SeaMonkey and openh264/widevine

Are there any plans to follow Firefox and have a mechanism to download the
openh264 and widevine stuff the way Firefox does? If not, is it a code
issue? (I am more than willing to get my hands dirty in the SM codebase if
that makes it possible to play the content I want to play) A technical
issue? A policy issue? (i.e. policy decision not to support the DRM even
behind off-by-default settings?) A legal issue? Something else?

I found a bug in bugzilla that basically said "dont support it" (with no
indication on actual plans) and a bug that added the pref for the EME stuff
but I cant find anything clear about whether there are plans to support the
plugin downloads, what issue(s) are preventing support right now and
whether there is anything I can do (e.g. getting dirty with the codebase)
to help make it happen.
0
Jonathan
6/12/2018 11:46:14 PM
mozilla.dev.apps.seamonkey 1507 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

It is unlikely that this will be implemented soon.

There might be ideological reasons because the only rights you have with
digital restriction management is to pay money :)

But there are mostly technical reasons. I think this would need full sandbox
support and currently not enough devs around to fully implement EME. Would
probably be futile too because the big content websites would not support
SeaMonkey.

Personally I think it is here to stay unfortunately and needs to be
implemented even if I would not use it.

Implementing it needs probably a lot of knowledge but if you need help in
setting up a build environment just holler. I can't tell you exactly where
this would need to be implemented. Would just need to look at the Firefox source.

For an easy way out look if portable or regular Chromium supports it.

FRG

Jonathan Wilson wrote:
> Are there any plans to follow Firefox and have a mechanism to download the
> openh264 and widevine stuff the way Firefox does? If not, is it a code issue?
> (I am more than willing to get my hands dirty in the SM codebase if that makes
> it possible to play the content I want to play) A technical issue? A policy
> issue? (i.e. policy decision not to support the DRM even behind off-by-default
> settings?) A legal issue? Something else?
>
> I found a bug in bugzilla that basically said "dont support it" (with no
> indication on actual plans) and a bug that added the pref for the EME stuff
> but I cant find anything clear about whether there are plans to support the
> plugin downloads, what issue(s) are preventing support right now and whether
> there is anything I can do (e.g. getting dirty with the codebase) to help make
> it happen.
0
Frank