TB as secure mail app with Yahoo

I just received an email today alerting me that they're going to stop
supporting the current sign-in functionality for non-Yahoo applications
in a few weeks time. Has anyone else using Yahoo mail received a message
like this today?

I use TB (68.12.0) on a Mac with Yahoo accounts set up for fetching with
POP and sending with SMTP.
One of the options Yahoo gives is to continue using my non-Yahoo app,
but apparently I have to remove my account from the app, then add it
back again. Seems very strange to me. Does anyone know what to make of this?

--
Tigerrrrrrrr
0

On 14/09/2020 20:24, Tiger wrote:
> I just received an email today alerting me that they're going to stop
> supporting the current sign-in functionality for non-Yahoo applications
> in a few weeks time. Has anyone else using Yahoo mail received a message
> like this today?

Never mind. I found the solution explained all here, step by step on
this Mozilla support page:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-yahoo

It appears to be updated now, but I will need to wait until the 20th of
October (Yahoo will stop supporting the "old" sign-in method) to be sure.

--
Tigerrrrrrrr
0
On 9/15/20 4:23 PM, Tiger wrote:
> On 14/09/2020 20:24, Tiger wrote:
>> I just received an email today alerting me that they're going to stop
>> supporting the current sign-in functionality for non-Yahoo
>> applications in a few weeks time. Has anyone else using Yahoo mail
>> received a message like this today?
>

> Never mind. I found the solution explained all here, step by step on
> this Mozilla support page:
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/thunderbird-and-yahoo
>
> It appears to be updated now, but I will need to wait until the 20th of
> October (Yahoo will stop supporting the "old" sign-in method) to be sure.

Choose Option #3.

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://give.thunderbird.net/en-US/
On 15/09/2020 4:24 am, Tiger wrote:
> I just received an email today alerting me that they're going to stop
> supporting the current sign-in functionality for non-Yahoo applications
> in a few weeks time. Has anyone else using Yahoo mail received a message
> like this today?
>
> I use TB (68.12.0) on a Mac with Yahoo accounts set up for fetching with
> POP and sending with SMTP.
> One of the options Yahoo gives is to continue using my non-Yahoo app,
> but apparently I have to remove my account from the app, then add it
> back again. Seems very strange to me. Does anyone know what to make of
> this?

Yes - I received my first notification some weeks back and followed the
instructions for Thunderbird at that time. On entering the Thunderbird
password on Thunderbird opening the Yahoo account is checked individually.

--
Regards

Jim Wood, Cairns
0
Jim
9/16/2020 2:04:48 AM
On 16/09/2020 04:04, Jim Wood wrote:
> On 15/09/2020 4:24 am, Tiger wrote:
>> I just received an email today alerting me that they're going to stop
>> supporting the current sign-in functionality for non-Yahoo
>> applications

>> Seems very strange to me. Does anyone know what to make of
>> this?
>>

> Yes - I received my first notification some weeks back and followed the
> instructions for Thunderbird at that time. On entering the Thunderbird
> password on Thunderbird opening the Yahoo account is checked individually.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I already used the other method (Oauth2) for Thunderbird, but option #3
came in handy for my iPad as I don't see any Oauth2 option there.

It worked as explained in the link from Yahoo
(https://uk.help.yahoo.com/kb/new-mail-for-desktop/SLN15241.html?impressions=true)
but I'm a little confused... a password is generated at Yahoo's website
(the link above) but is this a password unique to that specific mail app
on my iPad?
And is there a way to change the password?

--
Tigerrrrrrrr
0