Intent to unship: mozAutoGainControl & mozNoiseSuppression constraints (and AGC=on by default)

TL;DR: anticipate very low impact.

We don't have telemetry for these, but we've been warning about these in
web console since 55. [1]

These are legacy names for the standard autoGainControl and
noiseSuppression constraints we've supported since 55. [1]

You can try it out here
https://blog.mozilla.org/webrtc/fiddle-of-the-week-audio-constraints/

Interestingly, in 64 we're also considering changing autoGainControl to
be ON by default (it was the lone audio processing constraint not ON by
default, differing from Chrome). [2]

The way constraints work, specs don't dictate UA defaults. It is up to
JS to constrain all properties they care about. But we wanted to tell
you anyhow.

The most likely net fallout of, if any, would be sites that UA-sniff AND
rely on the legacy Firefox names ONLY to turn OFF audio processing.
These are likely to be specialty sites dealing with things like music
rather than your typical WebRTC communication site. More likely, old
sites would double up the moz and non-moz constraints here in order to
work with both Firefox and Chrome, and in those cases, there is no impact.

[1] https://bugzil.la/1366415
[2] https://bugzil.la/1496714

0
Jan
10/10/2018 2:48:36 PM
mozilla.dev.platform 6470 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Hi Jan-Ivar,

On 10/10/18 9:48 AM, Jan-Ivar Bruaroey wrote:
> The most likely net fallout of, if any, would be sites that UA-sniff AND
> rely on the legacy Firefox names ONLY to turn OFF audio processing.
> These are likely to be specialty sites dealing with things like music
> rather than your typical WebRTC communication site. More likely, old
> sites would double up the moz and non-moz constraints here in order to
> work with both Firefox and Chrome, and in those cases, there is no impact.

If they didn't include an unprefixed constraint, would it throw?

thanks,

--
Mike Taylor
Web Compat, Mozilla
On 10/10/18 4:29 PM, Mike Taylor wrote:
> Hi Jan-Ivar,
>
> On 10/10/18 9:48 AM, Jan-Ivar Bruaroey wrote:
>> The most likely net fallout of, if any, would be sites that UA-sniff
>> AND rely on the legacy Firefox names ONLY to turn OFF audio
>> processing. These are likely to be specialty sites dealing with things
>> like music rather than your typical WebRTC communication site. More
>> likely, old sites would double up the moz and non-moz constraints here
>> in order to work with both Firefox and Chrome, and in those cases,
>> there is no impact.
>
> If they didn't include an unprefixed constraint, would it throw?

No, they'd get processed audio where they expected unprocessed audio.

..: Jan-Ivar :.

0
Jan