[add-ons]: Heads-up: new project containing lots of add-ons strings

Hello Localizers,

The AMO developers are working on a project that contains 160 - 200
add-ons. Each add-on is made up with two short strings: a title and a
description. It will be a part of a new .po file added to the AMO project
in Pontoon. It will take at least another week to land. This is a heads-up.

Cheers,
Peiying
0
Peiying
7/9/2018 6:47:24 PM
mozilla.dev.l10n.web 1604 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Hi Peiying,

> The AMO developers are working on a project that contains 160 - 200
> add-ons. Each add-on is made up with two short strings: a title and a
> description.

If I understand correctly, that means there will be between 160 and 200
times 2 new strings, meaning between 320 and 400 new strings.

I have three questions:

(1) What is the reason for this project?

(2) Why so many new add-ons (and thus many new strings)? Even if there
are only 10 words per description, that would be at least (unless my
maths is off yet again) 160 × 10 = 1600 words, not counting titles.

(3) Therefore, will there be a limit to the number of words per string
(particularly in the description) so we can be absolutely certain that
these will indeed be „short strings“?

Regards,

Michael
0
UTF
7/9/2018 7:35:45 PM
Hello Michael,

Thank you for your questions and concerns. Since this is a heads-up, we are
assessing the situation and are looking at how best approach the request,
not to mention the timing of the request when many people are enjoying
their summer break. If there are change of plans, I will communicate it as
soon as I have it.

Now back to you questions, please see the inline comments gathered from the
AMO team.

> (1) What is the reason for this project?

The reason for this project is to provide localized curated recommendations
as part of the discovery pane initially this is being used via a Shield
study but we expect to make further use of these curated recommendations as
we look to move to recommendations being provided for all users of the
disco pane.

In addition, the curated localized copy can also be used to make it easier
for us to curate content shown on the disco pane for all users until such
time that recommendations move into productions.

> (2) Why so many new add-ons (and thus many new strings)? Even if there
> are only 10 words per description, that would be at least (unless my
> maths is off yet again) 160 =C3=97 10 =3D 1600 words, not counting titles=
..

The reason for this number is to provide a pool of add-ons that can be used
for the recommendations. This same pool of data can also be used for
curated add-ons in the future.

> (3) Therefore, will there be a limit to the number of words per string
> (particularly in the description) so we can be absolutely certain that
> these will indeed be =E2=80=9Eshort strings=E2=80=9C?

That's difficult to say. The length of strings should be similar to what's
done for the discovery pane in the past so that's probably the best guide.
As seen in here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/foxytab/?src=3Dfeatured.

Again, the l10n team is evaluating the request and look for alternatives to
address it. I will have a follow-up to this email.

> Regards,
>
> Michael

Peiying