Renaming of "Firefox only" to "Toolkit only"

As discussed on irc, lots of pages have the mention "Firefox only", or
"Not in Firefox" [1] [2].

That's not very correct technically, as other apps like XULRunner or
Thunderbird are also concerned by the "Firefox only" texts. It was
proposed to rename those to "Toolkit only" / "Not in toolkit". Those
texts should be templatized for easier management.

It was also discussed if pre-toolkit stuff should be supported, but I
guess that's another debate ;-)

I'm not taking action on this personally, that was to open the discussion.

Sylvain

[1]
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Special:Nutch?query=%22Firefox+only%22&language=en&start=0&hitsPerPage=50
[2]
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Special:Nutch?query=%22Mozilla+only%22&language=en&start=0&hitsPerPage=50
0
Sylvain
9/18/2006 8:11:06 PM
mozilla.dev.mdc 2326 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 9/19/06, Sylvain Pasche <sylvain.pasche@gmail.com> wrote:
> As discussed on irc, lots of pages have the mention "Firefox only", or
> "Not in Firefox" [1] [2].
>
> That's not very correct technically, as other apps like XULRunner or
> Thunderbird are also concerned by the "Firefox only" texts. It was
> proposed to rename those to "Toolkit only" / "Not in toolkit". Those
> texts should be templatized for easier management.

We also use Firefox in other cases when we mean toolkit or the
platform itself. Take for example the articles about new platform
features (http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/New_in_JavaScript_1.7
and others).

If we change "Firefox" to "toolkit", it should link to a page trying
to explain what toolkit is, what apps are toolkit-based and the
versioning scheme (including info on correspondence to gecko
versions).

Also, if it is decided to do the replacement, I can run a bot instead
of having somebody do it manually.

Nickolay
0
Nickolay

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

quotes, quotes, quotes...

renaming "grep" to "where"
Putting aside legacy issues for the moment, I suggest that it might be appropriate to rename the .grep list operator to .where, so we can say, for example: @filtered = @originals.where:{ .foo eq $bar }; We already have a "where" keyword in the language, which is used for very similar things, and I think it would be reasonable that users would see it used in other situations and think they can use it for filtering a list too. Moreover, to people who don't come from the Unix command line, or in general, the term ".where" is more descriptive to wha...

"Firefox" or "Gecko"
Hi, In a lot of places in MDN, like in https://developer.mozilla.org/En/DOM/Attr#Deprecated_properties_and_methods one can see a mention of "Starting in Gecko 7.0 (Firefox 7.0 / Thunderbird 7.0 / SeaMonkey 2.4)...". What is in parens is generated by a template. This was relevant when Gecko/Firefox numbers where different, but I'm wondering if this is necessary anymore for webdev-oriented documentation. I think that since Firefox 4, it would be relevant to just write "Starting in Firefox 7..." (even the ".0" can be dropped I think). This i...

Using "+" or "||"

Replacing "\\" with "\"

"Using" or "With"

double quote

"Me" is better than "You"

replace the "." with a ","

"To" and "From" missing

Web resources about - Renaming of "Firefox only" to "Toolkit only" - mozilla.dev.mdc