Cross post from fx-dev: Internet Connectivity and Work Offline Mode

Please note: This is a cross post from fx-dev. If you can, please reply i=
n the thread there.

Hello all,

I=E2=80=99m an intern on the =46irefox UX team. I=E2=80=99ve been working=
 on ways we could improve the user experience for people who are having n=
etwork related issues.

I noticed that internet connectivity issues are not reported to the user =
and instead are given network related issues. =46or example, you do not h=
ave an active Wi=46i connection, try to access a site, and get a DNS erro=
r. This leads to us mis-diagnosing the problem to the user.

I=E2=80=99ve done research into the problem, and turns out we do have the=
 capabilities to do connectivity detection, however the feature is disabl=
ed due to the implementation not behaving how we want. In addition, there=
 were cases where users would be stuck in =E2=80=9Cwork offline=E2=80=9D =
mode.

You=E2=80=99ll find a further analysis of the problem here:=C2=A0https://=
people.mozilla.org/=7Evtsatskin/notes/Projects/Internet%20Connectivity/in=
ternet.connectivty

I welcome any and all feedback to the document. I=E2=80=99m particularily=
 looking for people experienced in the networking portions of our code ba=
se to see if there are any holes in the assumptions I=E2=80=99ve made.

--=C2=A0
Valentin Tsatskin
User Experience Connoisseur in Training =40=C2=A0Mozilla
0
Valentin
2/21/2014 2:08:12 AM
mozilla.dev.platform 6647 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow