Firefox causing a plugin to crash, which in turn crashes Firefox

When you view two pages in a row that contain content for the same plugin,
the plugin's "terminate" function is called, then the plugin's "initialize"
function is called.  However, the plugin binary is not unloaded and
reloaded.  With our plugin, this causes the global pointers for the
memory-management system to not be set to NULL, so when the plugin is
re-initialized, the plugin dereferences an invalid pointer, causing it to
crash, and in turn, crash Firefox.

If a page with no plugin content is loaded between the two pages with plugin
content, there is no crash.

Is this a known bug, and if so, is there a workaround?  This behavior has
been observed in Firefox 1.5.0.1 for Mac, and 1.0.4 for Mac.  It has not
been observed on Firefox for Windows.

(As a side note, I haven't been able to reproduce this bug in 1.5.0.3:
Firefox crashes at the least hint of anything involving a plugin.)

Thanks,
Mark Wagner

0
Mark
5/23/2006 6:26:52 PM
mozilla.dev.apps.firefox 3660 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Firefox is crashing, crashing, crashing. Firefox is crashing, crashing, crashing
Name: chuck marshall Email: chuxatindustryinetdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox is crashing, crashing, crashing. Firefox is crashing, crashing, crashing Comments: Firefox is crashing, crashing, crashing in both ubuntu and wxp on a dual boot laptop. This is a bother. Do something. Tell me what is causing the browser to crap-out when trying to brows. I re-booted, I re-installed. I gave money to madam morningstar to sing a chant to change my f luck, but no dice. What did i do to piss you'll off? I don't want to use windows stuff, I have a spy program, a virus p...

Firefox CRASHES CRASHES AND CRASHES
I don't know what's wrong, but my Firefox crashes all the time. I've been advised to disable all of the addons, and I did so. But still it happens. The version of Firefox is 3.0.14. Opensuse is 11.1. system: 'HP Pavilion a 1730n' (http://tinyurl.com/27zn82) Let me know what I can do. I swear never had Firefox crashed when it was in its 2 versions. -- ipoloton ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Have you tried running a new profile by renaming the old one in /home/<user>/ ? Just rename .mozilla to some...

Firefox causing a DEP crash during closing of Firefox
Name: Daniel Jackson Email: packratsatcableonedotnet Product: Shiretoko Summary: Firefox causing a DEP crash during closing of Firefox Comments: When I close Firefox, I get the DEP message from Vista Business 32 telling me that the program must be shut down. This is amusing since I am trying to close the program! I disabled all add-ins and still get the same message. Firefox 3.1 Beta 2 did not manifest this issue. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1b3) Gecko/20090305 Firefox/3.1b3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.or...

plantage firefox firefox crashed
Bonjour, Voila mon probleme depuis la mise a jour de Kaspersky Antivirus 2009 , mon probl=E8me est le plantage syst=E9matique de Thunderbird 2.014 et de Firefox 3.0 sur une plateforme Hewlett Packard equipe en AMD Turion 64 bits avec windows XPSP2 (je ne peux dailleurs pas installer le patche dhp pour les processeurs amd necessaire =E0 l'installation de windows xp sp3 faute =E0 Kaspersky (dixit la hotline de HP) ) Ensuite jai remarqu=E9 quelque soit le navigateur hormis safari un plantage syst=E9matique lors de consultation de site de mise a jour microsoft update, office up...

both firefox and beta firefox crash
Name: john Email: bassist04athotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: both firefox and beta firefox crash Comments: everytime i loaded either version of firefox it would crash/close no matter what site i went to. I never used to have this problem with the previous release as it is something recent. maybe you know how to resolve said problem?? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b5) Gecko/2008032620 Firefox/3.0b5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Firefox add on crashing firefox
Name: joshua lafrance Email: joshdotlafranceatgmaildotcom Product: eBay Companion Summary: Firefox add on crashing firefox Comments: The add on / plug in is freezing up firefox when an alert box pops up. It does this with the new firefox version 3.0.3. This is happening to me on 2 different computers. It requires opening the task manager to close out firefox. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3 From URL: http://en-gb.www.mozilla.com/en-GB/add-ons/ebay/feedback/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no exp...

firefox crash, I crash.
I use firefox 2.0.0.6 in Linux platform. I attach the following CSS to the root window: style="-moz-appearance:none;background:transparent". Then I run firefox by chrome like that: "firefox -chrome chrome://myApp/content/index.xul. That's OK. But when I attempts to change the window's height in index.xul, firefox crashes and 'segematation fault' is returned. What's going on? ...

Firefox or not Firefox

Firefox 3.6 Crashes, Crashes, Crashes
Name: Clarke Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 3.6 Crashes, Crashes, Crashes Comments: 10.4.11 - crashes, crashes, crashes 10.5.6 - crashes, crashes, crashes What's going on here? Firefox has always been very stable, at least for me. Now it crashes all the time. Crashed when I was making a Federal Tax Deposit. NOT good folks. Maybe we'll deleted Firefox and just run with Safari. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no exp...

Crash crash crash firefox 2.0
On both my windows 98se and my sons windows XP, firefox is crashing when I shut down the computer. On mine I get no messages, but even with firefox closed I get a "firefox is not responding" on ctrl-alt-del. On windows XP a XPCOM error message. Also, when I open an htm file with firefox, filemon shows intense disk activity even 5 minutes after opening the file. Been using since ver 0.6 ... never seen anything like this ......what is happening ? []'s Shadow wrote: > On both my windows 98se and my sons windows XP, firefox is > crashing when I shut down th...

All new releases of Firefox / Minefield / Firefox RC hangs because of flash plugin crash
Name: Robert Jaroszuk Email: zimatiqdotpl Product: Firefox Summary: All new releases of Firefox / Minefield / Firefox RC hangs because of flash plugin crash Comments: Hi guys. Today morning I have downloaded and installed new mozilla firefox package from ubuntu. After this upgrade I noticed that firefox hangs every time I visit a page that has some flash animations / adverts / whatever. Then I tried to use different version of firefox and I noticed that when I install minefield, the problem is the same. Any version released today (10th of April) seems to be buggy. ...

Firefox crashing kills other firefox instances
Is it possible to start each firefox instance with it's only memory instance? Because, when one firefox crashes, it crashes the other firefox windows. Also, when you install an extension you need to restart all firefox instances before the new extension works. Rili <rili@rili.com> wrote in news:425e2679$0$5394$afc38c87 @news.optusnet.com.au: > Is it possible to start each firefox instance with it's only memory > instance? No. -- }:-) Christopher Jahn {:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html Never test for an error condition you...

Firefox/3.5.2 crashes whereas Firefox/3.0.13 does not crash with streaming data
Name: john Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox/3.5.2 crashes whereas Firefox/3.0.13 does not crash with streaming data Comments: Firefox/3.5.2 crashes when I attempt to receive "streaming data" from a certain website, whereas I have always been able to receive such "streaming data" without any problem from such website under Firefox/3.0.13. In other words, Firefox/3.5.2 crashes whereas Firefox/3.0.12 does not crash under the same scenario. From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback ...

mzills.dev.apps.firefox crashes
dear group i am facing problem while i browse firefox it is crashes so plz suggest me for this problems most problem with utube site gaurav.............. Hi Gaurav, Please try using a beta of the next version of Firefox from = http://www.firefox.com/beta - this build includes protection from plugin = crashes. cheers, mike On 2010-06-19, at 3:26 AM, Gaurav Shelar wrote: > dear group i am facing problem while i browse firefox it is crashes > so plz suggest me for this problems most problem with utube site > gaurav.............. > _________________________...

Web resources about - Firefox causing a plugin to crash, which in turn crashes Firefox - mozilla.dev.apps.firefox

Firefox Affiliates

Firefox OS
The latest news about Firefox OS

Techarger Firefox