Support for refugees from Vista's Windows Mail in Thunderbird 3?

Microsoft is terminating both Windows XP's "Outlook Express" and Vista's 
"Windows Mail" in favor of "Windows Live Mail".  Judging from my experience 
trying Windows Live Mail (see www.segal.org/tablet/live/) and from the 
negative impressions voiced in the windows.public.windows.live.mail.desktop 
newsgroup, the switch to Windows Live Mail could be an occasion for many 
people to move to Thunderbird.

Vista users are unlikely to switch to Thunderbird 2 since it only imports 
from older mail programs and not from Vista's "Windows Mail" or Vista's 
"Contacts".  Will such import capabilities be part of Thunderbird 3? 
Leaving this out would be a missed opportunity. 

0
Mickey
1/25/2009 2:23:40 AM
mozilla.dev.apps.thunderbird 3309 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

12 Replies
512 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 48

Mickey Segal wrote:
> Vista users are unlikely to switch to Thunderbird 2 since it only 
> imports from older mail programs and not from Vista's "Windows Mail" or 
> Vista's "Contacts".  Will such import capabilities be part of 
> Thunderbird 3? Leaving this out would be a missed opportunity.

The bug can be tracked here: 
<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=394687>. It has already 
been identified as wanted for TB 3, but not blocking. I don't know 
enough to be able to say whether or not this makes TB 3.
0
Joshua
1/25/2009 3:14:13 AM
"Joshua Cranmer" <Pidgeot18@verizon.net> wrote in message 
news:8IidnX3X9-ebRObUnZ2dnUVZ_ozinZ2d@mozilla.org...
> The bug can be tracked here: 
> <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=394687>. It has already been 
> identified as wanted for TB 3, but not blocking. I don't know enough to be 
> able to say whether or not this makes TB 3.

Thanks, though it seems like a very manual process.  How about using or 
importing the Vista Contacts? 

0
Mickey
1/25/2009 4:41:27 PM
Mickey Segal on 1/25/2009 11:41 AM, keyboarded a reply:
> "Joshua Cranmer" <Pidgeot18@verizon.net> wrote in message 
> news:8IidnX3X9-ebRObUnZ2dnUVZ_ozinZ2d@mozilla.org...
>> The bug can be tracked here: 
>> <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=394687>. It has already 
>> been identified as wanted for TB 3, but not blocking. I don't know 
>> enough to be able to say whether or not this makes TB 3.
> 
> Thanks, though it seems like a very manual process.  How about using or 
> importing the Vista Contacts?

That would be rough since Vista Contacts does not have an Export feature 
that I can find.

-- 
Ron K.
Who is General Failure, and why is he searching my HDD?
Kernel Restore reported Major Error used BSOD to msg the enemy!
0
Ron
1/25/2009 6:25:41 PM
Mickey Segal wrote:
> Thanks, though it seems like a very manual process.  How about using or 
> importing the Vista Contacts?

I don't know about import, but I have verified that TB can use the 
Windows Contacts on Vista if you set up an Outlook (Express?) address 
book per these instructions:
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_Outlook_%28Express%29_contacts_with_Thunderbird_or_Mozilla_Mail>.
0
Joshua
1/25/2009 6:32:36 PM
On 25-01-2009 23:55, Ron K. wrote:
> Mickey Segal on 1/25/2009 11:41 AM, keyboarded a reply:
>> "Joshua Cranmer" <Pidgeot18@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> news:8IidnX3X9-ebRObUnZ2dnUVZ_ozinZ2d@mozilla.org...
>>> The bug can be tracked here:
>>> <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=394687>. It has already
>>> been identified as wanted for TB 3, but not blocking. I don't know
>>> enough to be able to say whether or not this makes TB 3.
>>
>> Thanks, though it seems like a very manual process. How about using or
>> importing the Vista Contacts?
>
> That would be rough since Vista Contacts does not have an Export feature
> that I can find.

It does. You can export to vcards or csv.

0
Siddharth
1/25/2009 7:08:19 PM
Siddharth Agarwal on 1/25/2009 2:08 PM, keyboarded a reply:
> On 25-01-2009 23:55, Ron K. wrote:
>> Mickey Segal on 1/25/2009 11:41 AM, keyboarded a reply:
>>> "Joshua Cranmer" <Pidgeot18@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> news:8IidnX3X9-ebRObUnZ2dnUVZ_ozinZ2d@mozilla.org...
>>>> The bug can be tracked here:
>>>> <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=394687>. It has already
>>>> been identified as wanted for TB 3, but not blocking. I don't know
>>>> enough to be able to say whether or not this makes TB 3.
>>>
>>> Thanks, though it seems like a very manual process. How about using or
>>> importing the Vista Contacts?
>>
>> That would be rough since Vista Contacts does not have an Export feature
>> that I can find.
> 
> It does. You can export to vcards or csv.
> 


I can not find any UI that lets me do an export. Start meny lanched wab.exr 
which opens an explorer window and lists my Contact.  I have to click the 
contact to read it and that is the only UI presented. The UI has no 
import/export function that is visible.  It appears to be nothing but a 
stand alone contact viewer/editor.

-- 
Ron K.
Who is General Failure, and why is he searching my HDD?
Kernel Restore reported Major Error used BSOD to msg the enemy!
0
Ron
1/25/2009 7:43:16 PM
On 26-01-2009 01:13, Ron K. wrote:
>
>
> I can not find any UI that lets me do an export. Start meny lanched
> wab.exr which opens an explorer window and lists my Contact. I have to
> click the contact to read it and that is the only UI presented. The UI
> has no import/export function that is visible. It appears to be nothing
> but a stand alone contact viewer/editor.
>

Make sure the folder type is set to Contacts. (right click -> Customize 
this folder...)

You should be able to then see the buttons to import or export in the 
bar above.
0
Siddharth
1/25/2009 7:45:00 PM
Siddharth Agarwal on 1/25/2009 2:45 PM, keyboarded a reply:
> On 26-01-2009 01:13, Ron K. wrote:
>>
>>
>> I can not find any UI that lets me do an export. Start meny lanched
>> wab.exr which opens an explorer window and lists my Contact. I have to
>> click the contact to read it and that is the only UI presented. The UI
>> has no import/export function that is visible. It appears to be nothing
>> but a stand alone contact viewer/editor.
>>
> 
> Make sure the folder type is set to Contacts. (right click -> Customize 
> this folder...)
> 
> You should be able to then see the buttons to import or export in the 
> bar above.

Thank You.  I know I would not have found that solution on my own. Vista is 
nothing like working with Windows ME, which is what I jumped from.

-- 
Ron K.
Who is General Failure, and why is he searching my HDD?
Kernel Restore reported Major Error used BSOD to msg the enemy!
0
Ron
1/25/2009 9:14:08 PM
"Siddharth Agarwal" <sid1337@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:KMKdnYdy6-CgXOHUnZ2dnUVZ_gidnZ2d@mozilla.org...
> Make sure the folder type is set to Contacts. (right click -> Customize 
> this folder...)
>
> You should be able to then see the buttons to import or export in the bar 
> above.

I had to right click on the Contacts folder, select Properties, select the 
Customize tab, and use the choice under "Use this folder type as a 
template".  But now I too see Import and Export.

The Contacts folder metaphor in Vista, BTW, is terrible.  For example, if 
you search for a contact and fail to find one, you are now in a "Search 
Results in Contacts" folder, which does not have a "New contact" icon.  The 
icon is still available if you click the back arrow to the "Contacts", but 
the restriction is not very intuitive.   Another weird thing about Vista 
contacts is if you search for any name in your user name, such as your first 
or last name, all contacts are returned as search results.  There used to be 
a workaround in which you could type your last name backwards to find your 
last name forwards, but that seems to be gone now.  It makes it hard to 
search for family members. 

0
Mickey
1/28/2009 9:08:15 PM
"Joshua Cranmer" <Pidgeot18@verizon.net> wrote in message 
news:G--dnZcfw9nYLeHUnZ2dnUVZ_ofinZ2d@mozilla.org...
> I don't know about import, but I have verified that TB can use the Windows 
> Contacts on Vista if you set up an Outlook (Express?) address book per 
> these instructions:
> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_Outlook_%28Express%29_contacts_with_Thunderbird_or_Mozilla_Mail>.

Is there a way to export from Vista Contacts to an Outlook (Express?) 
address book?

Hopefully these conversions will be put into Thunderbird 3, because if it is 
very difficult to switch to Thunderbird, not many people will do it.

I was thinking of  switching to Thunderbird, as described in the original 
post, but since there is no rush I figure I'll wait at least until 
Thunderbird 3.  But I'm worried that not many others will follow.  If I have 
to do the conversion manually I'll be glad to write step-by-step 
instructions, but an automated conversion would be preferable. 

0
Mickey
1/28/2009 9:13:56 PM
Mickey Segal wrote:
> "Joshua Cranmer" <Pidgeot18@verizon.net> wrote in message 
> news:G--dnZcfw9nYLeHUnZ2dnUVZ_ofinZ2d@mozilla.org...
>> I don't know about import, but I have verified that TB can use the 
>> Windows Contacts on Vista if you set up an Outlook (Express?) address 
>> book per these instructions:
>> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_Outlook_%28Express%29_contacts_with_Thunderbird_or_Mozilla_Mail>. 
>>
> 
> Is there a way to export from Vista Contacts to an Outlook (Express?) 
> address book?

Sorry, I was unclear in my instructions.

The mechanism that TB uses to access Outlook and Outlook Express address 
books supports Vista Contacts as well. I'm not sure if I had to use the 
Outlook form of the preferences or the Outlook Express form to get to 
the address book, but one of them worked.

So, if you follow those instructions, you will find that address book in TB.
0
Joshua
1/28/2009 10:10:19 PM
"Joshua Cranmer" <Pidgeot18@verizon.net> wrote in message 
news:U_SdnY1USIZWSh3UnZ2dnUVZ_s7inZ2d@mozilla.org...
> The mechanism that TB uses to access Outlook and Outlook Express address 
> books supports Vista Contacts as well. I'm not sure if I had to use the 
> Outlook form of the preferences or the Outlook Express form to get to the 
> address book, but one of them worked.
>
> So, if you follow those instructions, you will find that address book in 
> TB.

Great.  That will be less daunting for people. 

0
Mickey
1/29/2009 1:04:57 AM
Reply: