Documentation for IPDL needs some edit

I have started to learn about IPDL and am reading IPDL Tutorial (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/IPDL/Tutorial). It looks like the document is old and needs some edits, but this is an area I'm still learning so I want to make sure:

1. Nearly all of the examples lack explicit modifier before message names. AFAIK messages are required to have `async` or `sync` before them since Bug 1240871, am I right?

2. The document says `rpc` shouldn't be used for general purpose but still the example in "Subprotocols and Protocol Management" section uses it for no explicit reason. I think it should use async instead as suggested, what do you think?

3. `rpc` is mainly for NPAPI per the document, but NPAPI is dead. Why do we still need it?

Not sure this is the right place to discuss about documentations, if I posted to a wrong one please inform me.
0
saschanaz7
8/10/2019 2:10:56 PM
mozilla.dev.platform 6545 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Saturday, August 10, 2019 at 11:10:58 PM UTC+9, sasch...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have started to learn about IPDL and am reading IPDL Tutorial (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/IPDL/Tutorial). It looks like the document is old and needs some edits, but this is an area I'm still learning so I want to make sure:
>
> 1. Nearly all of the examples lack explicit modifier before message names. AFAIK messages are required to have `async` or `sync` before them since Bug 1240871, am I right?
>
> 2. The document says `rpc` shouldn't be used for general purpose but still the example in "Subprotocols and Protocol Management" section uses it for no explicit reason. I think it should use async instead as suggested, what do you think?
>
> 3. `rpc` is mainly for NPAPI per the document, but NPAPI is dead. Why do we still need it?
>
> Not sure this is the right place to discuss about documentations, if I posted to a wrong one please inform me.

Or rpc semantics has already been removed since Bug 1049879?
0
saschanaz7
8/11/2019 6:12:45 AM
Am Samstag, 10. August 2019 16:10:58 UTC+2 schrieb sasch...@gmail.com:
> I have started to learn about IPDL and am reading IPDL Tutorial (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/IPDL/Tutorial). It looks like the document is old and needs some edits, but this is an area I'm still learning so I want to make sure:
>
> 1. Nearly all of the examples lack explicit modifier before message names. AFAIK messages are required to have `async` or `sync` before them since Bug 1240871, am I right?
>
> 2. The document says `rpc` shouldn't be used for general purpose but still the example in "Subprotocols and Protocol Management" section uses it for no explicit reason. I think it should use async instead as suggested, what do you think?
>
> 3. `rpc` is mainly for NPAPI per the document, but NPAPI is dead. Why do we still need it?
>
> Not sure this is the right place to discuss about documentations, if I posted to a wrong one please inform me.

I can't answer any of your questions, but may be this is helpful in case the docs are out of date:
https://developer.mozilla.org/de/docs/MDN/Feedback
where you can find this link to report a problem:
https://github.com/mdn/sprints/issues/new?template=issue-template.md&projects=mdn/sprints/2&labels=user-report
On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 6:29:01 AM UTC+9, j.j. wrote:
> Am Samstag, 10. August 2019 16:10:58 UTC+2 schrieb sasch...@gmail.com:
> > I have started to learn about IPDL and am reading IPDL Tutorial (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/IPDL/Tutorial). It looks like the document is old and needs some edits, but this is an area I'm still learning so I want to make sure:
> >
> > 1. Nearly all of the examples lack explicit modifier before message names. AFAIK messages are required to have `async` or `sync` before them since Bug 1240871, am I right?
> >
> > 2. The document says `rpc` shouldn't be used for general purpose but still the example in "Subprotocols and Protocol Management" section uses it for no explicit reason. I think it should use async instead as suggested, what do you think?
> >
> > 3. `rpc` is mainly for NPAPI per the document, but NPAPI is dead. Why do we still need it?
> >
> > Not sure this is the right place to discuss about documentations, if I posted to a wrong one please inform me.
>
> I can't answer any of your questions, but may be this is helpful in case the docs are out of date:
> https://developer.mozilla.org/de/docs/MDN/Feedback
> where you can find this link to report a problem:
> https://github.com/mdn/sprints/issues/new?template=issue-template.md&projects=mdn/sprints/2&labels=user-report

Thanks, I filed https://github.com/mdn/sprints/issues/2006.
0
saschanaz7
8/12/2019 12:49:50 PM
On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 7:15 AM <saschanaz7@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have started to learn about IPDL and am reading IPDL Tutorial (
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/IPDL/Tutorial). It looks
> like the document is old and needs some edits, but this is an area I'm
> still learning so I want to make sure:

Yeah, unfortunately most of this documentation was written around 2010, and
it hasn't been updated to keep up with the changes that have happened in
the last 9 years. Probably the most direct way to see what the current
syntax is is to look at the IPDL parser code:
https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/ipc/ipdl/ipdl/parser.py
You can look at the commit history of that file to find the bug numbers for
when things were removed and maybe get some context for that.

> 1. Nearly all of the examples lack explicit modifier before message names.
> AFAIK messages are required to have `async` or `sync` before them since Bug
> 1240871, am I right?

Yes, that is right.

> 2. The document says `rpc` shouldn't be used for general purpose but still
> the example in "Subprotocols and Protocol Management" section uses it for
> no explicit reason. I think it should use async instead as suggested, what
> do you think?

As you found in your followup message, this was replaced with some kind of
priority stuff. I don't remember the specifics.

> 3. `rpc` is mainly for NPAPI per the document, but NPAPI is dead. Why do
> we still need it?

NPAPI isn't dead quite yet. It is still used for Flash, which is going to
be supported for at least a few more years, if I remember correctly.

> Not sure this is the right place to discuss about documentations, if I
> posted to a wrong one please inform me.

Andrew
8/12/2019 3:40:29 PM
Okay, thanks for the confirmation! Will do some needed edits.
0
saschanaz7