Large increase in size of libxul

This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format.

--------------ms000004090605060707040406

Hey everyone,

It has recently come to my attention that the size of libxul has grown=20
quite a bit from 3.6 to 4.0.  I don't recall us doing anything specific=20
to cause this size jump, and I figure we probably want to make sure that =

this increase is OK (or at the very least we understand it).  On OS X,=20
we've gone from 33,496,580 bytes to 93,691,984 bytes (180% increase).=20
On Windows, we've gone from 11,775,448 bytes to 14,036,992 bytes (19%=20
increase).  On Linux, we've gone from 22034280 bytes to 25459976 bytes=20
(16% increase).

Clearly, OS X is the worst offender here, but all platforms seem to have =

increased.  Given that the size of our binary impacts startup time, is=20
this acceptable?

Cheers,

Shawn

(special thanks to rstrong, Mossop, and cdleary for helping me get some=20
numbers on this)

--------------ms000004090605060707040406--
0
Shawn
2/3/2011 7:09:15 PM
mozilla.dev.platform 6548 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Increasing text size also increases image size
Name: Nikola Email: balhaaratgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Increasing text size also increases image size Comments: I always like to enlarge the text on a site, it makes it easier to read. But apparently in the newest Firefox version pressing Ctrl++ also increases image size. This causes problems in reading web pages, for example: http://www.cracked.com/article_15895_5-most-badass-presidents-all-time.html When you enlarge the text AND images the text goes out of bounds and into the right column. This never used to be an issue with the older versions so I'm g...

Is dev-platform for platform users or platform developers?
So since dev-tech-xpcom closed, there's been an awful lot of traffic on dev-platform from platform users. I don't really have time to read this, and it probably means I'll be paying less attention to the platform developer traffic on dev-platform (if any at all; I'd long since unsubscribed to dev-tech-xpcom until told to resubscribe to follow the XPCOM memory management discussion). Does this discussion belong on dev-platform, or should it be redirected elsewhere? -David -- L. David Baron http://dbaron.org/ Mozilla Corporation ...

XE8 console app large increase in code size over 2007
I have several small console apps coded in 2007 that when compiled in XE8 explode in size. The problem appears to be anything that uses the classes unit, an empty console app that includes the classes unit will create an executable near 1MB in size, the same in D2007 would be only a few KB. I obviously don't need the VCL but use of a few classes is necessary but completely unusable in XE8 since the apps are intended for use on an embedded system with limited storage space. Is there any way to mitigate this code bloat or do I have to downgrade to 2007? Andy Kozakewycz wrote: &...

Merging dev-tech-layout into dev-platform
Today I found out that I had missed a post from David Baron on dev-tech-layout, because I had no idea that this list exists. I think dev-platform is a better place to have the conversation related to the layout module (people are already having discussions about other modules over there). Does anybody have any objections? Cheers, Ehsan ...

Merging dev-tech-layout into dev-platform
Today I found out that I had missed a post from David Baron on dev-tech-layout, because I had no idea that this list exists. I think dev-platform is a better place to have the conversation related to the layout module (people are already having discussions about other modules over there). Does anybody have any objections? Cheers, Ehsan ...

large table size vs. large table number
If I have the same amount of data to store and I have two options to store it, which is better in terms of performance? I cannot find any performance statistics on this. 1. Store all the data in a small number of tables, with each table having a very large size. 2. Store the data in many separate tables, with each table only having a few rows. For my purpose, storing them in many separate tables is better because I will access similar data all at once, so I can access one table and get all the data I need at once. However, I am concerned about having many tables, like hundreds of...

Font size in Reply increase in size with each reply to thread
We have a client that is having an interesting issue when he reply's to an email. with each reply to the same subject the font size increases. our default is 10 point, and we have it set to append to end of email, each append gain's like 2 points each reply, so far up to 20 points. we have tried it in Online mode, Caching mode etc. as well as adjusting the format for the reply. installed release 7.0.1B 3/30/2006 and still have the same problem Peter, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered...

increase max attchment size / max email message size.
Hello all, I'm having a bit of a issue with max message size. I'm using hmc 4.0. I have set maxsendsize to 50mb on transport hub/exedge and some emails that get over 10mb don't go through. I was wondering if there is a way in hmc to increase max message size. so far I have used. get-TransportConfig ClearCategories                : TrueGenerateCopyOfDSNFor           : {5.4.8, 5.4.6, 5.4.4, 5.2.4, 5.2.0, 5.1.4}InternalSMTPServers   &n...

Consolidating dev-webapi into dev-platform after Friday (2015-06-19)
Unless you have serious objections, I'm going to request that dev-webapi redirects to dev-platform as of this coming Saturday at 00:00. A few people have pointed out that having the split mailing list is causing confusion about where to send emails and the traffic level doesn't seem to me to justify its continued existence. ...

increasing text size causes increased page width to go off-screen
in v2.x when i increased text size, the screen width remained constant so that i wasn't forced to scroll horizontally to read the page. with v3.x i've lost this capacity so now every time i increase text size (which is frequent because of my extreme nearsightedness) i have to deal with the pesky horizontal scrolling unlike with v2.x. is there a way to adjust v3.x to make the screen width fixed as in v2.x? leonard On 4-Dec-08, at 10:19 AM, leonard613@gmail.com wrote: > in v2.x when i increased text size, the screen width remained constant > so that i wasn't ...

Error: Data overflow. Increase specified column size or buffer size
Hi All, We have problem and here are the details: Environment Details: Windows 200 Server Service Pack 4 Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.5.3/EBF 13331 ESD#7/P/NT (IX86)/OS 4.0/ase1253/1951/32-bit/OPT/Fri Mar 24 02:17:56 2006 .Net Framework 1.1 Sybase ADO.NET Provider: Sybase.Data.AseClient.dll =96 version 1.1.475.0 Problem Description: We develop ASP.NET Web Application. We connect to the ASE using Sybase ADO.NET Provider. The ASE has: Character set: Unicode 3.1 UTF-8 Character Set; Language: us_english; Sort order...

Need larger array size (Retitled: "Increase Cache Size??")
OS: Windows 2000 PB Version: 7.0.3 Build 10009 Here's my dilema. I have one datawindow that retrieves a large list of customer numbers (formatted as text - 12 or 13 char each). This list is saved and passed as an array for input parameters on another window. If this list exceeds 250 items, the program blows up. I desperately need to be able to pass as many numbers as returned from initial query. Is this a cache issue? If so, how do I fix it? If not, what the heck can I do to get the program to allow me to pass all the numbers? Any help is so greatly appreciat...

image resize function producing 2 images of same size instead of thumb and large sizes
my code is meant 2 insert 2x images into the database. one medium size, and one thumbnail. unfortunately it seems to be inserting 2x images of the same size into the database. the images are retrieved using and event handler which works fine. i have isolated it to be my resize function:  1 using System; 2 using System.Data; 3 using System.Data.Sql; 4 using System.Data.SqlClient; 5 using System.Configuration; 6 using System.Collections; 7 using System.Web; 8 using System.Web.Security; 9 using System.Web.UI; 10 using System.Web.UI.WebControls; 1...

Feature request: Increase font size when Writing message without changing print size
Name: Michael Kassler Email: mkassleratinternodedotnet Product: Thunderbird Summary: Feature request: Increase font size when Writing message without changing print size Comments: For people using wide-screen displays it will be useful to have a feature that enables the font size in the WRITE window to be enlarged without changing the font size at which text is printed or transmitted. Discussion in the support forum has indicated that this feature is not now available (or if it is no one knows how to implement it). Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; e...

Web resources about - Large increase in size of libxul - mozilla.dev.platform

List of countries by natural increase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The newly formed constituent countries of Sint Maarten and Curaçao are included in the most recent CIA World Factbook death rate lists, but not ...

Journalists See 320% Increase In Facebook Subscribers
A Facebook analysis studying journalists' use of the subscribe feature finds that the group have experienced a 320 percent average increase in ...

New comScore Study Shows Facebook Ads Increase Vehicle Consideration, Decrease Competitor Consideration ...
A new comScore Action Lift study initiated by Facebook shows Facebook’s impact on new vehicle consideration.

Facebook Updates Friend List Interface Again, Hoping to Increase Usage
In a small update that might be hinting at more changes to come, Facebook has altered how users select friends to add to their friends lists. ...

Search Twitter - increase
... using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Search Refresh Top Tweet OECD @ OECD Jun 3 The #gender wage gap is starting to increase ...

Working to increase #transparency: Our latest report - Twitter Blogs
A lot has happened in the data privacy space since the release of our last #transparency report back in January. As we’ve noted, we believe the ...

Gun ownership increases with more than 19,000 firearms in the ACT
Gun ownership has risen 3 per cent in the past year, with one firearm registered for every 20 residents in the ACT.

Hyundai Sonata sales drop so Santa Fe production will increase
Filed under: Plants/Manufacturing , Hyundai , Crossover Hyundai will shift some production of the Santa Fe Sport to its Alabama factory this ...

Ballot measure would increase Washington's minimum wage, require paid sick leave
A Washington state ballot initiative filed on Monday would increase the statewide minimum wage to $13.50 an hour in four years and require employers ...

EXCLUSIVE: Robert Rector Details 370 Percent Increase of Able-Bodied Adults Without Dependents on Food ...
EXCLUSIVE: Robert Rector Details 370 Percent Increase of Able-Bodied Adults Without Dependents on Food Stamps