"Firefox" or "Gecko"

Hi,

In a lot of places in MDN, like in
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/DOM/Attr#Deprecated_properties_and_methods
one can see a mention of "Starting in Gecko 7.0 (Firefox 7.0 /
Thunderbird 7.0 / SeaMonkey 2.4)...". What is in parens is generated by
a template.

This was relevant when Gecko/Firefox numbers where different, but I'm
wondering if this is necessary anymore for webdev-oriented
documentation. I think that since Firefox 4, it would be relevant to
just write "Starting in Firefox 7..." (even the ".0" can be dropped I
think). This is the information that webdevs are looking for.
Other developers (Thunderbird, SeaMonkey) know that Firefox 7 is using
Gecko 7 and know for what platform they developing for and
correspondance, so they don't need the information I think.

Thoughts?

David
0
David
9/27/2011 11:35:38 AM
mozilla.dev.mdc 2326 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Sep 27, 7:35=A0am, David Bruant <david.bru...@labri.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In a lot of places in MDN, like inhttps://developer.mozilla.org/En/DOM/At=
tr#Deprecated_properties_and_m...
> one can see a mention of "Starting in Gecko 7.0 (Firefox 7.0 /
> Thunderbird 7.0 / SeaMonkey 2.4)...". What is in parens is generated by
> a template.
>
> This was relevant when Gecko/Firefox numbers where different, but I'm
> wondering if this is necessary anymore for webdev-oriented
> documentation. I think that since Firefox 4, it would be relevant to
> just write "Starting in Firefox 7..." (even the ".0" can be dropped I
> think). This is the information that webdevs are looking for.
> Other developers (Thunderbird, SeaMonkey) know that Firefox 7 is using
> Gecko 7 and know for what platform they developing for and
> correspondance, so they don't need the information I think.

Others have already chimed in on this, but there are a couple of
reasons to keep using the template:

* As already mentioned, this helps SeaMonkey developers.
* It gives us flexibility in the future; for example, if the version
system changes again in the future for some reason, we can easily
tweak the template and keep on going.

Eric Shepherd
Developer Documentation Lead
Mozilla
http://www.bitstampede.com/
0
Sheppy
9/27/2011 1:03:15 PM
(11/09/27 21:03), Sheppy wrote:
> Others have already chimed in on this, but there are a couple of
> reasons to keep using the template:
>
> * As already mentioned, this helps SeaMonkey developers.
> * It gives us flexibility in the future; for example, if the version
> system changes again in the future for some reason, we can easily
> tweak the template and keep on going.

I think we'll agree using templates is a good idea, and the question is
what the content of this template should be.

I second David's idea to have the shortest version (i.e. Firefox 7) but
I think we can make the longer line (i.e. Gecko 7.0 (Firefox 7.0 /
Thunderbird 7.0 / SeaMonkey 2.4)) as part of the tooltip.

That is, I don't see big harm in optimizing for the majority.
0
Kang
10/1/2011 12:41:34 PM
On 10/01/2011 07:41 AM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu wrote:
> I don't see big harm in optimizing for the majority.

So a vote for "Gecko…" then, right?

--
Colby Russell
0
Colby Russell wrote:
> On 10/01/2011 07:41 AM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu wrote:
>> I don't see big harm in optimizing for the majority.
>
> So a vote for "Gecko…" then, right?

Not sure I can acknowledge this as a vote thing. Since both myself (a
heavy SeaMonkey user/Project Manager) and sheppy (as "owner" of MDC)
doesn't want to change this.

But if *sheppy* chooses to, I won't argue too vocally, since I'm not the
one doing the changes, but I do feel very strongly to keep (roughly)
what we have as far as products we mention.

--
~Justin Wood (Callek)
0
(11/10/09 3:47), Colby Russell wrote:
> On 10/01/2011 07:41 AM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu wrote:
>> I don't see big harm in optimizing for the majority.
>
> So a vote for "Gecko…" then, right?

No. What I was voting for was

* The whole string "Gecko 7.0 (Firefox 7.0 / Thunderbird 7.0 / SeaMonkey
2.4)" should be generated by a single template, not just the part in the
parenthesis.
* The whole string should just become '<span title="Gecko 7.0 (Firefox
7.0 / Thunderbird 7.0 / SeaMonkey 2.4)">Firefox 7.0</span>'
0
Kang
10/10/2011 12:40:24 PM
On 10/10/2011 07:40 AM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu wrote:
> (11/10/09 3:47), Colby Russell wrote:
>> On 10/01/2011 07:41 AM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu wrote:
>>> I don't see big harm in optimizing for the majority.
>>
>> So a vote for "Gecko…" then, right?
>
> No. What I was voting for was

I was pointing out that you gave "optimizing for the majority" as your
reason for "Firefox…".  Actually optimizing for the majority would be a
vote for "Gecko…".

--
Colby Russell
0
Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu wrote:
> No. What I was voting for was
>
> * The whole string "Gecko 7.0 (Firefox 7.0 / Thunderbird 7.0 / SeaMonkey
> 2.4)" should be generated by a single template, not just the part in the
> parenthesis.
This sounds like a reasonable change.

> * The whole string should just become '<span title="Gecko 7.0 (Firefox
> 7.0 / Thunderbird 7.0 / SeaMonkey 2.4)">Firefox 7.0</span>'
This I wholeheartedly disagree with.
0
Justin

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

quotes, quotes, quotes...

"Me" is better than "You"

Replacing "\\" with "\"

Using "+" or "||"

replace the "." with a ","

"Using" or "With"

"To" and "From" missing

double quote

"JROC" / "JROK" / "JROCK" / "JROQ"
I just started a new contract and the tech lead told me that he wanted me to become familiar with something called "JROC" (among some other tools). I've been searching the web and I haven't found any dev tool called "JROC." Based on the name of the tool, it sounds like it encapsulates some javascript functionality. I have tried searching for different spellings - "JROK" / "JROCK" / "JROQ" but I haven't found any matches. Have you ever heard of a dev tool by this name?...

pulling out "a","an", "the" from beginning of strings
I need to pull out articles "a", "an", and "the" from the beginning of title strings so that they sort properly in MySQL. What is the best way to accomplish that if I have a single $scalar with the whole title in it? Thanks, Tim -- Tim McGeary tim.mcgeary@lehigh.edu --=-weUphL4mkB1WR5g+DMDc Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 15:04, Tim McGeary wrote: > I need to pull out articles "a", "an", and "the" from the beginning of=20 >...

Web resources about - "Firefox" or "Gecko" - mozilla.dev.mdc