How to generate compatible firefox for all versions of linux system?

Hi all,

I had built a firefox on ubuntu 16.04 with GCC 5.4.0 and Glibc 2.23  from Mozilla-central. Exported the package using "./mach package".

firefox version 72.0a1.en

When  I try to launch the  exported firefox from another ubuntu machine with same config   ubuntu 16.04, GCC 5.4.0 I was getting  an error

"""
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /home/test/Documents/firefox/libxul.so:
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.22' not found (required by /home/test/Documents/firefox/libxul.so)
Couldn't load XPCOM
"""

This requires me to upgrade GCC in that machine in order to launch the browser without errors.

I tried Firefox Nightly from Mozilla official releases works fine without depending on the Glibc version.

What should I do to configure and build to make the exported firefox work on other machines without upgrading the GCC version?
0
acnataraj6
12/11/2019 6:54:39 AM
mozilla.dev.platform 6607 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

According to this page [1], the current minimum version of gcc
required to build Firefox trunk is 7.1.

If you need to build with gcc 5.4, you may need to build an older
release or esr branch rather than current trunk. I don't know if the
compiler requirements are documented on a per release basis anywhere,
but searching dev-platform should allow you to get an idea of when the
minimum required version was bumped.

Cheers,
Botond

[1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Using_CXX_in_Mozilla_code

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 8:36 AM <acnataraj6@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I had built a firefox on ubuntu 16.04 with GCC 5.4.0 and Glibc 2.23  from Mozilla-central. Exported the package using "./mach package".
>
> firefox version 72.0a1.en
>
> When  I try to launch the  exported firefox from another ubuntu machine with same config   ubuntu 16.04, GCC 5.4.0 I was getting  an error
>

> """
> XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /home/test/Documents/firefox/libxul.so:
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.22' not found (required by /home/test/Documents/firefox/libxul.so)
> Couldn't load XPCOM
> """
>
> This requires me to upgrade GCC in that machine in order to launch the browser without errors.
>
> I tried Firefox Nightly from Mozilla official releases works fine without depending on the Glibc version.
>

> What should I do to configure and build to make the exported firefox work on other machines without upgrading the GCC version?
Botond
12/12/2019 8:15:18 PM
On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 10:54:39PM -0800, acnataraj6@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I had built a firefox on ubuntu 16.04 with GCC 5.4.0 and Glibc 2.23  from Mozilla-central. Exported the package using "./mach package".
>
> firefox version 72.0a1.en
>
> When  I try to launch the  exported firefox from another ubuntu machine with same config   ubuntu 16.04, GCC 5.4.0 I was getting  an error
>

> """
> XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /home/test/Documents/firefox/libxul.so:
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.22' not found (required by /home/test/Documents/firefox/libxul.so)
> Couldn't load XPCOM
> """
>
> This requires me to upgrade GCC in that machine in order to launch the browser without errors.
>
> I tried Firefox Nightly from Mozilla official releases works fine without depending on the Glibc version.
>

> What should I do to configure and build to make the exported firefox work on other machines without upgrading the GCC version?

You need to add `ac_add_options --enable-stdcxx-compat` to your
mozconfig. It's not guaranteed to work in all cases, though (it's
only tested in the build environment Mozilla uses for its builds)

Mike
0
Mike