Thunderbird 3 vs Thunderbird 2

Guys,

I just tried upgrading from Thunderbird 2 to 3 beta (using Fedora
rawhide which uses Thunderbird 3 beta 2).

Now I thought I'd post something peculiar I found concerning posting to
newsgroups (and apparently also SMTP sending).

I have set up in my setting for the newsgroup to use my outgoing SMTP
server.
This SMTP server is to use authentication.

After upgrade to Thunderbird 3, I couldn't post or send emails...
My SMTP server doesn't support authentication!

I used Wireshark to trace where TB2 was sending my news posts.
According to the packets I captured TB2 uses the news server to post -
not the SMTP server (even though it is set to use it in the account).

... Now I see two problems here:

1) TB2 Seems to do whatever it wants and works (ie, bad configs are not
corrected!).
2) TB3 does not give out much in the sense of errors, or logging.

I'd prefer to be able to see maybe some verbose / logged output of what
is going on behind the scenes.
We have the javascript error console - why not a transfer/communication
error logger?

Thanks for reading this - TB3 looks great so far.
And I'm not saying that TB3 not working is BAD (the settings are incorrect).

But I needed to get in a network packet sniffer to try and figure out
what was going on - and that can't be right, can it?

--
Tr0n
0
Tr0n
4/12/2009 3:54:59 PM
mozilla.dev.apps.thunderbird 3435 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

4 Replies
676 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 2

Tr0n wrote:
> I'd prefer to be able to see maybe some verbose / logged output of what
> is going on behind the scenes.
> We have the javascript error console - why not a transfer/communication
> error logger?

We do have logging facilities for protocols: see 
<https://wiki.mozilla.org/MailNews:Logging>.
0
Joshua
4/12/2009 4:24:59 PM
Tr0n on 4/12/2009 11:54 AM, keyboarded a reply:
> Guys,
> 
> I just tried upgrading from Thunderbird 2 to 3 beta (using Fedora
> rawhide which uses Thunderbird 3 beta 2).
> 
> Now I thought I'd post something peculiar I found concerning posting to
> newsgroups (and apparently also SMTP sending).
> 
> I have set up in my setting for the newsgroup to use my outgoing SMTP
> server.
> This SMTP server is to use authentication.
> 
> After upgrade to Thunderbird 3, I couldn't post or send emails...
> My SMTP server doesn't support authentication!
> 
> I used Wireshark to trace where TB2 was sending my news posts.
> According to the packets I captured TB2 uses the news server to post -
> not the SMTP server (even though it is set to use it in the account).
> 
> .. Now I see two problems here:
> 
> 1) TB2 Seems to do whatever it wants and works (ie, bad configs are not
> corrected!).
> 2) TB3 does not give out much in the sense of errors, or logging.
> 
> I'd prefer to be able to see maybe some verbose / logged output of what
> is going on behind the scenes.
> We have the javascript error console - why not a transfer/communication
> error logger?
> 
> Thanks for reading this - TB3 looks great so far.
> And I'm not saying that TB3 not working is BAD (the settings are incorrect).
> 
> But I needed to get in a network packet sniffer to try and figure out
> what was going on - and that can't be right, can it?
> 
> --
> Tr0n


There is a frequent mis-perception that within News account settings, that 
an SMTP entry is used for news posting.  It is rather an assignment for the 
use case of wanting to send to both a news server and selected e-mail 
recipients. Meaning You have control over which e-mail server will send the 
mailed copy of the news posting. In normal news posting use, the SMTP entry 
for the news account is ignored, or should be.



-- 
Ron K.
Who is General Failure, and why is he searching my HDD?
Kernel Restore reported Major Error used BSOD to msg the enemy!
0
Ron
4/12/2009 8:29:59 PM
On 12-04-2009 22:29 CET, Ron K. composed this enchanting statement:
> Tr0n on 4/12/2009 11:54 AM, keyboarded a reply:
>> Guys,
>>
>> <x>
>> Now I thought I'd post something peculiar I found concerning posting to
>> newsgroups (and apparently also SMTP sending).
>>
>> <x>
>> After upgrade to Thunderbird 3, I couldn't post or send emails...
>> My SMTP server doesn't support authentication!
>>
>> I used Wireshark to trace where TB2 was sending my news posts.
>> According to the packets I captured TB2 uses the news server to post -
>> not the SMTP server (even though it is set to use it in the account).
>>
>> <x>
> There is a frequent mis-perception that within News account settings, 
> that an SMTP entry is used for news posting.  It is rather an 
> assignment for the use case of wanting to send to both a news server 
> and selected e-mail recipients. Meaning You have control over which 
> e-mail server will send the mailed copy of the news posting. In normal 
> news posting use, the SMTP entry for the news account is ignored, or 
> should be.
>
One could use 'reply all' or add a cc: to send a copy of the news 
message to (an) email address. That 'carbon copy' goes outbound via 
SMTP, of course. ;-)

-- 
Kind regards,
Melchert

(MacOS 10.3.9 / Firefox 2.0, Thunderbird 2.0)
0
Melchert
4/13/2009 8:25:21 AM
On 04/13/2009 09:25 AM, Melchert Fruitema wrote:
> On 12-04-2009 22:29 CET, Ron K. composed this enchanting statement:
>> Tr0n on 4/12/2009 11:54 AM, keyboarded a reply:
>>> Guys,
>>>
>>> <x>
>>> Now I thought I'd post something peculiar I found concerning posting to
>>> newsgroups (and apparently also SMTP sending).
>>>
>>> <x>
>>> After upgrade to Thunderbird 3, I couldn't post or send emails...
>>> My SMTP server doesn't support authentication!
>>>
>>> I used Wireshark to trace where TB2 was sending my news posts.
>>> According to the packets I captured TB2 uses the news server to post -
>>> not the SMTP server (even though it is set to use it in the account).
>>>
>>> <x>
>> There is a frequent mis-perception that within News account settings,
>> that an SMTP entry is used for news posting. It is rather an
>> assignment for the use case of wanting to send to both a news server
>> and selected e-mail recipients. Meaning You have control over which
>> e-mail server will send the mailed copy of the news posting. In normal
>> news posting use, the SMTP entry for the news account is ignored, or
>> should be.
>>
> One could use 'reply all' or add a cc: to send a copy of the news
> message to (an) email address. That 'carbon copy' goes outbound via
> SMTP, of course. ;-)
>

Oh right.
... Okay, so this post is actually going via the mozilla news server?
... And any NNTP posts made are going BACK through the respective mail 
server?

I thought I couldn't post until I set the SMTP server - but it must have 
been because I couldn't authenticate fully with the news server.

Thanks for the info guys (thanks for the link to the logging for 
protocols too!).

--
Tr0n
0
Tr0n
4/13/2009 7:28:28 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

superreview requested: [Bug 273977] Thunderbird does not identify itself correctly to iListen voice rec application (Thunderbird.app vs thunderbird-bin ?) : [Attachment 220339] Patch that uses MOZ_APP #3
David Bienvenu <bienvenu@nventure.com> has asked for superreview: Bug 273977: Thunderbird does not identify itself correctly to iListen voice rec application (Thunderbird.app vs thunderbird-bin ?) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=273977 Attachment 220339: Patch that uses MOZ_APP_DISPLAYNAME for executable https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=220339&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from David Bienvenu <bienvenu@nventure.com> you need to request reviews of people - bugzilla should really complain about that! ...

superreview requested: [Bug 273977] Thunderbird does not identify itself correctly to iListen voice rec application (Thunderbird.app vs thunderbird-bin ?) : [Attachment 217422] Patch against current b #3
Josh Aas <joshmoz@gmail.com> has asked for superreview: Bug 273977: Thunderbird does not identify itself correctly to iListen voice rec application (Thunderbird.app vs thunderbird-bin ?) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=273977 Attachment 217422: Patch against current branch files https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=217422&action=edit ...

superreview requested: [Bug 273977] Thunderbird does not identify itself correctly to iListen voice rec application (Thunderbird.app vs thunderbird-bin ?) : [Attachment 220339] Patch that uses MOZ_APP #2
Chris Andrichak <chris@grope.com> has asked for superreview: Bug 273977: Thunderbird does not identify itself correctly to iListen voice rec application (Thunderbird.app vs thunderbird-bin ?) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=273977 Attachment 220339: Patch that uses MOZ_APP_DISPLAYNAME for executable https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=220339&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Chris Andrichak <chris@grope.com> Getting the executable name from the variable at mark's suggestion, the make file now swaps it into the plist file also....

superreview requested: [Bug 273977] Thunderbird does not identify itself correctly to iListen voice rec application (Thunderbird.app vs thunderbird-bin ?) : [Attachment 217422] Patch against current b #2
Josh Aas <joshmoz@gmail.com> has asked for superreview: Bug 273977: Thunderbird does not identify itself correctly to iListen voice rec application (Thunderbird.app vs thunderbird-bin ?) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=273977 Attachment 217422: Patch against current branch files https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=217422&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Josh Aas <joshmoz@gmail.com> I know mark isn't sr, but I want him to review this and I can't request another normal review via flags... I suspect this won't be as sa...

Thunderbird to Thunderbird
Our laptop went bad but hard drive is good and have accessed it. How do I transfer the email etc. from the old laptop to a desktop computer with a fresh install of thunderbird? Thank you! zparky wrote: > Our laptop went bad but hard drive is good and have accessed it. How do > I transfer the email etc. from the old laptop to a desktop computer with > a fresh install of thunderbird? > Thank you! Find your profile folder on the old drive. (This will help you find it: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird Use the instructions for Vista if you are...

Thunderbird To Thunderbird #2
Just downloaded and set up Thunderbird on my PC laptop. I transferred my contacts from Opera to Thunderbird. I set up a bunch of eMail Accounts. I put fresh install on my desktop PC. I see how to get the contacts from the laptop to the desktop. How do I get the eMail account setup from the laptop to the desktop. I do not see any export / import for that. Is there a file to copy over? Some utility to maintain the Accounts? On 06/20/2013 10:56 PM, OldGuy wrote: > Just downloaded and set up Thunderbird on my PC laptop. > I transferred my contacts from Opera to Thunder...

Profile migration from Thunderbird 2 to Thunderbird 3
Can I copy & paste the profile directory from Thunderbird 2 to Thunderbird 3 and it will work, or is there another better way? Thanks. On 15/12/09 23:24, Julián Mejio Cárdenas wrote: > Can I copy & paste the profile directory from Thunderbird 2 to > Thunderbird 3 and it will work, or is there another better way? There should be nothing to do. Just install 3 and run it. Ludo -- Ludovic Hirlimann MozillaMessaging QA lead http://www.spreadthunderbird.com/aff/79/2 El 2009-12-17 08:05, Ludovic Hirlimann escribió: > On 15/12/09 23:24, Julián M...

[Fw[Fwd: [kde-linux] ThunderBird vs. KDE 3.4 Branch]d: [kde-linux] ThunderBird vs. KDE 3.4 Branch]
Anybody here have any idea what could be causing this. I let it run a while longer and the VmSize went to over 250,000. -------- Original Message -------- Subject: [kde-linux] ThunderBird vs. KDE 3.4 Branch Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:22:31 -0700 From: James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj@acm.org> Reply-To: kde-linux@kde.org To: Kde-Linux <kde-linux@kde.org> Is it possible that KDE 3.4.0+ is screwing up ThunderBird. Since I upgraded (CVS built from source), ThunderBird has been doing strange things. ThunderBird will simply stop working for a while. I checked with KSysGu...

superreview denied: [Bug 273977] Thunderbird does not identify itself correctly to iListen voice rec application (Thunderbird.app vs thunderbird-bin ?) : [Attachment 217422] Patch against current bran
Mark Mentovai <mark@moxienet.com> has denied Josh Aas <joshmoz@gmail.com>'s request for superreview: Bug 273977: Thunderbird does not identify itself correctly to iListen voice rec application (Thunderbird.app vs thunderbird-bin ?) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=273977 Attachment 217422: Patch against current branch files https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=217422&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Mark Mentovai <mark@moxienet.com> The app bundle's name is ThunderbirdDebug during a debug build. I'd be pleased to...

superreview granted: [Bug 273977] Thunderbird does not identify itself correctly to iListen voice rec application (Thunderbird.app vs thunderbird-bin ?) : [Attachment 220339] Patch that uses MOZ_APP_D
Mark Mentovai <mark@moxienet.com> has granted David Bienvenu <bienvenu@nventure.com>'s request for superreview: Bug 273977: Thunderbird does not identify itself correctly to iListen voice rec application (Thunderbird.app vs thunderbird-bin ?) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=273977 Attachment 220339: Patch that uses MOZ_APP_DISPLAYNAME for executable https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=220339&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Mark Mentovai <mark@moxienet.com> This comment isn't necessary: +# Executable should match ...

Thunderbird 3 Bugday, Thursday 3/05
Thunderbird, Seamonkey, Calendar users ... you can help. Focus continues on improving and resolving bugs reported against trunk (v3). If you haven't participated yet, now is a good time to dip your toes into bug triage. You don't have to be running trunk to help. You can get advice on IRC in #bugday. http://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:QA_TestDay:2009-02-12 has tips and starting points. Please join us this Thursday in #bugday! Ludovic http://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Testing lists additional ways to contribute to Thunderbird's progress. -- Ludovic Hirlim...

Thunderbird and Thunderbird portable
Hi I use thunderbird on my home computer but travel to other friends and family and would like to use thunderbird portable Pleas can someone give an idiot proff step by step on how to transfer my account settings etc to my U3 usb Thanks On 4/23/2009 10:16 AM, user@domain.invalid wrote: > Hi I use thunderbird on my home computer but travel to other friends and > family and would like to use thunderbird portable Pleas can someone give > an idiot proff step by step on how to transfer my account settings etc > to my U3 usb > > Thanks See: http://kb.mozillazin...

Thunderbird
Hi all, I have a thunderbird install on a pc, I want to transfer all the emails on a new pc, how do I go about it? Thanks Anastassios On 17.10.2007 08:01 UK Time, Anastassios Giannaras wrote: > Hi all, > > I have a thunderbird install on a pc, I want to transfer all the emails > on a new pc, how do I go about it? No need to import - simply move/copy your whole mail folder to the new PC and tell TB where to find it. Please ask again if you need more detailed instructions (or someone else will probably provide them anyway). -- Herbert Eppel www.HETr...

Thunderbird 2.0 RC1 = Thunderbird 2.0 final?
Hi, I just wanted to ask if there is any difference between Thunderbird 2.0 RC1 and Thunderbird 2.0 final or is it all the same? I just ask because I need Portable Thunderbird 2.0 and there is only a Portable Thunderbird 2.0 RC1 available. Thanks in advance. Have a nice weekend! On 4/21/2007 6:06 AM, Tbird Leader Spiderman radioed the tower to announce : > Hi, > I just wanted to ask if there is any difference between Thunderbird 2.0 > RC1 and Thunderbird 2.0 final or is it all the same? I just ask because > I need Portable Thunderbird 2.0 and there is only a Portable Th...

Web resources about - Thunderbird 3 vs Thunderbird 2 - mozilla.dev.apps.thunderbird

Mozilla Thunderbird
Mozilla Thunderbird is created by a global non-profit dedicated to putting individuals in control and shaping the future of the web for the public ...

Thunderbirds Are Go - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thunderbirds Are Go is a 1966 British science-fiction film based on Thunderbirds , a 1960s television series starring marionette puppets and ...

Edit - Thunderbird - CrunchBase Product Profile
TechCrunch CrunchBase More TechCrunch Europe TechCrunch France TechCrunch Japan Register - Login or Advanced Search Home > Products > Thunderbird ...

F-16C Thunderbirds Formation - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
USAF Thunderbirds at the 2008 Battle Creek Air Show

Thunderbirds Are Go - Introducing The World - YouTube
The world of Thunderbirds Are Go, Tracy Island, miniature sets and craft have been lovingly made by none other than WETA Workshop - the model ...

Thunderbirds are go: First pictures of TV remake
The first images of the upcoming TV reboot of the iconic series Thunderbirds have been released, recasting the iconic puppets from the 1960s ...

Thunderbirds creator Gerry Anderson dies aged 83
... puppet TV shows Captain Scarlet, Stingray and Joe 90 died in his sleep, his son announces. Gerry Anderson, best known as the creator of Thunderbirds ...

Firebirds hold nerve to hold out Thunderbirds
It was another close shave but Queensland Firebirds coach Roselee Jencke was happy for her side to take a second straight win.

Thunderbirds are go, puppets are gone
Human Thunderbirds? What does this mean, writes James Cockington. - The Age Online

Southerners steal last-gasp draw against Thunderbirds
Southern Steel stole a 53-53 draw in the chaotic final seconds of their trans-Tasman netball league clash against Adelaide Thunderbirds.

Resources last updated: 12/14/2015 5:22:01 AM