dev.b2g and dev.gaia redundancy?

I'm relatively new to the project but I see more overlap than not lately
in the dev.b2g and dev.gaia newsgroups.  Are the original motivations
for having distinct groups still still applicable? Would things be
easier for more people if we collapsed down to one group? Is that an
awful idea?

- A
0
Asa
12/4/2013 12:22:06 AM
mozilla.dev.gaia 3196 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

+1, half the emails are sent to both lists

to take it further I am sitting alone in #fxos on irc

On 4 December 2013 00:22, Asa Dotzler <asa@mozilla.com> wrote:

> I'm relatively new to the project but I see more overlap than not lately
> in the dev.b2g and dev.gaia newsgroups.  Are the original motivations for
> having distinct groups still still applicable? Would things be easier for
> more people if we collapsed down to one group? Is that an awful idea?
>
> - A

Dale
12/4/2013 12:50:25 AM
Seem a bit redundant to me as well. I would support moving to more of a "fxos" branded communication channels.

dev-gaia and dev-b2g lists -> dev-fxos
#gaia and #b2g -> #fxos

Best,
Kevin

+1, half the emails are sent to both lists

to take it further I am sitting alone in #fxos on irc

On 4 December 2013 00:22, Asa Dotzler <asa@mozilla.com> wrote:

> I'm relatively new to the project but I see more overlap than not lately
> in the dev.b2g and dev.gaia newsgroups.  Are the original motivations for
> having distinct groups still still applicable? Would things be easier for
> more people if we collapsed down to one group? Is that an awful idea?
>
> - A
Kevin
12/4/2013 1:11:35 AM
There are something about Gaia to talk specifically, like how we
should manage shared script, coding style, front-end engineering
specific issues. It's a chicken-egg problem. We just didn't have the
time, maybe the energy, to engaging conversations.

That said, I won't mind if we killed the forum and don't re-spin
unless we have enough volume to warrant a dedicated forum.

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Kevin Grandon <kgrandon@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Seem a bit redundant to me as well. I would support moving to more of a "fxos" branded communication channels.
>
> dev-gaia and dev-b2g lists -> dev-fxos
> #gaia and #b2g -> #fxos
>
> Best,
> Kevin

Tim Guan-tin Chien, Engineering Manager and Front-end Lead, Firefox
OS, Mozilla Corp. (Taiwan)
0
Tim
12/4/2013 7:10:25 AM
On 12/3/13, 4:22 PM, Asa Dotzler wrote:
> I'm relatively new to the project but I see more overlap than not lately
> in the dev.b2g and dev.gaia newsgroups.  Are the original motivations
> for having distinct groups still still applicable? Would things be
> easier for more people if we collapsed down to one group? Is that an
> awful idea?
>
> - A

I was hoping for a bit more participation here but the limited feedback
consensus is that we should combine the two lists.

If you have objections to this, now would certainly be a good time to
voice them.

One other point was raised during this discussion that I'd like to add
to the proposal.  In addition to combining the lists, we should rename
the list to something recognizable like mozilla.dev.firefoxos or
mozilla.dev.fxos

Naming is hard, so let's not spend too much time on that front.

In one week, I'll file the bug to combine and rename .b2g and .gaia into
one list, mozilla.dev.firefoxos.

(I don't know what's technically involved there, so I'll only commit to
the bug filing by next week. Not sure when the actual combining can happen.)

- A
0
Asa