[ANNOUNCE] Firefox 4 and Firefox Mobile (Fennec) 4 getting ready on l10n-central.

Hi,

this is a call out for all localizers who have been waiting for Firefox
4 (desktop and mobile) to get stable.

Stable we are, at least as stable as it gets. Strings are frozen for
both applications, up to nits around the current betas, update 7 for
desktop, update 2 for mobile.

As you probably seen from posts on planet and elsewhere, Firefox 4 and
in particular Gecko 2 carries a ton of really cool stuff. But not all is
going as planned, so we're throwing plans away and do new ones.

* We're not going to make any plans depending on the 2.0 branch *

That branch is going to come, but not in time. Thus, we're going to get
our localizations in shape to ship on l10n-central, now. When we branch,
we'll branch, and do our best to make that as little pain as we can.

For that, we'll help you now to get a proper setup. Not only for now,
but also such that we'll know enough about your setup that once we
branch for 2.0, we can help you quickly then.

The team of helpers here is me, stas, and gandalf. Please try to reach
us on the irc channel #l10n, with your favorite client or via the http
interface mibbit,
https://www.mibbit.com/?url=irc://irc.mozilla.org/l10n. In our
experience, mail is insufficient. We'll experiment with facebook and
twitter, though. Contact details below.

Preparation work you can do:
- For windows folks, update your MozillaBuild,
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Developer_Guide/Build_Instructions/Windows_Prerequisites#MozillaBuild
- All other platforms, get a current version of Mercurial. 1.6.x is
current, independent of what your distro says ;-)

The executive summary is:

- your localization work is on l10n-central/ab-CD. If you're not already
working there, please ask for help.
- en-US strings are in mozilla-central, and mobile-browser for mobile.

If that's too quick for you, that's cool. Please drop by and get your
own guide, it's gonna be rather straight forward if we walk you through
from scratch. Debugging things that went wrong is a cumbersome
experience for all of us.

If you're a community member that would like to help, please drop a mail
to the three of us and Seth. We'll welcome your help gladly, but we
would like to bootstrap you with the plan before you jump in.

Thanks, and see you online

Axel

PS: Contact details:

irc: Pike, stas, gandalf, on #l10n. Please use the channel so that we
can distribute the load. This is the preferred channel.

twitter: axelhecht, 5tas, zbraniecki
fb: http://www.facebook.com/axel.hecht, http://www.facebook.com/stasm,
http://www.facebook.com/zbraniecki
0
Axel
10/17/2010 6:36:23 PM
mozilla.dev.l10n 3876 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Firefox OS 1.4 branched: 1.4: releases/gaia-l10n/v1_4, 2.0: /gaia-l10n
Hi, I've just branched the 1.4 efforts for Firefox OS. The /gaia-l10n repos you worked on for the past 12 weeks are now aiming at Firefox OS 2.0, for at least 6 weeks. Your work and fixes for 1.4 shall go to /releases/gaia-l10n/v1_4/. I've migrated your work for 1.4 onto those repositories, unless you're petercg or civas, you guys landed stuff on those repos, you'll figure it out. If you've pushed in the past hour, I might not have it. I'll follow up when I have pushed the update to en-US. Axel .... and I just pushed 2.0 to /gaia-l10n/en-US....

Firefox OS 1.4 branched
Hi, first of all, I'd love to get feedback. I'm sending posts about Firefox OS on a regular basis, but I don't see them making an impact on the translation state. Feedback? Send that my way. Anywho. The gaia code branched for 1.4 this Monday. For you guys, it means that all the developers want to work on 1.5, and stop changing strings on 1.4. That's not string freeze, that's March 28. But it's close. We need to see traction in /gaia-l10n/*. Like, I'm freakin out because I don't see traction. Picture Monty Python's dead parrot. http:/...

Firefox 4 #4
Firefox 4 runs good on Ubuntu. -- Just West Of Nowhere ...

Firefox 4 #4
Name: Stephen LaRusso Email: slarussoathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 4 Comments: Hi, I just read info on the new FF on nexus404.com/Blog/2009/12/24/firefox-4-ui-mockup-revealed. I am disappointed that Mozilla feels compelled to go down the same road as MS and Google regarding their interface. The 'Ribbon' is a thing best left to MS since they like messing up a good product, and I tried Chrome for about 10 minutes and then dropped it because I disliked the interface, not user friendly. I will stick with FF 3.5.6 until any future version beyond 4 ...

Firefox Aurora L10n Report #4
Hello localizers! Thank you all for your great work with Firefox 25 and 26. Here's an outline of what is currently in Aurora this cycle (27) and what we accomplished together last cycle: This cycle (28 October - 10 December) Key dates include: - Beta sign offs must be completed before 02 December. - Aurora sign offs must be completed before 10 December. - Firefox 26 releases 10 December. Features: - Approximately 145 new strings were added to Aurora desktop, 37 for Aurora mobile. - Many of the new desktop strings cover the addition of devtool...

every time you open firefox beta 4 browser it opens start pages for beta 4,auto pager, x marks, stumble upon. beta 4 will not let me pick home page, i use igoogle, browser set only to firefox, not goo
Name: joseph goebel Email: joe-3atcomcastdotnet Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: every time you open firefox beta 4 browser it opens start pages for beta 4,auto pager, x marks, stumble upon. beta 4 will not let me pick home page, i use igoogle, browser set only to firefox, not good. Comments: all noted above. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.4; en-US; rv:1.9.1b4) Gecko/20090423 Firefox/3.5b4 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provid...

Mobile Firefox 4 (Fennec) Release Schedule
Dear Mobile Firefox Localizers: The Mobile development team is pushing through its remaining blockers to get us close to a release in the coming weeks. Here is a schedule that I know of for you to review: Mobile Firefox 4 Beta 4 -- Top Goals: Performance, Stability, Compatibility, Usability * Today (TENTATIVE) - Wed, Jan 26: "go to build" B4 builds * Mon, Jan 31: earliest possible launch Mobile Beta 5 -- Top Goals: Places changes * Feb 8 - Code Freeze * Feb 10 - Go to build * Feb 15 - earliest possible launch Mobile Release Candidate 1 ...

Firefox 4.0
Hi Everyone, This email plans out our final push to complete all localization work as we close in on final release for Firefox 4. I have included 1. a dashboard link showing current status, 2. Mozilla wiki link to release dates for you to follow, 3. Bugzilla link to the productization tracker for Firefox 4, 4. Web dashboard link and a mention to all the work Pascal C is managing for webl10n for Firefox4. Although we are feature frozen and no more string changes should land, it is likely that a small number of changes will happen between now and final release...

Firefox Beta 4 #4
Name: Rob Roth Email: robrothattampabaydotrrdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox Beta 4 Comments: Where are the Bookmarks stored? I just installed a new version and all my bookmarks are gone. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b5) Gecko/2008032620 Firefox/3.0b5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

firefox beta 4 #4
Name: Sands Fish Email: sandsfishatgmaildotcom Product: Other (please state) Summary: firefox beta 4 Comments: clicking on an entry in google calendar to get more information brings you to a page without the main content panel displayed. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.4; en-US; rv:1.9b4) Gecko/2008030317 Firefox/3.0b4 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Firefox 4 beta 4
Name: Sergio Email: sdotmolteniattindotit Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 4 beta 4 Comments: In mac os x Italian version 10.5.8, the last beta version run but when in the address bar I write a web address it's dont' load Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10_5_8; it-it) AppleWebKit/533.17.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.1 Safari/533.17.8 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

firefox 4.0 #4
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: firefox 4.0 Comments: incompatibilidade com avg?? incompatibilidade com modulo banco brasil Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; pt-BR; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Firefox beta 4 #4
Name: Manuel Email: I_am_mcatlivedotca Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Firefox beta 4 Comments: I would like you to reintegrate the "clear" or "clear all" button on the downloads tab because now i must right click to do it which could get tedious...if its is possible plz put it back Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9b4) Gecko/2008030714 Firefox/3.0b4 ...

Firefox 4 Beta 4
Name: John Puskar Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Firefox 4 Beta 4 Comments: There's some weirdness in the bottom of http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/ezine/ezine22.htm I'm not a programmer, sorry if this is a stupid bug report. Good luck guys, this product is awesome so far. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b4) Gecko/2008030714 Firefox/3.0b4 ...

Web resources about - [ANNOUNCE] Firefox 4 and Firefox Mobile (Fennec) 4 getting ready on l10n-central. - mozilla.dev.l10n