Discourse migration requirements status

As you may recall from previous conversations[1][2][3], we're planning
to migrate MDN-related discussions away from our current mailing
list/Google group/newsgroup solution and onto Discourse.

We collected a set of requirements[4], and this week I met with members
of the Participation Systems team, which supports Mozilla's Discourse
implementation, to review which ones are already met and which require
further work.

The following is a recap of the requirements we gathered, with a summary
of the current status. Please respond if you see anything problematic or
missing.

_Must-have_

  * Ability to interact entirely via email (and therefore, ability to
    save a personal archive)
      o Partial support; ParSys has a punch list of items they need to
        implement to reach "mailing list parity". We can influence the
        prioritization of this list, especially if there are items that
        we feel are blockers to migrating this community to Discourse. I
        will start a separate thread about email-related requirements.

  * Spam filtering
      o Currently well-supported. Messages that get trapped by
        spam-filtering may encounter delays before being posted, which
        is similar to our current mailing list setup.
  * Infrastructure owned by Mozilla
      o Fully supported
  * Really solid search to help find that discussion you need to get
    back into
      o Fully supported, including category filtering (so you can search
        just in the 'MDN' category)

  * Posts should be available without logging in, and should be indexed
    by search engines so people with questions can find the answers even
    if the only place the answer exists is in a discussion we've had.
      o Fully supported

_Nice-to-have_

  * Ability for "good" non-members (not spammers) to post without
    creating an account
      o Supported via email, but not the web UI

  * Tagging to distinguish different kinds of topic (for example,
    content, dev, l10n, learning)
      o Supported by Discourse, not yet implemented at Mozilla; not
        supported via email, only web UI

  * Per-user custom tags -- I'd like to be able to tag messages for my
    own personal use to help track things I need to keep up with.
      o Not supported. However, Discourse does support bookmarking, so
        you can keep a list of posts you care about.

  * Ability to monitor new member sign-ups and send personal greeting
      o Not supported
  * Ability to send private messages to posters (e.g., for sending
    Learning Area marking guides)
      o On-site PMs are supported, and can be sent from public threads;
        email addresses are visible only to admins.

_Don't-want_

  * The move to Discourse to be delayed for months and years
      o Under control

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.mdn/JhMP5R5715s
[2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.mdn/_MHkzL-vm9A
[3] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.mdn/OT_jncI7dFg
[4] https://public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/MDN-Discourse-requirements
--

Janet Swisher <mailto:jREMOVEswisher@mozilla.com>
Mozilla Developer Network <https://developer.mozilla.org>

0
Janet
4/19/2017 7:31:45 PM
mozilla.dev.mdc 2323 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow