SeaMonkey 2 Alpha 2 and L10n

Hi localizers,

Unfortunately, we couldn't get our download manager and password manager
replacements for SeaMonkey 2 Alpha 2, so we will once again release this
alpha without localized builds. Once again, I'd like to offer
experimental language packs though, running language packs from
comm-central-l10n through my script to stick the en-US files for
download and password manager in and get some form of working language
packs for testing.

We're not expecting string changes in suite/ for the next few days until
we will probably cut Alpha 2 , with the possible exception of bug
463504, which adds the new certificate error page from Firefox 3.1 to
SeaMonkey 2 as well, with almost identical strings (the one different
string is the same as one from the current netErrorApp.dtd that will be
removed from suite/ in the process).
We will take some state of post-1.9.1b2 core so if some string change
lands there, it might affect us (though I don't think there are
significant changes planned there for the next few days).

When we will tag and create the a2 builds, probably sometime next week,
I'll closely watch http://l10n.mozilla.org/dashboard/?tree=sea20x and
SeaMonkey's comm-central-l10n directory on FTP, and as I don't expect
any string changes between tagging and the next nightlies, I'll take all
langpacks for those next nightlies that get built and where dashboard is
green or orange, run those langpacks through my script and test the
results on a 2.0a2 candidate build.
If browser, mail, prefs and add-ons windows work and look localized,
I'll upload the langpacks for testing into the candidate directory.
If the respective localizers don't veto releasing them here, they'll
also end up as experimental langpacks in the release directory and on
the webpages later, just like we had it for Alpha 1.

I hope this process is acceptable and gets you more testing of your
work, so that we can get high-quality localizations for SeaMonkey 2. Of
course, this process doesn't scale too well, but for further releases,
we should get automated and fully working L10n builds and langpacks in
any case.

Note that SeaMonkey L10n will switch to the l10n-mozilla-1.9.1
repositories once 1.9.1 and -central code starts to diverge, last-minut
L10n updates for SeaMonkey 2 Alpha 2 after that point (probably some
time next Monday) will need to be made on the 1.9.1 L10n repos.

Robert Kaiser
0
Robert
11/28/2008 2:17:55 PM
mozilla.dev.l10n 3875 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Robert Kaiser wrote:
> We're not expecting string changes in suite/ for the next few days until
> we will probably cut Alpha 2 , with the possible exception of bug
> 463504, which adds the new certificate error page from Firefox 3.1 to
> SeaMonkey 2 as well, with almost identical strings (the one different
> string is the same as one from the current netErrorApp.dtd that will be
> removed from suite/ in the process).

Sorry, I forgot about another bug that had been waiting in the queue for
a bit and which we decided should get alpha coverage - bug 453797 just
landed today with some changes to
suite/installer/windows/custom.properties - this should really be the
last change with L10n impact for alpha 2 though.

So, esp. if you have already opted in for Thunderbird 3.0b1 with your
locale, please update your L10n repository to make
http://l10n.mozilla.org/dashboard/?tree=sea20x green and we can get you
an experimenral langpack up for SeaMonkey 2.0a2.

Robert Kaiser
0
Robert
12/1/2008 12:03:19 PM
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> When we will tag and create the a2 builds, probably sometime next week,
> I'll closely watch http://l10n.mozilla.org/dashboard/?tree=sea20x and
> SeaMonkey's comm-central-l10n directory on FTP, and as I don't expect
> any string changes between tagging and the next nightlies, I'll take all
> langpacks for those next nightlies that get built and where dashboard is
> green or orange, run those langpacks through my script and test the
> results on a 2.0a2 candidate build.
> If browser, mail, prefs and add-ons windows work and look localized,
> I'll upload the langpacks for testing into the candidate directory.
> If the respective localizers don't veto releasing them here, they'll
> also end up as experimental langpacks in the release directory and on
> the webpages later, just like we had it for Alpha 1.

OK, forget this plan - 1.9.1 branching, Axel and me fail to cooperate
and so we are screwed and probably won't have those experimental
langpacks after all. With luck, I'm able to construct a German one
somehow, with even more luck I'll be able to do an undefined number of
others, but I wouldn't rely on that.

Robert Kaiser
0
Robert
12/2/2008 5:48:36 PM
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> Robert Kaiser wrote:
>> When we will tag and create the a2 builds, probably sometime next week,
>> I'll closely watch http://l10n.mozilla.org/dashboard/?tree=sea20x and
>> SeaMonkey's comm-central-l10n directory on FTP, and as I don't expect
>> any string changes between tagging and the next nightlies, I'll take all
>> langpacks for those next nightlies that get built and where dashboard is
>> green or orange, run those langpacks through my script and test the
>> results on a 2.0a2 candidate build.
>> If browser, mail, prefs and add-ons windows work and look localized,
>> I'll upload the langpacks for testing into the candidate directory.
>> If the respective localizers don't veto releasing them here, they'll
>> also end up as experimental langpacks in the release directory and on
>> the webpages later, just like we had it for Alpha 1.
>
> OK, forget this plan - 1.9.1 branching, Axel and me fail to cooperate
> and so we are screwed and probably won't have those experimental
> langpacks after all. With luck, I'm able to construct a German one
> somehow, with even more luck I'll be able to do an undefined number of
> others, but I wouldn't rely on that.

Looks like we all finally found together in the last moments :)

So, the original plan stand again. SeaMonkey 2 Alpha 2 has been tagged,
if your locale is green on
http://l10n.mozilla.org/dashboard/?tree=sea20x and a langpack gets
created for the first 2.0a3 nightlies (which I actually just started a
build run for), then you're in for the first step. :)

Robert Kaiser
0
Robert
12/2/2008 8:51:21 PM
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> Robert Kaiser wrote:
>> When we will tag and create the a2 builds, probably sometime next week,
>> I'll closely watch http://l10n.mozilla.org/dashboard/?tree=sea20x and
>> SeaMonkey's comm-central-l10n directory on FTP, and as I don't expect
>> any string changes between tagging and the next nightlies, I'll take all
>> langpacks for those next nightlies that get built and where dashboard is
>> green or orange, run those langpacks through my script and test the
>> results on a 2.0a2 candidate build.
>> If browser, mail, prefs and add-ons windows work and look localized,
>> I'll upload the langpacks for testing into the candidate directory.
>> If the respective localizers don't veto releasing them here, they'll
>> also end up as experimental langpacks in the release directory and on
>> the webpages later, just like we had it for Alpha 1.
>
> OK, forget this plan - 1.9.1 branching, Axel and me fail to cooperate
> and so we are screwed and probably won't have those experimental
> langpacks after all. With luck, I'm able to construct a German one
> somehow, with even more luck I'll be able to do an undefined number of
> others, but I wouldn't rely on that.

Triggered 1.9.1 based builds on the dashboard, as far as I could.

Please read my announcement post on the opening of the 1.9.1 repos
before doing changes on the 1.9.1 repos.

Axel
0
Axel
12/2/2008 8:52:06 PM
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> When we will tag and create the a2 builds, probably sometime next week,
> I'll closely watch http://l10n.mozilla.org/dashboard/?tree=sea20x and
> SeaMonkey's comm-central-l10n directory on FTP, and as I don't expect
> any string changes between tagging and the next nightlies, I'll take all
> langpacks for those next nightlies that get built and where dashboard is
> green or orange, run those langpacks through my script and test the
> results on a 2.0a2 candidate build.

The langpacks for the following locales have made it that far:
cs, de, es-ES, fr, ka, lt, nl, pt-PT, ru, sk, sv-SE

Let's see how many make it through the next step:

> If browser, mail, prefs and add-ons windows work and look localized,
> I'll upload the langpacks for testing into the candidate directory.

I'll look into this in the next days and let you know.

Robert Kaiser
0
Robert
12/3/2008 2:51:55 AM
Just FYI:

Japanese locales (ja/ja-JP-mac) are not up-to-date and not in all-locales
(locales list to be built) but we have nightly langpack for our locales:
http://ftp-developer.mozilla-japan.org/pub/mozilla-japan/seamonkey/nightly/langpack/
# missing entities are merged from en-US ones

If you want to use Seamonkey 2.0a2 in Japanese, use them.

Thanks.

Robert Kaiser wrote:
> Robert Kaiser wrote:
>> When we will tag and create the a2 builds, probably sometime next week,
>> I'll closely watch http://l10n.mozilla.org/dashboard/?tree=sea20x and
>> SeaMonkey's comm-central-l10n directory on FTP, and as I don't expect
>> any string changes between tagging and the next nightlies, I'll take all
>> langpacks for those next nightlies that get built and where dashboard is
>> green or orange, run those langpacks through my script and test the
>> results on a 2.0a2 candidate build.
>
> The langpacks for the following locales have made it that far:
> cs, de, es-ES, fr, ka, lt, nl, pt-PT, ru, sk, sv-SE
>
> Let's see how many make it through the next step:
>
>> If browser, mail, prefs and add-ons windows work and look localized,
>> I'll upload the langpacks for testing into the candidate directory.
>
> I'll look into this in the next days and let you know.
>
> Robert Kaiser

dynamis
12/3/2008 6:14:32 AM
dynamis wrote:
> Just FYI:
>
> Japanese locales (ja/ja-JP-mac) are not up-to-date and not in all-locales
> (locales list to be built) but we have nightly langpack for our locales:
> http://ftp-developer.mozilla-japan.org/pub/mozilla-japan/seamonkey/nightly/langpack/
> # missing entities are merged from en-US ones
>
> If you want to use Seamonkey 2.0a2 in Japanese, use them.

Thanks for the work, and I hope we'll have Japanese in all-locales and
as parts of the automated L10n build stuff soon, but I'd like to only
take langpacks for this at the moment that were generated by our L10n
build machines originally, as this is as much a test of our systems as
of the L10n work itself.
Please offer the langpack to your local community though and get as much
testing as possible, so we can have the best Japanese L10n possible in
the tree in the future. I hope for Alpha 3 we can offer L10n builds, but
this (still) mainly depends on the download and password manager work.

Robert Kaiser
0
Robert
12/3/2008 1:39:34 PM
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> The langpacks for the following locales have made it that far:
> cs, de, es-ES, fr, ka, lt, nl, pt-PT, ru, sk, sv-SE
>
> Let's see how many make it through the next step:
>
>> If browser, mail, prefs and add-ons windows work and look localized,
>> I'll upload the langpacks for testing into the candidate directory.

cs: XML error in MailNews start.xhtml, but can be taken
de: OK
es-ES: OK
fr: OK
ka: XML error in MailNews start.xhtml, but can be taken
lt: OK
nl: OK
pt-PT: OK
ru: OK
sk: OK
sv-SE: OK

Looks like all of those can go up to the Mozilla servers!
Good job, people!

For the comments: The start.xhtml XML error is because you're still
using an entity for relnotes that doesn't exist any more, please look at
how this string looks now in en-US and copy the <a> tag there.
I don't want to go back and repackage them again, this is just an alpha
and can have minor glitches, but please fix this for the next release.

The language packs are now available for candidate testing at
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/nightly/2.0a2-candidates/build1/langpack/

If the respective localizers don't veto releasing them here, they'll
also end up as experimental langpacks in the release directory and on
the webpages later, just like we had it for Alpha 1.

(As said before, remember that download manager and password manager are
expected to be untranslated and will be replaced by localizable
components before beta - but they are usable with those language packs
even though they stay in US English with them.)

Robert Kaiser
0
Robert