EXTREMELY slow IMAP --> outlook.office365.com SINCE ~March 1 ....

I'm a dinasaur and also an EXTREMELY long time TBird user.  HATE the outsou=
rced solution our University has chosen (along with half the planet, i gues=
s!) ... and have absolutely ZERO reason to consider switching.

That is, ZERO prior to around the first of March !

Extremely slow performance, freezing 15+ seconds between operations, has al=
most reached my limit !  O365 server itself, using OLook, performance no ch=
ange.  Tested against 3 separate TBird installs =3D ALL have exact same per=
formance.  Tried the 'tricks' in TBird faq.  IMAP via Android - FAST.  And =
just today, in a fit of desperation, I installed another free (but not open=
 source, I dont think) non'microsoft client... performance is FAST.

I believe I looked, and there WAS a disto update around this March 1 time f=
rame.

So, my quick question to all of you.... IS THIS SOMETHING in the TBird clie=
nt, noticed by others, perhaps noticed by the dev team ...and PERHAPS being=
 rectified SOON ???

Thanks
Rich Pinder
USC School of Medicine
0
richpindertalk
4/10/2019 1:34:17 AM
mozilla.dev.apps.thunderbird 3410 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 10/04/2019 03:34, richpindertalk@gmail.com wrote:
> I believe I looked, and there WAS a disto update around this March 1 time frame.
>
> So, my quick question to all of you.... IS THIS SOMETHING in the TBird client, noticed by others, perhaps noticed by the dev team ...and PERHAPS being rectified SOON ???

So which version are you on now? And what did you have before. Then we
can check whether anything changed in IMAP.

J�rg.

0
UTF
4/10/2019 7:16:01 AM
On Tue Apr 09 2019 21:34:17 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time),
richpindertalk@gmail.com <richpindertalk@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a dinasaur and also an EXTREMELY long time TBird user.  HATE the outsourced solution our University has chosen (along with half the planet, i guess!) ... and have absolutely ZERO reason to consider switching.
>
> That is, ZERO prior to around the first of March !
>
> Extremely slow performance, freezing 15+ seconds between operations, has almost reached my limit !

I'm a heavy IMAP user with pots of large mailstores, many on Office365,
and I had a lot of problems when we first switched (I kicked and
screamed, but no one listened to me).

My problem turned out to be the port I was using.

If you are using port 143 + STARTTLS, try switching to port 993 + SSL/TLS.

That solved pretty much all of my problems.
0
Tanstaafl
4/10/2019 2:10:29 PM
Thanks Jorg & Tanstaafl... [i thought I posted this earlier...didnt go thru=
]

been using 993 + ssl/tls for years now

version - current: 60.6.1; =C2=A0Think the 60.5.x group worked fine.....

ALSO - one other tidbit... I have a TBird install, same platform, same TBir=
d version, using IMAP - but NOT to O365 (it connects to my wife's justemail=
..net server:  WORKS PERFECT, no lag, no messages saying  'Not Responding' !

Thanks in advance for your thoughts !

r=C2=A0
richpindertalk
4/11/2019 1:17:29 AM
On Wed Apr 10 2019 21:17:29 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time),
richpindertalk@gmail.com <richpindertalk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Jorg & Tanstaafl... [i thought I posted this earlier...didnt go =
thru]
>=20
> been using 993 + ssl/tls for years now
>=20
> version - current: 60.6.1; =C2=A0Think the 60.5.x group worked fine....=
..

I'm on 60.6.1 and it is working fine with 8 Office 365 accounts (all
IMAP), so I don't think the version is the problem.

> ALSO - one other tidbit... I have a TBird install, same platform, same =
TBird version, using IMAP - but NOT to O365 (it connects to my wife's jus=
temail.net server:  WORKS PERFECT, no lag, no messages saying  'Not Respo=
nding' !

Maybe a profile issue - I can't remember, have you tried a clean profile?

> Thanks in advance for your thoughts !

The only other things I can think of are ...

Antivirus interfering (if you are scanning in/outbound email, don't)?

Check your offline settings - are you using GLODA? Is it trying to Sync
GBs of email?
0
Tanstaafl
4/11/2019 1:02:43 PM
Thanks Tanstaafl ... did two things:
1) in OFFLINE settings, turned off the 'automatically from previously online...'
2) set Proxy settings to  'auto detect from network'  (it was on 'use system proxy')

SEEMS to have solved my issues !
Thanks SO much.. and so glad I will no longer be tempted to abandon my FAV email client !!

Rich
0
richpindertalk