Any good Editor?

Hi,

Do you know any good editor to edit TB extensions?
0
Amit
5/10/2019 7:15:16 AM
mozilla.dev.apps.thunderbird 3425 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 2019年05月10日 16:15, Amit Yaron wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do you know any good editor to edit TB extensions?

Do you mean an editor that allows us to edit XUL comfortably (i.e., without
messing up "<" ">" matches and other syntactic elements.)?

I use Emacs as a plain text editor and it can cope with many languages but
unfortunately
XUL is something it cannot cope with very well (at least parenthesis are
matched on the fly, but XUL
is a fragile combination of XML-like structure with JavaScript thrown in as
part of ordinary text.).

I have no idea if XUL will stay on forever for TB: if so, someone might want
to create a serious XUL-mode for Emacs.

0
ishikawa
5/10/2019 9:45:36 AM
On 10.5.2019 12:45, ishikawa wrote:
> On 2019年05月10日 16:15, Amit Yaron wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do you know any good editor to edit TB extensions?
>
> Do you mean an editor that allows us to edit XUL comfortably (i.e., without
> messing up "<" ">" matches and other syntactic elements.)?
>
> I use Emacs as a plain text editor and it can cope with many languages but
> unfortunately
> XUL is something it cannot cope with very well (at least parenthesis are
> matched on the fly, but XUL
> is a fragile combination of XML-like structure with JavaScript thrown in as
> part of ordinary text.).
>
> I have no idea if XUL will stay on forever for TB: if so, someone might want
> to create a serious XUL-mode for Emacs.

Thanks,
I think an IDE that can automatically create sub-directories and
skeletons will be great.

0
Amit
5/10/2019 10:00:52 AM
On 10 May 2019 09:15, Amit Yaron wrote:

> Do you know any good editor to edit TB extensions?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Studio_Code ?

The cross-referencing features can come in handy, too.

J�rg.

0
UTF
5/10/2019 10:52:49 AM
On 5/10/19 12:00 PM, Amit Yaron wrote:
> On 10.5.2019 12:45, ishikawa wrote:
>> On 2019=E5=B9=B405=E6=9C=8810=E6=97=A5 16:15, Amit Yaron wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Do you know any good editor to edit TB extensions?
>>
>> Do you mean an editor that allows us to edit XUL comfortably (i.e.,=20
>> without
>> messing up "<" ">" matches and other syntactic elements.)?
>>
>> I use Emacs as a plain text editor and it can cope with many languages=
=20
>> but
>> unfortunately
>> XUL is something it cannot cope with very well (at least parenthesis a=
re
>> matched on the fly, but XUL
>> is a fragile combination of XML-like structure with JavaScript thrown =

>> in as
>> part of ordinary text.).
>>
>> I have no idea if XUL will stay on forever for TB: if so, someone=20
>> might want
>> to create a serious XUL-mode for Emacs.
>>

> Thanks,
> I think an IDE that can automatically create sub-directories and=20
> skeletons will be great.
>=20

You're looking for a template then, aren't you?

0
dillinger
5/10/2019 4:49:25 PM
A template can be easily created by a script/
Is there any editor that can auto-complete Javascript and check XML
validity?
(something I can easily find in the FreeBSD port list)

On 10.5.2019 19:49, dillinger wrote:
> On 5/10/19 12:00 PM, Amit Yaron wrote:

>>> Do you mean an editor that allows us to edit XUL comfortably (i.e.,
>>> without
>>> messing up "<" ">" matches and other syntactic elements.)?
>>>
>>> I use Emacs as a plain text editor and it can cope with many
>>> languages but
>>> unfortunately
>>> XUL is something it cannot cope with very well (at least parenthesis are
>>> matched on the fly, but XUL
>>> is a fragile combination of XML-like structure with JavaScript thrown
>>> in as
>>> part of ordinary text.).
>>>
>>> I have no idea if XUL will stay on forever for TB: if so, someone
>>> might want
>>> to create a serious XUL-mode for Emacs.
>>>

>> Thanks,
>> I think an IDE that can automatically create sub-directories and
>> skeletons will be great.
>>

> You're looking for a template then, aren't you?

0
Amit
5/11/2019 7:14:15 AM
On 5/11/19 9:14 AM, Amit Yaron wrote:
> A template can be easily created by a script/
> Is there any editor that can auto-complete Javascript and check XML
> validity?
> (something I can easily find in the FreeBSD port list)

Ah, FreeBSD. I use Geany, it's there for FreeBSD too.

 From geany.org:

Geany is a text editor using the GTK+ toolkit with basic features of an
integrated development environment. It was developed to provide a small
and fast IDE, which has only a few dependencies from other packages. It
supports many filetypes and has some nice features. For more details see
About.
0
dillinger
5/11/2019 5:55:07 PM
Thanks!
A great editor.

On 11.5.2019 20:55, dillinger wrote:
> On 5/11/19 9:14 AM, Amit Yaron wrote:
>> A template can be easily created by a script/
>> Is there any editor that can auto-complete Javascript and check XML
>> validity?
>> (something I can easily find in the FreeBSD port list)
>>

> Ah, FreeBSD. I use Geany, it's there for FreeBSD too.
>
>  From geany.org:
>
> Geany is a text editor using the GTK+ toolkit with basic features of an
> integrated development environment. It was developed to provide a small
> and fast IDE, which has only a few dependencies from other packages. It
> supports many filetypes and has some nice features. For more details see
> About.

0
Amit
5/12/2019 12:20:43 PM
On Friday, May 10, 2019 at 3:15:23 AM UTC-4, Amit Yaron wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do you know any good editor to edit TB extensions?

Amit
Take a look at our new documentation covering Thunderbird extensions.
https://developer.thunderbird.net/the-basics/getting-started
Besides the hello world example, ThunderStorm repository also has scaffolds as starting points.

Re: editors,VisualStudio Code has many extensions to help with this kind of development.
Cheers
Christopher
0
Christopher
5/14/2019 2:32:16 AM
On 10/05/2019 08:15, Amit Yaron wrote:
> Do you know any good editor to edit TB extensions?

Sublime, Atom and Visual Studio code are some of the most common for
editing Firefox code. They all have various plugins available (e.g. for
ESLint integration), and generally will do some autocomplete automatically.

Mark

0
Mark
5/14/2019 6:45:43 AM
Thanks,
I didn't know that site.

On 14.5.2019 5:32, Christopher Leidigh wrote:
> On Friday, May 10, 2019 at 3:15:23 AM UTC-4, Amit Yaron wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do you know any good editor to edit TB extensions?
>
> Amit
> Take a look at our new documentation covering Thunderbird extensions.
> https://developer.thunderbird.net/the-basics/getting-started
> Besides the hello world example, ThunderStorm repository also has scaffolds as starting points.
>
> Re: editors,VisualStudio Code has many extensions to help with this kind of development.
> Cheers
> Christopher

0
Amit
5/20/2019 6:03:19 AM
On 10.5.2019 10:15, Amit Yaron wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do you know any good editor to edit TB extensions?
Thank you all for your advice.
0
Amit
5/20/2019 6:03:53 AM
At least in the Smartphone Version, the dtn Page does not seem to give any Link to Addon Development, or did I oversee that?
0
opto
5/20/2019 6:42:28 AM
Opto,

The DTN page has add-on development information starting here:
https://developer.thunderbird.net/add-ons/about-add-ons - and it
continues, detailing how to create a MailExtension and also details,
extensively, how to update an existing add-on.

Is that what you were looking for? Or something else?

Ryan Sipes
Community and Business Development Manager
Thunderbird <https://thunderbird.net>

On 5/20/19 12:42 AM, opto wrote:
> At least in the Smartphone Version, the dtn Page does not seem to give any Link to Addon Development, or did I oversee that?
Ryan
5/22/2019 4:47:17 PM
Ryan, I know those Pages.

This was just meant to Show that you can only find them if you know about them because the Main Page in Smartphone Display does not Show a Link.
0
opto