[JavaScript Warning: "Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key="k" modifiers="alt,accel,shift"" {file: "chrome://chromebug/content/chromebug.xul" line: 0}]

I get this message every time I hit keys in chromebug or firebug. Is 
there any way to get rid of them?

jjb
0
John
6/4/2009 4:28:45 AM
mozilla.dev.platform 6651 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

11 Replies
892 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 14

John J. Barton wrote:
> I get this message every time I hit keys in chromebug or firebug. Is 
> there any way to get rid of them?

Don't use <key> elements that some of your users won't be able to trigger?

-Boris
0
Boris
6/4/2009 4:28:27 AM
John J. Barton wrote:
> Which one?  Neither the string "k" nor line 0 are in the file.

Does the file load any overlays?  Does it create any elements via DOM calls?

Sadly, for XUL <key> elements by the time we're reporting this error we 
have no idea where the element came from.  All we know is the document 
whose DOM it's in....  With XUL overlays, even the "which overlay did 
this come from?" information is lost, though we could, and maybe should, 
preserve it.  Would cost an extra word per XUL proto node, of course.

-Boris
0
Boris
6/4/2009 4:42:09 AM
Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> John J. Barton wrote:
>> I get this message every time I hit keys in chromebug or firebug. Is 
>> there any way to get rid of them?
> 
> Don't use <key> elements that some of your users won't be able to trigger?

Which one?  Neither the string "k" nor line 0 are in the file.

jjb
0
John
6/4/2009 4:47:05 AM
Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> John J. Barton wrote:
>> Which one?  Neither the string "k" nor line 0 are in the file.
> 
> Does the file load any overlays?  Does it create any elements via DOM 
> calls?

Yes, there is an overlay, it has a "k":
         <key id="key_focusFirebugSearch" key="k" 
modifiers="accel,shift" command="cmd_focusFirebugSearch" class="fbOnlyKey"/>

but the modifiers don't match the error and commenting out the line did 
not fix the problem.

Of course lots of DOM elements are created. I guess you mean 'key' 
elements created? Maybe for the accessibility feature, I'll have to ask.

(Besides this message is completely ridiculous. It's not like its any of 
the platform's business what keys we use, it's not like we can change it 
now that users already adopted it, we don't have any way to know what 
keys are allowed (do we?), and does this make any sense when the world 
has non-latin keyboards?) And worst of all I can't find a way to disable 
the SNARKLOCK key.

jjb
0
John
6/4/2009 5:20:24 AM
John J. Barton wrote:
> but the modifiers don't match the error and commenting out the line did 
> not fix the problem.

Sounds like there are other <key>s around, then.

> (Besides this message is completely ridiculous. It's not like its any of 
> the platform's business what keys we use

All this message says is that for some of our supported platforms (only
Windows and GTK2 at the moment) when the user tries to type in your key
combination the platform (Windows or GTK2) will intercept the key for 
its own purposes (e.g. user input of arbitrary Unicode characters) and 
not pass it through to the application (Firefox, in your case) at all. 
So the user will be unable to use the keyboard shortcut.

The assumption is that you're not in a position to test across all 
possible OSes and all possible keyboard layouts but might want to know 
when you create UI some of your users won't be able to use.

 > it's not like we can change it now that users already adopted it

After you ignored the warning and shipped it, right?  That's really your 
problem, now isn't it?

 > we don't have any way to know what keys are allowed (do we?)

I can tell you what the XBL code that handles <key> is checking for:

   Accel+Shift+u
   Accel+Alt+[a-z]

Both case-insensitive.

 > and does this make any sense when the world has non-latin keyboards

I have no idea.  ;)

 > And worst of all I can't find a way to disable the SNARKLOCK key.

I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.

You can suppress the warning by putting a ',' at the beginning of the 
"modifiers" attribute of the relevant <key> to indicate that you 
understand that it won't work for some users and don't care, if that's 
what you were asking about.  That still means finding the <key>.

-Boris

P.S.  Given your comments in 
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=311756 and the fact that 
I've said most of this before in that bug, why are we having this 
discussion?
0
Boris
6/4/2009 5:29:19 AM
Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> John J. Barton wrote:
>> but the modifiers don't match the error and commenting out the line 
>> did not fix the problem.
> 
> Sounds like there are other <key>s around, then.
> 
>> (Besides this message is completely ridiculous. It's not like its any 
>> of the platform's business what keys we use
> 
> All this message says is that for some of our supported platforms (only
> Windows and GTK2 at the moment) when the user tries to type in your key
> combination the platform (Windows or GTK2) will intercept the key for 
> its own purposes (e.g. user input of arbitrary Unicode characters) and 
> not pass it through to the application (Firefox, in your case) at all. 
> So the user will be unable to use the keyboard shortcut.

We have lots of complaints about key combinations, mostly on OSX. So the 
message is ineffectual, difficult (impossible for me) to track down, and 
re-occurs dozens of times an hour for me.

>  > And worst of all I can't find a way to disable the SNARKLOCK key.
> 
> I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.
(Sorry that's Shaver's idea).

> P.S.  Given your comments in 
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=311756 and the fact that 
> I've said most of this before in that bug, why are we having this 
> discussion?

Did I mention that I see this dozens of times an hour all day long?

jjb
0
John
6/4/2009 5:50:40 AM
John J. Barton wrote:
....
> We have lots of complaints about key combinations, mostly on OSX. So the 
> message is ineffectual, difficult (impossible for me) to track down, and 
> re-occurs dozens of times an hour for me.

Ok, what a dumb thing to say. To track it down, all you have to do is 
press the key combo and see what happens.

And ctrl-alt-shift-k on Firebug opens ... the new Firebug key rebinding 
window! Ouch.

jjb
0
John
6/4/2009 6:15:54 AM
Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> You can suppress the warning by putting a ',' at the beginning of the
> "modifiers" attribute of the relevant <key> to indicate that you
> understand that it won't work for some users and don't care, if that's
> what you were asking about.  That still means finding the <key>.

Wow, nice feature. Now we can get rid of a long-standing warning in 
SeaMonkey as well: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=496322

Thanks for this post!

Robert Kaiser
0
Robert
6/4/2009 12:52:11 PM
Robert Kaiser wrote:

> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>
>> You can suppress the warning by putting a ',' at the beginning of the 
>> "modifiers" attribute of the relevant <key> to indicate that you 
>> understand that it won't work for some users and don't care, if 
>> that's what you were asking about.  That still means finding the <key>.
>
> Wow, nice feature. Now we can get rid of a long-standing warning in 
> SeaMonkey as well: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=496322

I'm not sure that works on keys exposed in the menus.

-- 
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.
0
Neil
6/4/2009 1:17:05 PM
John J. Barton wrote:
>> P.S.  Given your comments in 
>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=311756 and the fact that 
>> I've said most of this before in that bug, why are we having this 
>> discussion?
> 
> Did I mention that I see this dozens of times an hour all day long?

Sure; my question was why you were reasking the questions you'd already 
asked (and had answered) in that bug.  For example, the explanation of 
what's going on with the filename/linenumber for the message that I 
typed in this thread seems to be pretty much a duplicate of what I'd 
typed in that bug.

I mean... our code does change, but it's a good thing to assume that if 
something is broken in exactly the same way as before it's for exactly 
the same reason as before.... ;)

-Boris
0
Boris
6/4/2009 4:03:52 PM
Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> John J. Barton wrote:
>>> P.S.  Given your comments in 
>>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=311756 and the fact that 
>>> I've said most of this before in that bug, why are we having this 
>>> discussion?
>>
>> Did I mention that I see this dozens of times an hour all day long?
> 
> Sure; my question was why you were reasking the questions you'd already 
> asked (and had answered) in that bug.  For example, the explanation of 
> what's going on with the filename/linenumber for the message that I 
> typed in this thread seems to be pretty much a duplicate of what I'd 
> typed in that bug.
> 
> I mean... our code does change, but it's a good thing to assume that if 
> something is broken in exactly the same way as before it's for exactly 
> the same reason as before.... ;)

Ok, I apologize for wasting your time. Now I know how to workaround this 
problem and I added that to the bug report. So I won't ask again.

jjb
0
John
6/4/2009 4:34:41 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Precedence of "where" ("of", "is", "will")?
Nobody on #perl6 today could answer this one. Is: Str | Int where { $_ } the same as: (Str | Int) where { $_ } or: Str | (Int where { $_ }) ? Followup questions, Mr. President: What kind of operators are "where", "of", "is", and "will"? Is there a reason that S03 doesn't list them? What are their precedence(s)? -- Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <chip@pobox.com> Open Source is not an excuse to write fun code then leave the actual work to others. Chip Salzenberg writes: &...

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")
Do you know anyway for me to exclude a subset of columns returned by this function. We have two columns (rec_user and rec_datetime) which are in all of our tables, but when generating triggers I want automatically generate a script which does not include those two columns but does include all other columns in that table. Bruce I should add that I am using PD 9.0.0.580. Bruce "Bruce Lamb" <lamb.bruce@mayo.edu> wrote in message news:6HgI315nCHA.155@forums.sybase.com... > Do you know anyway for me to exclude a subset of columns returned by this > function. ...

quotes, quotes, quotes...
I am getting this error and I know what is causing it, but I have no idea how to fix it, any help would be great. The script steps through the /var/log/messages file on a linux server and puts The entries into a mysql database. However when it gets to the 'hlt' line in the messages file it just barfs. The single quotes are freaking it out. I know about quotes but not how to use in this situation. Thanks, Paul Error: May 27 17:53:00 localhost kernel: Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK. <----- doesn't like this in the messages file DBD::mysql::st exec...

<key id="key_savePage" key="&savePageCmd.command.key;" command-"Broswer:SavePage" modifiers="accel"/> ----^
Name: yel0sub Email: yel0subatcomcastdotnet Product: SeaMonkey Summary: <key id="key_savePage" key="&savePageCmd.command.key;" command-"Broswer:SavePage" modifiers="accel"/> ----^ Comments: Downloaded SeaMonkey 1.1.5 with same result on installation. PowerBook G4 OS X 10.4.10 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070802 SeaMonkey/1.1.4 ...

Are there different between ViewState.Add("key","Word"); and ViewState["key"] = "Word";
I think the 1 and 2 are complete same, is it correct? 1. ViewState.Add("key","Word"); 2. ViewState["key"] = "Word";SuperCool Multiple ZIP - A utility to unzip multiple files and work with multiple zip filesSuperCool Random Number Generator You are correct, option 2 is short hand for option 1.Philip Beadle (MVP, MCAD, MCT DotNetNuke Core Team)...

Using "+" or "||"
Using SQLAnywhere 5.5.04, I've gotten into the habit of using "||" in ISQL to indicate a string concatenation. I needed to paste my SQL statement into the PowerBuilder script painter for some embedded SQL, and PB didn't like the "||" very much at all. I changed it to "+" and it seems to be ok. Do these two operators indicate ~exactly~ the same thing? moin, afaik these two's are not the same! if you're using "||" and any term is NULL then in the resultstring the term will be ignored if you use "+" then the resu...

replace the "." with a ","
Oi.... I need to build a small programm in ASP.NET and chose to use C# for it.Now i got everything working but there's one little problem.the first textbox is a double. I need to make it so that when someone enters a "." then it gets replaced by a ","any ideas?Ghan  string blah = "4.2.2.2";blah = blah.Replace(".", ",");Ryan Ryan OlshanASPInsider | Microsoft MVP, ASP.NEThttp://ryanolshan.comHow to ask a question...

"Using" or "With"
Hi all Please can someone enlighten to me as regards the difference with the "Using" and "With" statement when accessing data - which is better, what are the limitations and/or any pointers. Many thanks. Regards DaveDavid WinchesterPlease mark as answer if this is the solution.  using gives you the ability to use the connection and it closes the connection directlly after you finish using it. and there is no need to try- cach - finaly. there is no limitation on using USING keywordMuhanad YOUNISMCSD.NETMy Blog || My Photos || LinkedIn I have a dataobject the re...

Replacing "\\" with "\"
Hi all I'm getting this value from a CheckBoxList control - a location of file, i have to remove "\\" and replace it with "\" and pass it to Query, how to do it, i tried with Replace, but coud'nt suceed. "\\\\Blaze10xp\\BLZ_SFS_07\\Sample Excel Files\\Excel Files\\report2.xls" thank's in advance - Prakash.C you tried Replace like this? string newstring = oldstring.Replace(@"\\",@"\");Plese, do not forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. Thanx!My blog: Scenes From A Developer Memory yes i tr...

"-" not "_"
I wrote a SQL statement in the data tab. I wrote a bunch of alaises as example ' word-type ' but when I hit the layout tab it converts the "-" to "_". So now my field name is ' word_type '. Is there any way to prevent this? CardGunner Don' use a hypen ( - ).  It isn't a valid character for column names.   See http://searchsqlserver.techtarget.com/expert/KnowledgebaseAnswer/0,289625,sid87_gci1188931,00.html   Here's an excerpt about column names: Letters as defined in the Unicode Standard 2.0 Decimal numbers from either B...

double quote
hello there...  i tried everything of think but not working the way i wanted to be... not sure what i'm missing...i'm generating a <span> in code behind and then using in javascript.... here is what i'm doing code behind: int i=0string _keywordID = "keyword";string _name = row["visit_info_nm"].ToString().Trim(); String _getElementByID = String.Format("<span id='{0}' OnClick = \"document.getElementById('{1}').value='{2}';\">{3}</span><br>", i, _keywordID, _name, _name); here is what it generate : <span id='1' OnClick = \"document.getElementById('keyword')...

"Me" is better than "You"
Yes I know, strings are frozen. But let me talk about it, I really can't get through the idea of a PC talkin to me. I consider my PC as an extension of myself, not a dumb companion who addresses Me as You. Yes there are times when I get angry with Him while I work and get wrong calculations etc.., but it really is my fault, Me using wrong istructions and eventually wanting to find someone else to blame, but it's Me. And yes, I consider Thunderbird my mail program, reading my mail on my PC as Me. So I personally like to have Me in the header bar as a compact address ...

"To" and "From" missing
When I print emails, the words "To" and "From" are blank, even though the "To" name and "From name (addresser, addressee) do show up. This is not a problem for other users on my system. Suggestions In mailbox right click, view. On the message window, right click and choose print options. Make sure print header is checked. -- Barry Merchant NSC Volunteer SysOp *** no email unless requested please!! *** > In mailbox right click, view. On the message window, right click and > choose print options. Make sure prin...

Swap a "1" or "0" for a "Y" or "N"
I have a sql query that returns rows of data and one field returns a 1 (which means yes) or a 0 (which means no).  On my vb.net page, how do I replace the 1 with a Yes and the 0 with a No?  Or do I do this in the sql?  How do I do this in sql?Never make important decisions on a Monday! By default, VB.Net can understand 1 as Yes and 0 as No.I believe you are using those DB values for your Boolean Operations.Try to use If <DBValue> then <Operation>. If you are really need Yes/No .... Declare boolean variable in VB.net and set those variables. Thanks and R...

Web resources about - [JavaScript Warning: "Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key="k" modifiers="alt,accel,shift"" {file: "chrome://chromebug/content/chromebug.xul" line: 0}] - mozilla.dev.platform

Resources last updated: 12/22/2015 9:48:23 PM