addon menu item no longer shown

there must have been a change between 60.1 or 2 and current 60.6.1:
custom menu items no longer turn up in tools menu by overlay. They did in early TB 60.

Nothing is indicated in error console.
I don't see anything relevant (I think) in the wiki document: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Add-ons_Guide_57

so what do I have to change? Or where do I have to look for info?
Currently, the overlay is for chrome://messenger/content/messenger.xul

thanks,

Klaus
0
opto
4/8/2019 3:12:56 PM
mozilla.dev.apps.thunderbird 3424 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 08/04/2019 17:12, opto wrote:
> there must have been a change between 60.1 or 2 and current 60.6.1:
> custom menu items no longer turn up in tools menu by overlay. They did in early TB 60.

Hmm, can you publish your code or provide a link.

I'm not aware of any changes, but Axel had a big fight with the menus in
his add-on. His add-on broke somewhere in the range you mentioned, I
believe. I'll CC him.

J�rg.

0
UTF
4/8/2019 8:44:24 PM
On 2019年04月09日 05:44, Jörg Knobloch wrote:
> On 08/04/2019 17:12, opto wrote:
>> there must have been a change between 60.1 or 2 and current 60.6.1:
>> custom menu items no longer turn up in tools menu by overlay. They did in
>> early TB 60.
>
> Hmm, can you publish your code or provide a link.
>
> I'm not aware of any changes, but Axel had a big fight with the menus in his
> add-on. His add-on broke somewhere in the range you mentioned, I believe.
> I'll CC him.
>
> Jörg.

Firefox has a working regression-range finder tool.
(mozregression). It worked wonders to narrow down the problematic patch set
when I reported the
problem of XIM-based Japanese input not working very well any more for FF
and TB.
I used FF to see where the problem was introduced using mozregression and
the patch causing the issue was identified rather quickly.

I wonder if an equivalent working TB tool is available.
If so, inquiry similar to the one can be answered by
finding out the responsible patches for the changed behavior on a certain
date or date range.

Just a thought.

Chiaki

0
ishikawa
4/9/2019 10:07:48 AM

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 12:08 PM ishikawa <ishikawa@yk.rim.or.jp> wrote:

> On 2019=E5=B9=B404=E6=9C=8809=E6=97=A5 05:44, J=C3=B6rg Knobloch wrote:
> > On 08/04/2019 17:12, opto wrote:
> >> there must have been a change between 60.1 or 2 and current 60.6.1:
> >> custom menu items no longer turn up in tools menu by overlay. They did
> in
> >> early TB 60.
> >
> > Hmm, can you publish your code or provide a link.
> >
> > I'm not aware of any changes, but Axel had a big fight with the menus i=
> his
> > add-on. His add-on broke somewhere in the range you mentioned, I believ=
e.
> > I'll CC him.
> >
> > J=C3=B6rg.
> >

> Firefox has a working regression-range finder tool.
> (mozregression). It worked wonders to narrow down the problematic patch s=
et
> when I reported the
> problem of XIM-based Japanese input not working very well any more for FF
> and TB.
> I used FF to see where the problem was introduced using mozregression and
> the patch causing the issue was identified rather quickly.
>
> I wonder if an equivalent working TB tool is available.
> If so, inquiry similar to the one can be answered by
> finding out the responsible patches for the changed behavior on a certain
> date or date range.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Chiaki

mozregression and/or mozregession-gui are also usable for Thunderbird. The
only problem is that you have to manually specify comm-central repository.
Further, to diagnose add-on problems, it`s advisable to retain profiles
between each try and possibly since latest version you have to specify
-allow-downgrade command line option.

Onno
0
Onno
4/9/2019 11:47:53 AM
-allow-downgrade command line option

thanks - what would that do? no info by google. would it prevent automatic update?
0
opto
4/9/2019 5:15:09 PM
On 4/9/2019 1:15 PM, opto wrote:
> -allow-downgrade command line option
>
> thanks - what would that do? no info by google. would it prevent automatic update?

By default, newer versions of TB or FX will NOT allow you to start an
older version of with a profile that has already been used by a newer
version.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/dedicated-profiles-firefox-installation#w_what-happens-to-my-profile-if-i-downgrade-to-a-previous-version-of-firefox

0
Wayne
4/9/2019 5:27:59 PM
On 2019/04/10 2:27, Wayne wrote:
> On 4/9/2019 1:15 PM, opto wrote:
>> -allow-downgrade command line option
>>
>> thanks - what would that do? no info by google. would it prevent
>> automatic update?
>
> By default, newer versions of TB or FX will NOT allow you to start an
> older version of with a profile that has already been used by a newer
> version.
>
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/dedicated-profiles-firefox-installation#w_what-happens-to-my-profile-if-i-downgrade-to-a-previous-version-of-firefox

I would try these tips next time I need to find out what patch set
caused a possible issue with TB...

Chiaki

0
ISHIKAWA