Shutting down persona.org in November 2016

Hi Everyone,

When the Mozilla Identity team transitioned Persona to community
ownership, we committed resources to operational and security support
throughout 2014 [1], and renewed that commitment for 2015 [2].  Due to
low, declining usage, we are reallocating the project’s dedicated,
ongoing resources and will shut down the persona.org services that we run.

Persona.org and related domains will be taken offline on November 30th,
2016.

If you run a website that relies on Persona, you will need to implement
an alternative login solution for your users.  We have assembled a wiki
page with additional information and guidelines for migration [3], but
here are the important things you need to know:

Between now and November 30th, 2016, Mozilla will continue to support
the Persona service at a maintenance level:

 * Security issues will be resolved in a timely manner and the services
   will be kept online, but we do not expect to develop or deploy any
   new features.

 * Support will continue to be available on the dev-identity mailing
   list [4] and in the #services-dev IRC channel [5].

 * All websites that rely on persona.org will need to migrate to
   another means of authentication during this period.

Beginning on November 30th, 2016, the Persona service hosted by Mozilla
will be decommissioned:

  * All services hosted on the persona.org domain will be shut down.

  * Mozilla will retain control of the persona.org domain and will
    not transfer it to a third party.

  * Since the privacy of user data is of utmost importance to Mozilla,
    we will destroy all user data stored on the persona.org servers,
    and will not transfer it to third parties.

We intentionally designed Persona to expose email addresses rather than
opaque identifiers, which should ease the transition to other systems
that provide verified email addresses.  You can find guidelines on
alternative login solutions on the wiki [3] and we will continue to
update them over the coming year.  We strongly encourage affected teams
to openly discuss and blog about their migrations on the dev-identity
mailing list  so that others can learn from their experience.

Thank you for your support and involvement with Persona. If you have any
questions, please post them to the dev-identity mailing list.

  Ryan

[1]
http://identity.mozilla.com/post/78873831485/transitioning-persona-to-community-ownership
[2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.identity/rPIm7GxOeNU
[3]
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Identity/Persona_Shutdown_Guidelines_for_Reliers
[5] http://irc.mozilla.org/#services-dev
0
Ryan
1/12/2016 1:06:54 AM
mozilla.dev.identity 1643 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

certificate common name `www.persona.org' doesn't match requested host name `verifier.login.persona.org'
Hi, I recently tried to setup a Wordpress plugin which uses persona for the sig= n in process (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/browserid/). It fails wit= h a pretty generic error "There are no HTTP transports available which can = complete the requested request". Further investigation showed that a wget h= ttps://verifier.login.persona.org/verify on the box which runs my Wordpress= yields this: Connecting to verifier.login.persona.org|63.245.217.134|:443... connected. ERROR: certificate common name `www.persona.org' doesn't match requested ho= st name `verifie...

Persona and Personas
Hi everyone. Just a little think that I want to ask you guys: I started talking about Persona with some friends (that aren't Mozilla contributors) to have some opinions about it, I found out that when people hear "Mozilla Persona" they instantly think about "Firefox Personas". Don't you think this may be a bit confusing for final users, since they often know Firefox without actually really knowing Mozilla (In Brazil this happens a lot) ? Maur=EDcio Araldi. - On 5/2/12 11:15 AM, Maur�cio Araldi wrote: > Hi everyone. Just a little think that I want to ...

http://dev.123done.org/ versus http://123done.org/
The first site is looking very good for a model for a prospective RP. Add in the improved password analysis tool and it would be even better. Why doesn't the original site stay in sync? Best regards, -Tom ...

Amazon SES enabled on dev.anosrep.org and fixed on personatest.org
When personatest.org was migrated from Zerigo to AWS Route53 we lost the TXT record that authorizes AWS SES to send email as users @personatest.organd SES was going to be disabled in a few days. I've recreated the TXT record to re-enable SES. I've also created the TXT record needed for dev.anosrep.org to enable SES (which was failed due to the missing record). -Gene ...

Shutting down dev.performance
Hi, At the moment dev.performance is a little used list that overlaps with dev.platform. Important recent posts made on dev.performance, have been a mistake (eg. threads by Messrs. Jesup and Mandelin). So in order to not risk further lost threads I propose we shutdown this mailing list and move all of the future discussion to dev.platform. Any objections? Rob Helmer, the sole regular user of the list doesn't have any objections, anybody else? Tips on the process for closing a newsgroup? Taras On 11-08-25 12:11 PM, Taras Glek wrote: > > Tips on the process...

ORDB.org is shutting down
[quote] We regret to inform you that ORDB.org, at the ripe age of five and a half, is shutting down. It's been a case of a long goodbye as very little work has gone into maintaining ORDB for a while. Our volunteer staff has been pre-occupied with other aspects of their lives. In addition, the general consensus within the team is that open relay RBLs are no longer the most effective way of preventing spam from entering your network as spammers have changed tactics in recent years, as have the anti-spam community. We encourage system owners to remove ORDB checks from their mailers...

ORDB.ORG is shutting down
Just saw this up in the community chat forum. ORDB.ORG is shutting down their site. So adjust your RBL lists if you use them. Here is their announcement http://www.ordb.org/news/?id=38 Connie W Connie, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell.com/search/kb_index.jsp - Check all of the other support tools and options ava...

Persona identity file
Hello all, I'm currently working on a hosted Persona authentication project (https://www.persowna.net/), and I want to do domain verification for authentication. I mentioned this to Dan Callahan, who thought emailing the list about the following would be a good idea: I want to verify domain administrators, and the best way to do this would be to allow them to upload some file to their domain. Since they already need to upload the delegation file (/.well-known/browserid), I figured I can have them put something like 'persowna_key': 'some_random_token' in the ...

ORDB.ORG is shutting down
Just saw this up in the community chat forum. ORDB.ORG is shutting down their site. So adjust your RBL lists if you use them. Here is their announcement http://www.ordb.org/news/?id=38 Connie W I saw that too. Thanks for sharing here. -- Timothy Leerhoff Novell Support Forum Sysop ...

Persona versus Identity
This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format. --------------ms000006060706040000010607 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I've been reading several posts from people who are still trying to sort = out how the site specific public key provides a persona. It doesn't. Identities and Personae are often so tightly coupled that we often fail=20 to see the distinction between them. For this post, I define Persona as=20 who you are to other people and Identity as who you are to a computer.=20 Us...

Persona 2015 through 2016
Hey all, Last week, Gene Wood (former Persona ops) and I met again with Mark Mayo (VP of Services) to discuss Persona's longer-term future at Mozilla. Over the past year, Firefox Accounts (FxA) has drifted toward a traditional (OAuth) model, and away from possible synergies with BrowserID or Persona. This puts Persona in a bind: work on FxA will not benefit Persona, and vice versa. MoCo's organizational priorities remain the same: developers are focusing on FxA, and that focus is unlikely to shift to Persona in the foreseeable future. This isn't sustainable for...

[signin] Persona.org
Ryan, Didem, Dan, Rob, and I have been brainstorming on what to do for marketing and customer education of the Persona service. We're tentatively thinking of making a couple landing pages based aimed at different audiences (users, and developers (RPs/IdPs)), that involves hero images, big bold features that make people drool, and then links to MDN pages that explain in detail how to do everything. We're thinking that this really describes Persona, the service, while Persona the app lives at login.persona.org, these pages should be persona.org. Care to help? ...

Deploying persona.org
I realized I might not have left the clearest instructions. 1. Checkout the changes to deploy. Likely master. 2. npm install 3. node ./scripts/deploy.js gh-pages 4. Check http://anosrep.seanmonstar.com. It may take a few minutes. 5. If all looks well, merge gh-pages into prod. 6. Ping gene for a deploy. ...

Persona.org is live.
We launched a website at https://www.persona.org that can serve as a landing page for people to learn what Persona is. Especially the 2 landing pages for developers interested in implementing Persona. Lots of thanks to rfeeley, didem, roblord, callahad, pdehaan, and gene for making this happen! If you see any problems, you can tell us on the list, or file here: https://github.com/mozilla/persona.org/issues Shiny! ...

Web resources about - Shutting down persona.org in November 2016 - mozilla.dev.identity

Shooting, shoveling, and shutting up - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Shooting, shoveling, and shutting up , also known as the 3-S treatment , refers to a method for dealing with unwanted or unwelcome animals in ...

Zynga Shutting Baltimore Studio, Consolidating In Texas, NYC
The cutbacks continue at struggling game developer Zynga , as Chief Operations Officer David Ko announced in a post on the company’s blog that ...

Is Facebook Shutting Down Beacon?
Last week, there was a little stir in the blogosphere when some users and developers discovered that Facebook’s Beacon service (designed to easily ...

Shutting down spammers - Twitter Blog
... expands, we become a more attractive target for spamm...... Skip to main content Blog Got an account? Sign in Search form Search &nbsp Shutting ...

Berkeley Cops Conduct Full-Scale Military Operation, Shutting Down Neighborhood - YouTube
www.undergroundworldnews.com In a scene more reminiscent of a war-zone than an American city, Berkeley, California police conducted what looked ...

Safety rules to prevent 'union thugs' shutting sites
State government to force union officials to give 24 hours' notice before they enter a job site.

Shutting down and clicking on (04:36)
While the American government shut down explored absurdity, we have had to make do with mere bemusement over Harvey Norman chief Gerry Harvey’s ...

The window is shutting on the 2-degree target
Leaders gather in Berlin to consider a new UN analysis that finds time time is running out to meet the lesser warming scenario.

Deans not shutting door on Beale, Cooper
Robbie Deans insists ‘‘the door is not closed’’ on Quade Cooper and Kurtley Beale despite the high-profile playmakers being overlooked for a ...

Six cyclists rushed to hospital with serious injuries shutting down part of Southern Cross Drive
SIX cyclists have been rushed to hospital suffering serious injuries after being struck by a car.