utility that can report changes as well as provide hassle-free rollback to prior snapshots? Ideally it would detect raw disc writes as well... Dave Dave <dave@nospam.com> wrote: > Can anyone recommend a good software installation tracking utility that > can report changes as well as provide hassle-free rollback to prior > snapshots? Ideally it would detect raw disc writes as well... > > Dave Raw disk writes? Don't know about that one. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,9882,00.asp ht...

PC Performance Testing Software
I just bought a new T3400 workstation from Dell and added a new e-GeForce 8600 GTS 512MB DDR3 PCI-e video card. Currently, there is 2 GB of RAM at 800 MHz DDR2 & the CPU is an Intel Core 2 quad processor running at 2.4 GHz,1066MHz FSB, with 4 MB of L2 cache for each core. (Q6600) I haven't added a new WD SATA Raptor 10,000 rpm HDD yet, but I'm getting a current overall performance rating of 1165 using software from PassMark at: http://www.passmark.com/ Any opinions on this company's pc performance software? Any other recommendations for other performance testing ...

Load testing and performance monitoring
I have an ASP.NET application that has reasonable performance on my development machine using a VPN connection to access a SQL database. There are approximately 10 users on a LAN that experience poor performance. How can I run a load test and monitor performance on my development machine to use to compare with a similar sample of performance monitoring on the LAN? I haven't done a load test or performance monitoring on an ASP.NET application before and don't have the money to purchase other tools. Also, any good technical articles would be helpful. Thanks.DanDan Slaby, MBA, MCSD...

test test test test
what is the deal with these bizarre "test updates"? i did a couple, but they just keep coming. On Feb 20, 7:08=A0pm, inspector.arc...@gmail.com wrote: > what is the deal with these bizarre "test updates"? i did a couple, > but they just keep coming. what? my email is accessible?! what the hell are you thinking? please delete these posts and remove my email address from public access. unbelievable! ...

Performance Test Reference Platforms
Hello, We need to have performance test reference platforms, like we do for build platforms (see http://wiki.mozilla.org/ReferencePlatforms). Right now we have one standalone Fedora Linux test box (bl-bldlnx01) and one standalone Windows XP test box (bl-bldxp01), the Linux box is pretty vanilla while the Windows box has several third-party utilities (mostly installed through Cygwin). I am going to be working on that later this week, starting with a Windows XP reference platform. If anyone has any comments please let me know. I am going to try to stick to the same version of tool...

Web resources about - Monitoring software being installed on performance test machines - mozilla.dev.platform

Microsoft charms ‘old friends’ at 5th Ave Apple Store with ‘Peace on Earth’ performance
While Apple’s Christmas ad brought Stevie Wonder and Andra Day together this year for a warm performance of ‘Someday at Christmas’, Microsoft ...

Master & Dynamic MW60 wireless headphones offer style and performance
Priced at £419 (€579/$549), there's no denying that Master & Dynamic's wireless MW60 headphones are expensive—but boy do they look it. Cast out ...

TeamViewer 11 comes with the promise of better network performance, redesigns toolbar
... Linux and Mac computers. The new release, also available as a portable build for Windows users, launches with an emphasis on better performance ...

Average performance of S&P 500 before and after market peaks - Business Insider Deutschland
Stocks usually go up. They go down sometimes, too. But then they also go back up.

Restaurant Performance Index indicates faster expansion in October
Here is a minor indicator I follow from the National Restaurant Association: Restaurant Performance Index Rose in October Driven by stronger ...

Daisy Ridley: On my first day, JJ Abrams said ‘my performance was wooden’
... was petrified. I thought I was gonna have a panic attack on the first day. JJ [Abrams] … he probably doesn’t remember telling me that my performance ...

Study: Airlines Padded Flight Schedules To Improve On-Time Performance Stats
... and packages to their destination safely and on time,” the spokesperson said. Are airlines padding flight times to improve on-time performance? ...

‘Steve Jobs’ Composer Daniel Pemberton: Video Of ‘Circle Of Machines’ Performance
One of the tracks Daniel Pemberton composed for awards contender Steve Jobs is ‘Circus of Machines’. The operatic piece that was performed last ...

A patch for Just Cause 3's performance problems is in the works
Just Cause 3 launched this week, and blimey has it been a bit of a mess. Patrick’s review of it was positive , saying it “provides some of the ...