[summary of dev.platform thread] Please consider implementing new B2G features in C++ instead of JS

Hi all.

Not everyone on this newsgroup reads dev.platform, so I wanted to
summarize a discussion we recently had there for this audience.

Essentially, gecko in B2G uses a lot of memory for its JS components.
About half of this is due to four workers (RIL, Net, WiFi * 2), and
the rest is spread out among various bits of Gecko:
BrowserElementParent.jsm, Webapps.js, and hundreds of other files.

If we're going to continue targeting 256mb devices, where we have
~120mb available for all Gecko processes, I argued that we need to
improve this situation.  We also need to not make the situation worse.

The main impact of this on you is that before you implement a new
feature, please stop and consider whether you can write in C++; in
general, a C++ implementation will use far less memory than an
equivalent JS implementation.  Please be particularly wary of adding
new worker threads; these are very expensive.

If you're not sure whether you ought to write your feature in JS or
C++, it might be worth talking with a DOM peer.

To emphasize: We haven't outlawed writing new features in JS; the
consensus was simply that JS should not be the default.

If you want to read the whole thread, it's on Google Groups.  I
summarized our conclusions in [1], and the initial post is [2].

Happy hacking,
-Justin

[1] https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.platform/XMkcvEAeA60/BOTx1d-1y8gJ
[2] https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.platform/XMkcvEAeA60/bNKVZdrRcn4J
0
Justin
4/23/2013 7:57:07 PM
mozilla.dev.b2g 4036 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

[signin][b2g] - B2G->dev merge
We have been discussing forceAuthentication, but there are other B2G features that must be merged into dev. So that JedP and I can prioritize, bisect, and tackle, can we get a list of features and any dependencies they have on other features? Off the top of my head I know of: * forceAuthentication * forceIssuer * allowUnverified * special TOS/PP handling - in B2G, TOS/PP links must be opened in an IFRAME instead of in a new tab. * A way of indicating experimental features Are there other new features that I am missing? We are actively discussing forceAuthentication, but t...

Merging dev-gaia and dev-b2g into dev-fxos
--001a113ce93ebce35d051e4c0c73 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Hello people of Firefox OS, After a discussion we have decided that the distinction between dev-gaia and dev-b2g mailing lists is not enough to warrant maintaining two lists. So we are deprecating both in favor of dev-fxos. So if you are subscribed to one of the aforementioned lists, you will be subscribed to the new dev-fxos list and we will shortly be decommissioning dev-gaia and dev-b2g. Thanks! Michael --001a113ce93ebce35d051e4c0c73 Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: qu...

Merging dev-gaia and dev-b2g into dev-fxos
--001a113ce93ebce35d051e4c0c73 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Hello people of Firefox OS, After a discussion we have decided that the distinction between dev-gaia and dev-b2g mailing lists is not enough to warrant maintaining two lists. So we are deprecating both in favor of dev-fxos. So if you are subscribed to one of the aforementioned lists, you will be subscribed to the new dev-fxos list and we will shortly be decommissioning dev-gaia and dev-b2g. Thanks! Michael --001a113ce93ebce35d051e4c0c73 Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: qu...

dev.b2g and dev.gaia redundancy?
I'm relatively new to the project but I see more overlap than not lately in the dev.b2g and dev.gaia newsgroups. Are the original motivations for having distinct groups still still applicable? Would things be easier for more people if we collapsed down to one group? Is that an awful idea? - A +1, half the emails are sent to both lists to take it further I am sitting alone in #fxos on irc On 4 December 2013 00:22, Asa Dotzler <asa@mozilla.com> wrote: > I'm relatively new to the project but I see more overlap than not lately > in the dev.b2g and dev....

mailman config changed; text/html should now show up in dev-gaia and dev-b2g and links should not be corrupted
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------040907020305070007060305 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Assuming all has gone well, the mailman list-server software we use for dev-b2g and dev-gaia should no longer force multipart/alternative mail messages to use the first sub-part (which is likely to be text/plain). What this means is that if you use the gmail web UI to talk on the list and your hyperlinks have ended up messed up, that should stop happening. (This, by definition, is/was a bug in gmail'...

mailman config changed; text/html should now show up in dev-gaia and dev-b2g and links should not be corrupted
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------040907020305070007060305 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Assuming all has gone well, the mailman list-server software we use for dev-b2g and dev-gaia should no longer force multipart/alternative mail messages to use the first sub-part (which is likely to be text/plain). What this means is that if you use the gmail web UI to talk on the list and your hyperlinks have ended up messed up, that should stop happening. (This, by definition, is/was a bug in gmail'...

blocking-b2g / feature-b2g / status-b2g-v2.5 change for FxOS 2.5 in Bugzilla
--Apple-Mail=_A344D24D-898F-4783-9B3E-33CDD840A153 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8 Dear b2g friends, Just to inform you the following change has been applied to Bugzilla = since we have announced FxOS 2.5: 1. blocking-b2g and feature-b2g flags are renamed from 3.0?/+ to = 2.5?/+. 2. New tracking flag status-b2g-v2.5 is created. Sincerely, ------------------------------------------------------- Josh Cheng Engineering Project Manager, Firefox OS Mozilla Corporation =E2=9C=89 joshcheng@mozilla.com <mailto:joche...

Moving tempdb from master dev to new dev
How can I do this move....??? Thanks Zul Azmi Ahmad wrote: > > Rabindranath Raj wrote: > > > > How can I do this move....??? > > Thanks > > yes bb Are you having trouble with the posting of notes? On Mon, 13 Apr 1998 12:31:04 +0800, in sybase.public.sqlserver.administration Rabindranath Raj <rabin@bbmb.com.my> wrote: >Zul Azmi Ahmad wrote: >> >> Rabindranath Raj wrote: >> > >> > How can I do this move....??? >> > Thanks >> >> yes >bb Rabindranath Raj wrote: ...

Merging dev-tech-layout into dev-platform
Today I found out that I had missed a post from David Baron on dev-tech-layout, because I had no idea that this list exists. I think dev-platform is a better place to have the conversation related to the layout module (people are already having discussions about other modules over there). Does anybody have any objections? Cheers, Ehsan ...

Merging dev-tech-layout into dev-platform
Today I found out that I had missed a post from David Baron on dev-tech-layout, because I had no idea that this list exists. I think dev-platform is a better place to have the conversation related to the layout module (people are already having discussions about other modules over there). Does anybody have any objections? Cheers, Ehsan ...

Is dev-platform for platform users or platform developers?
So since dev-tech-xpcom closed, there's been an awful lot of traffic on dev-platform from platform users. I don't really have time to read this, and it probably means I'll be paying less attention to the platform developer traffic on dev-platform (if any at all; I'd long since unsubscribed to dev-tech-xpcom until told to resubscribe to follow the XPCOM memory management discussion). Does this discussion belong on dev-platform, or should it be redirected elsewhere? -David -- L. David Baron http://dbaron.org/ Mozilla Corporation ...

b2g-info now subsumes b2g-procrank and b2g-ps
Dear all, I just merged b2g-info, a tool which gives you information about b2g processes running on a device, into gonk-misc. You can get this new tool by running ./repo sync and then rebuilding with ./build.sh. b2g-info is meant to subsume b2g-procrank and b2g-ps. It (hopefully) outputs all of the useful information from b2g-ps, b2g-procrank, b2g-procrank --nice, and b2g-procrank --oom plus some additional data in a (hopefully) easier-to-digest format. b2g-info is also faster than b2g-procrank, which makes a difference if you're running b2g-info repeatedly from a script. ...

Devs: please consider most-voted bugs
I'm amazed to see that the "bounce" feature has 256 (a byte, yay) votes. That makes it #3 of the top most-voted bugs for Thunderbird (including Mailnews Core). I think we should take votes into consideration when deciding what to work on. That's one way to listen to users. Although that's arguably screwed towards advanced users, fixing the top pet peeves of our users is surely a good thing and will help the reputation of Thunderbird. Here's the list (click twice on Votes header to sort by that): <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?resolution=...

Consolidating dev-webapi into dev-platform after Friday (2015-06-19)
Unless you have serious objections, I'm going to request that dev-webapi redirects to dev-platform as of this coming Saturday at 00:00. A few people have pointed out that having the split mailing list is causing confusion about where to send emails and the traffic level doesn't seem to me to justify its continued existence. ...

Web resources about - [summary of dev.platform thread] Please consider implementing new B2G features in C++ instead of JS - mozilla.dev.b2g

Implementing Recommendations of the 9/11 Commission Act of 2007 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Passed the House on January 9, 2007 (299-128 Roll call vote 015 , via Clerk.House.gov) Reported by the joint conference committee on July 25, ...

Hearing on “Reviewing the Rules and Regulations Implementing Federal Wage and Hour Standards.” - YouTube ...
SUBCOMMITTEE ON WORKFORCE PROTECTIONS hearing at 10:30 a.m. in room 2175 Rayburn House Office Building. Hearing on “Reviewing the Rules and Regulations ...

Iran, U.S., EU begin implementing historic nuclear deal
Iran unplugged banks of centrifuges involved in its most sensitive uranium enrichment work on Monday, prompting the United States and European ...

Iraq to talk with Syria on implementing AL deal
Iraq on Thursday agreed with the Arab League (AL) to try to convince Syria to implement the bloc's initiative in a bid to avoid economic sanctions ...

Iran says differences over implementing nuclear deal solved: negotiator
Montreal Gazette Iran says differences over implementing nuclear deal solved: negotiator People's Daily Online Global TimesChinadaily.com.cn ...

China, Kazakhstan to enhance cooperation by implementing Silk Road initiative
China, Kazakhstan to enhance cooperation by implementing Silk Road initiative

Guess? exec says company saw immediate improvements after implementing iPads in stores
BusinessInsider pointed us to an interview on OpenForum with CIO of clothing retailer Guess?, Michael Relich. The company implemented iPads for ...

Sheriff Joe Arpaio: MCSO implementing 'patriotic' campaign with US flag at each cell
The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office announced it started a campaign to display U.S. flags on every cell among its jails. Any vandalism will ...

Change Has Come: OFCCP Publishes Final Rule Implementing Executive Order Prohibiting Federal Contractors ...
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (“OFCCP”) published a final rule today, implementing Executive ...