custom protocol handler

How can I define a custom protocol handler in Thunderbird to call an
external program when a specially formatted link is clicked in an HTML
email?

I generate some HTML reports that are emailed.  I want to have clickable
links in the reports that will take various actions on a web server
without opening a browser.  My thought was to create a link like
    abcd://localhost:9999/do_something
so that when user clicks the link it will call the external program
which can do whatever I want (like a wget to call the webserver).  So I
need to somehow tell Thunderbird to call a specific external program to
handle the abcd protocol.

Any ideas?

Mitch

0
Mitch
6/15/2009 3:51:16 PM
mozilla.dev.apps.thunderbird 3449 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 15.06.2009 17:51, Mitch Claborn wrote:
> How can I define a custom protocol handler in Thunderbird to call an
> external program when a specially formatted link is clicked in an HTML
> email?
>
> I generate some HTML reports that are emailed.  I want to have clickable
> links in the reports that will take various actions on a web server
> without opening a browser.  My thought was to create a link like
>      abcd://localhost:9999/do_something
> so that when user clicks the link it will call the external program
> which can do whatever I want (like a wget to call the webserver).  So I
> need to somehow tell Thunderbird to call a specific external program to
> handle the abcd protocol.

As dmose said, TB looks at the OS for URL schemes it doesn't know, like
abcd:. In Windows, it's in the registry, next to the file extensions.
0
Ben
6/15/2009 9:38:11 PM
On 15.06.2009 17:51, Mitch Claborn wrote:
> How can I define a custom protocol handler in Thunderbird to call an
> external program when a specially formatted link is clicked in an HTML
> email?
>
> I generate some HTML reports that are emailed.  I want to have clickable
> links in the reports that will take various actions on a web server
> without opening a browser.  My thought was to create a link like
>      abcd://localhost:9999/do_something
> so that when user clicks the link it will call the external program
> which can do whatever I want (like a wget to call the webserver).  So I
> need to somehow tell Thunderbird to call a specific external program to
> handle the abcd protocol.

As dmose said, TB looks at the OS for URL schemes it doesn't know, like
abcd:. In Windows, it's in the registry, next to the file extensions.
0
Ben
6/15/2009 9:38:11 PM
Here is what worked for me (Linux / Suse)

gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/mmmm/command 'mm_launch_app
%s' --type String
gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/mmmm/enabled --type Boolean true
gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/mmmm/needs_terminal --type
Boolean false

gconftool-2 -a /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/mmmm

Ben Bucksch wrote:
> On 15.06.2009 17:51, Mitch Claborn wrote:
>> How can I define a custom protocol handler in Thunderbird to call an
>> external program when a specially formatted link is clicked in an HTML
>> email?
>>
>> I generate some HTML reports that are emailed.  I want to have clickable
>> links in the reports that will take various actions on a web server
>> without opening a browser.  My thought was to create a link like
>>      abcd://localhost:9999/do_something
>> so that when user clicks the link it will call the external program
>> which can do whatever I want (like a wget to call the webserver).  So I
>> need to somehow tell Thunderbird to call a specific external program to
>> handle the abcd protocol.
>>

> As dmose said, TB looks at the OS for URL schemes it doesn't know,
> like abcd:. In Windows, it's in the registry, next to the file
> extensions.

0
Mitch

Custom protocol handler and channel
I am trying to implement a custom protocol handler and channel. What I want to achieve is if a request goes to app:/shows it handles the request via a call to a python class(via pyxpcom). I have half working code available at: http://code.google.com/p/uxpython/source/browse/xul/components/ notably nsIWSGIChannel.py It works for direct requests if I comment out (loadGroup.addRequest) but fails for ajax calls. Which I assume is because of ignoring loadgroup. But adding addRequest in asyncOpen makes my call to listener.onDataAvailable fail with NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED. Any help is appr...

network.protocol-handler.app broken
Name: Denis Cheong Email: denisatdenisandyukidotnet Product: Shiretoko Alpha 1 Summary: network.protocol-handler.app broken Comments: This configuration option is broken in Firefox 3.0 and is still broken in Firefox 3.1 http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?comments_parentId=74068&forumId=1 Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686 (x86_64); en-US; rv:1.9.1a1) Gecko/2008072306 Shiretoko/3.1a1 From URL: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/3.1a1/firstrun/ ...

Thunderbird 3
Hi, I'd like to create a Thunderbird extension that operates on the content of the email when it is displayed and replaces text of form: /file/path/to/scenefile.ma With: maya:/file/path/to/scenefile.ma So that I can then register a custom protocol handler that runs the appropriate program to deal with the file path. The concept is similar to the TextLink extension, though for custom protocols instead of http. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/1939 I've downloaded and looked into that extension but I'm new to extensions ...

custom protocol handlers and window locations
I am implementing a custom protocol handler via the nsIProtocolHandler and contractIDs. The protocol handler simply returns a channel of a xul document. It works fine. However, I am also passing a parameter to the URL of the xul page. If I try to get the url inside the XUL page, to retrieve the special value, I get the url of the protocol handler and not the chrome url. I understand that this might be the desired behaviour but is there a way to get the original url, i.e. the chrome:// url? If it is not possible what is the preferred way to pass extra information to the document cre...

Working with post request on a custom protocol handler
Hi, Im writting a custom protocol handler in javascript and i'm able to work with GET requests but i can't get POST requests from an html form working. I have being playing with nsIUploadChannel but i think i'm not doing it right. Any tip will be appreciated. Thanks ...

Custom Configuration Section Handler in App.config
Hi all; I have created a solution which has almost the same style as duwamish, I have Common, SystemFramework, DataAccess, BusinessRules, BusinessFacade components with 1 Web Application as UI. I would like to create Windows Application that will use some of the components I have like the Facade SystemFramework and Common. However i am having hardtime creating a Custom Configuration Section Handler in App.config. Please help. Thanks in advance. BTW heres the code for my App.config <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <configuration&g...

App manager and Dev Apps
Hello, I am experiencing problems to debug apps loaded in the App Manager. I don't have this problem if the App is downloaded from the Marketpalce and debugged with the App Manager. Is there a known problem to debug Dev Apps, loaded from a directory in your computer? Thanks, Juanma ...

How to getting custom protocol custom-protocol://some-uri-path to act like http to support page browser?
For example. custom-protocol://some-uri-path/test.html I want the test.html works like http://some-web-site/test.html That I can navigate in the html page. On 6/24/15 1:10 PM, Yonggang Luo wrote: > For example. > custom-protocol://some-uri-path/test.html > > I want the test.html works like > > http://some-web-site/test.html > That I can navigate in the html page. > Check out nsIProtocolHandler Here is an implementation that directly forwards to http(s): http://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/calendar/base/src/calProtocolHandler.js Ph...

custom URL protocol handler apparently ignored by Firefox
hey, I am writing a xulrunner based stand alone application (not a firefox extension) and I need to be able to launch it from the default web browser. I programmatically implemented http://kb.mozillazine.org/Register_protocol for the Windows case (i.e. using registry keys) Opera and IE manage to launch my app. However, Firefox keeps prompting to choose for an app without suggesting my app by default. I have seen other app being launched/prompte by FF, for instance through picasa:// or ymsgr://. I have tested on XP and and Vista with no luck. What can I be missing? How ca...

Using internal and external http protocol handler in XUL app
Hi all, I'm developing a stand-alone XUL app with a single window displaying a web = application running on a local server. Somewhere in my main.xul file there = is the browser pointing to the application: <browser type=3D"content-primary" id=3D"webapp" src=3D"http://url-to-webapp= " flex=3D"1"/> No it happens that inside the webapp there are links to different http reso= urces, which I would like to open in the (OS's) default web application. Bu= t when I set the preferences for my app to handle http externally (pref("ne= ...

How to get POST data which using custom protocol handler C++
I have implemented a custom protocol handler. Now i am trying to get the POST data when a post request is made to my custom protocol. So far i have nsiProtocolHandler::NewChannel in which i changed the scheme of the uri from custom to "https" and created new channel. In my channel i have implemented nsiUploadChannel::SetUploadStream(...) . But SetUploadStream never gets called. My understanding is that nsiInputstream in SetUploadStream will have the POST data. ...

Solving cross-origin script problem ("permission denied") when using custom protocol handler
I have a page in my extension loaded from my own protocol handler. This = page loads script both from the local disk (using the same protocol = handler) and remote script loaded via HTTPS. When I try to access = properties on objects instantiated in the remote script from my local = script, I get "permission denied" errors. I assume that I need either to subsume the principal of the remote site = in my principle or relax the content security policy (similar to what = can be done with the HTTP Content-Security-Policy header). Is there some = way to do either of these program...

Custom/User Controls in Custom Handler (IHttpHandler)
Greetings my fellow developers,Quick question: Is there a way load ASCX or custom controls in ASHX page, just like Page.LoadControl(...) does..? OR Is there a way to use @Register directive inside ASHX page so that it results in rendering the user control? David Hi David,Please note that ashx is actually a generic handler, not a page. It's a raw class implement IHttpHandler interface. And it doesn't have a Control hierarchy.The only way to output a control is to creat an instance of the control, get its output html and write it to response stream. Hope it helps. I understand ...

Web resources about - custom protocol handler - mozilla.dev.apps.thunderbird

List of parties to the Kyoto Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Signing is optional, indicating an intention to ratify the Protocol. Ratification means that an Annex I party (e.g. a developed country or one ...

Jarryd Hayne's return to San Francisco 49ers line-up may hinge on NFL's strict concussion protocol
After suffering a concussion in the disastrous loss to Cleveland, the man standing in Jarryd Hayne's way could find he has no choice but to sit ...

NAB joins global banks to design 'blockchain' protocols
National Australia Bank has joined 20 global global banks in a trial of technologies based on the "blockchain" that facilitates bitcoin transactions. ...

Common payment processing protocols found to be full of flaws
Stealing PINs and pillaging bank accounts are both trivial.

NFL Considering Changes to Officiating Protocol for Playoffs - Bleacher Report
With the NFL officials under the microscope more than ever, the league is contemplating making changes to officiating protocol for the postseason... ...

Theme parks add extra safety protocols - Videos - CBS News
Major U.S. theme parks across the country, including Disney, SeaWorld and Universal Studios, are tightening security measures at entry gates. ...

Terrence Jones returns to practice after passing concussion protocol
Rockets forward Terrence Jones returned to practice on Thursday after going through the NBA’s concussion protocol, saying he felt no loss of ...

IDG Contributor Network: OAuth 2.0: The protocol at the center of the universe
I am writing this article on the iPad Mini using the Editorial app. This app is connected to my Dropbox account and automatically synchronizes ...

'Routine,' 'standard,' and 'protocol' for police usually means overkill for black folks
A neighbor sees someone who may be breaking into a home. Civic-minded and filled with neighborly concern, the witness dials 911 and asks police ...