B2G debugging documentation

I'm working away at debugging related docs pertaining to Firefox OS. Lots of changes here:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Boot_to_Gecko/Debugging_on_Boot_to_Gecko

We also now have:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Boot_to_Gecko/Debugging_on_Boot_to_Gecko/Setting_up

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Debugger

And next week, I'll be working further on:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Boot_to_Gecko/Debugging_on_Boot_to_Gecko/Using_the_Remote_Web_Console

Please feel free to tweak these if you see any problems, or offer suggestions that will help me make them better.

Eric Shepherd
Developer Documentation Lead
Mozilla
http://www.bitstampede.com/
0
Eric
11/30/2012 11:25:00 PM
mozilla.dev.b2g 4036 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Friday, November 30, 2012 3:25:00 PM UTC-8, Eric Shepherd wrote:
> I'm working away at debugging related docs pertaining to Firefox OS. Lots of changes here:
>

> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Boot_to_Gecko/Debugging_on_Boot_to_Gecko
>

> We also now have:
>

> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Boot_to_Gecko/Debugging_on_Boot_to_Gecko/Setting_up
>

> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Debugger
>

> And next week, I'll be working further on:
>

> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Boot_to_Gecko/Debugging_on_Boot_to_Gecko/Using_the_Remote_Web_Console
>

> Please feel free to tweak these if you see any problems, or offer suggestions that will help me make them better.
>

> Eric Shepherd
>
> Developer Documentation Lead
>
> Mozilla
>
> http://www.bitstampede.com/

Hi Eric.
1)
On Developer.mozilla, it didn't mention going to about:config to enable remote debug option. It is mentioned at hacks.mozilla site:https://hacks.mozilla.org/2012/08/remote-debugging-on-firefox-for-android/

2)
On prefs.js, I read a blog(http://blog.astithas.com/2012_10_01_archive.html) that mentioned below two lines of code which is different from the developer.mozilla. Can you confirm which is correct?
user_pref("devtools.debugger.remote-enabled", true);
user_pref("marionette.defaultPrefs.enabled", false);

3)it seems prefs.js gets replaced when the phone is restarted, can you confirm?

After following all the steps, I am still getting "server not found".
I am using USB cable, host is set to localhost:6000. I am using 12/6/2012 build. My phone is Google Galaxy Nexus.

Thanks,
Brian
0
Tianbing
12/7/2012 5:47:25 AM
On Friday, November 30, 2012 3:25:00 PM UTC-8, Eric Shepherd wrote:
> I'm working away at debugging related docs pertaining to Firefox OS. Lots of changes here:
>

> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Boot_to_Gecko/Debugging_on_Boot_to_Gecko
>

> We also now have:
>

> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Boot_to_Gecko/Debugging_on_Boot_to_Gecko/Setting_up
>

> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Debugger
>

> And next week, I'll be working further on:
>

> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Boot_to_Gecko/Debugging_on_Boot_to_Gecko/Using_the_Remote_Web_Console
>

> Please feel free to tweak these if you see any problems, or offer suggestions that will help me make them better.
>

> Eric Shepherd
>
> Developer Documentation Lead
>
> Mozilla
>
> http://www.bitstampede.com/

Hi Eric.
1)
On Developer.mozilla, it didn't mention going to about:config to enable remote debug option. It is mentioned at hacks.mozilla site:https://hacks.mozilla.org/2012/08/remote-debugging-on-firefox-for-android/

2)
On prefs.js, I read a blog(http://blog.astithas.com/2012_10_01_archive.html) that mentioned below two lines of code which is different from the developer.mozilla. Can you confirm which is correct?
user_pref("devtools.debugger.remote-enabled", true);
user_pref("marionette.defaultPrefs.enabled", false);

3)it seems prefs.js gets replaced when the phone is restarted, can you confirm?

After following all the steps, I am still getting "server not found".
I am using USB cable, host is set to localhost:6000. I am using 12/6/2012 build. My phone is Google Galaxy Nexus.

Thanks,
Brian
0
Tianbing
12/7/2012 5:47:25 AM
On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 7:47 AM, Tianbing Brian Teng <
tianbingteng70@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, November 30, 2012 3:25:00 PM UTC-8, Eric Shepherd wrote:
> > I'm working away at debugging related docs pertaining to Firefox OS.
> Lots of changes here:
> >

> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Boot_to_Gecko/Debugging_on_Boot_to_Gecko
> >
> > We also now have:
> >

> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Boot_to_Gecko/Debugging_on_Boot_to_Gecko/Setting_up
> >
> > https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Debugger
> >
> > And next week, I'll be working further on:
> >

> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Boot_to_Gecko/Debugging_on_Boot_to_Gecko/Using_the_Remote_Web_Console
> >
> > Please feel free to tweak these if you see any problems, or offer
> suggestions that will help me make them better.
> >
> > Eric Shepherd
> > Developer Documentation Lead
> > Mozilla
> > http://www.bitstampede.com/
>
> Hi Eric.
> 1)
> On Developer.mozilla, it didn't mention going to about:config to enable
> remote debug option. It is mentioned at hacks.mozilla site:
> https://hacks.mozilla.org/2012/08/remote-debugging-on-firefox-for-android/

It is also mentioned in the second link above, about setting up debugging.

> 2)
> On prefs.js, I read a blog(
> http://blog.astithas.com/2012_10_01_archive.html) that mentioned below
> two lines of code which is different from the developer.mozilla. Can you
> confirm which is correct?
> user_pref("devtools.debugger.remote-enabled", true);
> user_pref("marionette.defaultPrefs.enabled", false);

The setting up MDN link covers this. Since I wrote that blog post a setting
was added to the Firefox OS settings app, so now you can use that to change
the value of the remote-enabled pref.

3)it seems prefs.js gets replaced when the phone is restarted, can you
> confirm?

That's true, we need to update the doc to note that you should place your
pref overrides to /system/b2g/defaults/pref/user.js which is not changed by
the b2g app.

After following all the steps, I am still getting "server not found".
> I am using USB cable, host is set to localhost:6000. I am using 12/6/2012
> build. My phone is Google Galaxy Nexus.

If you have forwarded port 6000 with adb and 'telnet localhost 6000' works,
then it's a regression that is tracked in bug 818884. You can try using the
previous build until that's fixed.

Panos
0
Panos
12/7/2012 8:11:43 AM
Hi Panos. Thanks for the comments. I have three questions:
1. Do I have to reboot the phone after prefs.js is updated?
2. How do I "place your pref overrides"?
3. On telnet alternative, do you mean I can do it on terminal and then turn on remote debugger on Firefox browser? Can you tell me the exact steps? I am excited to try it out.

Thanks,
Brian
0
Tianbing
12/7/2012 3:28:48 PM

On Friday, December 7, 2012 7:28:48 AM UTC-8, Tianbing Brian Teng wrote:
> Hi Panos. Thanks for the comments. I have three questions:
>
> 1. Do I have to reboot the phone after prefs.js is updated?
>
> 2. How do I "place your pref overrides"?
>
> 3. On telnet alternative, do you mean I can do it on terminal and then turn on remote debugger on Firefox browser? Can you tell me the exact steps? I am excited to try it out.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Brian

One additional question:
2nd link mentions:
On your Firefox OS device, open the Settings app, then Device Information > More Information > Developer. In the developer menu:

Turn on Remote Debugging.
You also need to turn off out-of-process support, until bug 797627 is fixed. Without doing so, only system scripts can be debugged.

Is this step necessary? I don't see it on my phone running last night's build.

Thanks,
Brian
0
Tianbing
12/7/2012 3:53:33 PM
On Friday, December 7, 2012 7:28:48 AM UTC-8, Tianbing Brian Teng wrote:
> Hi Panos. Thanks for the comments. I have three questions:
>
> 1. Do I have to reboot the phone after prefs.js is updated?
>
> 2. How do I "place your pref overrides"?
>
> 3. On telnet alternative, do you mean I can do it on terminal and then turn on remote debugger on Firefox browser? Can you tell me the exact steps? I am excited to try it out.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Brian

One additional question:
2nd link mentions:
On your Firefox OS device, open the Settings app, then Device Information > More Information > Developer. In the developer menu:

Turn on Remote Debugging.
You also need to turn off out-of-process support, until bug 797627 is fixed. Without doing so, only system scripts can be debugged.

Is this step necessary? I don't see it on my phone running last night's build.

Thanks,
Brian
0
Tianbing
12/7/2012 3:53:33 PM
On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Tianbing Brian Teng <
tianbingteng70@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, December 7, 2012 7:28:48 AM UTC-8, Tianbing Brian Teng wrote:
> > Hi Panos. Thanks for the comments. I have three questions:
> >
> > 1. Do I have to reboot the phone after prefs.js is updated?

Either reboot the phone or restart b2g (adb shell stop b2g; adb shell start
b2g).

 > 2. How do I "place your pref overrides"?

Use adb pull to fetch user.js locally, edit the file on your PC as
specified in MDN and then use adb push to put it back.

 > 3. On telnet alternative, do you mean I can do it on terminal and then
> turn on remote debugger on Firefox browser? Can you tell me the exact
> steps? I am excited to try it out.

I only mentioned telnet as a way to test that the port forwarding works and
you can get a connection to the debugger server. Obviously you'll need to
use Firefox to have a regular debugging experience.

> One additional question:
> 2nd link mentions:
> On your Firefox OS device, open the Settings app, then Device Information
> > More Information > Developer. In the developer menu:
>
> Turn on Remote Debugging.
> You also need to turn off out-of-process support, until bug 797627 is
> fixed. Without doing so, only system scripts can be debugged.
>
> Is this step necessary? I don't see it on my phone running last night's
> build.

It is required, yes. I can see both Remote Debugging and Disable
out-of-process in my Unagi which was updated a few minutes ago. If you are
using a device flashed from the master branch, you may be suffering from
bug 818056.

Cheers,
Panos
0
Panos
12/7/2012 6:46:10 PM
Hi Panos. Thanks for the reply. I think the problem is that every time the phone reboots, prefs.js is replaced. I mistakenly thought "place your prefs.js overides" is some magic that tells the phone not to do this.

I do see the links are messed up. It takes me to wrong places when I press BACK button. But I don't see how it is related to the Remote debugger connection failure.

Brian
0
Tianbing
12/7/2012 7:07:57 PM
Hi Panos. Thanks for the reply. I think the problem is that every time the phone reboots, prefs.js is replaced. I mistakenly thought "place your prefs.js overides" is some magic that tells the phone not to do this.

I do see the links are messed up. It takes me to wrong places when I press BACK button. But I don't see how it is related to the Remote debugger connection failure.

Brian
0
Tianbing

Documentation for debugging on B2G and Gaia
I'm starting work on documentation for debugging of B2G itself as well as of Gaia apps, and I'm soliciting opinions as to what topics are the most interesting and most important. If you have thoughts on this, please let me know! Eric Shepherd Developer Documentation Lead Mozilla http://www.bitstampede.com/ ...

[signin][b2g] - B2G->dev merge
We have been discussing forceAuthentication, but there are other B2G features that must be merged into dev. So that JedP and I can prioritize, bisect, and tackle, can we get a list of features and any dependencies they have on other features? Off the top of my head I know of: * forceAuthentication * forceIssuer * allowUnverified * special TOS/PP handling - in B2G, TOS/PP links must be opened in an IFRAME instead of in a new tab. * A way of indicating experimental features Are there other new features that I am missing? We are actively discussing forceAuthentication, but t...

Documentation for debugging on B2G and Gaia
I'm starting work on documentation for debugging of B2G itself as well as of Gaia apps, and I'm soliciting opinions as to what topics are the most interesting and most important. If you have thoughts on this, please let me know! Eric Shepherd Developer Documentation Lead Mozilla http://www.bitstampede.com/ ...

b2g-info now subsumes b2g-procrank and b2g-ps
Dear all, I just merged b2g-info, a tool which gives you information about b2g processes running on a device, into gonk-misc. You can get this new tool by running ./repo sync and then rebuilding with ./build.sh. b2g-info is meant to subsume b2g-procrank and b2g-ps. It (hopefully) outputs all of the useful information from b2g-ps, b2g-procrank, b2g-procrank --nice, and b2g-procrank --oom plus some additional data in a (hopefully) easier-to-digest format. b2g-info is also faster than b2g-procrank, which makes a difference if you're running b2g-info repeatedly from a script. ...

Merging dev-gaia and dev-b2g into dev-fxos
--001a113ce93ebce35d051e4c0c73 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Hello people of Firefox OS, After a discussion we have decided that the distinction between dev-gaia and dev-b2g mailing lists is not enough to warrant maintaining two lists. So we are deprecating both in favor of dev-fxos. So if you are subscribed to one of the aforementioned lists, you will be subscribed to the new dev-fxos list and we will shortly be decommissioning dev-gaia and dev-b2g. Thanks! Michael --001a113ce93ebce35d051e4c0c73 Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: qu...

Merging dev-gaia and dev-b2g into dev-fxos
--001a113ce93ebce35d051e4c0c73 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Hello people of Firefox OS, After a discussion we have decided that the distinction between dev-gaia and dev-b2g mailing lists is not enough to warrant maintaining two lists. So we are deprecating both in favor of dev-fxos. So if you are subscribed to one of the aforementioned lists, you will be subscribed to the new dev-fxos list and we will shortly be decommissioning dev-gaia and dev-b2g. Thanks! Michael --001a113ce93ebce35d051e4c0c73 Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: qu...

dev.b2g and dev.gaia redundancy?
I'm relatively new to the project but I see more overlap than not lately in the dev.b2g and dev.gaia newsgroups. Are the original motivations for having distinct groups still still applicable? Would things be easier for more people if we collapsed down to one group? Is that an awful idea? - A +1, half the emails are sent to both lists to take it further I am sitting alone in #fxos on irc On 4 December 2013 00:22, Asa Dotzler <asa@mozilla.com> wrote: > I'm relatively new to the project but I see more overlap than not lately > in the dev.b2g and dev....

blocking-b2g / feature-b2g / status-b2g-v2.5 change for FxOS 2.5 in Bugzilla
--Apple-Mail=_A344D24D-898F-4783-9B3E-33CDD840A153 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8 Dear b2g friends, Just to inform you the following change has been applied to Bugzilla = since we have announced FxOS 2.5: 1. blocking-b2g and feature-b2g flags are renamed from 3.0?/+ to = 2.5?/+. 2. New tracking flag status-b2g-v2.5 is created. Sincerely, ------------------------------------------------------- Josh Cheng Engineering Project Manager, Firefox OS Mozilla Corporation =E2=9C=89 joshcheng@mozilla.com <mailto:joche...

What needs documenting in B2G?
We may be contracting out to help get the core B2G docs up to date. By that, I mean, things other than Web-facing stuff. Things like core libraries, architecture, that kind of thing. Anyone aware of things that need documenting or their docs updated? I'm building a list for the statement of work, so don't be shy! If it matters to you, let me know! -- Eric Shepherd Developer Documentation Lead Mozilla Blog: http://www.bitstampede.com/ Twitter: @sheppy On 2013-06-14 15:51:14 +0000, Gabriele Svelto said: > Will this documentation be oriented towards developer...

Debugging apps on B2G
Hi, As for introduction, I'm David Bruant, Mozilla contributor for a couple of years now, mostly on JavaScript docs, occasional bug triaging and commenting. I'm currently contracting for Mozilla to document WebAPIs and I've decided to focus first on APIs available to non-certified app developers. Before anything else, I'm cross-posting on both dev-b2g and dev-gaia because I'm not sure which of both is the relevant mailing-list. Feel free to drop the one that is not relevant from CCs if applicable. Apologies for the noise. I've discovered on the de...

Debug mochitests on B2G
At the last work week, Jonas indicated it was important to get mochitests (and other tests) running on debug builds, since tests running against debug builds catch assertions, which are silently ignored on opt builds. These assertions indicate some unexpected state was reached in the code, which is usually indicative of a bug. We have had debug mochitests running on cedar for a while now. They're all orange or red. I've just finished triaging them and have filed bugs for all the unique failures; see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=916359&hi...

B2G debugging docs
[...]

Web resources about - B2G debugging documentation - mozilla.dev.b2g

GNU Free Documentation License - Wikipedia
GNU Free Documentation License ( GFDL eller GNU FDL ) är en upphovsrättslig licens vars syfte är att befrämja spridning och utveckling av textdokument. ...

Facebook Tweaks Documentation For Developers
Facebook continued its focus on developers with its release Thursday of improved documentation for FQL and the software-development kits for ...

Making Our Documentation Better
Over the past several months, our engineering team has been working on improving the quality of our documentation. Today, we are excited to announce ...

Facebook shares new documentation for local currency pricing, sets migration for Q3
Facebook today provided updates regarding its transition from Credits to local currency pricing. The company offered new documentation for game ...

Emergent Documentation: One way that Agile is very different from Waterfall.
(from a 2012 email) One of the questions I always get around the use of Agile is, how do you do the documentation? Many people are very uncomfortable ...

BIMx Pro - Building Information Model eXplorer for complete project documentations on the App Store on ...
Get BIMx Pro - Building Information Model eXplorer for complete project documentations on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read ...

Documentation in Software Development
There is currently a trend to produce “just enough” documentation in software development. We should however not forgot that what we might estimate ...

The Documentation Dilemma
Back when 37signals was consulting, we gradually weaned ourselves off of documentation. It’s normal practice in the design world to produce lots ...

Apple publishes OS X Mavericks and iOS 7 Core Technologies Overview documentation
A new developer document posted to Apple’s website today details the technologies that power OS X Mavericks. The 36-page document includes information ...

Facebook Releases ThreatExchange API Documentation
... information about malware and other security threats, and the social network announced Friday that the application-programming-interface documentation ...