Is shutting down Persona the best idea?

I understand that on November 30th Persona will be gone and the data delete=
d. Is this the best idea? What will happen to unmaintained websites which h=
ave no other login system? Is it a good idea to say oh well and let them be=
come non-functioning? Consider this...
0
admin
1/13/2016 6:35:08 PM
mozilla.dev.identity 1643 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

On 14/01/2016 05:35, admin@nsuchy.top wrote:
> I understand that on November 30th Persona will be gone and the data deleted. Is this the best idea? What will happen to unmaintained websites which have no other login system? Is it a good idea to say oh well and let them become non-functioning? Consider this...

Thanks for the question, and sorry this got lost in my inbox for a while
due to travel.  It's an important point and something we've definitely
thought about a lot.  I said a few more words about it on the wiki [1]
but will quote them here as well:

"""
Hosting a service at the level of security and availability required for
an authentication system is no small undertaking, and Mozilla can no
longer justify dedicating limited resources to this project.
"""

For the small number of websites that may not be able to migrate away
from Persona, a hard shutdown does indeed mean that logins will no
longer work, which is not a great outcome.

But keeping the service online without adequate maintenance would be an
even worse outcome - logins that work intermittently and may have
unpatched security vulnerabilities.

  Cheers,

    Ryan

[1]
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Identity/Persona_Shutdown_Guidelines_for_Reliers#Why_is_persona.org_being_shut_down.3F
0
Ryan
1/18/2016 6:56:59 AM
Would be an amazing contribution if Mozilla could actually disclose
the costs of engineering and give a hint on the actual bugs problems
per time. I just figure that a flipside of opensource/Mozilla/failures
is actually in being more open about the learnings and costs of
engineering - not sure if makes sense. I see that there is a section
for self-hosting that partially covers it. Do you think that the list
of open bugs is significant as a snapshot for someone willing to
understand engineering cost/key activities?

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 4:56 AM, Ryan Kelly <rfkelly@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On 14/01/2016 05:35, admin@nsuchy.top wrote:
>> I understand that on November 30th Persona will be gone and the data del=
eted. Is this the best idea? What will happen to unmaintained websites whic=
h have no other login system? Is it a good idea to say oh well and let them=
 become non-functioning? Consider this...

> Thanks for the question, and sorry this got lost in my inbox for a while
> due to travel.  It's an important point and something we've definitely
> thought about a lot.  I said a few more words about it on the wiki [1]
> but will quote them here as well:
>
> """
> Hosting a service at the level of security and availability required for
> an authentication system is no small undertaking, and Mozilla can no
> longer justify dedicating limited resources to this project.
> """
>
> For the small number of websites that may not be able to migrate away
> from Persona, a hard shutdown does indeed mean that logins will no
> longer work, which is not a great outcome.
>
> But keeping the service online without adequate maintenance would be an
> even worse outcome - logins that work intermittently and may have
> unpatched security vulnerabilities.
>

>   Cheers,
>
>     Ryan
>

> [1]
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Identity/Persona_Shutdown_Guidelines_for_Reliers=
#Why_is_persona.org_being_shut_down.3F

--=20
www.telasocial.com
0
Marcio
1/18/2016 9:01:20 AM
email is a convenient way to specify a persona. WebFinger can transform the
email into any other URI such as one pointing to a personal authorization
server with OAuth as the framework. The authentication and reputation
issues then need to build upon that.

Adrian

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 1:27 PM, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 25 January 2016 at 19:21, <bryandonnovan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Andrew,
> >
> > I looked originally at https://passwordless.net/ , which I used as
> > inspiration for my own (non node-js) implementation.
> >
> > The big weakness of Passwordless that I had to overcome was the
> > verification link getting clicked on a different user agent.  e.g. you
> are
> > trying to log in on your desktop browser, but click the verification link
> > on your phone.  This was easily solved using a websocket on the original
> > page to receive a pushed token as soon as the link is clicked.  I guess
> you
> > could also use long polling.  Not sure what Persona did, but they also
> > solved this same issue.
> >
> > Melvin,
> >
> > If your use case involves being able to communicate  with the user via
> > email, as I suspect many use cases do, then identity being bound to email
> > is ideal.
> >

> I dont think this is accurate.  What you are saying is you'd like to
> overload email (and only email) to do 3 quite different things:
>
> 1. Be a primary identifier for verification.
> 2. Be a memorable string you type into a form
> 3. Be a message delivery system.
>
> This is from one perspective a neat hack, but from another perspective a
> horrible architectural design decision.
>
> Overloading is always a great sugar rush as it gets something working quite
> fast (as happened with persona) ... the cracks appear down the line.
>
> Typically in programming you tie key value pairs to entities (think JSON)
> and can enrich identity with say your name, your avatar, your email address
> ... in fact it's open ended.
>

> > On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 9:53 AM, Melvin Carvalho <
> melvincarvalho@gmail.com
> > > wrote:

> in

> >> Nice idea.
> >>
> >> But it suffers from the same weaknesses as Persona.
> >>
> >> Namely:
> >>
> >> - Lacks slightly a clean separation of identity and and authentication
> >> (verifying identity) -- I may be wrong there
> >>
> >> - Is too tightly bound to email.  Inevitably you'll go up against the
> big
> >> webmail providers who will end up shutting you down.  Or you'll
> introduce
> >> central point of failure a la Persona.
> >>
> >> Do we really want to repeat the same mistakes again?  A much better way
> >> IMHO is to allow any type of identity (ie a URI) and offer the user that
> >> freedom, which OAuth does a lot better.  Then allow cryptographic proofs
> >> verify that identity, instead of having to remember a password for every
> >> site -- or in the case of Persona two passwords per email address!

Adrian Gropper MD

PROTECT YOUR FUTURE - RESTORE Health Privacy!
HELP us fight for the right to control personal health data.
DONATE: http://patientprivacyrights.org/donate-2/
0
Adrian
1/25/2016 1:01:01 AM
My 2 cents:

I've just finished migrating my service away from Persona to a
password-less authentication system.

I was not excited about doing this work, however, now that it is done and
Persona is gone, I am quite happy about it:
- site loads faster
- no popup windows
- no iOS issues related to popups
- no cross-domain requests
- no reliance on a 3rd party

For me, it was complacency keeping me on Persona, and the shutdown deadline
notice was the motivation I needed to improve my service by removing
passwords entirely.

I understand the Persona shutdown will break sites that are no longer being
maintained, and that is unfortunate, but for me this change was a Good
Thing.

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 1:01 AM, Marcio Galli <mgalli@telasocial.com> wrote:

> Would be an amazing contribution if Mozilla could actually disclose
> the costs of engineering and give a hint on the actual bugs problems
> per time. I just figure that a flipside of opensource/Mozilla/failures
> is actually in being more open about the learnings and costs of
> engineering - not sure if makes sense. I see that there is a section
> for self-hosting that partially covers it. Do you think that the list
> of open bugs is significant as a snapshot for someone willing to
> understand engineering cost/key activities?

> On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 4:56 AM, Ryan Kelly <rfkelly@mozilla.com> wrote:
> > On 14/01/2016 05:35, admin@nsuchy.top wrote:
> >> I understand that on November 30th Persona will be gone and the data
> deleted. Is this the best idea? What will happen to unmaintained websites
> which have no other login system? Is it a good idea to say oh well and let
> them become non-functioning? Consider this...
> >
> > Thanks for the question, and sorry this got lost in my inbox for a while
> > due to travel.  It's an important point and something we've definitely
> > thought about a lot.  I said a few more words about it on the wiki [1]
> > but will quote them here as well:
> >
> > """
> > Hosting a service at the level of security and availability required for
> > an authentication system is no small undertaking, and Mozilla can no
> > longer justify dedicating limited resources to this project.
> > """
> >
> > For the small number of websites that may not be able to migrate away
> > from Persona, a hard shutdown does indeed mean that logins will no
> > longer work, which is not a great outcome.
> >
> > But keeping the service online without adequate maintenance would be an
> > even worse outcome - logins that work intermittently and may have
> > unpatched security vulnerabilities.
> >

> >   Cheers,
> >
> >     Ryan
> >

> > [1]
> >
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Identity/Persona_Shutdown_Guidelines_for_Reliers#Why_is_persona.org_being_shut_down.3F
>

> --
> www.telasocial.com

bryandonnovan
1/25/2016 4:03:28 AM
What system did you move to?  I need to do this work at some point in the next month or two, and any advice is gratefully accepted.
0
Andrew
1/25/2016 2:08:13 PM
On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 3:08 PM, Andrew Ducker <andrew@ducker.org.uk> wrote:
> What system did you move to?  I need to do this work at some point in the next month or two, and any advice is gratefully accepted.

Note also that a small group of people is currently hacking on a new
BrowserID-like protocol, here:

https://github.com/letsauth/letsauth.github.io/wiki

You might want to see how they fare (the group includes some people
who also worked on Persona, including myself).

Cheers,

Dirkjan
0
Dirkjan
1/25/2016 4:43:15 PM
On 25 January 2016 at 17:43, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@ochtman.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 3:08 PM, Andrew Ducker <andrew@ducker.org.uk>
> wrote:
> > What system did you move to?  I need to do this work at some point in
> the next month or two, and any advice is gratefully accepted.
>
> Note also that a small group of people is currently hacking on a new
> BrowserID-like protocol, here:
>
> https://github.com/letsauth/letsauth.github.io/wiki
>
> You might want to see how they fare (the group includes some people
> who also worked on Persona, including myself).

Nice idea.

But it suffers from the same weaknesses as Persona.

Namely:

- Lacks slightly a clean separation of identity and and authentication
(verifying identity) -- I may be wrong there

- Is too tightly bound to email.  Inevitably you'll go up against the big
webmail providers who will end up shutting you down.  Or you'll introduce a
central point of failure a la Persona.

Do we really want to repeat the same mistakes again?  A much better way
IMHO is to allow any type of identity (ie a URI) and offer the user that
freedom, which OAuth does a lot better.  Then allow cryptographic proofs to
verify that identity, instead of having to remember a password for every
site -- or in the case of Persona two passwords per email address!

> Cheers,
>
> Dirkjan

Melvin
1/25/2016 5:53:56 PM

wrote:

> On 25 January 2016 at 17:43, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@ochtman.nl> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 3:08 PM, Andrew Ducker <andrew@ducker.org.uk>
> > wrote:
> > > What system did you move to?  I need to do this work at some point in
> > the next month or two, and any advice is gratefully accepted.
> >
> > Note also that a small group of people is currently hacking on a new
> > BrowserID-like protocol, here:
> >
> > https://github.com/letsauth/letsauth.github.io/wiki
> >
> > You might want to see how they fare (the group includes some people
> > who also worked on Persona, including myself).
> >

> Nice idea.
>
> But it suffers from the same weaknesses as Persona.
>
> Namely:
>
> - Lacks slightly a clean separation of identity and and authentication
> (verifying identity) -- I may be wrong there
>
> - Is too tightly bound to email.  Inevitably you'll go up against the big
> webmail providers who will end up shutting you down.  Or you'll introduce a
> central point of failure a la Persona.
>
> Do we really want to repeat the same mistakes again?  A much better way
> IMHO is to allow any type of identity (ie a URI) and offer the user that
> freedom, which OAuth does a lot better.  Then allow cryptographic proofs to
> verify that identity, instead of having to remember a password for every
> site -- or in the case of Persona two passwords per email address!
>

> > Cheers,
> >
> > Dirkjan

bryandonnovan
1/25/2016 6:21:45 PM
> [...]

>> > who also worked on Persona, including myself).
>> >

>> Nice idea.
>>
>> But it suffers from the same weaknesses as Persona.
>>
>> Namely:
>>
>> - Lacks slightly a clean separation of identity and and authentication
>> (verifying identity) -- I may be wrong there
>>
>> - Is too tightly bound to email.  Inevitably you'll go up against the big
>> webmail providers who will end up shutting you down.  Or you'll introduce
>> central point of failure a la Persona.
>>
>> Do we really want to repeat the same mistakes again?  A much better way
>> IMHO is to allow any type of identity (ie a URI) and offer the user that
>> freedom, which OAuth does a lot better.  Then allow cryptographic proofs
>> verify that identity, instead of having to remember a password for every
>> site -- or in the case of Persona two passwords per email address!

Melvin
1/25/2016 6:27:10 PM
On 25 January 2016 at 19:49, Adrian Gropper <agropper@healthurl.com> wrote:

> email is a convenient way to specify a persona.

I think this is a reasonable statement.  Bear in mind some will strongly
agree, some will strongly disagree.  But let's so for now this is perfectly
reasonable (I think it is)

However that's not the formulation of persona etc.  The formulation in
persona is slightly different

- email is the *only* way to specify a persona

This is problematic, and contrasts with widely adopted systems such as
OAuth.

There's a general principle in a lot of standards that says dont restrict
unless you have to.  This also plays into the hands of webmail providers.
If I were one I'd pay people to spread the message that email was the one
identifier to rule them all, and nothing else counts.  If facebook didnt
exist, you could easily think that way (not that Im saying we should all
use facebook).

> WebFinger can transform the email into any other URI such as one pointing
> to a personal authorization server with OAuth as the framework.

Only if your email provider supports this.  Many are moving away from it,
or didnt use it in the first place.  I think it's been turned off in a lot
of instances.  Also it means, say in the case of gmail, that google control
your record, not the user.  This is the downside of the convenience gained
by overloading email for 2 or 3 purposes ... and one big reason that
centralization was introduced to persona, which I think was a contributory
factor to its failure.  The big webmail companies have no incentive to give
up control of email profiles.

My main point here is that, such overloading is unnecessary in a well
designed system, and not particularly hard to implement, it amounts to
tying a key value pair to an entity.  This is what pretty much all
programming data structures do anyway.  As I say the hack of overloading an
identifier

> The authentication and reputation issues then need to build upon that.

Yes!  Authentication and reputation are modular concerns in themselves
built on top of the first layer.  It took us a few years to work this out
in the WebID community, but this insight is a valuable one IMHO

> Adrian
>
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 1:27 PM, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> On 25 January 2016 at 19:21, <bryandonnovan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Andrew,
>> >
>> > I looked originally at https://passwordless.net/ , which I used as
>> > inspiration for my own (non node-js) implementation.
>> >
>> > The big weakness of Passwordless that I had to overcome was the
>> > verification link getting clicked on a different user agent.  e.g. you
>> are
>> > trying to log in on your desktop browser, but click the verification
>> link
>> > on your phone.  This was easily solved using a websocket on the original
>> > page to receive a pushed token as soon as the link is clicked.  I guess
>> you
>> > could also use long polling.  Not sure what Persona did, but they also
>> > solved this same issue.
>> >
>> > Melvin,
>> >
>> > If your use case involves being able to communicate  with the user via
>> > email, as I suspect many use cases do, then identity being bound to
>> email
>> > is ideal.
>> >

>> I dont think this is accurate.  What you are saying is you'd like to
>> overload email (and only email) to do 3 quite different things:
>>
>> 1. Be a primary identifier for verification.
>> 2. Be a memorable string you type into a form
>> 3. Be a message delivery system.
>>
>> This is from one perspective a neat hack, but from another perspective a
>> horrible architectural design decision.
>>
>> Overloading is always a great sugar rush as it gets something working
>> quite
>> fast (as happened with persona) ... the cracks appear down the line.
>>
>> Typically in programming you tie key value pairs to entities (think JSON)
>> and can enrich identity with say your name, your avatar, your email
>> address
>> ... in fact it's open ended.
>>

>> > On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 9:53 AM, Melvin Carvalho <
>> melvincarvalho@gmail.com

>> in

>> big
>> introduce

>> that
>> proofs
>> every

> --
>
> Adrian Gropper MD
>
> PROTECT YOUR FUTURE - RESTORE Health Privacy!
> HELP us fight for the right to control personal health data.
> DONATE: http://patientprivacyrights.org/donate-2/

0
Melvin
1/25/2016 11:56:28 PM
On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 12:35:09 PM UTC-6, ad...@nsuchy.top wrote=
:
> I understand that on November 30th Persona will be gone and the data dele=
ted. Is this the best idea? What will happen to unmaintained websites which=
 have no other login system? Is it a good idea to say oh well and let them =
become non-functioning? Consider this...

0
israelgalvanrico
2/3/2016 8:58:13 AM
On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 12:35:09 PM UTC-6, ad...@nsuchy.top wrote=
:
> I understand that on November 30th Persona will be gone and the data dele=
ted. Is this the best idea? What will happen to unmaintained websites which=
 have no other login system? Is it a good idea to say oh well and let them =
become non-functioning? Consider this...
0
israelgalvanrico
2/3/2016 9:10:25 AM
On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 12:35:09 PM UTC-6, ad...@nsuchy.top wrote=
:
> I understand that on November 30th Persona will be gone and the data dele=
ted. Is this the best idea? What will happen to unmaintained websites which=
 have no other login system? Is it a good idea to say oh well and let them =
become non-functioning? Consider this...

My messages
0
israelgalvanrico

Best of the Best
Name: BurtDensmore Email: BurtDensmore_at_gmail.com Product: Firefox 2 Beta 2 Summary: Best of the Best Comments: It can only get better, and good bye Microsoft, and Hello FireFox All we need now is a FireFox OS BurtD Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1b2) Gecko/20060821 Firefox/2.0b2 ...

Best of the best
Name: Benito Email: benitodotm7atgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Best of the best Comments: I think is gonna be a greatest of all product on earth. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

persona ideas
Name: ROZ MANDELCORN Email: thunderstaratearthlinkdotnet Product: Firefox Summary: persona ideas Comments: i am so upset. personas says give us your comments then doesnt allow them. i am very frustrated with personas. i like the application. but i like different personas. but there is NO way to PERMANENTLY download them so they are always available to the user. i will use a persona for a while, then change to another, and then want to go back...and it has been wiped out my recently selected list cause i went thru trying more. PLEASE CREATE A WAY TO PERMANENTLY DOWNLOAD PERSO...

best idea
rather depressed.  working in web dev  got database which was working perfectly four weks ago with .text   insert statements. then I tried to use stored procedures! partial succes with stored pro with a select stament. Then after no success with insert    went back to old code "insert" and thats not working either Looked at web config   all looks ok.   checked table definitions..checked foreign keys....checked ...checked checked...bored now. I have a gremlin some where......tipo maybe.....but the bottom line is ...it was working ...

The best of The BEST!!
Name: grillo loco Product: Firefox Summary: The best of The BEST!! Comments: I just say........mozilla firefox is the lord Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; es-ES; rv:1.9.0.4) Gecko/2008102920 Firefox/3.0.4 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

best or very best
Name: Guiliano Moreno Email: Guilianodotmorenoatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: best or very best Comments: best or very best Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; es-ES; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Persona and Personas
Hi everyone. Just a little think that I want to ask you guys: I started talking about Persona with some friends (that aren't Mozilla contributors) to have some opinions about it, I found out that when people hear "Mozilla Persona" they instantly think about "Firefox Personas". Don't you think this may be a bit confusing for final users, since they often know Firefox without actually really knowing Mozilla (In Brazil this happens a lot) ? Maur=EDcio Araldi. - On 5/2/12 11:15 AM, Maur�cio Araldi wrote: > Hi everyone. Just a little think that I want to ...

The best of the best
Name: Dmitriy Quaalude Email: quaaludeatmaildotru Product: Firefox Summary: The best of the best Comments: Your browser - the best in own way. Here more than three years I use products from mozilla. Your software much more surpasses competitors! I wish you the further successful prosperity! Thank you! Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; ru; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide on...

the best of the best
Name: sorin Email: sorin_ifri_at_yahoo.com Product: Firefox 2 Beta 2 Summary: the best of the best Comments: works .... Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1b2) Gecko/20060821 Firefox/2.0b2 ...

best as best
Name: theo Email: theoatberlindotcom Product: Gran Paradiso Summary: best as best Comments: I can't complain all the time. I'll never saw something that don't work. Thank you for this good browser ever. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9b5) Gecko/2008032620 Firefox/3.0b5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Shutting down dev.performance
Hi, At the moment dev.performance is a little used list that overlaps with dev.platform. Important recent posts made on dev.performance, have been a mistake (eg. threads by Messrs. Jesup and Mandelin). So in order to not risk further lost threads I propose we shutdown this mailing list and move all of the future discussion to dev.platform. Any objections? Rob Helmer, the sole regular user of the list doesn't have any objections, anybody else? Tips on the process for closing a newsgroup? Taras On 11-08-25 12:11 PM, Taras Glek wrote: > > Tips on the process...

Idea of an extension for Persona
Hello! I have and idea of an extension for Persona that can improve user expirience and I would like to disucuss it with someone from the team. With whom I can talk to? On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 3:27 PM, =D0=95=D0=B2=D0=B3=D0=B5=D0=BD=D0=B8=D0=B9= =D0=9A=D1=83=D1=80=D1=82=D0=BE=D0=B2 <me@lessless.pp.ua> wrote: > Hello! I have and idea of an extension for Persona that can improve user = expirience and I would like to disucuss it with someone from the team. Wit= h whom I can talk to? You could join #identity on irc.mozilla.org, but describing it here would probably be even b...

Persona identity file
Hello all, I'm currently working on a hosted Persona authentication project (https://www.persowna.net/), and I want to do domain verification for authentication. I mentioned this to Dan Callahan, who thought emailing the list about the following would be a good idea: I want to verify domain administrators, and the best way to do this would be to allow them to upload some file to their domain. Since they already need to upload the delegation file (/.well-known/browserid), I figured I can have them put something like 'persowna_key': 'some_random_token' in the ...

the BEST Plug-in idea.....
Name: Brian Hooten Email: bhootenatstandardimagingdotcom Product: Thunderbird Summary: the BEST Plug-in idea..... Comments: I grew up using Netscape! Netscape 4.76 had a program called "nsnotify" - which was a small app which ran in the background and put an envelope icon in the lower left toolbar. In the app options, you gave it your mail server info, user name & password, and how frequently it checked for email (ie every X minutes) - and you didn't need to keep Netscape open to check email.....this little app would put a little bouncing red flag on top ...