Default web-apps, replacing, settings

Hello all -
   Just thinking about web apps and replacing built-in/default apps.
Thinking about replacing the contacts app (for example).  This means
that the user can somehow remove the default contacts app from the home
screen (how?  dwell on it with a touch and a pop-up appears with the
option to remove it?)  when they install a new contacts app.  Then the
user goes and removes the new contacts app.  How do they get the
original back?  One thought is that the webapp manifest contains a list
of capabilities the app provides.  Then when an app is removed, if it is
the last providing the capability, the default one is re-added
automatically.
   On a similar theme, how is the home screen replaced?  And if it is,
now does the original come back if desired?
   Finally, I'm thinking the settings app should be a specialized
launcher, like the home screen and that each of the settings be its own
webapp.  This has several advantages such as allowing for new settings
to be added or replaced without having to re-implement everything.  It
also allows each setting app to have its own set of permissions (see
permissions discussions recently).  Otherwise the settings app will
basically have to have permission for everything.
-Jim Straus
1
Jim
3/5/2012 9:10:24 PM
mozilla.dev.b2g 4036 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Setting up your Web App on a Web Server
Hello there, i've very very new to this so sorry if alot of the stuff i'm stuck on is very simple. Over the last couple of months i've been developing a web application on my system with a single sqlserver database, asp.net code with c#, it's all working fine, not finished by any stretch of the imagination, by working.I've just come across some free student web hosting with Microsoft and Web Fusion, i decided to follow this up and create an account and try upload my web application to the server. However as soon as i did this, it stopped working. It looks like something i...

Web Apps vs. Web Sites (was: Universal Navigation for Web Apps)
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Justin D'Arcangelo <justindarc@gmail.com>wrote: > there needs to be a differentiation between > web sites and web *apps*. > While we might be able to describe characteristics that conceptually separate a "web site" from a "web app", I think in reality they will exist on a continuum. Chris Jones is right that we need more data from actual app developers on this, but I can provide some anecdotal evidence by telling the story of a web app I worked on which got listed in a web app store. I worked on a web-b...

How to use a web user control from one web app in another web app?
I have a production web app project (at work) that has custom web user controls in it.I have another web app project for experimenting and I want to use some web controls from the production web app. The big trick is that I need to load the controls dynamically.LoadControl() doesn't seem to work - it complains about loading controls from a different application. I also tried adding a project reference to the production web app and using "UC1 newUC = new UC1();" and then "this.Controls.Add(newUC);", but the controls (like TextBoxes) on the web user control don't seem to exist on the new UC1s....

Regular web app or Mobile web app.
Im targeting PocketPCs only (w/PocketIE). I changed the web.config to cookieless="true" and placed buttons with events. Im getting the postbacks and everything looks good so far... Can we just use this intead of the mobile web app project? Whats the difference? Duke You can use either a regular Web app or a mobile app, presuming you are targeting ONLY Pocket IE. Pocket IE accepts HTML.Starting with ASP.NET 2.0? Look at:Programming Microsoft Web Forms My Blog...

Setting Default Apps
There just has to be some place, in KDE 4, to set which application is the default for various files. Example: I want xine to open with a .m3u file. I want Opera to open when I click a link in an email in Evolution. Are these setting all in one place? Or, are they in individual config files? I just can't seem to find what I want. Sure will appreciate any help. This is a new installation of 11.2. I sure miss 10.3! -- montana_suse_user ------------------------------------------------------------------------ I change file type associations by navigating to ...

How to set a default web page in asp.net 2003(not by set as start page) ?
My virtual directory name is asp_slv2, project's folder name is slv2, in that UI folder and my start up page is index.aspx So when I type in url: http://190.165.14.21/asp_slv2/slv2/UI/index.aspx then I view my web site but when I type http://190.165.14.21/asp_slv2/slv2/ then it shows complete directory I don't want this to happen. Either it should say page cannot be displayed or redirected to index.aspx. How to do this? URL re-writinghttp://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/urlrewriting.asphttp://www.google.ru/search?hl=en&q=url+rewriting+a...

Help!!! Urgent! Cannot load report within web app with web server set at Medium Trust
Hi, I've recently copied my web app to my host and it errors out on loading a crystal report.  I've contacted my web host and they tell me I've got the rights I need from the web root folder down through subfolders. Their IIS is configured for Medium Trust security.  I tried setting my dev environment identical to my host and found I'm getting the same error.  I've also setup a web deployment package with the right correct Crystal Report Merge modules.  I've also had my host install the correct Crystal Report assemblies to their GAC so they would resemble mine.  Al...

[ALERT][B2G] rendering_WiFi_list_>_moz-app-loaded regressed by 110.0% in settings, settings
<h3 style='margin: 0; padding: 0; font-family: "Open Sans", sans-serif; font-size: 24px; letter-spacing: -0.5px; line-height: 100%; margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 7px'>Performance Regression Alert</h3> <div style="margin: 0; padding: 0"> <div style="margin: 0; padding: 0; font-size: 150%;font-weight: bold;">Score: 4.14</div><br style="margin: 0; padding: 0" /> <span style="margin: 0; padding: 0; font-size: 120%; display:inline-block">Gaia: <a href="https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia/c...

How do I merge web services' app.config with web app's web.config? Help!!
I have a web application project that uses a separate class library containing web service references (service layer). I want to be able to configure the web reference URLs dynamically and I know you can set this up by setting the URL behavior to  'Dynamic', etc, etc. The problem is VS2005 puts the URLs in the project's app.config file. When the class library becomes a DLL component, I have no way of accessing the app.config file.Is there a way to make the web reference project to look for the URLs in the web.config instead of its app.config? Or is there a way to merge this app.config w...

[ALERT][B2G] startup_>_moz-app-visually-complete regressed by 7.59% in settings, settings
<h3 style='margin: 0; padding: 0; font-family: "Open Sans", sans-serif; font-size: 24px; letter-spacing: -0.5px; line-height: 100%; margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 7px'>Performance Regression Alert</h3> <div style="margin: 0; padding: 0"> <div style="margin: 0; padding: 0; font-size: 150%;font-weight: bold;">Score: 2.66</div><br style="margin: 0; padding: 0" /> <span style="margin: 0; padding: 0; font-size: 120%; display:inline-block">Gaia: <a href="https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia/c...

Determining if an app is a web app or a windows app
Hi all,  I'm writing a generic utilites class and one of the methods needs to get the physical path of the application. I know Server.MapPath("~") gets the server path of the app for windows and also that Application.ExecutablePath gets the path for windows app. Now how would i determine which app is a windows app or a web app?   Thanks in advance. add a reference to system.web and then do the following  if (System.Web.HttpContext.Current == null)            {       &...

How to set default web page
Hai, I am having some troubles setting the default.htm page. I am using PowerDynamo 2.0, Sybase Adaptive Server 11.5, PWS, IE 4.0 I want the user to type the name of my computer on the url inputbox of IE4.0 Normally the PWS should return the default web-page to the browers, but I get only an error "/ ...error (440)" I try to give the user a page called "default.stm" which is located in my virtual directory "/WebSite". I have used the Dynamo configuration tool to set a mapping to "/WebSite". In the default-tab, I have field the "Location o...

How to set default web page
How do I set the default web page so that if someone enters my web site IP address my main web page is displayed? I have looked through previous discussions about setting the default page and have tried several of the suggestions but to no avail. I tried Steve Radman's approach of changing the autoexec.ssc last line to point to pagedefault.ssc instead of contview.ssc. I then took his code and created a pagedefault.ssc in the system folder. If the fully qualified url is http://208.216.104.39/golf_league_intl/golf/gl_main.stm what should be used instead of "index.html&q...

Default setting for App Launcher
--____ZRBTKXSLSMMSCVQIXFRU____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Is there a way to make "List" the default view for the App Launcher? --____ZRBTKXSLSMMSCVQIXFRU____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____GNWJREMYMTZLEJIBUIZE____" --____GNWJREMYMTZLEJIBUIZE____ Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type conten...

Web resources about - Default web-apps, replacing, settings - mozilla.dev.b2g

Facebook Tests Replacing Keyword Ad Targeting With Broad Category Targeting
Facebook is testing a major functionality change for its self-serve performance ad tool that would replace the specific Like keyword targeting ...

The Dangers of Replacing Coil Springs on Your Vehicle - Bonus Clip - YouTube
In this episode of Saturday Mechanic bonus clip, Ben and Russ show what happens when a coil spring compressor fails. Subscribe today for more! ...

School apologises for taking cane off blind boy and replacing it with pool noodle
A primary school has apologised for taking away the cane of an eight-year-old blind boy and replacing it swimming pool noddle as a form of punishment. ...

Federation Centres stuns market by replacing CEO Steven Sewell with Angus McNaughton effective immediately ...
Retail landlord Federation Centres has surprised the market with the&nbsp;appointment of&nbsp;former Novion Property's Angus McNaughton as the ...

Replacing China's broken economic gauge
As Chinese growth shifts away from its reliance on heavy industry, we need a new index to the track the ups and downs of the economy.

Cricket officials discuss replacing Michael Clarke with Steven Smith as full-time Australian captain
Senior Australian cricket figures have discussed the option of appointing Steven Smith as the country's permanent captain beyond the World Cup, ...

Apache Software Foundation unveils Hadoop 2, replacing MapReduce with YARN
The Apache Software Foundation unveiled its latest release of its open source data processing program, Hadoop 2. It runs multiple applications ...

Australia spends $110 million a year replacing lost coins
Australians lose 255 million coins every year - down the back of our couches, taken overseas in the pockets of tourists and stuck to footpaths. ...

AMD appoints Lisa Su as first female CEO, replacing Rory Read
AMD has appointed Lisa Su chief executive officer to replace Rory Read, swapping an executive who has stabilised the second-biggest chipmaker's ...

A case of one bad government replacing another
THERE is a widening gap between the sort of government a Tony Abbott-led Coalition will need to become to steer the nation successfully in the ...