New strings Close Tabs and Move Tabs on Pontoon

Hi,

there are the two new strings "Close Tabs" and "Move Tabs" for Firefox 
project on Pontoon. They are in browser/browser/tabContextMenu.ftl and 
support plural rules.

A question: According to the localization note there is a variable 
$tabCount but it is not in the strings. How will these strings look in 
the end? Where will the variable appear in the string? In Sorbian the 
*other form* is used only when there is any number or indeterminate 
numeral (much, few, a lot of, etc.).


Thanks,

Michael

0
Michael
7/22/2020 4:51:58 PM
mozilla.dev.l10n 3874 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

4 Replies
27 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 44

Hi Michael,

This is how that string looks like in English (Fluent syntax).

tab-context-close-tabs =
    .label =
        { $tabCount ->
            [1] Close Tab
           *[other] Close Tabs
        }
    .accesskey = C

The plural in the label depends on the variable `$tabCount`, although
that's not visible in normal Pontoon UI. If you switch to the advanced
Fluent mode, by clicking the FTL button in the left bottom corner, and
copy the en-US source with COPY, you'll see the full syntax that I
pasted here.

This string is a "1 vs many" scenario. By default, Pontoon adds all
the plural forms your language has, plus "1" (literally 1, not the
CLDR category "one")

Here's how to approach this translation:
1) If your language needs the number of tabs, you can add $tabCount in
your translations, and keep all the forms Pontoon suggests.
2) If you can translate just "Close Tab" and "Close Tabs", without
adding the actual number, then the easiest way is to COPY English,
then translate the available fields. At that point you'll have 1,
other, and accesskey like English.

Francesco

Il giorno mer 22 lug 2020 alle ore 18:55 Michael Wolf
<milupo@sorbzilla.de> ha scritto:
>
> Hi,
>
> there are the two new strings "Close Tabs" and "Move Tabs" for Firefox
> project on Pontoon. They are in browser/browser/tabContextMenu.ftl and
> support plural rules.
>
> A question: According to the localization note there is a variable
> $tabCount but it is not in the strings. How will these strings look in
> the end? Where will the variable appear in the string? In Sorbian the
> *other form* is used only when there is any number or indeterminate
> numeral (much, few, a lot of, etc.).
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael
>
> _______________________________________________
> dev-l10n mailing list
> dev-l10n@lists.mozilla.org
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
0
Francesco
7/22/2020 5:10:30 PM
Francesco Lodolo schrieb:
> Hi Michael,
> 
> This is how that string looks like in English (Fluent syntax).
> 
> tab-context-close-tabs =
>      .label =
>          { $tabCount ->
>              [1] Close Tab
>             *[other] Close Tabs
>          }
>      .accesskey = C
> 
> The plural in the label depends on the variable `$tabCount`, although
> that's not visible in normal Pontoon UI. If you switch to the advanced
> Fluent mode, by clicking the FTL button in the left bottom corner, and
> copy the en-US source with COPY, you'll see the full syntax that I
> pasted here.

Hi Francesco,

thank you for your quick reply.

Sorry, I didn't fully understand.

With all plural forms, the Sorbian strings would result in:

Close $tabCount tabs

Sorbian has another word order:

$tabCount tabs close

$tabCount rajtark začinić (singular)
$tabCount rajtarkaj začinić (two)
$tabCount rajtarki začinić (few)
$tabCount rajtark*ow* začinić (other)

If $tabCount is not used so the other form cannot be used, it is used 
the few form instead. Therefore I asked you. Then the first letter of 
the string can be in uppercase. Otherwise there is no uppercase because 
the variable starts the string.

Rajtark začinić (singular)
Rajtarkaj začinić (two)
Rajtarki začinić (few)
Rajtark*i* rajtarkow začinić (few)


So, are the strings used with variable or without variable?


Thanks,

Michael


0
Michael
7/22/2020 5:32:22 PM
The strings use the variable only if you add it explicitly to your
translation, it's not added implicitly.

In Lower Sorbian, can you say "Close Tab" (for 1 tab), and "Close
Tabs" (for a generic number of tabs), without specifying the number?
Based on previous translations, I assume this would be a valid
translation:

tab-context-close-tabs =3D
    .label =3D
        { $tabCount ->
            [1] Rejtarik zacyni=C5=9B
           *[other] Rejtariki zacyni=C5=9B
        }
    .accesskey =3D R

If you right click on a single tab, it will show "Rejtarik zacyni=C5=9B",
if there are more tab selected (via SHIFT+click), it will show
"Rejtariki zacyni=C5=9B".


Il giorno mer 22 lug 2020 alle ore 19:35 Michael Wolf
<milupo@sorbzilla.de> ha scritto:
>
> Francesco Lodolo schrieb:
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > This is how that string looks like in English (Fluent syntax).
> >
> > tab-context-close-tabs =3D
> >      .label =3D
> >          { $tabCount ->
> >              [1] Close Tab
> >             *[other] Close Tabs
> >          }
> >      .accesskey =3D C
> >
> > The plural in the label depends on the variable `$tabCount`, although
> > that's not visible in normal Pontoon UI. If you switch to the advanced
> > Fluent mode, by clicking the FTL button in the left bottom corner, and
> > copy the en-US source with COPY, you'll see the full syntax that I
> > pasted here.
>
> Hi Francesco,
>
> thank you for your quick reply.
>
> Sorry, I didn't fully understand.
>
> With all plural forms, the Sorbian strings would result in:
>
> Close $tabCount tabs
>
> Sorbian has another word order:
>
> $tabCount tabs close
>
> $tabCount rajtark za=C4=8Dini=C4=87 (singular)
> $tabCount rajtarkaj za=C4=8Dini=C4=87 (two)
> $tabCount rajtarki za=C4=8Dini=C4=87 (few)
> $tabCount rajtark*ow* za=C4=8Dini=C4=87 (other)
>
> If $tabCount is not used so the other form cannot be used, it is used
> the few form instead. Therefore I asked you. Then the first letter of
> the string can be in uppercase. Otherwise there is no uppercase because
> the variable starts the string.
>
> Rajtark za=C4=8Dini=C4=87 (singular)
> Rajtarkaj za=C4=8Dini=C4=87 (two)
> Rajtarki za=C4=8Dini=C4=87 (few)
> Rajtark*i* rajtarkow za=C4=8Dini=C4=87 (few)
>
>
> So, are the strings used with variable or without variable?
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> dev-l10n mailing list
> dev-l10n@lists.mozilla.org
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-l10n
0
Francesco
7/22/2020 5:57:50 PM
Francesco Lodolo schrieb:
> The strings use the variable only if you add it explicitly to your
> translation, it's not added implicitly.

Oh, that would be fine. By the way, I think I found the place where 
these strings are shown - in the tab context menu dependent on the 
number of selected tabs. I translated into Upper Sorbian with other form 
because I thought first the variable is always used. I think it would be 
fine and useful for a user to know the number of tabs to be closed or 
moved. A string with variable used is this one:

Send Tab to Device;Send #1 Tabs to Device

Also in the tab context menu.

> 
> In Lower Sorbian, can you say "Close Tab" (for 1 tab), and "Close
> Tabs" (for a generic number of tabs), without specifying the number?

Even the two form. Only the other form cannot be used without any 
numeral (number or intederminate numeral).


Thank you very much once more.


Michael


0
Michael
7/22/2020 6:12:23 PM
Reply: