SeaMonkey 2.1 Release Candidate 2

SeaMonkey 2.1 Release Candidate 2 is now available for free download [1]
on the SeaMonkey website. We encourage testers to get involved [2] in
discussing and reporting problems as well as further improving the product.

SeaMonkey 2.1 RC 2 includes a total of 21 languages, including en-US and
brings our backend up to date with the latest Gecko (Firefox) releases.
(Two new languages over what was in 2.1 RC 1, namely en-GB and tr)

We have a targeted Release Date of June 10, 2011.

This release candidate fixes the issue of our default themes being
marked incompatible on first launch for some users.

It also, unfortunately has 2 known issues, that we feel we can fix for
final without requiring an additional RC.
* SeaMonkey version reports as 2.1pre instead of 2.1
* Built in (developer) extension "Debug & QA" is shipped erroneously.

[1] http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.1rc2
[2] http://www.seamonkey-project.org/dev/get-involved

0
Justin
6/7/2011 4:42:05 AM
mozilla.dev.l10n 3868 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
> SeaMonkey 2.1 Release Candidate 2 is now available for free download [1]
> on the SeaMonkey website. We encourage testers to get involved [2] in
> discussing and reporting problems as well as further improving the product.
>
> SeaMonkey 2.1 RC 2 includes a total of 21 languages, including en-US and
> brings our backend up to date with the latest Gecko (Firefox) releases.
> (Two new languages over what was in 2.1 RC 1, namely en-GB and tr)
>
> We have a targeted Release Date of June 10, 2011.
>
> This release candidate fixes the issue of our default themes being
> marked incompatible on first launch for some users.
>
> It also, unfortunately has 2 known issues, that we feel we can fix for
> final without requiring an additional RC.
> * SeaMonkey version reports as 2.1pre instead of 2.1
> * Built in (developer) extension "Debug&  QA" is shipped erroneously.
>
> [1] http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.1rc2
> [2] http://www.seamonkey-project.org/dev/get-involved

Got the popup notice about this and allowed it to update to rc2.
Learned something:
I had always downloaded then manually installed Seamonkey versions.
The update thing if left to itself installs the full thing including
Chatzilla, Dom inspector, etc (which I have never used and never
installed before).

It would be nice if the update read your setup and re-installed just
what you had been using.
Or is that what you meant by "Debug & QA".

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Try our NEW *SOLAR POWERED* tanning salon!

0
Gerald
6/7/2011 11:44:15 AM
Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
> SeaMonkey 2.1 Release Candidate 2 is now available for free download [1]
> on the SeaMonkey website. We encourage testers to get involved [2] in
> discussing and reporting problems as well as further improving the product.
>
> SeaMonkey 2.1 RC 2 includes a total of 21 languages, including en-US and
> brings our backend up to date with the latest Gecko (Firefox) releases.
> (Two new languages over what was in 2.1 RC 1, namely en-GB and tr)
>
> We have a targeted Release Date of June 10, 2011.
>
> This release candidate fixes the issue of our default themes being
> marked incompatible on first launch for some users.
>
> It also, unfortunately has 2 known issues, that we feel we can fix for
> final without requiring an additional RC.
> * SeaMonkey version reports as 2.1pre instead of 2.1
> * Built in (developer) extension "Debug & QA" is shipped erroneously.
>
> [1] http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.1rc2
> [2] http://www.seamonkey-project.org/dev/get-involved

Reporting itself as 2.1pre instead of 2.1 must be the reason Lightning
1.0b4pre is now incompatible.

The release is June 10th? I thought it was the 21st, and it will be nice
to see it early.
0
WLS
6/7/2011 11:59:22 AM
On 07/06/11 13:44, Gerald Ross wrote:
> Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
>> SeaMonkey 2.1 Release Candidate 2 is now available for free download [1]
>> on the SeaMonkey website. We encourage testers to get involved [2] in
>> discussing and reporting problems as well as further improving the
>> product.
>>
>> SeaMonkey 2.1 RC 2 includes a total of 21 languages, including en-US and
>> brings our backend up to date with the latest Gecko (Firefox) releases.
>> (Two new languages over what was in 2.1 RC 1, namely en-GB and tr)
>>
>> We have a targeted Release Date of June 10, 2011.
>>
>> This release candidate fixes the issue of our default themes being
>> marked incompatible on first launch for some users.
>>
>> It also, unfortunately has 2 known issues, that we feel we can fix for
>> final without requiring an additional RC.
>> * SeaMonkey version reports as 2.1pre instead of 2.1
>> * Built in (developer) extension "Debug& QA" is shipped erroneously.
>>
>> [1] http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.1rc2
>> [2] http://www.seamonkey-project.org/dev/get-involved
>>

> Got the popup notice about this and allowed it to update to rc2. Learned
> something:
> I had always downloaded then manually installed Seamonkey versions. The
> update thing if left to itself installs the full thing including
> Chatzilla, Dom inspector, etc (which I have never used and never
> installed before).
>
> It would be nice if the update read your setup and re-installed just
> what you had been using.
> Or is that what you meant by "Debug & QA".

No, Debug & QA UI is a fourth built-in extension, which is omitted from
release builds.

If you want ChatZilla, Dom Inspector and the JavaScript Debugger to be
unavailable, just disable them (without uninstalling) in the addons
manager. That "disabled" flag ought to be respected by further upgrades.
Then you can easily reverse that disable if, for instance, someday you
want to use ChatZilla (a very fine IRC client IMHO) for chatting. The
other two are more useful to people who write CSS and JavaScript
respectively.

Best regards,
Tony.
107. When using your phone you forget that you don't have to use your
      keyboard.
0
Tony
6/7/2011 1:08:03 PM
On 6/7/2011 7:59 AM, WLS wrote:
> Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
>> SeaMonkey 2.1 Release Candidate 2 is now available for free download [1]
>> on the SeaMonkey website. We encourage testers to get involved [2] in
>> discussing and reporting problems as well as further improving the
>> product.
>>
>> SeaMonkey 2.1 RC 2 includes a total of 21 languages, including en-US and
>> brings our backend up to date with the latest Gecko (Firefox) releases.
>> (Two new languages over what was in 2.1 RC 1, namely en-GB and tr)
>>
>> We have a targeted Release Date of June 10, 2011.
>>
>> This release candidate fixes the issue of our default themes being
>> marked incompatible on first launch for some users.
>>
>> It also, unfortunately has 2 known issues, that we feel we can fix for
>> final without requiring an additional RC.
>> * SeaMonkey version reports as 2.1pre instead of 2.1
>> * Built in (developer) extension "Debug & QA" is shipped erroneously.
>>
>> [1] http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.1rc2
>> [2] http://www.seamonkey-project.org/dev/get-involved
>>

> Reporting itself as 2.1pre instead of 2.1 must be the reason Lightning
> 1.0b4pre is now incompatible.
>
> The release is June 10th? I thought it was the 21st, and it will be nice
> to see it early.

21st is Firefox's 5's release date

This codebase (2.1) is based on Firefox 4.

We'll have a separate release matching Firefox 5, a few weeks after
their release.
0
Justin
6/7/2011 5:31:09 PM
Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
> On 6/7/2011 7:59 AM, WLS wrote:
>> Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
>>> SeaMonkey 2.1 Release Candidate 2 is now available for free download [1]
>>> on the SeaMonkey website. We encourage testers to get involved [2] in
>>> discussing and reporting problems as well as further improving the
>>> product.
>>>
>>> SeaMonkey 2.1 RC 2 includes a total of 21 languages, including en-US and
>>> brings our backend up to date with the latest Gecko (Firefox) releases.
>>> (Two new languages over what was in 2.1 RC 1, namely en-GB and tr)
>>>
>>> We have a targeted Release Date of June 10, 2011.
>>>
>>> This release candidate fixes the issue of our default themes being
>>> marked incompatible on first launch for some users.
>>>
>>> It also, unfortunately has 2 known issues, that we feel we can fix for
>>> final without requiring an additional RC.
>>> * SeaMonkey version reports as 2.1pre instead of 2.1
>>> * Built in (developer) extension "Debug & QA" is shipped erroneously.
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.1rc2
>>> [2] http://www.seamonkey-project.org/dev/get-involved
>>>

>> Reporting itself as 2.1pre instead of 2.1 must be the reason Lightning
>> 1.0b4pre is now incompatible.
>>
>> The release is June 10th? I thought it was the 21st, and it will be nice
>> to see it early.
>
> 21st is Firefox's 5's release date
>
> This codebase (2.1) is based on Firefox 4.
>
> We'll have a separate release matching Firefox 5, a few weeks after
> their release.

That's right the release date for SeaMonkey was TBD. Nice to see it
being finalized.

Fixed my Lightning incompatibility by changing this setting.

extensions.checkCompatibility.2.1pre;false
0
WLS
6/7/2011 5:48:06 PM
Tue, 07 Jun 2011 13:31:09 -0400, /Justin Wood (Callek)/:

> 21st is Firefox's 5's release date
>
> This codebase (2.1) is based on Firefox 4.
>
> We'll have a separate release matching Firefox 5, a few weeks after
> their release.

Ah, nice to hear SeaMonkey will catch up with newer Geckos sooner
than usual.

--
Stanimir
0

> Ah, nice to hear SeaMonkey will catch up with newer Geckos sooner
> than usual.

Hmm... interesting idea, let's check:

Before being discontinued, Mozilla Application Suite dictated the Gecko
version numbers.  So, Gecko 1.8 is the first Firefox-launched version.
Prior to that, Firefox might sometimes actually lag behind MAS.
Table form for easier reading:

Gecko	FF Ver.	FF Launch	SM Ver	SM Launch	Lag
1.8	1.5	2005-11-29	1.0	2006-01-30	2 months
1.8.1	2.0	2006-10-24	1.1	2007-01-18	3 months
1.9	3.0	2008-06-17	skipped			(16 months)
1.9.1	3.5	2009-06-30	2.0	2009-10-27	4 months
1.9.2	3.6	2010-01-21	skipped			(15 months)
2.0	4.0	2011-03-22	2.1	2011-06-10	3 months

So: twice in a row now, Seamonkey had long development cycles. These
long development cycles even skipped a Gecko version, but on final
release, they weren't much more outdated than on previous releases.

2.0 had the major work of converting from XPFE to Toolkit, a major
undertaking from a small team. 2.1 is another major effort to bring it
to near-feature-parity with Firefox, with other important parts of the
backend being migrated to Firefox-based structures (Places, anyone?).

My expectation for the future is that, now that the innards are similar,
porting features from Firefox to Seamonkey shouldn't involve the long
development cycles we have endured for the past three years.

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

-=-=-
.... Sent from my fax machine.
MCBastos
6/8/2011 2:38:25 PM
Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
> SeaMonkey 2.1 Release Candidate 2 is now available for free download [1]
> on the SeaMonkey website. We encourage testers to get involved [2] in
> discussing and reporting problems as well as further improving the product.

Thanks, Justin. I'm sorry that I do not have time to test, but I am looking
forward to the release.

Come the day, are there instructions somewhere on how to upgrade to 2.1 using an
existing 2.0 profile?

--
David Wilkinson
0
David Wilkinson schrieb:
> Come the day, are there instructions somewhere on how to upgrade to 2.1
> using an existing 2.0 profile?

The instruction are to install 2.1 and be done. The only additional info
you need is in the release notes under "Known Issues": Never go back to
2.0 again once you ran a profile with 2.1 as going back will destroy the
History.

Robert Kaiser

--
Note that any statements of mine - no matter how passionate - are never
meant to be offensive but very often as food for thought or possible
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> David Wilkinson schrieb:
>> Come the day, are there instructions somewhere on how to upgrade to 2.1
>> using an existing 2.0 profile?
>
> The instruction are to install 2.1 and be done. The only additional info
> you need is in the release notes under "Known Issues": Never go back to
> 2.0 again once you ran a profile with 2.1 as going back will destroy the
> History.
>
> Robert Kaiser

Robert, I'm having a "thick" day (again).

Are you suggesting that 2.1 will operate on what was the 2.0 profile,
rather than making a copy (like 2.0 did of the 1.x profile)??

--
Daniel
0
Daniel wrote:

> Are you suggesting that 2.1 will operate on what was the 2.0 profile,
> rather than making a copy (like 2.0 did of the 1.x profile)??

This is correct. 2.0 had to make a copy because it uss the Toolkit
profile manager, while 1.x used the XPFE profile manager.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.
0
Neil wrote:
> Daniel wrote:
>
>> Are you suggesting that 2.1 will operate on what was the 2.0 profile,
>> rather than making a copy (like 2.0 did of the 1.x profile)??
>
> This is correct. 2.0 had to make a copy because it uss the Toolkit
> profile manager, while 1.x used the XPFE profile manager.

Thanks for the prompt reply, Neil.

--
Daniel
0
Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
> SeaMonkey 2.1 Release Candidate 2 is now available for free download [1]
> on the SeaMonkey website. We encourage testers to get involved [2] in
> discussing and reporting problems as well as further improving the product.

Thanks, Justin.

Sorry I don't have time to test, but looking forward to the release.

Are there instructions anywhere on how to upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1, keeping the
same profile?

--
David Wilkinson
0
> David Wilkinson schrieb:
>> Come the day, are there instructions somewhere on how to upgrade to 2.1
>> using an existing 2.0 profile?
>
> The instruction are to install 2.1 and be done. The only additional info
> you need is in the release notes under "Known Issues": Never go back to
> 2.0 again once you ran a profile with 2.1 as going back will destroy the
> History.

There's also an issue of Javascript Debugger sometimes being reported as
"not compatible with Seamonkey 2.1." The procedure to fix it is also on
the "Known Issues" of the Release Notes.

For myself, the only reason I'm not using 2.1 already is that some
extensions I use have yet to release updated versions -- a couple, like
Enigmail, are on record to say they will only do so after 2.1 final is
released.

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

-=-=-
.... Sent from my Olivetti Praxis 20.
MCBastos
6/9/2011 3:24:10 PM
MCBastos wrote:
> There's also an issue of Javascript Debugger sometimes being reported as
> "not compatible with Seamonkey 2.1." The procedure to fix it is also on
> the "Known Issues" of the Release Notes.

Not anymore. I removed it because it won't happen anymore now that a
newer, compatible version is available from AMO.

HTH

Jens

--
Jens Hatlak <http://jens.hatlak.de/>
SeaMonkey Trunk Tracker <http://smtt.blogspot.com/>

SeaMonkey 2.1 release candidate 2 available for OS/2
Hi, I've uploaded the second release candidate for the upcoming SeaMonkey 2.1. There were no OS/2 specific changes compared to the recently published release candidate 1. However, it should contain a few cross- platform fixes for bugs present in the first one. You can get it from here: http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/releases/2.1rc2/contrib/seamonkey-2.1rc2.en-US.os2.zip BTW (from https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey:Release_Process:2.1rc2) "Version Number 'pre' It was pointed out after our mirror push that the version 2.1rc2 reports as is 2.1p...

SeaMonkey 1.1.18 vs SeaMonkey 2.1 (if/when 2.1 is released)
I will clearly state that I am not a computer whiz...thus, I have a number of concerns regarding SeaMonkey 2.0 installation on my system. I have been reading the many SeaMonkey 2.0 messages on this newsgroup with some concern about my ability to fix the problems that could occur with the installation of 2.0. It seems that the move from 1.1.18 to 2.0 is not happening without a number of glitches along the way. Thus, in light of what I have read, I am wondering if it would wise for me to wait for a future release of SeaMonkey before upgrading my system...I suppose I am hoping tha...

SeaMonkey 2.1 release candidate 1 available for OS/2
Hi, I've uploaded the first release candidate for the upcoming SeaMonkey 2.1. There were no OS/2 specific changes compared to the recently published beta 3. However, it should contain cross-platform fixes for bugs present in the beta. You can get it from here: http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/releases/2.1rc1/contrib/seamonkey-2.1rc1.en-US.os2.zip Have fun, Walter ...

Firefox Release Candidate and Release Candidate 2 #2
Name: William E. Ward III Email: willward999atyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox Release Candidate and Release Candidate 2 Comments: Browser is stable using 12 Tabs, no degrading of speed noticed. Browser is noticeably faster than IE 7, Safari, and Firefox the older, as Wall Street Journal's Walter Mossberg's 06/05/08 article reported. Like the larger round "Go Back" key upper left corner. Thank you for your excellent work. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://h...

updated 1.2.2 to 2.0.1 but still shows 1.2.2
I just reinstalled the SBS 6 with the NW6 SP3 Overly cd and i put web access, iprint, dhcp/dns, naas on the initial install. I then proceded to upgrade edir to 8.7.1 ( i updated jvm and the other stuff that 8.7.1 required first) and everything went great. I then udated imanager from 1.2.2. to 2.0.1 and the install went as expected no errors or anything. Here is the problem when i surf to iManager with internet exploder 6 it shows me i am using 1.2.2. I read the instructions and they talk about some migrating but the direction don't match imanager 1.2.2 (i assume they are reffe...

SeaMonkey 2.1 Alpha 2 Released
SeaMonkey 2.1 Alpha 2, the second preview milestone on the way to the future of Mozilla's SeaMonkey Internet suite, is now available for free download. Please note that this pre-release version is still intended for developers and testers only. As always, we appreciate any feedback you may have and encourage users to help us by filing bugs. The new improvements of this developer preview compared to the last one include: - New add-ons manager. - WebM video support.< - Customizable toolbar elements now include Search, Folder Location and Mail Views on the messaging as ...

L10n and SeaMonkey 2 Alpha 1 #2
Hi I'm not sure if it there the right place to post, can you redirect me so please. in french translation for mail account preference There is something wrong in the am-server.xul line 330 with: <checkbox hidefor="pop3,nntp,movemail" wsm_persist="true" id="imap.cleanupInboxOnExit" label="&expungeOnExit.label;" accesskey="&expungeOnExit.accesskey;" prefattribute="value" prefstring="mail.server.%serverkey%.cleanup_inbox_on_exit&...

SeaMonkey 2.0 Release Candidate 2
SeaMonkey 2.0 Release Candidate 2 is now available for free download on the SeaMonkey website. We encourage testers to get involved in discussing and reporting problems as well as further improving the product. Full news article: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/news#2009-10-19 Downloads for all available platforms and languages: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.0rc2 Release notes (preliminary ones for 2.0, RCs don't get separate relnotes): http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.0 System Requirements: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/2.0/sys...

How to upgrade from 2.1.1 to 2.1.2?
I have 2.1.1 wokring fine and I have spent a lot of time making it just right but I want to make sure I have the latest & greatest so I am trying to get 2.1.2 to work so I can upgrade. When I try to set-up 2.1.2 I get a few errors such as: Could Not Load Skin: ~/Portals/_default/Skins/_default/admin.ascx Error: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.40607\Temporary ASP.NET Files\dnn212\295dc47c\1861dacc\3z6nxty1.0.vb(159): error BC30560: 'admin_ascx' is ambiguous in the namespace 'ASP'. Is there a simple way to upgrade from 2.1.1 to 2.1.2? RDD Iff you have not made any cha...

1.5.0.10/2.0.0.2 release update... respinning for 2.0.0.2 rc5, new target release date Tue. 2/27
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------050707070507020409050603 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit A new blocker was discovered recently what will require a respin for Firefox 2.0.0.2: Bug 370521 <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=370521> -- TextArea not firing onchange event (edit <javascript:toggleField('summary');>) was caused by the checkin for: Bug 357684 <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=357684> -- onchange on ...

Re: SeaMonkey 2.1 Release Candidate 1 Available for testing
SeaMonkey 2.1 Release Candidate 1 is now available for free download [1] on the SeaMonkey website. We encourage testers to get involved [2] in discussing and reporting problems as well as further improving the product. SeaMonkey 2.1 RC 1 includes a total of 19 languages, including en-US and brings our backend up to date with the latest Gecko (Firefox) releases. We have a targeted Release Date of May 19, 2011. [1] http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.1rc1 [2] http://www.seamonkey-project.org/dev/get-involved -- ~Justin Wood (Callek) On 05/12/2011 08:12 PM, Justin W...

SeaMonkey 2.2 #2
I have just re-installed 2.0.14 and it works a treat. Don't mess with wot ain't broke. D. ...

From 2.1.2 to 3.1 or 2.1.2 to 3.0.13 to 3.1

Same profile in Seamonkey 2.4.1 and Seamonkey 2.6.1 ?
Hi, I will switch a computer from windows to linux and from Seamonkey 2.6.1 to Seamonkey 2.4.1 (I don't know why Ubuntu only have 2.6.1 on Precise alpha release). I think there no big differences between these two releases that will bring bug into profile. Am I false? On my computer I directly use Seamonkey from Mozilla, on that computer I don't want to have work, so I only keep Ubuntu repositories. -- Sorry for possible mistakes in English! http://pasdenom.info/ St�phane Gr�goire wrote: > Hi, > > I will switch a computer from windows to linux and...

Web resources about - SeaMonkey 2.1 Release Candidate 2 - mozilla.dev.l10n

The Hawaiian Seamonkey
Diving, eating, gardening, loving the Big Island of Hawaii

The SeaMonkey® Project
The SeaMonkey project is a community effort to develop the SeaMonkeyall-in-one internet application suite (see below).Such a software suite was ...

SeaMonkey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
cross-platform Internet suite . It is the continuation of the former Mozilla Application Suite , based on the same source code. Core Mozilla ...

Review: SeaMonkey 1.1.8 for the Mac
SeaMonkey 1.1.8, the Mozilla Foundation's all-in-one Internet application, combines browsing, e-mail, HTML editing, and IRC chat.

SeaMonkey 2.3 Beta 1 arrives for testing
Based on the same Gecko browser engine as Firefox 6, SeaMonkey 2.3 Beta 1 has been released for testing. It offers improvements to WebGL that ...

SeaMonkey Offers Browser, E-Mail, and Chat
... resuscitated a group of Internet tools built by Netscapewhose spin-off, Mozilla, brought out the popular Firefox Web browser. Renamed SeaMonkey ...

SeaMonkey, Mozilla's all-in-one Internet suite, releases new beta
The SeaMonkey Project has released SeaMonkey 2.1 Beta 3 , a version that makes a lot of new functionality available to a wide audience for the ...

SeaMonkey review
Browse the web, work with mail, chat in IRC and edit HTML

SeaMonkey 2.33
... advanced e-mail, newsgroup and feed client, IRC chat, and HTML editing made simple, all your Internet needs in one application. The SeaMonkey ...

Seamonkey 1.1 Released
stuuf writes "Version 1.1 of the Seamonkey Internet Application Suite is now available, with quite a few improvements over the 1.0 series. Some ...