How do we test (or, going to test) gecko/b2g/chrome/content/*.js ?

Hi,

While working on DNT feature, I realized that our Gaia integration tests
(Python and JS) can only assert the values of mozSettings database after
the test programically select the setting ratio button in the Setting app.
It is actually at [1] where we copy the value from mozSettings to Gecko
pref().

While the code there are relatively small, I wonder if we could write any
tests for them? Any pointer of documentation to write tests for this
particular part of Gecko is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

[1]
http://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/b2g/chrome/content/settings.js#l434

--
Tim Guan-tin Chien, Engineering Manager and Front-end Lead, Firefox OS,
Mozilla Corp. (Taiwan)

This would also be valuable for the App Manager team. We'd like to be able
to test how the DebuggerServer is started on B2G, as we currently see a lot
of breakages there since there is no coverage of this code path.

Is anything I can do to help make a case for including a test runner like
this for B2G? Do we have any estimates of the level of effort involved to
make it work?

Browser chrome tests definitely seem like the most natural test suite for
this type of testing.

- Ryan

On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 5:42:54 AM UTC-5, Tim Chien wrote:

> Thanks for the information.
>
> I highly recommend to prioritize this work. These are the two scripts
> that sits in the critical launch path of the phone. If it breaks the
> phone won't boot, and it did due to many suspectable race conditions
> we found previously...
>
>On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 5:53 AM, Jonathan Griffin <jgriffin@mozilla.com>
wrote:
>> We currently do not support browser_chrome_tests in B2G, and there are no
>> current plans to add support for it - all the existing browser_chrome
tests
>> are Firefox-specific.
>>
>> If there is a need for some hybrid gecko/gaia tests (and I believe there
>> likely is), we should carefully define what the capabilities of such
tests
>> should be, so we can architect an appropriate solution.
>>
>> Right now, I agree that gaia-ui-tests, or gaia-integration-tests (their
JS