How to install an Extension from an Application installer ?

Hi
I am trying to find out how we can install a Firefox extension directly
from an application installer. There is some material available from
Mozilla on this
a) first option, it says, is to install it directly to
<appdir>/extensions/extensionID : I assume <appdir> is the Mozilla
installation directory but how can we determine it from an application
installer ?
b) second option is to use the windows registry : I tried this one but
it somehow did not work. Besides, manipulating the registry from an
installer when nothing is known about which version of Firefox is
installed on the user machine is difficult.

In our case, we use the installer to simply install a server / daemon
on the user machine and at the same time give the user front end access
to the server through a firefox toolbar. Can anyone suggest how to do
this best ?

Many thanks,
Kallol

0
Kallol
6/13/2006 5:52:47 AM
mozilla.dev.extensions 5694 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Kallol Borah wrote:
> Hi
> I am trying to find out how we can install a Firefox extension directly
> from an application installer. There is some material available from
> Mozilla on this
> a) first option, it says, is to install it directly to
> <appdir>/extensions/extensionID : I assume <appdir> is the Mozilla
> installation directory but how can we determine it from an application
> installer ?

For Win32 this information is available via the registry... the
following applies to Firefox as well
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/plugins/install-scheme.html#path-exe

It requires enumerating registry keys and subkeys which NSIS, WISE, and
InstallShield can do.

> b) second option is to use the windows registry : I tried this one but
> it somehow did not work. Besides, manipulating the registry from an
> installer when nothing is known about which version of Firefox is
> installed on the user machine is difficult.

The version is available via the registry as well.
> In our case, we use the installer to simply install a server / daemon
> on the user machine and at the same time give the user front end access
> to the server through a firefox toolbar. Can anyone suggest how to do
> this best ?

Since you are using an installer to install your app I'd go with the
registry method. This would make the minimum required version of 1.5 for
Firefox.

Try this again by manually adding the keys and the value. If you
continue to have problems I'll be glad to help.
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Adding_Extensions_using_the_Windows_Registry

Cheers,
Robert
0
Robert
6/13/2006 6:09:07 AM
Robert,
It is still not working when I use the registry.
This is what I have done using the Registry editor :
a) go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\mozilla\mozilla
firefox1.5.0.4\extensions
b) created a new String key with name=extensionID, keytype= REG_SZ and
value=path where I have the extracted xpi in my installation directory

Then, I restarted Firefox but the extension does not show up. What have
I done wrong with this ?

Regards
Kallol

Robert Strong wrote:
> Kallol Borah wrote:
> > Hi
> > I am trying to find out how we can install a Firefox extension directly
> > from an application installer. There is some material available from
> > Mozilla on this
> > a) first option, it says, is to install it directly to
> > <appdir>/extensions/extensionID : I assume <appdir> is the Mozilla
> > installation directory but how can we determine it from an application
> > installer ?
> >
> For Win32 this information is available via the registry... the
> following applies to Firefox as well
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/plugins/install-scheme.html#path-exe
>
> It requires enumerating registry keys and subkeys which NSIS, WISE, and
> InstallShield can do.
>
> > b) second option is to use the windows registry : I tried this one but
> > it somehow did not work. Besides, manipulating the registry from an
> > installer when nothing is known about which version of Firefox is
> > installed on the user machine is difficult.
> >
> The version is available via the registry as well.
> > In our case, we use the installer to simply install a server / daemon
> > on the user machine and at the same time give the user front end access
> > to the server through a firefox toolbar. Can anyone suggest how to do
> > this best ?
> >
> Since you are using an installer to install your app I'd go with the
> registry method. This would make the minimum required version of 1.5 for
> Firefox.
>
> Try this again by manually adding the keys and the value. If you
> continue to have problems I'll be glad to help.
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Adding_Extensions_using_the_Windows_Registry
>
> Cheers,
> Robert

0
Kallol
6/13/2006 3:48:45 PM
Kallol Borah wrote:
> Robert,
> It is still not working when I use the registry.
> This is what I have done using the Registry editor :
> a) go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\mozilla\mozilla
> firefox1.5.0.4\extensions

The registry key specified on d.m.o don't exist yet and are exactly what
you should use. So, try it with
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mozilla\Firefox\Extensions

I think I made the same mistake the first time as well. :)

-Robert
> b) created a new String key with name=extensionID, keytype= REG_SZ and
> value=path where I have the extracted xpi in my installation directory
>
> Then, I restarted Firefox but the extension does not show up. What have
> I done wrong with this ?
>
> Regards
> Kallol
>

> Robert Strong wrote:
>
>> Kallol Borah wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> I am trying to find out how we can install a Firefox extension directly
>>> from an application installer. There is some material available from
>>> Mozilla on this
>>> a) first option, it says, is to install it directly to
>>> <appdir>/extensions/extensionID : I assume <appdir> is the Mozilla
>>> installation directory but how can we determine it from an application
>>> installer ?
>>>

>> For Win32 this information is available via the registry... the
>> following applies to Firefox as well
>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/plugins/install-scheme.html#path-exe
>>
>> It requires enumerating registry keys and subkeys which NSIS, WISE, and
>> InstallShield can do.
>>

>>> b) second option is to use the windows registry : I tried this one but
>>> it somehow did not work. Besides, manipulating the registry from an
>>> installer when nothing is known about which version of Firefox is
>>> installed on the user machine is difficult.
>>>

>> The version is available via the registry as well.
>>
>>> In our case, we use the installer to simply install a server / daemon
>>> on the user machine and at the same time give the user front end access
>>> to the server through a firefox toolbar. Can anyone suggest how to do
>>> this best ?
>>>

>> Since you are using an installer to install your app I'd go with the
>> registry method. This would make the minimum required version of 1.5 for
>> Firefox.
>>
>> Try this again by manually adding the keys and the value. If you
>> continue to have problems I'll be glad to help.
>> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Adding_Extensions_using_the_Windows_Registry
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Robert

Robert