Dropping 1.9.2, Going 1.9.3 for SeaMonkey 2.1

[re-post of
http://home.kairo.at/blog/2010-02/dropping_1_9_2_going_1_9_3_for_seamonkey
here in the groups/lists]

I blogged on SeaMonkey 2.1 planning earlier in
http://home.kairo.at/blog/2010-01/seamonkey_2_1_planning and also about
the fact that we have been unsure if we should go 1.9.2 or 1.9.3 in
terms of the platform there.

I sent mails to the SeaMonkey Council and a few quite active developers
in the last days, and asked for opinions on dropping support for 1.9.2
and going for firmly basing SeaMonkey 2.1 on Mozilla platform 1.9.3 instead.

Nobody was really against that, and most people were firmly or mostly
supportive, so that we decided to go for this.

With this, the suite directory and application on comm-central will only
support 1.9.3 from now on, and SeaMonkey will not support 1.9.2 at all.

We will be erroring out for --enable-application=suite builds when a
Mozilla 1.9.2 tree is in use (bug 546484), and also remove 1.9.2 ifdefs
from the suite/ directory in comm-central (bug 546487).

This only affects SeaMonkey-specific code, of course, and Thunderbird
will be going for 1.9.2 as main target from the same comm-central tree,
so any shared code needs ifdefs to deal with 1.9.2 vs. 1.9.3 until we
branch comm-1.9.2 some time in the future (bug 544237).

We hope we can work towards a good SeaMonkey 2.1 release with
improvements in features and be able to close the gap to Firefox by
releasing closer to their next final release. Scheduling for both those
releases is still a bit unsure, but we'll see more about that once we
get a clearer picture of what features we can get in and what state
we're in for delivering something stable to users (that's true for both
Firefox and SeaMonkey).

Robert Kaiser
0
Robert
2/16/2010 9:02:00 PM
mozilla.dev.apps.thunderbird 3459 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 2010-02-16, at 4:02 PM, Robert Kaiser wrote:

> I sent mails to the SeaMonkey Council and a few quite active =
developers in the last days, and asked for opinions on dropping support =
for 1.9.2 and going for firmly basing SeaMonkey 2.1 on Mozilla platform =
1.9.3 instead.

That's great news, and I think it'll be best for everyone in terms of =
focusing all the Mozilla platform related development on the same =
target.

At the same time, I hope the SeaMonkey Council (great mental image!) =
understands that, as of this time, there's no roadmap for when Mozilla =
1.9.3 will be finalized. My gut feeling is late 2010, but there's still =
a bunch of work to be done before I can give a date in which I have a =
strong degree of confidence.

cheers,
mike=
0
Mike
2/16/2010 9:08:42 PM
Mike Beltzner wrote:
> On 2010-02-16, at 4:02 PM, Robert Kaiser wrote:
>
>> I sent mails to the SeaMonkey Council and a few quite active developers in the last days, and asked for opinions on dropping support for 1.9.2 and going for firmly basing SeaMonkey 2.1 on Mozilla platform 1.9.3 instead.
>
> That's great news, and I think it'll be best for everyone in terms of focusing all the Mozilla platform related development on the same target.

I agree, and especially as we are trying to team up with the KompoZer
project to get editor/Composer beefed up again, we might want to get
something into the platform that helps that project as well, which of
course is better to do for 1.9.3 than for an already stable release.

> At the same time, I hope the SeaMonkey Council (great mental image!) understands that, as of this time, there's no roadmap for when Mozilla 1.9.3 will be finalized. My gut feeling is late 2010, but there's still a bunch of work to be done before I can give a date in which I have a strong degree of confidence.

We are aware of that, and that's the main reason why it took as somewhat
longer than expected to come to a decision here, but I think a fall
release would match us fine, actually.

Robert Kaiser
0
Robert
2/16/2010 9:22:38 PM
On 02/16/2010 01:02 PM, Robert Kaiser wrote:
> [re-post of
> http://home.kairo.at/blog/2010-02/dropping_1_9_2_going_1_9_3_for_seamonkey
> here in the groups/lists]
>
> I blogged on SeaMonkey 2.1 planning earlier in
> http://home.kairo.at/blog/2010-01/seamonkey_2_1_planning and also about
> the fact that we have been unsure if we should go 1.9.2 or 1.9.3 in
> terms of the platform there.
>
> I sent mails to the SeaMonkey Council and a few quite active developers
> in the last days, and asked for opinions on dropping support for 1.9.2
> and going for firmly basing SeaMonkey 2.1 on Mozilla platform 1.9.3 instead.
>
> Nobody was really against that, and most people were firmly or mostly
> supportive, so that we decided to go for this.
>
> With this, the suite directory and application on comm-central will only
> support 1.9.3 from now on, and SeaMonkey will not support 1.9.2 at all.
>
> We will be erroring out for --enable-application=suite builds when a
> Mozilla 1.9.2 tree is in use (bug 546484), and also remove 1.9.2 ifdefs
> from the suite/ directory in comm-central (bug 546487).
>
> This only affects SeaMonkey-specific code, of course, and Thunderbird
> will be going for 1.9.2 as main target from the same comm-central tree,
> so any shared code needs ifdefs to deal with 1.9.2 vs. 1.9.3 until we
> branch comm-1.9.2 some time in the future (bug 544237).

Been away for a few weeks, so trying to catch up now... What issues will
this have w/lightning which finally is starting to sync well with
SeaMonkey? See:

<http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/calendar/2010/02/lightning_builds_move_towards.html>

0
NoOp
3/3/2010 10:15:40 PM
NoOp wrote:

>Been away for a few weeks, so trying to catch up now... What issues will
>this have w/lightning which finally is starting to sync well with
>SeaMonkey? See:
>
><http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/calendar/2010/02/lightning_builds_move_towards.html>

What it basically means is that you should not expect Lightning nightlies
and SeaMonkey nightlies to play along very well.

You should also not expect Lightning 1.0 beta2 to support SeaMonkey.

Cya
Simon
--
Calendar Localisation (L10n) Coordinator
Calendar website maintainer: http://www.calendar-project.org
NoOp wrote:
> What issues will
> this have w/lightning which finally is starting to sync well with
> SeaMonkey?

We still need to work out the details of that, we hope to get something
that works for both our teams there.

Robert Kaiser
0
Robert
3/4/2010 1:00:38 AM
On 03/03/2010 05:00 PM, Robert Kaiser wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> What issues will
>> this have w/lightning which finally is starting to sync well with
>> SeaMonkey?
>
> We still need to work out the details of that, we hope to get something
> that works for both our teams there.
>
> Robert Kaiser

Well, hopefully you can get it sorted out with Simon Paquet as I'd hate
to see lightning support get dropped/borked after it's finally working
well with SM 2.0.

0
NoOp
3/4/2010 2:01:10 AM
NoOp wrote:
> Well, hopefully you can get it sorted out with Simon Paquet as I'd hate
> to see lightning support get dropped/borked after it's finally working
> well with SM 2.0.

Same here. It's mostly a question of (human) resources, I guess - and
whatever trickery else is needed, but technical concerns can usually be
solved. ;-)

Robert Kaiser
0
Robert

Web resources about - Dropping 1.9.2, Going 1.9.3 for SeaMonkey 2.1 - mozilla.dev.apps.thunderbird

The Hawaiian Seamonkey
Diving, eating, gardening, loving the Big Island of Hawaii

The SeaMonkey® Project
The SeaMonkey project is a community effort to develop the SeaMonkeyall-in-one internet application suite (see below).Such a software suite was ...

SeaMonkey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
cross-platform Internet suite . It is the continuation of the former Mozilla Application Suite , based on the same source code. Core Mozilla ...

Review: SeaMonkey 1.1.8 for the Mac
SeaMonkey 1.1.8, the Mozilla Foundation's all-in-one Internet application, combines browsing, e-mail, HTML editing, and IRC chat.

SeaMonkey 2.3 Beta 1 arrives for testing
Based on the same Gecko browser engine as Firefox 6, SeaMonkey 2.3 Beta 1 has been released for testing. It offers improvements to WebGL that ...

SeaMonkey Offers Browser, E-Mail, and Chat
... resuscitated a group of Internet tools built by Netscapewhose spin-off, Mozilla, brought out the popular Firefox Web browser. Renamed SeaMonkey ...

SeaMonkey, Mozilla's all-in-one Internet suite, releases new beta
The SeaMonkey Project has released SeaMonkey 2.1 Beta 3 , a version that makes a lot of new functionality available to a wide audience for the ...

SeaMonkey review
Browse the web, work with mail, chat in IRC and edit HTML

SeaMonkey 2.33
... advanced e-mail, newsgroup and feed client, IRC chat, and HTML editing made simple, all your Internet needs in one application. The SeaMonkey ...

Seamonkey 1.1 Released
stuuf writes "Version 1.1 of the Seamonkey Internet Application Suite is now available, with quite a few improvements over the 1.0 series. Some ...